HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Futbol II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2012, 06:28 PM
  #126
sycamore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 500
Spain and Germany appear to be heavy favorites. Any dark horses we Americans who intend to follow the tournament should know about it?

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:28 PM
  #127
Bure
Registered User
 
Bure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Spain and Germany appear to be heavy favorites. Any dark horses we Americans who intend to follow the tournament should know about it?
Russia

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:46 PM
  #128
Semin
.
 
Semin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I'm excited. I'll be pulling for Germany as I do in all International tournaments (except if against the US), then England.
Any reason why you cheer for Germany in International tournaments? I always like knowing why people cheer for certain teams. Do you have German ethnicity?



On the German topic, I hope Schweinsteiger will be in full form saturday. Keep hearing hes having trouble battling back from the calf injury and the devastating CL final loss.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:42 PM
  #129
sycamore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 500
Our England even considered a soccer power anymore? Their resume in the past 50 years hasnt exactly been impressive: a World Cup in 1960, semi-finals of the WC in 1990...and what? Particularly pathetic when you consider they have one the best professional leagues in the world.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:11 AM
  #130
EHCler
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Spain and Germany appear to be heavy favorites. Any dark horses we Americans who intend to follow the tournament should know about it?
Well the other big guns always have to be considered favorites.
2 other teams I think that can do well are France (Ribery and Benzema on fire) and host Poland who do have talented team.

Englands has not really functioned as team the last few years and than there is the goalie problem. This year preparation has been desaster and England has lost 3 key players (Lampard Cahill Dafoe) in the last few days. Then there is the Rio Ferdinand controversy does not help the team spirit.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:04 AM
  #131
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Spain and Germany appear to be heavy favorites. Any dark horses we Americans who intend to follow the tournament should know about it?
Well Group A is a joke so the Russians should easily come out of that. But they would get the Group B runner up in the quarters so that may be it for them.

Group B is a nightmare and any of those 4 teams could come out of there. Depending on who comes out the Germans, Dutch, or Portuguese could all win the whole thing as they get the Group A teams in the next round.

Group C isn't an easy one either. Spain obviously are the favorites but with Villa out, Torres not exactly firing on all cylinders, and Llorente's game not exactly fitting the style of most of the rest of the team I could see them struggle to score and slip up. Any of the other 3 have a decent shot of getting out IMO as I expect to see a lot of draws in their matches.

France and England shouldn't have too much of a problem getting out of group D but not having Rooney for the first 2 games will make it a decent amount tougher for England.


Last edited by Millhaus: 06-08-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
  #132
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semin View Post
Any reason why you cheer for Germany in International tournaments? I always like knowing why people cheer for certain teams. Do you have German ethnicity?



On the German topic, I hope Schweinsteiger will be in full form saturday. Keep hearing hes having trouble battling back from the calf injury and the devastating CL final loss.
As a kid in the US, I grew up watching Bundesliga on PBS (public tv). In the 80s, that was the only exposure I could ever find to European football. Lothar Matthaus was my favorite player growing up and I've been a Germany fan ever since.

I'm wondering if Schweiny will be mentally recovered. Quite the heartbreaker in the UCL. Wish it hadn't been him on that last miss.

__________________
George McPhee....The Teflon GM. 15 years of failure and counting....

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:13 AM
  #133
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Our England even considered a soccer power anymore? Their resume in the past 50 years hasnt exactly been impressive: a World Cup in 1960, semi-finals of the WC in 1990...and what? Particularly pathetic when you consider they have one the best professional leagues in the world.
I think so. I think they have the best pro league. Talent wise they're right there. I think they're just too defensive in international play. I suspect we'll see the same style Chelsea used to defeat Barca....defend defend defend and try to make good on a few counter attack opportunities...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:33 AM
  #134
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Poland up 1-0 and their 3 Dortmund players are all looking very good...

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:48 AM
  #135
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
And the ref completely hoses the Greeks and puts them down a man. Poor reffing ruins another match...

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:48 AM
  #136
sycamore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 500
Looks like they got Helen Keller ref'ing the Greece-Poland game. Guy is beyond brutal.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:51 AM
  #137
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,213
vCash: 500
Ooof...Greece is ready to riot....oh wait....they're already doing that.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:10 PM
  #138
Semin
.
 
Semin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
As a kid in the US, I grew up watching Bundesliga on PBS (public tv). In the 80s, that was the only exposure I could ever find to European football. Lothar Matthaus was my favorite player growing up and I've been a Germany fan ever since.

I'm wondering if Schweiny will be mentally recovered. Quite the heartbreaker in the UCL. Wish it hadn't been him on that last miss.
Get what you mean. My back round is German. In 02 watching the world cup Oliver Kahn was my favorite to watch. Just so happened to play for Munich and they get the most exposure over here in canada so I became a Munich fan. Schweiny is my favorite player as of right now.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:21 PM
  #139
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,213
vCash: 500
And Greece has the equalizer...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:28 PM
  #140
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,213
vCash: 500
Wow...and now Poland loses their keeper to a RED card!

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:40 PM
  #141
sycamore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 500
Pretty exciting opening game. Lot of drama, controversy.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:43 PM
  #142
sycamore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 500
Figure Ovechkin is watching Russia-Czech Republic on the Jumbotron in his media room.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
  #143
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Great start for the Russians...

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
  #144
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Nice first half for the Russians.

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:00 PM
  #145
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Here come the Czechs...

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:44 PM
  #146
SiberianHockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Moscow
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Very solid first game by Russia.
This Russian futbol NT kinda resembles me Russian Hockey NT: a lot of gifted attacking players, but most of them doesn't want to play defense..

SiberianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:56 PM
  #147
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I think so. I think they have the best pro league. Talent wise they're right there. I think they're just too defensive in international play. I suspect we'll see the same style Chelsea used to defeat Barca....defend defend defend and try to make good on a few counter attack opportunities...
Uh, no.

The EPL is the best pro league because they get the most TV revenues, and now with sugar daddies owning the top teams they just go out and outspend everyone else and buy up the best players they can, most of whom are not English. The current generation are probably happier about losing than having to play with their club rivals.

Hodgson is gonna run his 4-4-2 against everyone regardless of talent, which England doesn't have a whole lot of. English football culture is so backasswards that they can't develop a lot of players with technical skills worth a damn given their resources. It might all magically click for them but no one takes them seriously as a contender. The only time they have done anything off the island was Italy '90 and that was the tournament where every team was making the Greece '04 team look like Total Football.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:49 PM
  #148
Brave Sir Robin
Registered User
 
Brave Sir Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
The referee in the Poland Greece game was a disgrace. Ridiculous red card and a blatant penalty non-call. I hope he doesn't get to ref another game in the Euros.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:44 AM
  #149
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Uh, no.

The EPL is the best pro league because they get the most TV revenues, and now with sugar daddies owning the top teams they just go out and outspend everyone else and buy up the best players they can, most of whom are not English. The current generation are probably happier about losing than having to play with their club rivals.

Hodgson is gonna run his 4-4-2 against everyone regardless of talent, which England doesn't have a whole lot of. English football culture is so backasswards that they can't develop a lot of players with technical skills worth a damn given their resources. It might all magically click for them but no one takes them seriously as a contender. The only time they have done anything off the island was Italy '90 and that was the tournament where every team was making the Greece '04 team look like Total Football.
England hater, got it. I enjoy the EPL not because of the TV revenues, but because they have the best overall collection of talent IMO (a few other teams worldwide aside). I don't think they're a World Cup contender no...but still a team not to be taken lightly. It's a shame they're so banged up.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:30 AM
  #150
Semin
.
 
Semin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,863
vCash: 500
So nervous for the Germany/Portugal game. Germany needs the full 3 points this game. Tie or loss is unacceptable. If they don't win I doubt they get out of the group.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.