Notices

Positives From this Year(yes really)

Old
02-12-2012, 04:29 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
Positives From this Year(yes really)

There has been so much disappointment and negativity lately I thought it would not hurt to look at a couple of positives.

I realize a lot has gone wrong this year; some of it has been circumstantial, such as bs concussions and a plethora of bad calls, some has definately been us(zidz, cough, cough..) There are some good things that we can see however and I am curious as to what you have noticed. I would like to hear people's perspectives on who or what they thought have turned out well this year for the Wild.

Personally I have become ever more impressed with Heatley. No he will never pot 50 for the Wild, but he has shown to be a truly great teammate and leader(despite what all of Canada says about him), he still is a threat as a goal scorer, he has a strong work ethic(again, despite what Canada says), and I see a decent chemistry developing between him and The Koivu.

I like Yeo. He's not perfect, he has made a few mistakes, he has proven he is not of deity caliber, but he knows his stuff, his system works(with the pieces of course), and he has shown he can be a motivator to pretty much all the players. I tell ya what, I'll take him over Richards any day, and many other coaches around the league. Given a few more pieces to the puzzle I think he will lead us well.

Falk. He has made many mistakes and will continue to do so, but he is maturing, and I have been impressed with the direction of his development. He is showing that he can be a good 3/4 d man in the upcoming years. That and he's getting edgy and I like my d-men mean as hell.

Last edited by DeuceMN: 02-13-2012 at 04:23 AM.
DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Thank you for this thread. That's refreshing.

Also, it's Justin Falk. Not Faulk.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 04:32 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

On the prospect side, I want to add Phillips, Larsson and Lucia. I had my doubts about all three when we drafted them, but so far they appear to be developing very well and are really looking like strong candidates so far. Of course they could bomb, but as prospects, they are good ones.

Old
02-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

I like what Ive seen of Yeo's system. Once we get back to playing it with consistency, and we get some higher end talent, and our D matures and we add some quality veterans to it (and ditch zids...that's addition by subtraction), we should be seeing some really really good hockey.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:09 PM
saywut

vCash: 500
Not much positives on the NHL club. Jared Spurgeon's progressed well but at the end of the day will always have limitations because he's about 5'6. Kyle Brodziak's having a career year but he's a pending free agent and its debatable whether he should be in our long-term plans. Matt Hackett made his presence felt in our net with a couple solid performances, and continues to excel at the AHL level with the Aeros. Bunch of Aeros got chances in depth roles with the Wild and none of them have really stood out, though getting a chance should only make them hungrier next year. Yeo's got a plan that will work and isn't going to change it because losses are piling up.

Prospect-side, most have met my expectations, the 2 that stand out the most for me,

Johan Larsson going from an 8 point to 30+ point player in Elitserien is a huge jump. Captaining Sweden to a gold medal shows the character and drive he's got. Sure he's got size limitations but he's well built physically and plays fearless. If he can carve out a career similar to Alex Steen he's going to be a very solid player for us for years to come. Steen was never a 30 point player in Elitserien and played there till he was 21. Larsson's 19.

Brett Bulmer, making the team out of camp, not looking out of place in his 9 games with the Wild. Went back to Kelowna and has shown progression from last season. I had my doubts about Bulmer when we drafted him and even before this season, but he's making the improvements necessary to become an NHLer. Still needs to round out his game and frame, but he's going to be a hard player for Yeo to send down if he brings it in camp next year.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Nice thread, it's easy to see the negative side of the things and even with all the loses i think this team had improved a lot with Yeo coaching.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Jbcraig1883

In addition to what has been said, I think Nick Johnson is a positive for the Wild. I think he is versatile, shows up every game, and will get better. Is he a game-breaker? No, but we got him for free, he is relatively young, and has show that he can do well along the boards.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
I really liked what we saw of Hackett.

For all those negative people - that's a peek into this team's future!

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
ninetynine*

Kassian instead of Staubitz

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
BLBarmada

Anyone know how Bulmers doing in the Dub, our goalies have been good this year, I think mike Yeo will succeed here and he is the coach for this team, where he goes success follows.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Mumbler*

-The flash of what we saw this team and style of play capable of.
-Heater for Havesomeofthat.
-Not a spurge fan but he's been better than I expected.
-Hackett
-Zid said he may wave his NTC or NMC whatever it is...

Mumbler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
one good hot streak, and Heatley could bag 30 goals. he will likely meet or exceed his 26 of last year.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Johnson looks to be a nice 3rd liner...Prosser re-signed...that's about it at the NHL level.

Our prospects are doing well though and hopefully they can get them all signed and playing in the system and get rid of the dead wood.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:22 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Thank you for this thread. That's refreshing.

Also, it's Justin Falk. Not Faulk.
Bah! You're right, I keep doing that...

Old
02-13-2012, 04:25 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
In addition to what has been said, I think Nick Johnson is a positive for the Wild. I think he is versatile, shows up every game, and will get better. Is he a game-breaker? No, but we got him for free, he is relatively young, and has show that he can do well along the boards.
Good call on Johnson. I like this kid as well.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

One positive thing is that there is only a little bit of the season left.

There really has not been much to cheer about this year after December.

I think the defense has shown flashes of good play from time to time amongst the young players. The future looks at least decent on defense once some of the older players (Schultz, Zid, Zanon) get out and the Wild bring in a 1st pairing defensemen and hopefully some young stars.

Johnson and Powe have also been good pickups this year. They are not game breakers by any stretch of the imagination, but they do the job they were hired for very well.

The coaching has been upgraded from what it was last year as well, we just need the players to work in the system.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:05 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

A couple of these have been mentioned, but I'll repeat anyway:

Johnson - Prior to his token AS invite, he was looking like the best waiver claim since Grabner. Post-ASG, he's looked like he picked up a couple dozen tricks from hanging out with the stars. While his best fit is as a third liner (hopefully a scoring third line) he's looked quite promising.

Prosser - Went from "winning" the race to Houston in camp to being one of our best defensemen during the disaster parts of the season. While he's shown he still needs to mature a bit as an NHLer, he's brought a little depth to the part of the defense we're most lacking. Between him and Spurgeon, we could get away with adding just one offensively inclined defenseman to make that blue line servicable.

Scandella - He's shown why so many people ranked him so highly in our preseason prospect rankings. He's had his ups and downs, but those ups were particularly promising, and hopefully just a taste of things to come.

Hackett - Not even 22 years old and he holds an NHL goaltending record. We all knew he had the ability to stop shots, but what's always the question with goaltending prospects is the mental toughness. Coming in cold to play almost a full game (and starting behind on the scoreboard) he showed perfect poise, and retained his cool through both that and his first NHL start. Sure it's only 3 games, but his 0.85 GAA and .977 Sv% are mighty fine for a kid who couldn't legally drink in the US last year.

From the past couple games:

Seto-Koivu-Heatley - They've looked like a legitimate NHL scoring line. They've dominated the offensive zone, spent little time trapped in their own end, moved the puck, and if Heatley could just get his stick on the ice, would have 6-8 goals in the past two games.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:37 AM
nickschultzfan

Good: We have a good core of young Dmen and some good prospects.

Forwards are just disappointing, but that is more due to injuries and the annual Wild curse of the missing top-6 center not named Koivu.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Really excited to see Bulmer next year. From what we saw earlier this year, he's going to become a fan favorite.

The cherry on top? Other teams/fans are going to hate him.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:48 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Good; we got to pretty much see every player the Wild has in their major organization play with the team and see what we have.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:12 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

Excited about next year and the coming years:
-Hackett will be a good goalie in the future
- Bulmer: I was really suprised how he played and his energy. More of that.
- Granlund, Larsson, Phillips, Coyle, Scandy, Spurgie and Zucker will all hopefully get better and some will jump over the pond and some might get some AHL mins. Pleasently suprised with everyone and our future looks bright.
- Johnson, great player, seems to great chances on his own sometimes. Great pickup and hopefully will get better.

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbler View Post
-The flash of what we saw this team and style of play capable of.
-Heater for Havesomeofthat.
-Not a spurge fan but he's been better than I expected.
-Hackett
-Zid said he may wave his NTC or NMC whatever it is...
Adding...
-Agree with the Johnson praise. He's been great and is a perfect 3rd line guy that can help the top 2 if necessary.
-Kassian, better than Staubitz. He fought Parros's mustache and didn't embarrass himself. He's a mid-heavy and will protect the players on this team. still a useful trade.
-2 years after this year Parrish's $1mil per year buyout goes off the books.
-The cap room we'll leave available for next year to fillout the lines.

Mumbler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:40 PM
ChexLeMeneux

One positive I can think of is St. Paul will not have to worry about picking up any trash from a parade.

ChexLeMeneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChexLeMeneux View Post
One positive I can think of is St. Paul will not have to worry about picking up any trash from a parade.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:52 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChexLeMeneux View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Hehe