HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Waive Emery

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2012, 07:23 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I'd be surprised if he played in the NHL after this year but at the same time, I never saw him cracking .890 and staying this long so you never know.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Hawkaholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
no, he wouldn't

he wasn't good for us, he wasn't good for the Ducks in the POs and all he could get was a tryout
He was good for us, until the team started ******** the bed.

I remember at one point he was 11-3 with a .905SV% and 2.6GAA

If he played behind a competent D he would still have numbers relative to that which is a capable backup.

he got the Ducks to the playoffs, without him, they didn't make it.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

and because of him, they lost in the POs

and RGP + Lubo had something to do with bringing them into the POs

11-3 with 90.5 and 2.6GAA is not a good goalie number. It shows that the team was great and outscored the opponents, which we did

I really wonder if watching the likes of Turco and Huet make you think Emery is a great backup. I also wonder if you see other teams backups, and I don't talk about Elliot, Rask or Schneider

Old
02-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Sevanston

I think he can manage an NHL job next year as a backup.

It's pretty well-known that the Hawks haven't really been playing defense, and while Emery hasn't been stellar, he does at least as much as most of the other backups around the league.

If Auld, Clemmenson, and Garon can still land backup jobs, I don't see why Emery couldn't.

Last edited by Sevanston: 02-17-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old
02-17-2012, 09:22 AM
coldsteelonice84

All I've heard out of Ottawa is that Auld is garbage and they want to waive him if they can trade for someone else.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
All I've heard out of Ottawa is that Auld is garbage and they want to waive him if they can trade for someone else.
Auld has been garbage for years, which was exactly my point.

Emery is better than Auld, and Auld can still land backup jobs, so Emery should also still be able to land backup jobs.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
and because of him, they lost in the POs

and RGP + Lubo had something to do with bringing them into the POs

11-3 with 90.5 and 2.6GAA is not a good goalie number. It shows that the team was great and outscored the opponents, which we did

I really wonder if watching the likes of Turco and Huet make you think Emery is a great backup. I also wonder if you see other teams backups, and I don't talk about Elliot, Rask or Schneider
No, they lost in the playoffs because the entire team didn't show up. That and they played a very good Nashville team.

RPG and Lubo weren't helping when Ellis was the starter.

11-3 is all that matters for a back up, who cares how it's done as long as there are wins.

Yes I see other teams back ups, Conklin, Bobrovsky, Johnson (PIT), Neuvirth, Auld, Clemmenson, Labarbera are all as bad or worse than Emery.

Also, when did I say he's a great backup? I said he's a competent one, and that's all we need. The problem is, we don't have a competent starter like most other teams.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:41 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
No, they lost in the playoffs because the entire team didn't show up. That and they played a very good Nashville team.

RPG and Lubo weren't helping when Ellis was the starter.

11-3 is all that matters for a back up, who cares how it's done as long as there are wins.

Yes I see other teams back ups, Conklin, Bobrovsky, Johnson (PIT), Neuvirth, Auld, Clemmenson, Labarbera are all as bad or worse than Emery.

Also, when did I say he's a great backup? I said he's a competent one, and that's all we need. The problem is, we don't have a competent starter like most other teams
Exactly. It is a bonus to have a Rask or a Schneider as a backup and lets face it our goaltending has been a mess for quite a while. When you draft poorly and look for bargain basement goalies, you suffer the consequences when the defense falters. Even when CC is on top of his game, he is average at best.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:50 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Exactly. It is a bonus to have a Rask or a Schneider as a backup and lets face it our goaltending has been a mess for quite a while. When you draft poorly and look for bargain basement goalies, you suffer the consequences when the defense falters. Even when CC is on top of his game, he is average at best.
Well, you just said it. Both are incompetent this year. I agree. We've drafted some intriguing guys but there are so many good goalies out there right now that we just need to trade for/sign one. The plus for us is that there are more starting calibre goalies than jobs so it won't be overly difficult. Also, there are always very good backup options out there. They will cost some of the precious cap space though.

Old
02-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Emery at his best is an average backup at best... great

Old
02-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Emery at his best is an average backup at best... great
Which is all any team needs.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

in todays era, you need good goaltending from both of your goalies. An average backup at best is not good enough.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
in todays era, you need good goaltending from both of your goalies. An average backup at best is not good enough.
Tell that to Detroit.

We also had an average back up the year we won the Cup.

Quit pulling at straws.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Complete bull.

You dont even have to play your backup to win the Cup. How many playoff games did Rask and Huet play combined in their Cup years

Hell, Philly was two wins away from the Cup on the backs of two average (at best) backup goalies, taking down Rask, and Conn Smythe candidate Halak in the process.

To win the Cup, all you need is one goalie. He doesn't even have to be great, just good enough.

Last edited by Sevanston: 02-19-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old
02-19-2012, 11:25 AM
BobbyJet

[QUOTE=Sevanston;44428123]Complete bull.

You dont even have to play your backup to win the Cup. How many playoff games did Rask and Huet play combined in their Cup years

Hell, Philly was two wins away from the Cup on the backs of two average (at best) backup goalies, taking down Rask, Conn Smythe candidate Halak, and 2010 Vezina Miller in the process.

To win the Cup, all you need is one goalie. He doesn't even have to be great, just good enough.[/QUOTE]

Wow. What NHL have you been watching? Though it is possible to get away with a weak back-up goalie, that's about it. Hot goaltending has been a factor pretty much every year since I can remember. Hawks vs Philly, Niemi vs Leighton was an anomoly that we aren't likely see again for many, many years.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Sevanston

[QUOTE=BobbyJet;44428785]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Complete bull.

Hell, Philly was two wins away from the Cup on the backs of two average (at best) backup goalies, taking down Rask, Conn Smythe candidate Halak, and 2010 Vezina Miller in the process.

To win the Cup, all you need is one goalie. He doesn't even have to be great, just good enough.[/QUOTE]

Wow. What NHL have you been watching? Though it is possible to get away with a weak back-up goalie, that's about it. Hot goaltending has been a factor pretty much every year since I can remember. Hawks vs Philly, Niemi vs Leighton was an anomoly that we aren't likely see again for many, many years.
I see a pretty big distinction between a hot goalie and a great goalie.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:30 AM
BobbyJet

[QUOTE=Sevanston;44428983]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post

I see a pretty big distinction between a hot goalie and a great goalie.
True.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Complete bull.

Hell, Philly was two wins away from the Cup on the backs of two average (at best) backup goalies, taking down Rask, and Conn Smythe candidate Halak in the process.

To win the Cup, all you need is one goalie. He doesn't even have to be great, just good enough.
how many games have Niemi and Thomas played in the RS?
You need a 2nd Goalie to give your starter a rest and keep him fresh for the POs.

How many times has a team won the Cup (since the lockout) with their #1 starting 65+ games in the RS?

You need 2 goalies. You need 1 to start and win you games - especially in the POs - and you need another that won't lose you games and the team can trust him all the time. Huet wasn't trusted, but he played more than enough games to keep Niemi fresh for the PO run

funny you talk about DET, they won the Cup won the cup with Vernon, who was a starter long enough, with Osgood - a possible HoF Goalie and with one of the best goalies of all time in Hasek

just to look at the recent winners...
Thomas - Vezina
Niemi - starter for a contender
Fleury - starter for a contender
Osgood - was #1 on more than 1 team and could make the HoF
Giggy - proven starter and won a Smythe without winning the Cup
Ward - starter and one of the best right now

you need the right goalie and please look at how many games they have started and who they had as backup

Old
02-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
just to look at the recent winners...
Thomas - Vezina
Niemi - starter for a contender
Fleury - starter for a contender
Osgood - was #1 on more than 1 team and could make the HoF
Giggy - proven starter and won a Smythe without winning the Cup
Ward - starter and one of the best right now

you need the right goalie and please look at how many games they have started and who they had as backup
2011 Thomas played 57 games, Backups record 11-14-2
2009 Fleury played 62 games, Backups record 10-10-2
2007 Giguere played 58 games, Backups record 12-10-2.

2012 Crawford on pace for 56 games. Emery on pace for 15-9-2

2 years sort of prove your point, except 1 team CHI was the most stacked offense team ever, and 2008 DET was the best defensive team ever assembled.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

why take out the Hawks and Wings? because they were stacked? Nothing against it, but you should take out the Pens with Crosby and Malkin and the Bs with all the talent they have

because they prove more and more that I'm right when I say this?

Huet was 26-14-4 with 4 SOs
Hasek was 27-10-3 with 5 SOs
Gerber was 38-14-6 with 3 SOs

those were the #2 guys on their team in the POs...

all that proves me right. And I remember those seasons. Gerber was good, Hasek was good, Huet had mental problems and wasn't as bad as some say - in the end he was an above average backup. Emery is average at best. We will not win the Cup with a guy like Emery. Just look at the league and see how important goaltending has become

Old
02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
why take out the Hawks and Wings? because they were stacked? Nothing against it, but you should take out the Pens with Crosby and Malkin and the Bs with all the talent they have

because they prove more and more that I'm right when I say this?

Huet was 26-14-4 with 4 SOs
Hasek was 27-10-3 with 5 SOs
Gerber was 38-14-6 with 3 SOs

those were the #2 guys on their team in the POs...

all that proves me right. And I remember those seasons. Gerber was good, Hasek was good, Huet had mental problems and wasn't as bad as some say - in the end he was an above average backup. Emery is average at best. We will not win the Cup with a guy like Emery. Just look at the league and see how important goaltending has become
Why leave the ones out that I posted that prove me right?

What this shows is, the back up goalie DOES NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE AT ALL!

I PROVED WITH FACTS that Emery is a good backup that can win games and has a better win loss record than 2 of the last 3 SC winning back up goalies.

You're right we won't win a Cup with Emery in net, but we sure as hell can win one with him as a backup.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I left them because you already posted the stats... I posted the stats that you left because they prove me right.

The backup makes a big difference over the course of the season. With a situation like the Hawks have, it's even more important. Sure, the Rags could live with Emery instead of Biron, but I still doubt they will win anything while overplaying Lundqvist - same problem the Sharks had with Nabby and the Flames had with Kipper

Old
02-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
I left them because you already posted the stats... I posted the stats that you left because they prove me right.

The backup makes a big difference over the course of the season. With a situation like the Hawks have, it's even more important. Sure, the Rags could live with Emery instead of Biron, but I still doubt they will win anything while overplaying Lundqvist - same problem the Sharks had with Nabby and the Flames had with Kipper
If something proves me right, and proves you right, that means it makes no difference.

Also, maybe you missed when I posted Emerys on pace record?

Why would they overplay Lundqvist when they would have a goalie (Emery) who can win games when needed? Just like he has done with us.

If we had a goalie with a record like the ones I posted, we aren't in the playoffs right now. Fortunately, we have a good back up in Emery who can win games when needed.

Old
02-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Emery hasn't won us any game... really, all he did was not lose us the games early in the season.
I hate "on pace"... make your "on pace" since the start of 2012...

Our backup is average at best and not good enough for a Cup winner - like our #1

Old
02-19-2012, 06:15 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Emery hasn't won us any game... really, all he did was not lose us the games early in the season.
I hate "on pace"... make your "on pace" since the start of 2012...

Our backup is average at best and not good enough for a Cup winner - like our #1
Since when it is a back-ups job to win the team games? It's there job to, when called upon, go in there and give the team a chance to win. Emery's done that, for most of the season.

Closed Thread