HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Ruutu out 3 weeks

Old
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

vCash: 500
Ruutu out 3 weeks

Per Chip

Quote:
Ruutu to miss three weeks with upper body injury
What do we do now?

2 12 oz Drinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Not much anyone can do. Unlikely he gets traded unless some team can be convinced he'll really be back 100% in a short period. JR has less leverage in trying to force him to sign a deal now also. Bad luck on this one.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
The Hurricanes can still trade him. A contender can afford to wait the 7-10 days it will take for him to get healthy after the deadline.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The Hurricanes can still trade him. A contender can afford to wait the 7-10 days it will take for him to get healthy after the deadline.
True but this will bring his value down.

2 12 oz Drinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Depends on how valid the 3 weeks truly is and whether the team can be convinced he'll truly be back then.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
JR is a moron

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan793 View Post
True but this will bring his value down.
True, but right now his competition in rentals is Parise (who probably will not be traded) and Hemsky (who is also injury prone, and is having a crap year to top it off).

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I don't know why anybody cares. He'll have an extension signed before he plays another game. All this does is put him in Raleigh full time to hash out the details.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
This ticks me off so bad. I think the reason I'm so mad is because I predicted a couple weeks ago that this would happen. Obviously that's nothing I get bonus points for, but we all know how Ruutu plays the game. IMO, JR should have either signed him by now or sat his butt until he signed/traded him. I realize you can't do that for very long, but a few weeks wouldn't have been a big deal. Now we could be completely screwed and it's just super frustrating.

I predict the next move is sending Bowman back down and bringing Samson up.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I don't know why anybody cares. He'll have an extension signed before he plays another game. All this does is put him in Raleigh full time to hash out the details.
Probably correct.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:08 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
This ticks me off so bad. I think the reason I'm so mad is because I predicted a couple weeks ago that this would happen. Obviously that's nothing I get bonus points for, but we all know how Ruutu plays the game. IMO, JR should have either signed him by now or sat his butt until he signed/traded him. I realize you can't do that for very long, but a few weeks wouldn't have been a big deal. Now we could be completely screwed and it's just super frustrating.

I predict the next move is sending Bowman back down and bringing Samson up.
At the same time, nothing stops JR from signing him now while he's hurt. As for sitting him, that's a double edged sword. Sure the risk of on-ice injuries go down but he can still get injured in practice. On top of that you'd have issues and concerns with how long it would take him to knock the rust off, as it were, as well as the lack of statistical production potentially making other trade targets more attractive. IMO, JR did the right thing and it was just bad luck.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
TheBigKahuna

This probably plays right into JR's plans. Jimmy did not want to trade Ruutu...and now has a built in excuse..."nobody was willing to pay fair market value for him with the injury"..."so we now have until July 1st to work out a new deal."

Not Jimmy's best year. Might as well get in a SUPER hurry now to trade away Spacek and Allen for low draft picks while you can!

No way does Ruutu sign an new deal now unless Jimmy WAY overpays. I predict this lingers on into the summer.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Caniac4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
At the same time, nothing stops JR from signing him now while he's hurt. As for sitting him, that's a double edged sword. Sure the risk of on-ice injuries go down but he can still get injured in practice. On top of that you'd have issues and concerns with how long it would take him to knock the rust off, as it were, as well as the lack of statistical production potentially making other trade targets more attractive. IMO, JR did the right thing and it was just bad luck.
Ya, I know sitting him isn't a really good solution... it just seems like JR's timing is off a bit. Why are we just discussing an extension now? That could have been done and over with weeks or even months ago. And I'm of the opinion that holding onto him until 3:00 on deadline day probably isn't going to get us so much more than we could have gotten a couple weeks ago. IMO, JR took this risk when he really didn't need to.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
No way does Ruutu sign an new deal now unless Jimmy WAY overpays. I predict this lingers on into the summer.
I don't think he left himself any other option with how publicized these negotiations have been going. Neither side is probably going to give and I don't think this injury did anything to influence the leverage of either party. Point being "Ruutu you have an injury history - which is why we don't want to give you 5 years". Point to Rutherford "Well, you can't trade me hurt and you already said sign or trade by the deadline". I think it's a neutral charge here.

I would be literally dumbfounded if nothing is done by way of trade or signing by the 27th. I don't think there are any other options.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:42 PM
totalkev

I'm starting to actually feel for JR he's had such a bad run the past three years. Of course, most of the damage is self-inflicted, so there's a limit to my sympathy, but let's be honest. JR would probably be on the hot seat if he was in any other organization. He's been that bad over the past several years. It's really amazing to see how fast he's totally lost it, after being one of the brightest for several years.

The main take away from this fiasco is that JR isn't the guy to lead a successful rebuild, so he's going to continue to try to win now, and get younger/cheaper at the same time. He doesn't have the guts to do what has to get done, when it has to get done, and it's killing us. It's bad enough he let Maurice crash this season into the wall before it even started, now we're going to overpay for Gleason *and* Ruutu.

Honestly, the best thing for the Hurricanes and PK/JR would be another radically changed CBA, even if it takes another lockout. These guys just cannot get out of their own way.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Caniac4ever

Darren Dreger-

Quote:
Because of interest in resigning him and now injury, Tuomo Ruutu is no longer a trade option.

Old
02-14-2012, 06:01 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

roflllllll

Old
02-14-2012, 06:30 PM
MD
#woofwoof

I would rather resign him then trade him at this point anyways, so its not a big deal really

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:42 PM
bleedgreen

Rutherford said nothing has changed, who knows where Dreger got this. His value won't change, unless he looks like he is done for two months or something.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:47 PM
dogbazinho

Any other franchise wouldn't be so thin that a 2nd-3rd line tweener going down becomes the end of the world. I don't feel bad for Rutherford at all. Hell I think he appreciates the built in excuse he has for another year. Sign Ruutu or trade I hope Rutherford prepares to get bent in the off season when no one will want to sign here and he must overpay to be competitive.

Waiting to the deadline has it's risks. Not only injury but our team has been playing well enough with Ruutu to put our number 2 draft position at risk. Dumping player's isn't just about freeing up salary or getting more draft picks but solidifying a solid draft position in the top ten. I'd rather pick 2nd with a 2nd round pick for Ruutu than an extra last first rounder sitting at pick 5.

Now, JR is almost in a must sign situation. Any advantage gained in negotiations by Ruutu's injury is negated by the fact he has almost 0 trade value now. Ruutu's agent seems like a clever one and will use whatever advantage he can I'm sure.

Last edited by dogbazinho: 02-14-2012 at 07:01 PM.
dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Anton Maurice

What will it take to satiate Staal's jealousy?

Anton Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:59 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Maurice View Post
What will it take to satiate Staal's jealousy?
Skinner traded for Cole

Old
02-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Fml.

02-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

On the plus side, this should stop this silly point streak and get us back on track for Nail

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:58 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

JR did nothing wrong here by waiting. Just unfortunate luck.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote