HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Does anyone think the NHL will ever change the points system?

Old
02-14-2012, 09:16 AM
19NYSports91

vCash: 500
Does anyone think the NHL will ever change the points system?

Once they change the conferences to 4, do you think they might change it to this?

3 points- Regulation win.
2 points- Overtime win.
1 point- Overtime loss.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:30 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

No, it keeps the best teams at the top (just like their refs), which is what they want.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Once they change the conferences to 4, do you think they might change it to this?

2 points- Overtime win.
1 point- Overtime loss.
I haven't heard they were even discussing changing the point system. If they did, I'd assume they'd just get rid of the loser point.

I like your point system though, and would prefer something like that which gives heavy weight to the regulation win.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:35 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
I haven't heard they were even discussing changing the point system. If they did, I'd assume they'd just get rid of the loser point.

I like your point system though, and would prefer something like that which gives heavy weight to the regulation win.
you can't get rid of the loser point and keep the shootout.

Can you imagine if the point differential for a shootout win was 2 points and 0 for the loser? No way they can do that.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:38 AM
bvon44

In my opinion, the points system should be like this

Win (Regulation, OT, or Shootout): 2 Pts
Shootout Loss: 1 Pt
Loss (In reg or OT): 0 Pts

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvon44 View Post

Good idea, but that would ruin OT, imo.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNystromOwnsYou View Post
you can't get rid of the loser point and keep the shootout.

Can you imagine if the point differential for a shootout win was 2 points and 0 for the loser? No way they can do that.
Teams complain about the shootout, players complain about it, coaches complain about it as well in interviews at times. Whether there is widespread complaining or its just isolated, I don't know. But the shoot-out is still new and I wouldn't be surprised if its done away with at some point. So that wouldn't be an issue to getting rid of the loser point.

That's all moot anyway, there hasn't been any talk of changing the point system.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:51 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:

I dont like it, 4 on 4 would be useless because they both want at least 1 point. Shootout win and regulation win should be different imo. Shootout is pretty much all luck. The better team who wins in regulation should get more points than a ot win and it would be more fun to watch teams competing harder for 3 points. Most road teams play for ot.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:

2 points- Overtime win.
1 point- Overtime loss.
Well, I hope they don't change it to what you've presented.

I hate the shootout, but if you're going to have the shootout and claim that it's important to NOT have ties, have a shootout with some balls: winner gets 2 points, loser gets nothing.

I prefer to completely do away with the shootout, but I'm realistic and it won't happen. In my own little fantasy land, here's what I'd like to see:

- No shootout
- One 10 minute overtime, if necessary
- Win a game, get two points
- Lose a game, get nothing
- Tie a game, both teams get nothing.

The onus has to be on winning and the points have to be scarce in order for games to be competitive and exciting. I go back to the unemployment analogy, if a person is going to be paid to do nothing, that person is likely to do nothing, no urgency required.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:02 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
Teams complain about the shootout, players complain about it, coaches complain about it as well in interviews at times. Whether there is widespread complaining or its just isolated, I don't know. But the shoot-out is still new and I wouldn't be surprised if its done away with at some point. So that wouldn't be an issue to getting rid of the loser point.

That's all moot anyway, there hasn't been any talk of changing the point system.
My point is, they would lose even more creidibility having a 2 point differential for shootouts. I know i wouldn't watch anymore. And we have Frans, the shootout master.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:03 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
I hate the shootout, but if you're going to have the shootout and claim that it's important to NOT have ties, have a shootout with some balls: winner gets 2 points, loser gets nothing.

There you go. More reason to hate that idea.

Although I always thought the 10 minute OT was the way to go.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Fantom

Quote:

2 points- Overtime win.
1 point- Overtime loss.
no no no and did i say no.
that system would be so bad.
the overtime point is bad enough.
why should one win be worth more then another win

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:25 AM
luki here

Quote:

just forget the shootout and have ties. But that would piss off the 5 year olds...i guess it will never happen

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Furkmyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
But a 60 minute win is already worth more than an OT win or SO win with the loser point.

Furkmyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:05 AM
19 in a row

Quote:
I think that if you have the loser point you really should go to the 3 points a game system. Otherwise, as we have it now, OT games are worth more than regulation games.... I find myself rooting for games to end in regulation rather than who wins or loses when the game involves two teams ahead of us. It is silly to have some games worth 2 and others worth 3.... I wish there was no "loser point" but I dont see it going away, so the best alternative IMO is to have the 3Pts for regulation win, 2 for OT/SO win and 1 for OT/SO loss... that way every game is worth the same amount of points.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:07 AM
19 in a row

I think making regulation wins worth more than OT wins also would make the end of games more interesting... Sometimes it seems to me that teams are playing not to lose rather than trying to win at the end of regulation in a tie game.. they know they are guaranteed a point and can still get the two.. if they know they are losing the opportunity for the extra point, teams may actually try to be more aggressive at the end of regulation in tie games.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
I think that if you have the loser point you really should go to the 3 points a game system. Otherwise, as we have it now, OT games are worth more than regulation games.... I find myself rooting for games to end in regulation rather than who wins or loses when the game involves two teams ahead of us. It is silly to have some games worth 2 and others worth 3.... I wish there was no "loser point" but I dont see it going away, so the best alternative IMO is to have the 3Pts for regulation win, 2 for OT/SO win and 1 for OT/SO loss... that way every game is worth the same amount of points.
I do not think there should be a loser point.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:26 PM
bvon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
just forget the shootout and have ties. But that would piss off the 5 year olds...i guess it will never happen
I agree, the best case scenario would be to bring back the tie. As far as I'm concerned, I think the shootout has run its course. The spinarama has caused tons of controversy and its only a matter of time before players start using showboat moves. Hockey is far too much of a team game to be settled by individuals.

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
I do not think there should be a loser point.
Neither do I. I would prefer the OT with no shootout and possibility of a tie, like there used to be. However, everything I read seems to say they want to have a winner in every game and a point awarded to the OT loser to distinguish them from a regulation loser. I hope I am wrong there and they recant.. I hate the 3 point vs 2 point games, where teams play to get to overtime rather than risk losing the game on a late goal in regulation. It is even worse this time of year when teams are trying to fight for the playoff spots.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:53 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
I think making regulation wins worth more than OT wins also would make the end of games more interesting... Sometimes it seems to me that teams are playing not to lose rather than trying to win at the end of regulation in a tie game.. they know they are guaranteed a point and can still get the two.. if they know they are losing the opportunity for the extra point, teams may actually try to be more aggressive at the end of regulation in tie games.
same problem existed in european football and the 3 point rule (3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie) really motivated teams to play offensively.

Its damn hard to score in football anyways...

ps: goals per game is really going down the last few years, isnt it? Same thing happened in europe before they introduced the 3 point rule (this is only in football of course).

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:28 PM
IslesNorway

Ultimately the NHL must look at how a new points system - any new points system- would affect the standings and playoff race. If it makes it even tighter and keeps more teams in it to the end then they should really consider it.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Isles75

Quote:
I agree, the best case scenario would be to bring back the tie. As far as I'm concerned, I think the shootout has run its course. The spinarama has caused tons of controversy and its only a matter of time before players start using showboat moves. Hockey is far too much of a team game to be settled by individuals.
I agree. To make things a lot better, time to back in time. End the All-Star game shoot out and if anything, keep 4 on 4 with a 10 minute overtime. If all ends in a tie, teams split the 2. Winner takes all 2.

Hockey being one of the ultimate "TEAM" sports, I could never figure why the NHL went that way. I hated it from the beginning and from what I understand, most of the actual players do too.

Isles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Isles75

Also another benefit of doing away with the loser points, it would stop inflating very mediocre teams. In other words, take the Islanders, we could possible make the 8th seed in our last 27 games or have the 2nd pick in the draft. It all depends on which way the team falls.

Isles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:28 PM
John TavArt Ross

I'd rather it be continuous overtime. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. No points.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:21 PM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasm37 View Post
I'd rather it be continuous overtime. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. No points.

You can't play games with 4 ots in November.