HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Futbol II

Old
06-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Foy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaSemin28 View Post
How can you be skeptical?
It's a 4 year contract, and Abramovitch has never had a manager last that long, and Mourinho has never lasted in one place that long.

It'll probably be great in the short term, but hopefully it's not a situation like in 2007 where he is suddenly gone at the beginning of the season and the club is floundering.

I'm just glad Benitez is gone.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:28 AM
SashaSemin28
My Krasnaya Mashina

vCash: 833
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
It's a 4 year contract, and Abramovitch has never had a manager last that long, and Mourinho has never lasted in one place that long.

It'll probably be great in the short term, but hopefully it's not a situation like in 2007 where he is suddenly gone at the beginning of the season and the club is floundering.

I blame Avram Grant being at the club for what happened in 07 tbh

SashaSemin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Foy

Quote:
I blame Avram Grant being at the club for what happened in 07 tbh
If it was just that one time, I'd agree with you, but the trend at the bridge since then has been "great Manager, bad skid, out the door."

Ancelotti wins the double, then comes in 2nd the following year and is gone.

After a summer of promising to plan for the future and create stability, they bring in AVB, someone with history at the club, and then fire him with the first run of poor results.

His replacement, already a club legend finally wins the Champions League and the FA cup, is reluctantly given the full time job, with all kinds of words about "Long term stability" and is fired in his first run of poor results, a run that wasn't really all that bad.

I'd be shocked if the Special one lasts more than 3 years.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Duh. Back in '71 Chelsea fans were actually Chelsea fans. Before the FA Cup win in '70 that club had won the League Cup in '65 and nothing else, ever. Their fans were actually fans of the club itself not just of winning.

Now 95% of Chelsea fans are actually Chelski fans, fans of the a nouveau riche club that they only support because they win by spending an unbelievable amount of money. If the money stops flowing so will the winning and the vast majority of these 'fans' will start supporting other clubs. Your mom will still be supporting Chelsea because it is actually her club...
England Champions in 55, Community Shield Winner in '55. If you are going to go off on someone for following a team with no history, get the history right when you are bashing it. This is from a Chelsea fan that barely gave a rats ass about the Europa cup.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Even when they won things, they didn't really have that many fans.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
England Champions in 55, Community Shield Winner in '55. If you are going to go off on someone for following a team with no history, get the history right when you are bashing it. This is from a Chelsea fan that barely gave a rats ass about the Europa cup.
I was already corrected on the 55 league title but nobody gives a rat's ass about anyone's super cup...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:28 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Capital disaster

Quote:
How can you be skeptical?

THIS...

Quote:

I must say though Foy, after a rough start, Benitez did was he was supposed to do. Interested to see how he does in Napoli.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:29 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Capital disaster

Quote:
Standard rules don't apply to Millhaus. Haven't figured that out yet?

Old
06-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
THIS...

I must say though Foy, after a rough start, Benitez did was he was supposed to do. Interested to see how he does in Napoli.
Benitez did what he was supposed to?

He came in and blew the Club World Cup
He came in and he blew the easiest draw ever for the League Cup
He came in and he blew the FA cup
He came in with us 4 points behind United, and we finished 14 back

What did he accomplish? We barely finished 3rd, and he won the NIT of Europe with the reigning champs in a completely undwhelming fashion.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Considering he had an aging squad with a ton of new players to integrate, and the joke of ownership he has behind him, he more than did his job.

You ungrateful lot should be kissing his feet, instead you treated him like rubbish.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Considering he had an aging squad with a ton of new players to integrate, and the joke of ownership he has behind him, he more than did his job.

You ungrateful lot should be kissing his feet, instead you treated him like rubbish.
New players to integrate? Who?

Hazard? started out the season on fire, was fully integrated, fell of a cliff around the same time Benitez came on. Demba Ba? Benitez did nothing with him, and he was brutal at Chelsea despite being given plenty of chances. Oscar? He was never really integrated, he's 20, and he showed glimpses of his talent.

I will give Benitez one thing: he got Torres scoring. Well outside of the premier league at least.

If the Caps brought in Tortorella in the middle of the season, and the team fell from 2nd place in the East to 5th in the East, and made the 2nd round of the playoffs, would you say he "more than did his job?"

Old
06-03-2013, 12:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Capital disaster

Quote:
Benitez did what he was supposed to?

He came in and blew the Club World Cup
He came in and he blew the easiest draw ever for the League Cup
He came in and he blew the FA cup
He came in with us 4 points behind United, and we finished 14 back

What did he accomplish? We barely finished 3rd, and he won the NIT of Europe with the reigning champs in a completely undwhelming fashion.

Realistically, he was supposed to hold the reigns and secure a CL spot until Mourinho arrived. "Interim" managers don't typically have a lot of to do's other than to stem the bleeding.

They didn't have the horses to accomplish your checklist. Not with injuries and spotty player performances. After a horrible start, I thought he had them finish well. Ah well...onto next season.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Foy

Quote:
Realistically, he was supposed to hold the reigns and secure a CL spot until Mourinho arrived. "Interim" managers don't typically have a lot of to do's other than to stem the bleeding.

They didn't have the horses to accomplish your checklist. Not with injuries and spotty player performances. After a horrible start, I thought he had them finish well. Ah well...onto next season.
Chelsea didn't have the horses to win the Club World Cup? ********.
Didn't have the horses to beat Swansea in two legs? ********.

Fine for the FA Cup, Man City is tough, and we got past United. But they were right there with ManU when Rafa came in, and only finished as close as they did because ManU wrapped up the title so early.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Capital disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post

So would you sell Suarez for 50 mil if they can get it?

Old
06-03-2013, 12:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Capital disaster

Quote:

Fine for the FA Cup, Man City is tough, and we got past United. But they were right there with ManU when Rafa came in, and only finished as close as they did because ManU wrapped up the title so early.
No I meant they didn't have the horses to do it all. Individually, in a vacuum, sure they could have won something.

I just think it's overly simplistic to suggest that a guy with a roster in flux, who knows his job is short term (see Authority Undermined), who is battling fan uproar instead of being able to focus on the game, completely crapped the bed and it's all on him.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:15 PM
SashaSemin28
My Krasnaya Mashina

Quote:

The **** against Swansea, that was all on Ivanovic being a complete moron. Swansea also played like we did against Barca/Bayern in our Champions League run. The CWC was an absolute disgrace, the FA Cup I had no problems with it, by that stage of the season, when we had played 20ish more games than City and had played Sunday/Thursday for a few months, I wasn't that bothered about the FA Cup, Europa was much more important for me.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Foy

I'd take one FA Cup over 20 Europa cups.

**** the NIT.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Capital disaster

At least the Europa Cup will garner a CL spot going forward, so it should make it more palatable.

Does suck to be in the loser's tournament that's for sure....certainly feels hollow after last season.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Foy

Quote:
At least the Europa Cup will garner a CL spot going forward, so it should make it more palatable.

Does suck to be in the loser's tournament that's for sure....certainly feels hollow after last season.
I'd rather have gone one more round and gotten blown out, and rested up for real trophies.

Old
06-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
No I meant they didn't have the horses to do it all. Individually, in a vacuum, sure they could have won something.
Benitez inherited a team that won the Champions League the year before and was out of the Champions League this year while only being 4 points behind ManUre in the league.

The priority should have been 100% the league. For a big team the FA Cup, Europa Cup, and League Cup should be afterthoughts. For them only the league and Champions League should matter.

Benitez did a pretty poor job in the only competition that mattered IMO.

Old
06-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Foy

and a big ol' FU to the board that decided they should play two $$$ games at the end of a season when they played, what 58 games? And now they are doing Asian and NA tours after the break? Insane.

Old
06-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
So would you sell Suarez for 50 mil if they can get it?
As fast as I can drive him to the airport.

Brilliant player, but if he wants out, get the heck out.

As much as he has drug the team's name through the mud, he owes them another season, or at least the "hey, I want to play CL, and I just can't wait". Not any "woe is me, I hate the media". If you hate the media, stop biting people.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:54 AM
SashaSemin28
My Krasnaya Mashina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Benitez inherited a team that won the Champions League the year before and was out of the Champions League this year while only being 4 points behind ManUre in the league.

The priority should have been 100% the league. For a big team the FA Cup, Europa Cup, and League Cup should be afterthoughts. For them only the league and Champions League should matter.

Benitez did a pretty poor job in the only competition that mattered IMO.
We technically weren't out of the Champions League, Shakhtar had to beat Juventus in Donetsk and we had to beat Nordjaelland, the fact Shakhtar didn't play for nearly 3 weeks before the Juventus game didn't help.

Though I completely agree with the rest of what you had said, but trophies matter regardless, but the league should have been the number one priority,

Foy, it was around 70 games at the end of the season.

Premier League - 38
Champions League - 6
Europa League - 9
Club World Cup - 2
FA Cup - 7
Capital One Cup - 5
European Super Cup - 1
Community Shield - 1

Total - 69

Old
06-15-2013, 08:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Capital disaster

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/14...r-plea?cc=5901

He's handling this more poorly as the days go on IMO.

Old
06-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/14...r-plea?cc=5901

He's handling this more poorly as the days go on IMO.
What is he supposed to do? I don't blame him for wanting to move on to Madrid given the lack of Champions League football at Liverpool and his not altogether unfair but whatever villainization by the British press.

Madrid are one of the very very top clubs in the world. Regardless of where you are if they come calling your ears are going to perk up. It is what it is and if I were him I'd want to move on to bigger and better things also.

IMO Liverpool should get the most they can for him and move on while giving themselves plenty of time to bring in a couple replacements. If this drags on all summer it isn't going to be good for anyone.