HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Futbol II

Old
08-08-2012, 02:53 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Canada was pressing the midfielders with double coverage a lot yesterday causing the US to get rid of it, so there was no chance to play keep away with possession. Also, their speed advantage (US) on the wings was so apparent it's no wonder they were launching long balls. It was working. The US D is very suspect. Will be interesting to see how they respond to Japan. 3-2 US on Penalties....
I'm rooting for the ladies, but this team could not compete with the 1999 US women's team that won the World Cup against China. That team was stacked at all positions and there was no drop off with the subs either. Of course many of the players were UNC and Anson Dorrance's work. From what I've seen of this US team, the only players I believe that could have made the 99 team are Wambach, Morgan and Rapinoe (though the 99 team did not go for the long passes and was a much more possession oriented team). 99 team with Hamm as a forward midfielders like Akers, Fouty and Lilly and defenders like Overbeck and Fawcett and Scury as goalie, now that was a deep team.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:47 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I'm rooting for the ladies, but this team could not compete with the 1999 US women's team that won the World Cup against China. That team was stacked at all positions and there was no drop off with the subs either. Of course many of the players were UNC and Anson Dorrance's work. From what I've seen of this US team, the only players I believe that could have made the 99 team are Wambach, Morgan and Rapinoe (though the 99 team did not go for the long passes and was a much more possession oriented team). 99 team with Hamm as a forward midfielders like Akers, Fouty and Lilly and defenders like Overbeck and Fawcett and Scury as goalie, now that was a deep team.
You'd take Hamm over Morgan? Morgan is everything Hamm was plus she's taller and faster too. The 99 team was better on D and in the midfield but not at the forward position.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Foy

Quote:
I feel it's the other way around. The '99 team couldn't compete with this team. There was practically NO competition for them. The rest of the world has caught up in a big way.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:20 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
You'd take Hamm over Morgan? Morgan is everything Hamm was plus she's taller and faster too. The 99 team was better on D and in the midfield but not at the forward position.
Agree that Morgan is faster and taller than Hamm, but Hamm was a finisher. Hamm was a threat to score every time she had the ball. Hamm at the same age that Morgan is now was the best in the world, I don't think Morgan's there yet.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd take Hamm over Morgan everywhere except the bedroom. And I went to highschool with Mia.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:30 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I feel it's the other way around. The '99 team couldn't compete with this team. There was practically NO competition for them. The rest of the world has caught up in a big way.
No Competition? Norway was the US's number one rival back then, Norway had several Christine Sinclair types. Germany another tough opponent back then. The only country that has been consistently at the top in women's soccer has been the US. I don't think the world has caught up to the US as much as the US's game plan/style these past few years is somewhat predictable and flawed. Wambach is always the target player. US formula is often bring the ball down the flanks and then cross into the penalty area to Wambach's head. The 99 team had multiple players that would step up, besides Hamm, Michelle Akers was just as good as Wambach was in the air. The US played a possession game back then and didn't look to or depend upon just one or two players to make the plays.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:31 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
I'd take Hamm over Morgan everywhere except the bedroom. And I went to highschool with Mia.
Lake Braddock

Old
08-08-2012, 09:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Lake Braddock
Burke VA baby!

Old
08-08-2012, 09:35 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Burke VA baby!
Yeah she and Liz Pike played on that Lake Braddock team. Pike went on to coach Lake Braddock girls teams and won a few state championships.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

The 99 team didn't have the sports science that exists now, so you expect there to be better athletes in the current generation. Trouble with selecting for athleticism is a player pool with questionable instincts. Inability to keep possession is a classic sign of bad instincts. That's where the 99 team was far superior.

The way the team is operating they would be keeping someone like Iniesta mostly as a winger/crosser because they have Peter Crouch and Theo Walcott upfront. The game has moved way beyond that.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:08 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
The 99 team didn't have the sports science that exists now, so you expect there to be better athletes in the current generation. Trouble with selecting for athleticism is a player pool with questionable instincts. Inability to keep possession is a classic sign of bad instincts. That's where the 99 team was far superior.

The way the team is operating they would be keeping someone like Iniesta mostly as a winger/crosser because they have Peter Crouch and Theo Walcott upfront. The game has moved way beyond that.
That's pretty much the issue or difference between the 99 team and the current USNT. I give you the current USNT is a more or better athletic team than the 99 team, whereas the 99 team was better technically (ball skills) and tactically (defense, marking and tracking the opponent etc.). The 99 team played against superior athletic teams i.e. Norway, Germany and with the Norwegians they had mixed results early on until they figured them out (made the tactical adjustments). The current USNT team has gotten by or relied upon their athleticism (to include fitness) that they've gotten away from the bread and butter of the sport (technical and tactical skills). This is where the other countries such as Japan and Brazil have improved in their technical and tactical skills thus making them competitive and dangerous to play against. The only thing that will change the USNT team's current direction is a defeat or perhaps the departure of the Wambach's, Solo's and most if not all of their defense.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Foy

I don't think losing the defense is necessarily the answer, I just think there are a lot of issues.

None of our defenders are necessarily in their prime right now. Rampone is old, Lepellbet was never great, and O'Hara and Beuhler are two of the younger players on the team.

They are missing Kreiger on the back line as well. Then you lose your holding midfielder (Boxx) to injury in the openning match, and that's another pressure on the D.

Then you have changes in the midfield where Rapinoe and Heath are playing more than in the world cup last year, taking the spots of more 2-way midfielders. Rapinoe isn't much on D, and Heath is a converted forward. Heather O'Reilly is more talented two ways, but where Cheney was on the wing last year, she's now taken over Boxx's holding role, so she's playing out of position.

It's a lot of little things that add up to a suspect D that still managed to set the record for consecutive minutes without a goal.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:15 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
I don't think losing the defense is necessarily the answer, I just think there are a lot of issues.

None of our defenders are necessarily in their prime right now. Rampone is old, Lepellbet was never great, and O'Hara and Beuhler are two of the younger players on the team.

They are missing Kreiger on the back line as well. Then you lose your holding midfielder (Boxx) to injury in the openning match, and that's another pressure on the D.

Then you have changes in the midfield where Rapinoe and Heath are playing more than in the world cup last year, taking the spots of more 2-way midfielders. Rapinoe isn't much on D, and Heath is a converted forward. Heather O'Reilly is more talented two ways, but where Cheney was on the wing last year, she's now taken over Boxx's holding role, so she's playing out of position.

It's a lot of little things that add up to a suspect D that still managed to set the record for consecutive minutes without a goal.
Lepellbet play on the third goal by Sinclair, where she came off the goal line too early demonstrated a lack of defensive awareness and discipline on her part. In 99 Lilly stayed in that position and prevented a goal. Defensive awareness is what this team is missing, how Sinclair can go unmarked at critical junctures is beyond comprehension. Fawcett, Overback and Hamilton would never have allowed that and Sinclair would of had a lot more grass stains on her jersey.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:54 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

WOWWWW!!!!!

Now that was pretty. Well done USA. Carly Llyod with the header, U.S. up 1-0 in the first 10 minutes of the match.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:11 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Huge lead goal....

Old
08-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Solo's already saved a couple of goals that just about every other keeper in the tournament would have let in. LePeilbet is so bad on either side that I can't even tell which is her natural foot. Buehler is a red card waiting to happen.

It's too bad the Japanese don't have the same level athleticism because they are absolutely bossing the central midfield when they could get the ball. The first touches are night and day.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Foy

ref missed a clear penalty against Heath.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:36 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Solo's already saved a couple of goals that just about every other keeper in the tournament would have let in. LePeilbet is so bad on either side that I can't even tell which is her natural foot. Buehler is a red card waiting to happen.

It's too bad the Japanese don't have the same level athleticism because they are absolutely bossing the central midfield when they could get the ball. The first touches are night and day.
Wasn't it Buehler who got the red card in the WC. I think it was in the match against Brazil. LePeilbet is just too nervous back there, she can easily be pressured and reacts in a negative way whenever she's pressured. I just can't believe the US does not have better options to her.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:37 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
ref missed a clear penalty against Heath.
The soccer gods are smiling brightly upon the US in this tournament. That was a definite handling within the penalty area.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Foy

Quote:
Wasn't it Buehler who got the red card in the WC. I think it was in the match against Brazil. LePeilbet is just too nervous back there, she can easily be pressured and reacts in a negative way whenever she's pressured. I just can't believe the US does not have better options to her.
yeah, Beuhler got the red against Brazil, but it was a VERY questionable red, followed by the incredible retake of the PK.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Most of that team is too nervous with the ball when pressured, even golden girl Morgan. Her default setting when pressured is to play the ball towards the touchline and beat you with speed, though in her defense few teams have the athletes to defend against that right now.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:58 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Okay Carly Lloyd is 99esque. 2-0 USA!!!!!!

BTW like the sub Cheney in for Rapinoe. Rapinoe's been pretty much a non factor in this match.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Lloyd is taking over the game. Keeps showing how much midfield skill matters more than workrate. Especially now that Japan scores as soon as Cheney comes on.

The Buehler red from WC was clear, unless you think Stoke City is a model for fairplay.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Capitlols

I know it's in their nature, but I wish the U.S. would stop looking to attack and play possession.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:25 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Well done ladies!