HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn's Future: Is it in Montreal?

View Poll Results: What will happen to Le Frère André?
Traded before trade deadline 98 54.14%
Departure as UFA 25 13.81%
Back in Montreal next year 58 32.04%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2012, 09:26 PM
  #51
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
The problem with Andrei is we've been waiting for him to "break out" for how many years now? I think he's got 30 goal potential, but not on this team. I'd have no issue if he's traded or kept. But if he's traded his production and physicality needs to be replaced. I really wanted those Simmonds to Montreal rumors to be true last year. That's the type of guy I'd like to replace Andrei.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:31 PM
  #52
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
I think he's done. AK will always give us the 20G-45 pts season.. but I think they want more from him...

Also. stupid RC putting AK and Gomez together. The worst moments for AK in the past 2 seasons was when he played with Gomez. The numbers are there to prove it and its quite telling.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:32 PM
  #53
thegreaterikku
Registered User
 
thegreaterikku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St-Ambroise
Country: Canada
Posts: 266
vCash: 500
Until we don't address and correct that stupid defensive system we have since forever, we could have anyone... they will all fail in Montreal while our player will flourish with his new team.

We've all read/listen to Gainey/Gauthier said that their team is built on speed and skill. How the hell is it supposed to work when they all have to play defense first? Thus why we never had just a steady 70 points player since forever (if I exclude Kovalev in '08 if I recall).

thegreaterikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:43 PM
  #54
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Yeah, he'll probably be traded. He's a UFA and he's clearly in Cunneyworth's doghouse. Leaving aside that Cunneyworth and Gauthier are placeholders...

Thing is he's not a bad player. 20+ goals and 40-50 pts, which he seems good for each year, are definitely good numbers but they're hardly that of a first-liner. He's probably not going to be the kind of player that was envisioned when he was drafted and those expectations probably mean the end for him. It's a bit unfortunate that his best season as a Hab was his rookie year.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:43 PM
  #55
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
The problem with Andrei is we've been waiting for him to "break out" for how many years now? I think he's got 30 goal potential, but not on this team. I'd have no issue if he's traded or kept. But if he's traded his production and physicality needs to be replaced. I really wanted those Simmonds to Montreal rumors to be true last year. That's the type of guy I'd like to replace Andrei.
Maybe that should make you realize that perhaps, AK is not the problem. Maybe it's you and your expectations.
Why expect a player to have a career year after every season? AK is just what he is, a 20G-40ish pt player. On a great year, he might put in 25-30G and possibly go as high as 60pts.
Trading a player on the sole basis that he hasn't maxed out to his potential is pretty retarded, and exactly what mismanagement is. He still provides secondary and with better depth, tertiary scoring. We came into this season excited of having three offensively capable lines, and it started pretty well with AK-Eller-Moen dominating as a third line.
I don't have an issue if we moved AK, as long as we replaced him with someone. It likely won't come from inside our farm, so if we trade him, better get a good return.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:46 PM
  #56
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
The Habs are repeating the same ****ing mistakes with their young players over and over again.

They have given away so many talented kids that it's not funny anymore.

AK ain't perfect, but who is on this team ?

Who's next ? Subban ? Maxpac ? DD ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:01 PM
  #57
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Maybe that should make you realize that perhaps, AK is not the problem. Maybe it's you and your expectations.
Why expect a player to have a career year after every season? AK is just what he is, a 20G-40ish pt player. On a great year, he might put in 25-30G and possibly go as high as 60pts.
Trading a player on the sole basis that he hasn't maxed out to his potential is pretty retarded, and exactly what mismanagement is. He still provides secondary and with better depth, tertiary scoring. We came into this season excited of having three offensively capable lines, and it started pretty well with AK-Eller-Moen dominating as a third line.
I don't have an issue if we moved AK, as long as we replaced him with someone. It likely won't come from inside our farm, so if we trade him, better get a good return.
I never said AK is the problem. He is what he is, but obviously, every head coach he has had has had a problem with him (whether we agree/disagree is irrelevant)...He's going to make $4M most likely. I wouldn't pay him that to play on the 3rd line.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:04 PM
  #58
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I never said AK is the problem. He is what he is, but obviously, every head coach he has had has had a problem with him (whether we agree/disagree is irrelevant)...He's going to make $4M most likely. I wouldn't pay him that to play on the 3rd line.
I would not too. Unless he is picking up his game in terms of consistency and play RW with Pleks and Bourque on the second line. That is where I would play him until the end of the season (or until the trade deadline...)

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:07 PM
  #59
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I never said AK is the problem. He is what he is, but obviously, every head coach he has had has had a problem with him (whether we agree/disagree is irrelevant)...He's going to make $4M most likely. I wouldn't pay him that to play on the 3rd line.
Doesn't matter what line he plays on if it's on a team with deep depth. If it's to put Darche on the 2nd line, then yea, it's retarded. But if it's because the teams is offensively stacked, then that's more than fine.
Also, what's more important is his ice time. He can be on the third line and still average around 16min per game.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:12 PM
  #60
JLP
чудесный Монреаль
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
What's the point of tanking if we let a top-ten pick walk? Re-sign AK!

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:37 PM
  #61
blueinmtl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Gone for sure, especially the way they have marginalised him recently to pointlessness. Traded for whatever they can get, which, considering how they are using him, won't be much.

Totally bizarre way of doing things, you get him with a ctr where he finally - finally - shows consistency, playmaking, using his size correctly, effort (despite what some on here claim); and then you reduce him to zero with a ctr who brings out only the worst in him.

Hockey is not interchangeable chess pieces, it is all about chemistry and finding a groove with linemates. We had it with AK at last and now it is shot. Lack of confidence in the org with him & will be replaced by Leblanc (not that I mind that so much, but we could have had both productive on the same line, & for a good price as well it seems).

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:51 PM
  #62
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Guess?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:05 AM
  #63
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,506
vCash: 500
You know what?

Let him go.
Just let him go, so he can score more than any of our forward next year and until he retires.(Or we get a normal coach and talented player.)

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:25 AM
  #64
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,200
vCash: 1707
i bet if people started to look at andrei for what he is they'd hate him a lot less. this is what he is: a very physical winger that will score you 20-25 goals each year at a reasonable cap hit and that is not 'injury-prone'.

and the old 'no heart, no effort, lazy player' diatribe is so 2009. since the second half of last year, his effort level, defensive awareness and hustle has dramatically improved. him not scoring does not equal him being lazy. he is still forchecking, backchecking, hitting but the puck just isn't going in. and guess what? that's normal for a 20-25 goal scorer. those guys WILL score in bunches

look at him for what he is and the habs would have to be stupid to let him go if his cap hit stays somewhere around 3.5.

although i see the argument that leblanc can take his place next year, i'd rather we keep AK. and if leblanc is REALLY ready, trade AK next year while he is still signed to a contract. better trade value.

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:38 AM
  #65
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i bet if people started to look at andrei for what he is they'd hate him a lot less. this is what he is: a very physical winger that will score you 20-25 goals each year at a reasonable cap hit and that is not 'injury-prone'.

and the old 'no heart, no effort, lazy player' diatribe is so 2009. since the second half of last year, his effort level, defensive awareness and hustle has dramatically improved. him not scoring does not equal him being lazy. he is still forchecking, backchecking, hitting but the puck just isn't going in. and guess what? that's normal for a 20-25 goal scorer. those guys WILL score in bunches

look at him for what he is and the habs would have to be stupid to let him go if his cap hit stays somewhere around 3.5.

although i see the argument that leblanc can take his place next year, i'd rather we keep AK. and if leblanc is REALLY ready, trade AK next year while he is still signed to a contract. better trade value.
here is what he is a semi talented forward - not the smartest hockey player- could be more physical- can flash great play once in a blue moon- has a bit of cement in his hands- whiffs more on shots and handling passes than any nhl player ive seen- when he is on can be a difference make but not on near enough can go lengthy time without any production- well like by his teammates

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:56 AM
  #66
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
here is what he is a semi talented forward - not the smartest hockey player- could be more physical- can flash great play once in a blue moon- has a bit of cement in his hands- whiffs more on shots and handling passes than any nhl player ive seen- when he is on can be a difference make but not on near enough can go lengthy time without any production- well like by his teammates
You sir, have beaten all your past dumb post. I mean, you dindt just beat them, you kick'd them in the face stuck a nuke in their butt and set them in fire.

That said LOOL at the no hand semi-talented.

Just Youtube him if you never see him play Larek


Last edited by Mrb1p: 02-15-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:19 AM
  #67
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i bet if people started to look at andrei for what he is they'd hate him a lot less. this is what he is: a very physical winger that will score you 20-25 goals each year at a reasonable cap hit and that is not 'injury-prone'.

and the old 'no heart, no effort, lazy player' diatribe is so 2009. since the second half of last year, his effort level, defensive awareness and hustle has dramatically improved. him not scoring does not equal him being lazy. he is still forchecking, backchecking, hitting but the puck just isn't going in. and guess what? that's normal for a 20-25 goal scorer. those guys WILL score in bunches

look at him for what he is and the habs would have to be stupid to let him go if his cap hit stays somewhere around 3.5.

although i see the argument that leblanc can take his place next year, i'd rather we keep AK. and if leblanc is REALLY ready, trade AK next year while he is still signed to a contract. better trade value.
same here... Leblanc may be ready to take his spot but it would be nice if, for a change, we were adding talent instead of replacing it.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:23 AM
  #68
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Still can't believe he isn't playing with Eller every shift, every game. Not to mention that he gets no PP time vs. players who have not taken the PP out of the basement all season.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:49 AM
  #69
WestIslander
Registered User
 
WestIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,298
vCash: 500
Trade him please, he will not sign her.

To Los Angeles: Andrei Kostitsyn + Hal Gill
To Montreal: Derek Forbort + 1st round draft pick in 2012

Future on defense:

Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Forbort - Weber

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:58 AM
  #70
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Trade him please, he will not sign her.

To Los Angeles: Andrei Kostitsyn + Hal Gill
To Montreal: Derek Forbort + 1st round draft pick in 2012

Future on defense:

Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Forbort - Weber
I'd rather get Clifford than Forbort. Ellis is going to be better than Forbort ever will. DF is 6'5 and doesn't play like it. If we're going after a D prospect I'd be more interested in McIlrath from the Rags. We lack toughness on the right side of our D corps. Emelin-McIlrath could be a boss pairing. Beaulieu is also a LD, if he and Tinordi both pan out Gorges is likely going to get traded, as Tinordi will bring everything Gorges does and also physicality and toughness. Beaulieu is our hopeful Markov replacement.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:33 AM
  #71
ReVeuF
Registered User
 
ReVeuF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You know what?

Let him go.
Just let him go, so he can score more than any of our forward next year and until he retires.(Or we get a normal coach and talented player.)
The record is broken, 2 years ago people said the same thing... AK will never change in MTL.

Good for him if he succeed after a trade, it will not happen in MTL if he stay...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:58 AM
  #72
Patofqc
Registered User
 
Patofqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Trade him please, he will not sign her.

To Los Angeles: Andrei Kostitsyn + Hal Gill
To Montreal: Derek Forbort + 1st round draft pick in 2012

Future on defense:

Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Forbort - Weber
You guys are crazy... we are never getting a first round pick for AK

Patofqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:02 AM
  #73
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 18,693
vCash: 500
I have no idea what will actually happen. I think I'd still lean towards keeping him. If he could be re-signed at something like his current salary, then he's a decent option for us.

I really thought that he might get a new look with the new coach and that little streak he had going with Eller. But it seems like things have gone back to normal with him and his lineup roving again.

I'd probably be a bit more willing to overlook those space cadet games he has sometimes, especially if they come in a 5-0 win for us. He does have them at times. But he also has stretches where he's a top player for us. And everything in between. It adds up to a net positive to me, and I think that if we could just settle him onto a line and give him a bit more slack, we could at least have a chance at getting more of the positives from him.

But at the same time, if it's a strong seller's market and if we aren't trending back into the playoff race over the next couple weeks, I'd keep listening to offers. At some point, even with my generally positive impression of AK, I might take the right trade offer. I reckon with our coach's seemingly less positive impression of AK, it makes it even more likely he could be moved.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:25 AM
  #74
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I have no idea what will actually happen. I think I'd still lean towards keeping him. If he could be re-signed at something like his current salary, then he's a decent option for us.

I really thought that he might get a new look with the new coach and that little streak he had going with Eller. But it seems like things have gone back to normal with him and his lineup roving again.

I'd probably be a bit more willing to overlook those space cadet games he has sometimes, especially if they come in a 5-0 win for us. He does have them at times. But he also has stretches where he's a top player for us. And everything in between. It adds up to a net positive to me, and I think that if we could just settle him onto a line and give him a bit more slack, we could at least have a chance at getting more of the positives from him.

But at the same time, if it's a strong seller's market and if we aren't trending back into the playoff race over the next couple weeks, I'd keep listening to offers. At some point, even with my generally positive impression of AK, I might take the right trade offer. I reckon with our coach's seemingly less positive impression of AK, it makes it even more likely he could be moved.
I agree with you but this coach will be elsewhere next year so I hope they don't base their decision on RC's opinion of him.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:31 AM
  #75
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Trade him please, he will not sign her.

To Los Angeles: Andrei Kostitsyn + Hal Gill
To Montreal: Derek Forbort + 1st round draft pick in 2012

Future on defense:

Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Forbort - Weber
Both might get us 1st round but Forbort in bonus no ****ing way

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.