HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh - Montreal

Old
02-14-2012, 12:05 PM

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh - Montreal

PIT acquires:

Hal Gill
AK46

MTL acquires:

Eric Tangradi
2012 3rd rounder
?

What does PIT need to add?

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:06 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

You need to minus from each side and up the pick

Gill for 2012 2nd

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:08 PM
billybudd

Dude, come on. Tangradi's a project at this point and Gill's a cup-winning obstructor in a seller's market that just gave the green light back to obstruction.

You don't think one of the 10 (edit: Eastern) teams in playoff range could and would exceed that, (Edit: if only to keep Gill from Pitt)?

Last edited by billybudd: 02-14-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: clarification
billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
You need to minus from each side and up the pick

Gill for 2012 2nd
Too high of a price for him at this point. He cost a 2nd + 5th last time around with a year left on his deal.

If someone wants to give that to Montreal for him, cool...I just don't want it to be the Penguins. Shero isn't in the game of bidding wars or overpaying for soon-to-be 37 year-old pending UFA bottom pairing defenders.

I just don't get all the Gill love from Pittsburgh...well, I mean he did help us win a Cup and he shut down Sid largely because he gets to play under a completely different rulebook than just about everyone else in the league (has been true his entire career)...but we don't need help on defense and the PK is already at an elite level without him. I just don't think paying an asset to put Matt Niskanen in the press box is a wise move.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Riptide

Pens have zero interest in Gill. He ties up cap space, and D is not an area we need help in. Gills only real asset is the ability to help on the PK, and we're in the top 4-5 for the PK.

Some interest in AK, depends on what Montreal wants. Could do Tangradi, 4th. But Montreal could possibly get a better deal.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
RehnX

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Dude, come on. Tangradi's a project at this point and Gill's a cup-winning obstructor in a seller's market that just gave the green light back to obstruction.

You don't think one of the 10 teams in playoff range could and would exceed that?
The only reason Tangradi is not on the NHL club is depth in the Penguins organization.

That said, for Gill AND AK, I would up the pick to a 2013 1st.

RehnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:15 PM
billybudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehnX View Post
The only reason Tangradi is not on the NHL club is depth in the Penguins organization.

That said, for Gill AND AK, I would up the pick to a 2013 1st.
Tangradi thinks the game like he just drank a bottle of nyquil, would be a more relevant reason he's not in the NHL.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Letanger*

Penguins dont need Hal Gill, if they did they wouldnt let him go for nothing. Who would he replace in the line up? I dunno cause all 6 of our D are better then him.

Letanger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:19 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
good offer, but i don't care for tangradi

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:22 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

2nd. For Gill. Otherwise no.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Yeah, I'd want at least the equivalent of a 2nd for each of Gill and AK. Probably more like the equivalent of a 1st for AK. Otherwise, I'd just keep them and let them walk or re-sign them as circumstances dictate in June.

Maybe if it truly is a crazy sellers market we could even get the 1st+2nd. If not, something like 2nd+2nd+5th would be acceptable. Tangradi+2nd+5th, say.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:42 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Would Pittsburgh do something around Tangradi for Kostitsyn? Kostitsyn, just like his brother will produce a lot more once he's gone from Montreal.. I'm one of his biggest fans but it doesn't look like he'll be back next year.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:49 PM
billybudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Would Pittsburgh do something around Tangradi for Kostitsyn? Kostitsyn, just like his brother will produce a lot more once he's gone from Montreal.. I'm one of his biggest fans but it doesn't look like he'll be back next year.
If that's all that was in the deal, I expect they'd agree without even thinking about it.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Pens have zero interest in Gill. He ties up cap space, and D is not an area we need help in. Gills only real asset is the ability to help on the PK, and we're in the top 4-5 for the PK.

Some interest in AK, depends on what Montreal wants. Could do Tangradi, 4th. But Montreal could possibly get a better deal.
Perhaps you should go back and read the part where Pittsburgh has been heavily rumored to have interest in him?

Dylonus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Very simple: to the OP--NO. Not enough by a long way.

To anyone who wants AK or Gill: AK for a 1st, Gill for a 2nd. An equivalent prospect could be offered instead. Tangradi is not enough of a return for either. Period.

Penguin fans who say "no" are free to do so. We will shop elsewhere. No harm, no foul, each fan base should know its team needs and what it can afford to offer. Just keep in mind that Tangradi and a 4th or 3rd are not enough to get AK and Gill. Not even close.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Yes.

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:09 PM
KIRK

Quote:
What specifically do you have in mind? Tangradi + (what?) for AK46?

Leave Gill out of it. Just AK46?

BTW, fellow Pens fans, if you're talking about Gill, then I'd think that Bortuzzo or Strait, guys who get top AHL minutes, who got NHL action this year and didn't look out of place, would be legit #6's next year if the Pens had the space, and legitimately projects as solid, stay at home #5's, are the type of return that actually might make sense.

KIRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:09 PM
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412

I don't want Gill back. People are talking about needing depth, playoff-experienced D, but last I checked, most our current D-men are pretty experienced in the playoffs. People seem to forget, Gill is on the wrong side of 35, he's not in his prime. While he could help depth-wise, it's not a big need. We NEED to upgrade the top 6 (which AK46 does). I'd love to get him, pass on Gill. By the way, Gill is in no way worth a 2nd round pick at this point in his career. We got Kovalev for a 7th last year. Gill is worth at BEST a 5th.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:10 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post

To anyone who wants AK or Gill: AK for a 1st, Gill for a 2nd. An equivalent prospect could be offered instead. Tangradi is not enough of a return for either. Period.

Penguin fans who say "no" are free to do so. We will shop elsewhere. No harm, no foul, each fan base should know its team needs and what it can afford to offer. Just keep in mind that Tangradi and a 4th or 3rd are not enough to get AK and Gill. Not even close.
Best of luck.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:12 PM
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post

Good luck getting that from any of the 29 other teams in the league. Not happening at all. You'll be surprised to see what Gill will fetch if in fact he is traded, because it definitely won't be a 2nd coming back your way.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:13 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Perhaps you should go back and read the part where Pittsburgh has been heavily rumored to have interest in him?
I think our fan base is equally split between "would take him if the price was right" and "don't want him". I'm in the latter bunch and the reasons are exactly what Riptide and Big McLargehuge said. We may or may not end up getting him but I think it would be a mistake.

Quote:
I think Kostitsyn is exactly what we would need but unfortunately, James Neal's play this year has taken away whatever cap space we could have committed to someone like AK. If we sent a d-man packing (Martin, Orpik) we would go after someone better, but I'm not sure it would be a very good strategy anyway.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:15 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I think our fan base is equally split between "would take him if the price was right" and "don't want him". I'm in the latter bunch and the reasons are exactly what Riptide and Big McLargehuge said. We may or may not end up getting him but I think it would be a mistake.

I think Kostitsyn is exactly what we would need but unfortunately, James Neal's play this year has taken away whatever cap space we could have committed to someone like AK. If we sent a d-man packing (Martin, Orpik) we would go after someone better, but I'm not sure it would be a very good strategy anyway.
AK46 is an impending UFA.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:17 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Settle down. Why is AK46 not worth a late 1st? A 2nd? Uh no you're obviously not familiar with the market if you think that's all a top 6 winger is worth at the deadline. We're not talking about a late 1st plus this and that, just a late 1st. Maybe the Habs throw in a 3rd or something but really guys, take it easy.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:19 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Settle down. Why is AK46 not worth a late 1st? A 2nd? Uh no you're obviously not familiar with the market if you think that's all a top 6 winger is worth at the deadline. We're not talking about a late 1st plus this and that, just a late 1st. Maybe the Habs throw in a 3rd or something but really guys, take it easy.
1. Draft is in Pittsburgh this summer.

2. I think there's been a big shift in terms of how willing teams are to part with first round picks. Some still do, but many GM's, like Shero, consider a 1st 'gold'.

It's not unreasonable to ask. And, maybe someone will pay that, even for AK46. I just don't see it . . .

Old
02-14-2012, 01:23 PM
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412

To me, AK46 being worth a 1st rounder doesn't sound as bad as Gill being worth a 2nd. That right there is just hilarious. People must think Hal Gill is 31 years old again. Age isn't the only reason he's not worth a 2nd, but it's a big reason.