HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread V

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Except that goalies don't often fetch much in trade. Goalie prospects often do (see Varlamov last year) but starting NHL goalies don't really carry huge value. I mean Luongo got traded to Vancouver for this:

Luongo, Lukas Krajicek, 6th round pick

in exchange for

Bertuzzi (post Moore incident)
Bryaan Allen
Alex Auld

That's... not great value and I'd say Luongo then had even more value than Quick.
Luongo was an impending UFA which diminished his value. Panther GM Mike Keenan didn't quite seem ready to pay Luongo and wanted to make his team bigger/tougher. Bertuzzi was an impending UFA as well, but wasn't too far removed from his 97 point 2002-03 season. Auld was an okay-ish prospect at the time, I thought he'd be better than he turned out.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:08 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

The Kings have to take the risk of trading away Bernier if it can get them Rick Nash. Trading Bernier is no doubt a huge risk! If Quick leaves in 2013 we could be in big trouble.

BUT...

We have very strong pipe line in goal. I've been watching Zatkoff play for 3 years now. He's a good goalie. He made the all-star this year. Martin Jones is a solid goalie and made the all-star last year. Also you have 2nd round pick Christopher Gibson.

What we NEED however is an elite scoring winger. Need it! We have nobody in the system or on our NHL squad that is an elite scoring winger. The only way we can obtain one is by trade or free agency. Free agency is a huge gamble. There is very little guarantee that a player will in fact sign with your team. Unlike in trades, FA's can pretty much hand pick which team they want to play for! So if Zach Parise likes New Jersey schools better then California schools. Then that's where he goes. Nash of course has a NTC clause but the big difference is Nash can only go where Columbus can make a deal.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Penner's been a healthy scratch here and you still have some posters saying they want as high as a 2nd for him. It's trade deadline time, even depth pieces can fetch a fair sized return, especially coming from a team that's in a playoff position and that could easily win their division.
Asking price and what they get traded for are two different things.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
but he was injured last year as well......
Some people don't use facts to see what they want. Like TOMD and JU. All they see is Mike Richards is bad and we should have kept Simmonds and Schenn.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:22 PM
johnjm22

Mckenzie said on TSN that he thinks the Kings are the team most likely to land Nash.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:26 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Mckenzie said on TSN that he thinks the Kings are the team most likely to land Nash.
This is Richards all over... this is Kovalchuk all over... this is Chara all over... this is Drury/Gomez all over... this is Elias all over.

The Kings are always the top team to land someone and they dont. It's usually deals we DONT hear about that get done. I ain't holding my breath and am pretty much ignoring alot of this media stuff.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:26 PM
jimmy1100

How about we keep this simple and trade for Carter? Will cost less in both assets AND cap space and, wait for it....it will leave us cap space for Quick!!! Wow, that was easy.

Please don't reply with Carter is a center, we need a winger, Nash is a winger. If Carter can't play wing with his talent, then he needs to quit playing hockey.

I would rather gamble on Carter being successful at wing and guaranteeing us space to keep Quick, than I would to gamble on Nash and risk losing Quick.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Did he say it now?

Old
02-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
...and Chara...and Gaborik...and Drury...and Gomez...and Kovalchuk...sense a pattern here?

Rumor out there now is that Jack was offered and Columbus said no because they think Jack would be unhappy in Columbus. They don't want another unhappy player, ie Carter. If they wait for players that want to be there, then I guess Nash isn't getting traded.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
This is Richards all over... this is Kovalchuk all over... this is Chara all over... this is Drury/Gomez all over... this is Elias all over.

The Kings are always the top team to land someone and they dont. It's usually deals we DONT hear about that get done. I ain't holding my breath and am pretty much ignoring alot of this media stuff.
Brad was always rumored to be going to NYR. Kings were always a dark horse in that race.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
...and Chara...and Gaborik...and Drury...and Gomez...and Kovalchuk...sense a pattern here?

Rumor out there now is that Jack was offered and Columbus said no because they think Jack would be unhappy in Columbus. They don't want another unhappy player, ie Carter. If they wait for players that want to be there, then I guess Nash isn't getting traded.
I don't trust HockeyBreakk.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:

Where did you see that?

Old
02-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
How about we keep this simple and trade for Carter? Will cost less in both assets AND cap space and, wait for it....it will leave us cap space for Quick!!! Wow, that was easy.

Please don't reply with Carter is a center, we need a winger, Nash is a winger. If Carter can't play wing with his talent, then he needs to quit playing hockey.

I would rather gamble on Carter being successful at wing and guaranteeing us space to keep Quick, than I would to gamble on Nash and risk losing Quick.
Quick's raise doesn't hit until 2013-14 and the Kings will have plenty of cap space. Nash's cap hit wouldn't prevent Quick's raise. Quick may rather go to the east coast, but that is out of Dean's hands.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
I don't trust HockeyBreakk.
I don't either, but I'm sure others will pick up on it. Do you really think Jack would be happy in Columbus?

You have to take all "rumors" with a grain of salt, but there is some truth to the concern Columbus would have with players that may not be happy to be in Columbus. Carter took less to play in Philly and Jack took less to play in LA.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Johnny Utah

http://bigmouthbarry.com/

Brown, Bernier, and Johnson? No way.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:38 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Indeed, but when Mckeznie speculates on something, it holds more weight than most.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Cruel11

I don't trust hockeybreakk either, but do you honestly believe Jj would be happy in Columbus? So Howsen asked for Jj, and Dean said sure, but he'll probably ask for a trade in the offseason. It took Jj a couple of years to finally like the Kings. Lol.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:42 PM
tomd

Quote:
Quick's raise doesn't hit until 2013-14 and the Kings will have plenty of cap space. Nash's cap hit wouldn't prevent Quick's raise. Quick may rather go to the east coast, but that is out of Dean's hands.
Not sure that they have that much cap space.

Right now for next year they have 19 players under contract for $49.8mm. Mitchell (or a similar vet D) needs to be signed (say $3.5mm); Nash is $7.8mm.

So now for 21 players you are at $61.1mm. And you still need to sign or replace at least 2 of Stoll, Fraser, Penner, or Hunter. And the numbers above don't include Voynov. I'm also assuming that Bernier's salary would be replaced at the same rate.

That is getting pretty close to the cap max.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:42 PM
SuperAlmeida

Who the **** would be happy in Ohio from our team, NYR, Vancouver, San Jose etc.????

Old
02-16-2012, 02:44 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Except that goalies don't often fetch much in trade. Goalie prospects often do (see Varlamov last year) but starting NHL goalies don't really carry huge value. I mean Luongo got traded to Vancouver for this:

Luongo, Lukas Krajicek, 6th round pick

in exchange for

Bertuzzi (post Moore incident)
Bryaan Allen
Alex Auld

That's... not great value and I'd say Luongo then had even more value than Quick.

Plus imagine the backlash from Kings fans if Quick is traded now... not pretty.
That deal had a lot more to do with Keenan's man-love for Bertuzzi. He turned down an offer from us that included Frolov, Brown and Garon. It was posted in the LA Times, but the only link I have is this one where they repeat what the Times said:

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/article6678.html

Another similar starter being traded would be Vokoun, who went to Florida from Nashville for a 1st and two 2nds. Considering that was done right at the draft, when picks are highest valued, Vokoun likely would have cost a lot more at the deadline itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
We have very strong pipe line in goal. I've been watching Zatkoff play for 3 years now. He's a good goalie. He made the all-star this year. Martin Jones is a solid goalie and made the all-star last year. Also you have 2nd round pick Christopher Gibson.
Zatkoff is a Rule VI UFA this season. Unless we resign him, he's gone without compensation, so I wouldn't factor him into the long-term equation at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Asking price and what they get traded for are two different things.
Yes, you are right. Obviously you and me differ on this, but at this point, if you think a 4th round pick is going to persuade the Capitals to tarde a veteran with nearly 300 career goals who they have absolutely no pressing need to move, then go for it.

Unless Washington has a legitimate need to move Knuble, they won't. Why would they help any other playoff caliber team at the deadline for a 4th? Unless they need to move his salary/roster spot out to make room for someone else, they''ll hang onto him and only a fairly good sized return would persuade them otherwise. It's basic common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post

When Bobby M reports it, it's a bit different. He can be wrong, and has been (I think even he said we would likely get Kovalchuk) but typically he doesn't post stuff unless he is really positive about things.

That said, it's 11 days until the deadline and a desperate team or an injury on a cup contender could change everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post

Me too. Carter has played wing in the past as well. People here seem to think a player can only play one position. Lots of players can move from wing to centre, which is much harder to do than the other way around. Carter also has the size to play wing in the DL/TM/DS system.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:45 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Luongo was an impending UFA which diminished his value. Panther GM Mike Keenan didn't quite seem ready to pay Luongo and wanted to make his team bigger/tougher. Bertuzzi was an impending UFA as well, but wasn't too far removed from his 97 point 2002-03 season. Auld was an okay-ish prospect at the time, I thought he'd be better than he turned out.
And Krajicek was a young offensive d-man that was thought very highly of at the time that played two seasons in the organization... Bertuzzi played 7 games in Florida and left and Auld played one season in Florida before bolting. The only thing that Florida got out of the deal was Bryan Allen, which a terrible return for one of the top goaltenders in the league (UFA or not) and a decent d-man prospect. Plus there's the little problem of if a proven starting goaltender does get traded it is usually for picks (see Varlamov, Fernandez, Rolosson, etc.) Another good example of a proven starter not fetching much is Giguere trade to the Leafs but that was more of a salary dump than anything so it's not a great example...

Picks won't help the Kings, and Bernier is still an unknown as far as what he brings to the table in the NHL. Oh and the Kings are in a playoff race and are going and are last in the league in scoring goals. Makes perfect sense to trade the one bright spot and the main reason the Kings are even in contention for a playoff this season. Trading Quick would basically be the equivalent of Anschutz and Lombardi putting a bullet in this teams head no matter who they got back in return.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Asheru

Quote:

Source?

Makes sense. I mean, the "player betrayal" factor would be involved all over again.

I don't want to trade Voynov either.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
Source?

Makes sense. I mean, the "player betrayal" factor would be involved all over again.

I don't want to trade Voynov either.
Nobody reputable, but a tweet from *********** put the rumor out there (can't post a link). It makes sense to me that Columbus would be worried about a player that just signed long term with a team at a reasonable rate.

Guess it is blocked on here too. Just imagine someone a step below Eklund in accuracy.

Last edited by Sydor25: 02-16-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old
02-16-2012, 02:54 PM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post

Maybe if it were for Nash AND Carter.

Old
02-16-2012, 03:01 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post

I can't believe people read his stuff, let alone link it like it's in any way credible. Only thing he sometimes hits on is injuries/call-ups.

Closed Thread