HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Futbol II

Old
06-07-2012, 06:28 PM
sycamore

vCash: 500
Spain and Germany appear to be heavy favorites. Any dark horses we Americans who intend to follow the tournament should know about it?

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Spain and Germany appear to be heavy favorites. Any dark horses we Americans who intend to follow the tournament should know about it?
Russia

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I'm excited. I'll be pulling for Germany as I do in all International tournaments (except if against the US), then England.
Any reason why you cheer for Germany in International tournaments? I always like knowing why people cheer for certain teams. Do you have German ethnicity?

On the German topic, I hope Schweinsteiger will be in full form saturday. Keep hearing hes having trouble battling back from the calf injury and the devastating CL final loss.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:42 PM
sycamore

Our England even considered a soccer power anymore? Their resume in the past 50 years hasnt exactly been impressive: a World Cup in 1960, semi-finals of the WC in 1990...and what? Particularly pathetic when you consider they have one the best professional leagues in the world.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:11 AM
EHCler

Quote:
Well the other big guns always have to be considered favorites.
2 other teams I think that can do well are France (Ribery and Benzema on fire) and host Poland who do have talented team.

Englands has not really functioned as team the last few years and than there is the goalie problem. This year preparation has been desaster and England has lost 3 key players (Lampard Cahill Dafoe) in the last few days. Then there is the Rio Ferdinand controversy does not help the team spirit.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Well Group A is a joke so the Russians should easily come out of that. But they would get the Group B runner up in the quarters so that may be it for them.

Group B is a nightmare and any of those 4 teams could come out of there. Depending on who comes out the Germans, Dutch, or Portuguese could all win the whole thing as they get the Group A teams in the next round.

Group C isn't an easy one either. Spain obviously are the favorites but with Villa out, Torres not exactly firing on all cylinders, and Llorente's game not exactly fitting the style of most of the rest of the team I could see them struggle to score and slip up. Any of the other 3 have a decent shot of getting out IMO as I expect to see a lot of draws in their matches.

France and England shouldn't have too much of a problem getting out of group D but not having Rooney for the first 2 games will make it a decent amount tougher for England.

Last edited by Millhaus: 06-08-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semin View Post
Any reason why you cheer for Germany in International tournaments? I always like knowing why people cheer for certain teams. Do you have German ethnicity?

On the German topic, I hope Schweinsteiger will be in full form saturday. Keep hearing hes having trouble battling back from the calf injury and the devastating CL final loss.
As a kid in the US, I grew up watching Bundesliga on PBS (public tv). In the 80s, that was the only exposure I could ever find to European football. Lothar Matthaus was my favorite player growing up and I've been a Germany fan ever since.

I'm wondering if Schweiny will be mentally recovered. Quite the heartbreaker in the UCL. Wish it hadn't been him on that last miss.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:13 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Our England even considered a soccer power anymore? Their resume in the past 50 years hasnt exactly been impressive: a World Cup in 1960, semi-finals of the WC in 1990...and what? Particularly pathetic when you consider they have one the best professional leagues in the world.
I think so. I think they have the best pro league. Talent wise they're right there. I think they're just too defensive in international play. I suspect we'll see the same style Chelsea used to defeat Barca....defend defend defend and try to make good on a few counter attack opportunities...

Old
06-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Millhaus

Poland up 1-0 and their 3 Dortmund players are all looking very good...

Old
06-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Millhaus

And the ref completely hoses the Greeks and puts them down a man. Poor reffing ruins another match...

Old
06-08-2012, 11:48 AM
sycamore

Looks like they got Helen Keller ref'ing the Greece-Poland game. Guy is beyond brutal.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:51 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Ooof...Greece is ready to riot....oh wait....they're already doing that.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Semin

Quote:
As a kid in the US, I grew up watching Bundesliga on PBS (public tv). In the 80s, that was the only exposure I could ever find to European football. Lothar Matthaus was my favorite player growing up and I've been a Germany fan ever since.

I'm wondering if Schweiny will be mentally recovered. Quite the heartbreaker in the UCL. Wish it hadn't been him on that last miss.
Get what you mean. My back round is German. In 02 watching the world cup Oliver Kahn was my favorite to watch. Just so happened to play for Munich and they get the most exposure over here in canada so I became a Munich fan. Schweiny is my favorite player as of right now.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

And Greece has the equalizer...

Old
06-08-2012, 12:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow...and now Poland loses their keeper to a RED card!

Old
06-08-2012, 12:40 PM
sycamore

Pretty exciting opening game. Lot of drama, controversy.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:43 PM
sycamore

Figure Ovechkin is watching Russia-Czech Republic on the Jumbotron in his media room.

Old
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Millhaus

Great start for the Russians...

Old
06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Millhaus

Nice first half for the Russians.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Millhaus

Here come the Czechs...

Old
06-08-2012, 03:44 PM
SiberianHockey

Very solid first game by Russia.
This Russian futbol NT kinda resembles me Russian Hockey NT: a lot of gifted attacking players, but most of them doesn't want to play defense..

SiberianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
I think so. I think they have the best pro league. Talent wise they're right there. I think they're just too defensive in international play. I suspect we'll see the same style Chelsea used to defeat Barca....defend defend defend and try to make good on a few counter attack opportunities...
Uh, no.

The EPL is the best pro league because they get the most TV revenues, and now with sugar daddies owning the top teams they just go out and outspend everyone else and buy up the best players they can, most of whom are not English. The current generation are probably happier about losing than having to play with their club rivals.

Hodgson is gonna run his 4-4-2 against everyone regardless of talent, which England doesn't have a whole lot of. English football culture is so backasswards that they can't develop a lot of players with technical skills worth a damn given their resources. It might all magically click for them but no one takes them seriously as a contender. The only time they have done anything off the island was Italy '90 and that was the tournament where every team was making the Greece '04 team look like Total Football.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Brave Sir Robin

The referee in the Poland Greece game was a disgrace. Ridiculous red card and a blatant penalty non-call. I hope he doesn't get to ref another game in the Euros.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:44 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Uh, no.

The EPL is the best pro league because they get the most TV revenues, and now with sugar daddies owning the top teams they just go out and outspend everyone else and buy up the best players they can, most of whom are not English. The current generation are probably happier about losing than having to play with their club rivals.

Hodgson is gonna run his 4-4-2 against everyone regardless of talent, which England doesn't have a whole lot of. English football culture is so backasswards that they can't develop a lot of players with technical skills worth a damn given their resources. It might all magically click for them but no one takes them seriously as a contender. The only time they have done anything off the island was Italy '90 and that was the tournament where every team was making the Greece '04 team look like Total Football.
England hater, got it. I enjoy the EPL not because of the TV revenues, but because they have the best overall collection of talent IMO (a few other teams worldwide aside). I don't think they're a World Cup contender no...but still a team not to be taken lightly. It's a shame they're so banged up.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Semin

So nervous for the Germany/Portugal game. Germany needs the full 3 points this game. Tie or loss is unacceptable. If they don't win I doubt they get out of the group.