HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Does anyone think the NHL will ever change the points system?

Old
02-17-2012, 01:07 PM
19 in a row

vCash: 500
I don't think that any regular season game should be worth more than any other. This system gives us 3 pt and 2 pt games. I don't see anything wrong with a tie after a short overtime to give 1 pt a piece.. as a matter of fact i think it would be much more exciting play since teams get very tentative in tie games so as not to sacrifice 1 guaranteed pt in the current system... The shoot out to me is just a skills gimmick and not hockey. just like saying we should have a home run contest to decide tie baseball games or a fg kicking contest in football... would rather allow ties or go to 3 pt games with 3-0 and 2-1 options but NHL will never do it as they try to keep it "exciting" ..
full disclosure: btw I am the guy who prefers a 2-1 or 1-0 pitchers duel in baseball where every pitch matters to a 10-8 slugfest so my defintion of exciting may be different than many.

Last edited by 19 in a row: 02-17-2012 at 01:44 PM.
19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:23 PM
kmo429

I dont know if they will. maybe they will in the new CBA? IDK if that is how it would eb done, but its should be:

Regulation win: 3 points
Overtime win: 2 points
Overtime loss: 1 points
Regulation loss: 0 points

Oh... And get rid of the shootout. Its tough to say as an Isles fan because were actually good in shootouts with the Danish Backhand of Judgment, but it just does not belong in the game

kmo429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:26 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNystromOwnsYou View Post
The only soccer I watch is the world cup, and I thought they had penalty shots.
So they have penalty shots in their biggest event, but not the rest of the time? LOL @ soccer.

Yeah, the cardio and the physicality of baseball and hockey are exactly alike.
they dont have penalty shots at the world cup per se. They have penalty shots when they need a winner (ie the knock out stages). All league games (remember no playoffs in most "european" football leagues) can be ties. So there is no need for penalty shots normally.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:30 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Eh? Got out on the wrong side of the bed? They have shoot-outs because it's a knock-out competition -there must be a winner. Has nothing do to whatsoever with Americans....

In normal League games a tie is a tie but the league has nothing to do with the world cup
i think the point is if they could do without penalties, they would. But football is not exactly a high scoring game, so playing overtime until a winner is found would be...difficult. Besides the economic difficulties that result out of not knowing when the game would end.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:33 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
An alternative to the shoot out has been discussed but they've failed to come up with something suitable. A soccer game can last for hours on end and that's why they'll have to finish it in some way. Also there are audiences worldwide so tv-times comes into it too.
and its the FIFA that would have to make changes. They have the same default stance on reforms that the vatican has. They have been discussing whether you should use a video goal judge for 20 years and have come up with a no everytime. The FIFA does not want to change anything! ever...even after situations like this: http://www.reviewexplorer.com/news/4...y-in-football/

The professionalism all american sports show is something all of europe should envy! We should also start having salary caps, transparent player contracts etc etc but all these things require a lot of work to change.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:52 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
they dont have penalty shots at the world cup per se. They have penalty shots when they need a winner (ie the knock out stages). All league games (remember no playoffs in most "european" football leagues) can be ties. So there is no need for penalty shots normally.
Their penalty shots is the same as our shootout. One guy versus the goalie, different sport is all.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:39 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
and its the FIFA that would have to make changes. They have the same default stance on reforms that the vatican has. They have been discussing whether you should use a video goal judge for 20 years and have come up with a no everytime. The FIFA does not want to change anything! ever...even after situations like this: http://www.reviewexplorer.com/news/4...y-in-football/

The professionalism all american sports show is something all of europe should envy! We should also start having salary caps, transparent player contracts etc etc but all these things require a lot of work to change.
I wholeheartedly agree. Football must implement salary caps to save itself otherwise so many teams will go down the drain and be put under administration a la Glasgow Rangers

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:29 PM
luki here

i personally would like austria to join the german bundesliga, but few other austrians would agree. I just hate how uncompetitative our league currently is. But this is seriously quite OT already

Old
03-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Canadian91

nvm.

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote