HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2012, 10:16 PM

vCash: 500
First time we're gonna get a nice draft pick and I don't really like the top ranked players.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
First time we're gonna get a nice draft pick and I don't really like the top ranked players.
I know :S Imagine if we did that last year... Damn... Landeskog, couturier, Huberdeau, RNH...
Damn I would've been happy with Landeskog...God...

Old
02-24-2012, 10:27 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
I'll tell you what, he'll never be le Gros Bill or even remotely close. Greatest Hab ever.
When his wingers were not scoring, he would. And he was tougher than you think. Used to scrap quite a bit, in his quiet way.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:34 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
IMHO it's a pretty good year. Yakupov is a legit #1, more legit than RNH was last year at least, and the top 5 should be damn solid. It's a weak draft for NA forwards no doubt, but it's a pretty strong top 7, and that's where we will be picking.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:35 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Forsberg? While it would make things easier for the decision makers for us to be picking 7th and then having one of Gal/Grig/Forsberg fall to us, I think we have to trust our scouts, and if we are picking 3rd, and have our choice of the 3, it's on our scouts to pick the right guy. Personally I love Galchenyuk, hopefully he can come back before the end of the year and show that he is back to where he was....
Gal is dead to me unless it is 110% certain that he has no issues with the knee. We get possibly our first top 5 pick since Price, and blow it on a guy who may be permanently impaired? I bloody well do not think so. No risks this year OK? No 'let's take a chance on AK' . Not.

We will have a top 8 for sure, maybe even a top 3 or 4. We must not blow this pick.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:45 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
As the Habs fall in the standings, it increases the possibility that they will be able to trade down in the first round.

Notwithstanding a fourth or fifth overall pick, the first tier of players Timmins circled on Timmon's list may already be gone. For argument's sake, let's say Yakupov, Galchenuk and Grigorenko go 1, 2, 3 and Timmins is cooler on the other forwards available. Does he pick a defenceman among the 5 or 6 who are highly touted by most scouts. Maybe Dumba? Murray? Who really knows how they are ranked by the Habs' scouts?

Instead, Gauthier (or whoever is sitting in his chair by that time) may opt to trade down to pick a forward who they prefer to who may be available in the 4 or 5 slot. Again, purely as an example, let's say the Habs have more confidence in Faksa than in Forsberg, especially if they feel that the former will still be on the board if they slide down several picks. A deal may emerge which has the Habs end up with the lower-ranked prospect and another significant asset--in the form of either a young player or an additional draft pick.
This is intelligent. I don't know if Habs will be this intelligent at the draft however.

One thing for sure. If Habs trade down:

1. They had better be absolutely certain their target is a first line high end player, no doubts.
2. You don't guess what other teams are doing in the top ten, you make certain deals with them, and ensure you grab the player you want. You talk to the other GM's and ensure your pick. If not, you don't trade down.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Gal is dead to me unless it is 110% certain that he has no issues with the knee. We get possibly our first top 5 pick since Price, and blow it on a guy who may be permanently impaired? I bloody well do not think so. No risks this year OK? No 'let's take a chance on AK' . Not.

We will have a top 8 for sure, maybe even a top 3 or 4. We must not blow this pick.
Galchenyuk will be back soon, and he'll show what he's got. I hope we pick him. He's the only potential elite talent, outside of Grigorenko and Yakupov, as of right now. According to multiple reports, Galchenyuk is also extremely committed when it comes to off-ice workouts.

Knee injuries, whether ACL or MCL, heal quicker and better at his age, and I'm almost positive it won't be a problem in his career. It's improbable we pick first unless the lottery goes our way, and Galchenyuk would've contended for the top spot had it not been for his injury, he's almost a home run for me. Hopefully he shows what he's capable of when he comes back, which should be soon.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:51 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
An example of how this could pan out:

Montreal 1st (est. 4th overall)........'12
Montreal 3rd................................'13

-for-

Calgary 1st (est. 14th overall)........'12
Calagry 1st (who knows?)..............'13

Quite possibly Calgary will continue to decline and provide us with a top 5 pick next spring in a strong draft year.
Not good enough. Trade a top 4 pick for 2 +- 12th picks? No way. If Mtl trades down this year for a pick the year after, they need a top 10 in 2012, and a certain top 5 in 2013, meaning Columbus and...who else? Very risky.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:53 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
how wicked would it be if we draft yaks!!!

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Yakupov
LeBlanc - Eller - Gionta
Geoffrion - White - Moen

im drooling
We won't draft Yaks.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:54 PM
S Bah

Quote:

If Grigorenko is that lazy,I seen it in the St. John's game for myself,he still got an assist.That being the case I haven't seen as much of Forsberg's game,I did see a highlight that reminded me of Guy.The games I seen of Grigorenko before had left me thinking of Beliveau,the unselfish play the passing shooting and vision he has them all.But the lazy playing without passion leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.What about Faksa or Galchenyuk,I really haven't seen anything but highlights.The Habs really need to be sure this time around,no guesswork make sure these guys are who they say and play like studs that will carry the team and make them better!

Old
02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Well, Simon Boisvert (snake70) the guy who predicted Skinner would be awesome and got a job as a scout because of this thinks the habs should pick Forsberg :

Simon Boisvert ‏ @simonsnake70
@StephRDSJunior Filip Forsberg pour le CH, Stéphane.

@aubryet Oui, 1er overall, mais si en plus Yakupov est parti au tour du CH, il n'y a même plus d'hésitation avant de choisir Forsberg.

@pmaubin J'ai plus de difficulté à évaluer le potentiel maximum de Grigorenko, alors que pour moi, Forsberg = Daniel Alfredsson.
Wow, you get a scouting job for saying a guy hitting 50 in his draft year is going to be good?

Old
02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:

While we mustn't blow the pick, I think more important is hitting a homerun with it. We have a bunch of 60 point types. We need and 80-90 point type, and Gal could be the best shot at that outside of Yakupov.

Though I'm a believer in Grigs.

right now my top 3 is Yak, Grigs, Gal. Forsberg is intriguing but there is literally no video of him and I missed scouting him at the WJC.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:59 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
And that's why I pick Forsberg out of anybody in this draft (Excluding the superstar.)
It's true. 10 month age diff at that age and being a top 5 prospect is very impressive. You can grow 2 inches in 10 months at that age. Forsberg is looking pretty damn good, and I won't cry if we draft him.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:06 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I think if the Habs pick in the Top 5, there are better options. But if they pick outside the Top 5 and he slips, then I say take a chance.
No, no and NON! No risk taking with top ten picks. Do not take risks with top ten picks. May I remind you of the last risk we took top ten?

Old
02-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
No, no and NON! No risk taking with top ten picks. Do not take risks with top ten picks. May I remind you of the last risk we took top ten?
What exactly is the risk when he's pretty much the consensus 2nd player behind Yakupov? He's not much riskier than a guy that missed most of this season or lower ceiling players.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Wow, you get a scouting job for saying a guy hitting 50 in his draft year is going to be good?
Pretty much.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:22 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Well, Simon Boisvert (snake70) the guy who predicted Skinner would be awesome and got a job as a scout because of this thinks the habs should pick Forsberg :

@StephRDSJunior Filip Forsberg pour le CH, Stéphane.

@aubryet Oui, 1er overall, mais si en plus Yakupov est parti au tour du CH, il n'y a même plus d'hésitation avant de choisir Forsberg.

@pmaubin J'ai plus de difficulté à évaluer le potentiel maximum de Grigorenko, alors que pour moi, Forsberg = Daniel Alfredsson.
Boisvert has trouble predicting the potential of Grigs, but he's sure on Forsberg. OK, I buy that. That goes with my no risks in the top ten policy.

But that's not good enough, job's not done, and that's what should separate an amateur scout from a pro scout.

It is the pro scouting staff's JOB to understand the potential of difficult players to predict. I would expect that Habs scouting team know everything they can about Grigs, everything. If our GM does not demand this, then he should not be GM.

The best thing of course besides watching Grigs intently over at least 10 games, is talking to him. I don't know if they do this before the combine, but they should.

If you're not sure on a big no. one center pick for the Habs, the thing we need more than anything by far, well christ, make sure you are sure by the draft. This is one possible window we have, and we desperately need a big no. one center.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
We won't draft Yaks.
Go ask Philly what happened in 07...

Old
02-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Boisvert has trouble predicting the potential of Grigs, but he's sure on Forsberg. OK, I buy that. That goes with my no risks in the top ten policy.

But that's not good enough, job's not done, and that's what should separate an amateur scout from a pro scout.

It is the pro scouting staff's JOB to understand the potential of difficult players to predict. I would expect that Habs scouting team know everything they can about Grigs, everything. If our GM does not demand this, then he should not be GM.

The best thing of course besides watching Grigs intently over at least 10 games, is talking to him. I don't know if they do this before the combine, but they should.

If you're not sure on a big no. one center pick for the Habs, the thing we need more than anything by far, well christ, make sure you are sure by the draft. This is one possible window we have, and we desperately need a big no. one center.
What we need is elite talent. Wether it's on the wing or at center.
We already have contender depth at C. At wings ? We have basically two good players. One of them is getting old. And we got 2 or 3 (Depend's on AK) 25 goal guys. The real problem is on the wing's.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:34 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Yeah, his name was Carey Price...

Old
02-24-2012, 11:42 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
Galchenyuk will be back soon, and he'll show what he's got. I hope we pick him. He's the only potential elite talent, outside of Grigorenko and Yakupov, as of right now. According to multiple reports, Galchenyuk is also extremely committed when it comes to off-ice workouts.

Knee injuries, whether ACL or MCL, heal quicker and better at his age, and I'm almost positive it won't be a problem in his career. It's improbable we pick first unless the lottery goes our way, and Galchenyuk would've contended for the top spot had it not been for his injury, he's almost a home run for me. Hopefully he shows what he's capable of when he comes back, which should be soon.
Good post. Thanks for the info. Sounds like if he comes back strong, and the knee is not an issue, he might even go ahead of Grigs.

If that is the case, we need to trade up for him. I figure we're going to be 4-7. What's it gonna take to get number 2?

Alot. But we need to do it. I'd do Beaulieu (Ellis is becoming our secret weapon), our first, and both of our seconds to grab no. 2 pick if we were sure it was a golden no. 1 big center.

Last edited by bsl: 02-24-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old
02-25-2012, 12:01 AM
bsl

Quote:
Go ask Philly what happened in 07...
True. It can happen!

Old
02-25-2012, 12:02 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Yeah, his name was Carey Price...
Funny guy. You kill me.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:10 AM
bsl

Quote:
What we need is elite talent. Wether it's on the wing or at center.
We already have contender depth at C. At wings ? We have basically two good players. One of them is getting old. And we got 2 or 3 (Depend's on AK) 25 goal guys. The real problem is on the wing's.
Good post. We can debate this. And I do believe in Best Player Available.

But I disagree also. We are nowhere near contender depth at C. We do not have one true no. one center in our system right now, including on the Habs.

Whereas we have some perhaps very good wings in the system: Gall, the Bournival Identity (New nickname BTW) , Count of Monte Kristo, etc.

Come on man, we are so weak at C it's not funny.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I really like the quality of our scouts, but our pro scouts worry me. Id be fine with any of: Yakupov, Forsberg, Galchenyuk. After that, pick BPA.

Closed Thread