HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game#56 Blues vs Blue Jackets

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2012, 10:24 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I have a bad feeling about this game.

To be honest, the Blues have been winning games without playing that well lately (although the DID play well vs San Jose). But the NJ game and the couple before that were not up to the standard of the rest of the season, even though they escaped with 2 points.

The team seems aware of this in interviews, and Hitchcock wasn't super thrilled. Its important to not confuse the outcome with the performance. Sometimes you play well, and the bounces go the wrong way and its a loss.

Anyway, Columbus has been playing a bit better lately, and I'm sure we'll be facing a motivated team. I'm worried it may be a bit of an emotional let-down for the Blues.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:51 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
I think they're in a situation that makes it hard to let down. Here's why. McDonald certainly isn't in letdown mode. He'll be flying out there. In turn, that helps Berglund get a few more chances and the last couple games I'd describe his game as hungry. I think he's been so frustrated with himself that now he's got this whole new playmaker on his line, you know he's coming into this game motivated. Regardless of how Stewart looks, the second line will be good (because even if Stewart's play is uninspired Hitch will make an in-game switch).

On top of that second line's motivation, the Blues getting healthier means the guys on the lower two lines are battling for ice time. Nobody wants to sit and those are the guys who'd be most likely to sit. Porter wants to play. He sat so long he had to go on a conditioning assignment. Reaves knows he has to bring it every time he's out there, plus he'll probably fight at some point.

On D, the only thing you'd worry about is fatigue. Russell should be motivated. Not worried about Polak's conditioning. Guys who get a feature written about them tend to play well so it's Shattenkirk's turn for that.

The big hockey news of the day is Nash says he's willing to waive his NMC for the right team, that can't be good for their morale.

Mason's pretty much a crap goalie, the Blues play remarkably consistently across all levels of opponent, they have the road warrior t-shirts and know they're in a fierce race with Detroit.

I think this actually could be a rare blowout win for the Blues. something like 5-1 or 4-1 or 7-2 or something like that. You know the fans have to be at a low point with the Nash news. Could be a chippy, surly game from them or they could just look listless. I'd kind of be shocked to see them bring any real intensity with that news hanging over them.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
NOLAJAY

vCash: 500
This is a very winnable game. Need to keep the pressure on the wings. I will be surprised if we see some kind of letdown. I expect more of a blowout by the Blues. Especially with the new of Nash being shopped around.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Iron Fist
all Avs belong to us

I can definitley see the point about this being a potenial let down game but I honestly don't think it will. I think the Blues and Hitch realize that the Jackets are a bitter and hungry team given their season and he won't let the boys go out and skate around thinking this will be an easy one. Just my thoughts.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:11 AM
The Note
Expectations: Low

I think the Blues found their groove more at home and got back to playing the way they had before the break. Yes they won those two games in NJ and OTT but they weren't the blues "game" as they had been playing. Hopefully they can find a way to continue it on the road, 2 games here they really should win

Old
02-14-2012, 11:31 AM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

The only way they lose is if Halak gives up at least two softies and kills the teams confidence.

This team is in steam roller mode. Columbus and NYI don't have a chance. The schedule gets weird with those early games after that though...

Pietrangelo continues his domination with 3 assists.

Blues win 4-1:
Backes
Mcdonald
Oshie (2)

Old
02-14-2012, 11:33 AM
execwrite

Let's Go Black Hawks! (Beat Nashville).

Old
02-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

I kinda see the point about it being a letdown. But, I still feel they are confident and doing well enough they will win. But then again, I have a feeling it could be closer than we think. I dunno, I'm really curious for this one, not sure why in particular. I see this week going well for the Blues, but after... I hate to say it, but I can't help but think Chicago will get their groove back of course just in time for the game on Sunday. (at 11:30, of all times).

Old
02-14-2012, 11:48 AM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiko View Post
I kinda see the point about it being a letdown. But, I still feel they are confident and doing well enough they will win. But then again, I have a feeling it could be closer than we think. I dunno, I'm really curious for this one, not sure why in particular. I see this week going well for the Blues, but after... I hate to say it, but I can't help but think Chicago will get their groove back of course just in time for the game on Sunday. (at 11:30, of all times).
I have a bad feeling about that game too, but only because of the 2nd night of b2b, early start, and not at home is all working against us.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Stillflexin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
At this point I would rather have Chicago completely knocked out of the playoffs rather than Nashville gaining points.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:10 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillflexin View Post
At this point I would rather have Chicago completely knocked out of the playoffs rather than Nashville gaining points.
This sounds good to me! GTFO of our arena, Chicago fans.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:19 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I think that's likely (Chicago dropping completely out of the race). They got a gift to back into the 8th spot last year. Frankly, for a team that has won the Cup recently they lack mental toughness. I think this year they won't have enough gas in the tank to get that 8th spot....and a team that is hungrier will get it instead.

I'm not really worried about Nashville passing the Blues. I'm more interested in the Blues passing Detroit.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
It feels dirty to say, but I agree. I just want to win the division and make Detroit and Nashville play each other first round.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I'll have the Jets on TV and this game on Gamecenter.

Go Blues!

Old
02-14-2012, 01:00 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Do the Blues finally put together a 5 game win steak? I hate to say it, but I think they'll fall again. My prediction is a 3-2 game. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong and put up a 5 spot on the bottom feeders.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:16 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Quote:
Just stay out of OT, that's all I ask.

Go Blues.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUBLUES09 View Post
Just stay out of OT, that's all I ask.

Go Blues.
And you just know it will go to OT.

I abstain from predicting scores against teams that are not playing as well. Just saying that Backes will score.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:53 PM
puckerdude10

Quote:
To be honest, the Blues have been winning games without playing that well lately (although the DID play well vs San Jose). But the NJ game and the couple before that were not up to the standard of the rest of the season, even though they escaped with 2 points.
I agree but isnt that what good teams do. I remember the last several years we would outplay top teams and still lose. I also remember some of the commentators saying good teams manage to win games they shouldnt on occasion. I think that says a lot about this team...they dont play great they can still win they are that good. If they do play great watch out and get the h*** out of the way. In all I agree they need to pick it up but after that SJ game I think we saw them realize the same thing and work their way out of it. Anyway I think we blow dominate this game and win 4-1 lets go BLUES!!!

Old
02-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Stillflexin*

Blues lose 8-1.

Old
02-14-2012, 02:46 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
There's no way Carlo sits for Russell.
I beg to differ....

Russell will get playing time.

Blues have to win games like this. And I'm not at all worried about them. They bounced back with a nice effort against New Jersey, and then put together two very good games in a row on back-to-back nights vs. Colorado and San Jose. They're fine.

Old
02-14-2012, 02:47 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Carlo is criminally underrated by Blues fans.

Old
02-14-2012, 02:51 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Probable CBJ lines (the ones up top are way off)

Umberger - Brassard - Nash
Prospal - Carter - Letestu (just back from IR)
Vermette - Pahlsson - Dorsett
Russell - MacKenzie - Gilles

Tyutin - Moore
Johnson - Wisniewski
Clitsome - Savard

Mason
York

Sanford out with back spasms, so go ahead and light Mason up (with that defense in front of him, it should be easy). Nikitin out with a knee injury, Methot out with a broken jaw.

Old
02-14-2012, 02:54 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

OMG, why is Mason still in this league? His stats are beyond atrocious.

Old
02-14-2012, 02:55 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Carlo is criminally underrated by Blues fans.
Not sure who you are referring to, but if it's me, my post had nothing to do with my opinion on Carlo. But have you seen who our head coach is? Russell is his guy, and Kris Russell just won't be spending much time in the press box IMO....

Old
02-14-2012, 02:58 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Not sure who you are referring to, but if it's me, my post had nothing to do with my opinion on Carlo. But have you seen who our head coach is? Russell is his guy, and Kris Russell just won't be spending much time in the press box IMO....
Not to you specifically, or anyone off the top of my head, just in general.

Closed Thread