HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2012 - Draft Thread V

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
with pick number 368, jkrx selects a player from the pre-merger days who was a fairly strong scorer, made it to 10 consecutive pcha all-star teams, won five league championships, does just about everything well, and is one of my personal favourites, from springford, ontario, right winger..

edward cole "eddie" oatman!

seventies' bio on oatman has some excellent information about this pre-merger star.

I'll pm the next gm.

(*^@ you!!

Old
02-17-2012, 01:36 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Well this pick should come as no surprise looking at the lineup I'm rolling out:

Lada Togliatti selects as its head coach Fred Shero

interesting note: he was voted by the Philadelphia Daily News as the greatest coach or manager in Philadelphia sports history. That includes legendary Philadelphia Athletics manager Connie Mack.

Old
02-17-2012, 01:38 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
With pick number 368, jkrx selects a player from the pre-merger days who was a fairly strong scorer, made it to 10 consecutive PCHA All-Star teams, won five league championships, does just about everything well, and is one of my personal favourites, from Springford, Ontario, right winger..

Edward Cole "Eddie" Oatman!

seventies' bio on Oatman has some excellent information about this pre-merger star.

I'll PM the next GM.
wow, a couple of my favourites have gone lately, and they may be underrated players, but their draft positions this time around have made me ask, "has the love gone too far now?"

Old
02-17-2012, 01:39 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Well this pick should come as no surprise looking at the lineup I'm rolling out:

Lada Togliatti selects as its head coach Fred Shero

interesting note: he was voted by the Philadelphia Daily News as the greatest coach or manager in Philadelphia sports history. That includes legendary Philadelphia Athletics manager Connie Mack.
Love Shero. In the top-6 coaches of all-time AFAIC. (along with Bowman, Arbour, Blake, and Patrick)

Old
02-17-2012, 01:48 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I really like Sutter as a player because I had him last year(I got him at 409) but I still think it's too early for him. I think I got good value for him last year, but I think he should go somewhere around 380-390.
It's pick 364. At this point in the draft, I'm not risking losing out another LW. In the last round and a half, my top-5 choices all were taken. My next pick is 388 and frankly..that's cutting it a little too close. I'm also not one to trade around a lot.

Sometimes it's less about draft position, and more about what your teams needs are. When you don't see anyone that will fit that bill that won't go in the next ten picks..you give a guy a jump.

Old
02-17-2012, 01:55 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
[chaosrevolver]It's pick 364. At this point in the draft, I'm not risking losing out another LW. In the last round and a half, my top-5 choices all were taken.
No point in missing out on the guy you need just because you could have maybe had him with your next pick.

I had my eye on Sutter as well, and I probably wasn't the only one. I liked that although he had a buttload of penalty minutes, they were largely the result of fights, so he's not a guy that'll put the team shorthanded very often.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:00 PM
jarek

Quote:
wow, a couple of my favourites have gone lately, and they may be underrated players, but their draft positions this time around have made me ask, "has the love gone too far now?"
Are you talking specifically about Oatman? I mean, he's got a great scoring record and his 10 consecutive PCHA AST selections is pretty impressive. I'd say he could still use a bit of a jump from here.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:29 PM
tony d
The man

Some thoughts on a few recent picks:

Brian Sutter: Gave a lot of thought to picking him before I went with Damphousse. Sutter's a good pick at this point but with Larmer on my line decided not to go with him.

Fred Shero: I know Dave we discussed picking him last year, great coach. Was hoping he'd last until the next round or when I decide to pick my coach.

Dave Poulin: Was between him and Luce for my last pick. Luce just read as a better 3rd line centre but Poulin's a good pick as well.

Good picks by everyone else, this is a total crapshoot this year and anyone can win it.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
Old
02-17-2012, 02:54 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Yeah, seems a little early for Oatman to me, honestly. But he does have kind of unique skill set, which brings me to:

Quote:
not sure about this one... this is your first questionable pick.
You're talking about Pete Mahovlich, definitely not the BPA, but drafted for his unique skill set:

He's a true C/LW, meaning he can play just as well at C and LW - his two 100 point seasons were at C, but I don't think anybody takes those very seriously without Lafleur on his line. What does this mean? I can play him at LW at even strength and C on the PK, which means I probably don't need to have Keats or Bowie take a regular shift on the PK.

He's an elite penalty killer, and has more offensive upside that most penalty killers of his calibre (at least the ones who would be available now).

He's definitely not a shut down guy at even strength, though he's fairly responsible two-ways.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:56 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
To Nalyd: 372, 415

To Me: 367, 431

After this trade the Fireworks are very please to select our 2nd member of our 3rd line:

Selke Winner and noted Shadower of Gretzky, Lemieux etc...

C Dave Poulin

Pulford - Poulin - XXXXX
Poulin is so awesome.. I wanted to take him again but couldn't pass up Richards with my team concept.

Poulin gives you great leadership & determination, one of the best penalty killers even in an ATD setting, great defense, and some offense thrown in.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:56 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Are you talking specifically about Oatman? I mean, he's got a great scoring record and his 10 consecutive PCHA AST selections is pretty impressive. I'd say he could still use a bit of a jump from here.
I don't think his scoring record is that great. He's a big step down from Fredrickson/Morris/Dunderdale/MacKay, right?

Old
02-17-2012, 02:57 PM
jarek

I'm shocked that anyone thinks this is early for Oatman when his scoring resume and All Star selections alone put him ahead of guys like Sutter, Adams, Gord Roberts, etc.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:58 PM
jarek

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't think his scoring record is that great. He's a big step down from Fredrickson/Morris/Dunderdale/MacKay, right?
I specifically linked his bio in the selection post. Did you miss that? His scoring record is right there, you can compare them yourself and come to your own conclusion.

Old
02-17-2012, 03:09 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
I'm surprised he got taken as a LW again. In a 40 team draft, 16 more players become eligible to be a 2nd line LW and then he looks somewhat attractive (I really needed his skillset next to the tin man there). but with 32 teams I thought he'd end up back where he's more comfortable (and where I'd feel more comfortable with him) - 3rd or 4th line center.
That is why I wanted him there too. Not that Barry or Mosienko back down from physical play, quite the contrary there are references to both of them taking their licks to get the job done.

However, I have a specific team concept going on that I need to balance somewhat with enough physical threat. Adams is quoted a few times as being able to skate and having good speed so that part of him fits into one of my parameters, and his temperament will keep the opposition from taking liberties with the other two and win them battles on the boards.

Adams may be a little lighter in scoring ability while playing LW compared to C (if we discount him a little for playing wing), but I have plenty of offensive punch on that line even if he does..

I do have the option of another combination of forwards but I like my top 6 the way it is at the moment. I'll adjust as need be later.

Old
02-17-2012, 03:15 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
I specifically linked his bio in the selection post. Did you miss that? His scoring record is right there, you can compare them yourself and come to your own conclusion.
This is the most in-depth comparison I've seen of the scoring records of the PCHA stars:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=283

The one flaw is that sturm didn't adjust for the low recorded assist numbers that would underrate a playmaker like Cyclone Taylor and overrate a goal scorer like Tommy Dunderdale. That would definitely help Oatman (since his only two particularly good finishes are his two 1st place finishes in assists), but would it put him in the same league as the others?

Old
02-17-2012, 03:19 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Love Shero. In the top-6 coaches of all-time AFAIC. (along with Bowman, Arbour, Blake, and Patrick)
I don't think there is any better coach than Shero right now, but I think there are a few others on the same level. Shero was a great coach, an innovator, a guy who made his teams more than the sum of their parts. But he just didn't do it for as long as other coaches and didn't repeat his success elsewhere like some other guys, right?

Old
02-17-2012, 04:07 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Are the boards seriously crashing because Hal Gill got traded?

Old
02-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
yeah habs fans are ridiculous I agree , there's no reason to follow the montreal canadiens to this degree in the last few years.A few update here and there is enough.

The worst thing is , these guys are actually proud of crashing hfboards because of this , they're just a bunch of clowns.

Old
02-17-2012, 04:16 PM
jarek

Quote:
This is the most in-depth comparison I've seen of the scoring records of the PCHA stars:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=283

The one flaw is that sturm didn't adjust for the low recorded assist numbers that would underrate a playmaker like Cyclone Taylor and overrate a goal scorer like Tommy Dunderdale. That would definitely help Oatman (since his only two particularly good finishes are his two 1st place finishes in assists), but would it put him in the same league as the others?
No, it wouldn't put him in the same league as the others. If it did, Oatman would be a massive steal right now. As it is, do you disagree that this is a good spot for a player who has many top-10 finishes in several offensive categories, 10 consecutive appearances on the PCHA ASTs, and demonstrable proficiency in his play without the puck? I'd say Oatman is a very good selection here. If we're going to take seriously the accomplishments of guys like Dunderdale and Gord Roberts, then Eddie Oatman absolutely deserves praise as well for what he did in his career. The volume of what he did is no less than the aforementioned players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Are the boards seriously crashing because Hal Gill got traded?
Give Habs fans a break, they haven't had something to cheer about for a long, long time.

Old
02-17-2012, 04:37 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
No, it wouldn't put him in the same league as the others. If it did, Oatman would be a massive steal right now. As it is, do you disagree that this is a good spot for a player who has many top-10 finishes in several offensive categories, 10 consecutive appearances on the PCHA ASTs, and demonstrable proficiency in his play without the puck? I'd say Oatman is a very good selection here. If we're going to take seriously the accomplishments of guys like Dunderdale and Gord Roberts, then Eddie Oatman absolutely deserves praise as well for what he did in his career. The volume of what he did is no less than the aforementioned players.
Weren't there only 12 forwards who saw a regular shift in the PCHA at once plus 4 rovers? Top 10 of 16 is hardly impressive. His top 5 picks are more meaningful, but I still strongly prefer percentages for such a small league.

Who was Oatman's competition for those all star teams? The PCHA wasn't exactly loaded with quality right wings. Edit: not to mention the majority of those All Star teams appear to be 2nd team. 2nd out of 4 RWs in the league... Meh

I see him as an above average 4th liner or below average 2nd liner

Quote:
Give Habs fans a break, they haven't had something to cheer about for a long, long time.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 02-17-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old
02-17-2012, 04:47 PM
jarek

Quote:
Weren't there only 12 forwards who saw a regular shift in the PCHA at once plus 4 rovers? Top 10 of 16 is hardly impressive. His top 5 picks are more meaningful, but I still strongly prefer percentages for such a small league.

Who was Oatman's competition for those all star teams? The PCHA wasn't exactly loaded with quality right wings.
You have to include some of the defensemen too, but yeah, you're right on the first point. I do wonder what his percentages look like, however (don't care enough to figure it out myself, however.. and I lack an SIHR account).

As far as his competition, don't know. Ask seventies.

Old
02-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Oatman does look like a better offensive talent than Dunderdale...

But he clearly was not one of the PCHA's elite talents.

Edit: I only see 6 All-star teams he's on... But I maybe don't have a definitive list. Is there one?

02-17-2012, 06:03 PM
DoMakc

Quote:
While it's true, I'm not sure Leafs' fans are really in position to mock them.

SO much for new server. I think we should stop the draft clock for the trading deadline.

Old
02-17-2012, 06:06 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Oatman does look like a better offensive talent than Dunderdale...

But he clearly was not one of the PCHA's elite talents.

Edit: I only see 6 All-star teams he's on... But I maybe don't have a definitive list. Is there one?
Check seventies' bio. I don't have an SIHR account to verify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMakc View Post
While it's true, I'm not sure Leafs' fans are really in position to mock them.

SO much for new server. I think we should stop the draft clock for the trading deadline.
At least the Leafs are in a position to make the playoffs..

Old
02-17-2012, 06:41 PM
seventieslord

I did a pcha thing last draft that did normalize the assist rate. I am on my phone but someone should search for it. Just enter a few pcha forward names and my username. It will be in one of the draft threads.

Closed Thread