HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2012 Draft Thread: Part IV | "Operation Dumba Drop"

View Poll Results: Which defenseman do you like most?
Ryan Murray 119 56.40%
Jacob Trouba 8 3.79%
Matt Dumba 45 21.33%
Griffin Reinhart 28 13.27%
Cody Ceci 1 0.47%
Morgan Rielly 10 4.74%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2012, 06:32 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
i'd love to have Murray....look how effective Smid is!
I would suggest that half of that is because he can skate.

this is the same logic which suggests they need to drop Whitney ASAP and be thankful we have Petry and Schultz...who are also decent skaters.

Old
03-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Deep down I get the feeling the Oilers are going to draft Murray and put him on the roster next year.
Of course they will. You don't think that Tambellini will actually be proactive and work hard to upgrade the defence do you?

Old
03-10-2012, 11:50 PM
awesomo
HARD!

wow Yakupov got Nail'd today

pun intended

Old
03-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Guess this is relevant to this thread.
Anybody watching HNIC just saw Yakupov get demolished tonight going east-west in the offensive zone with his head down.

Keep your head up kid. Looks like he's going to have a pretty nasty concussion.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Brokenhead

Yakupov got hit so hard that his draft position may actually drop. He got jacked up.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:08 AM
dtribe88

Oh boy!

Old
03-11-2012, 12:15 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Hopefully the kids alright, good sign was that he was able to get off the ice and walking to the dressing room he didn't look to be having balance issues.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:16 AM
South Indian Stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtribe88 View Post

Oh boy!
Columbus has no luck whatsoever. The powers that be are screwing with them.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:29 AM
Soundwave

Dumba follows up one of his worst (if not the worst) game of his season (-3) against the Oil Kings with one of his best ... 1 g, 2 assists.

20 goals for the year ... not too shabby.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:42 AM
dnicks17

I was hoping we'd sign the guy(Mike Halmo) who made that hit. He signed with the Islanders today.

40g44a 158pim in 65 games.

He's basically Andrew Shaw, but better.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:06 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I was hoping we'd sign the guy(Mike Halmo) who made that hit. He signed with the Islanders today.

Don't know much about him, but seems like a very physical/chippy player that has decent hands as well...type of guy maybe we should have taken a flyer on.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:12 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Dumba follows up one of his worst (if not the worst) game of his season (-3) against the Oil Kings with one of his best ... 1 g, 2 assists.

20 goals for the year ... not too shabby.
I was there. He was very good.

We would be idiots not to take him.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:22 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:

That one still shocks me. Lol. 2 seasons ago, he was a bottom 6 forward in Niagara. He was a fan favourite for his energy, but noone thought he would go anywhere. He was even packaged with Petgrave and picks to acquire Shipley for the start of last season. (a deal that only started to look okay at Christmas THIS season)

Old
03-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Beerfish

The further we go along the more I hope we end up the 2nd pick (or the 1st if we win the lottery) and take Yakupov or Grigorenko. Last year this was touted as the year of the defenseman which was a good thing for the oilers but the problem is that I don't think any of these top rated defensemen are all around franchise players, they all have what looks like holes in their game.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Wow. Yak got rocked. Bad play for him though. He cannot be going into traffic like that in the NHL. The Suttons will clock him to the IR.

Dumba was a beauty last night. Loved being at the game. Big crowd. A lot of goals. A lot of rough play. haha.

Dumba 1G 2A +2
Reinhart 0G 1A +4 12PIM
Samuelsson 0G 1A +1 2PIM

Old
03-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Wow. Yak got rocked. Bad play for him though. He cannot be going into traffic like that in the NHL. The Suttons will clock him to the IR.

Dumba was a beauty last night. Loved being at the game. Big crowd. A lot of goals. A lot of rough play. haha.

Dumba 1G 2A +2
Reinhart 0G 1A +4 12PIM
Samuelsson 0G 1A +1 2PIM
I've seen Reinhart play probably 5 or 6 times. I'll admit that's not enough to have a strong opinion on his game...but I have never once been THAT impressed by him. He just seems very average. Maybe I'm going to the wrong games but I thought Dumba showed me more in one game last night than I've ever seen from Reinhart.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Can anyone who went give us a snapshot of Dumba's defensive game?

There were some tweets that he was all-world offensively last night but was having troubles in his own zone. I mean, look who he's playing, but if anyone wants to give their own opinion please do.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:37 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Can anyone who went give us a snapshot of Dumba's defensive game?

There were some tweets that he was all-world offensively last night but was having troubles in his own zone. I mean, look who he's playing, but if anyone wants to give their own opinion please do.
Whoever said he was having troubles in his own zone last night was full of ****.

He was the best player on the ice for either team.

Easily.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:43 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The further we go along the more I hope we end up the 2nd pick (or the 1st if we win the lottery) and take Yakupov or Grigorenko. Last year this was touted as the year of the defenseman which was a good thing for the oilers but the problem is that I don't think any of these top rated defensemen are all around franchise players, they all have what looks like holes in their game.
my thoughts exactly... all the dmen have holes in their games from i have read and seen, and the one who apparently doesn't have any real holes (murray) appears to have a lower ceiling

grigorenko all the way with the 2nd pick for me

Old
03-11-2012, 02:51 PM
puckfan13

Quote:

They're the same age.. One is a legit NHL player at 20 on a playoff team and the other is Mike Halmo. Can't really see how Halmo is "better." Shaw's development over the past 2 years has been unbelievable.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Whoever said he was having troubles in his own zone last night was full of ****.

Easily.
The tweet came within the first half of the game when the score wasn't so high (talking 4 goals max on both sides). Lemme look for it...

EDIT: Ahh, our friends over at The Pipeline Show.

It was after Corbett's 1st goal.

Chronologically... the tweets go as follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePipelineShow
- Matt Dumba opens the scoring on the PP. 1-0 @Rebelshockey
- Beautiful feed from Dumba leads to an easy goal for Tyson Ness. 2-0 @Rebelshockey just a minute into the 2nd period.
- Dumba caught out of position looking for a hit, 4 on 1 for @EdmOilKings and Cody Corbett scores to make it 2-1. Rebels still lead.
- Dumba has been impressive offensively but has been owned physically and in his own end for the most part tonight.

Last edited by Soli: 03-11-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old
03-11-2012, 02:54 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I've seen Reinhart play probably 5 or 6 times. I'll admit that's not enough to have a strong opinion on his game...but I have never once been THAT impressed by him. He just seems very average. Maybe I'm going to the wrong games but I thought Dumba showed me more in one game last night than I've ever seen from Reinhart.
That's usually been the case for me, but I believe it's because he's so big that you expect him to be an all-encompassing force out there. He's a very effective d-man if you watch him closely and he has A LOT of room to grow, which is what scouts love the most about him.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Easily.
Agreed. I thought there were times early in the game where he was wandering a little in his own zone but he never got burned by it.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:26 PM
HopefulCoach

Dumba is great offensively but a lost soul in his own end. All flash and dazzle but no substance. The only time he looked good was when he was in front of the net being physical with someone. Thats also his downfall though. He is way to aggressive in his own end, especially on the PK. He got levelled a couple times to trying to carry the puck out of his own end and turning the puck over as a result of it

Oil Kings first goal and 6th goals are great examples of his lack of understanding of his own zone. on the first one the Oil Kings are on a 4 on 2. Instead of playing it safe and angling the puck carrier wide and trying to take away a passing lane, he goes for the big hit, misses, and takes out the backchecker, giving the Oil Kings a 4 on 1. On the sixth one he is last man and close enough to get a stick on Pelss but instead lets one of the best shots in the league walk in and have a free shot. Not exactly what I would want my dman to be doing when you are only down one goal with about 5 minutes left.

Meanwhile, Reinhart plays a less flashy game but is much more effective in his own zone. His style of game is like Lidstrom. just get the puck through to the net in the o-zone and calm, cool, collected in the dzone. He wont be as good as Lidstrom but his style is similar. He does have weaknesses though. His skating is on the weaker side, especially his turns and transitions.

Everyone likes Dumba because he has a nice shot and lays a big hit every once and awhile but if they both keep trending the way they do I will say that Dumba will put up more points but Reinhart will be a much more complete all around player.

Last edited by Spawn: 03-12-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old
03-11-2012, 05:07 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
The tweet came within the first half of the game when the score wasn't so high (talking 4 goals max on both sides). Lemme look for it...

EDIT: Ahh, our friends over at The Pipeline Show.

It was after Corbett's 1st goal.

Chronologically... the tweets go as follow
He stepped up to make a hit, ended up missing and took out one of his own players, which led to a goal.

As far as him being owned physically, he was knocked down once in his own end.

If that is what they are basing poor defensively and physically owned on, then there really isnt any reason to take their word for anything at all.

Dumba was on the ice for half the game, and wound up +2 when his team gave up 7 goals. Figure it out.

Closed Thread