HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defense

Old
10-09-2013, 07:16 AM
drewski1988

vCash: 500
Defense

As much as Ranger is getting bashed by Leafs nation, Gunnar has been lacking the most IMO.
Last year he wasn't good, at all. The excuse was his hip injury. This year (albeit 4 games in) he hasn't looked good yet again.
What changes would you make right now to our d pairings if you could?
To be honest, I thought the Rielly - Franson pairing last night was awesome. The Gardiner - Ranger pairing was terrible and the Gunnar - Phaneuf pairing wasn't good.

I'd like to try Gardiner with Phaneuf.
I realize they both like to carry the puck, but if they do get in trouble Gardiner can probably skate back and bail them out.
Also, every other player in the system has had a chance to play with Phaneuf. The reason Gunnar is playing with him is because it's convenient. So why not try Gardiner with Phaneuf? Can't be much worse.

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Franson
Gunnarsson - Ranger

Let that 3rd pairing sink or swim IMO.

drewski1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
If you go with those pairings and Ranger/Gunnarson continue to play poorly, you have to limit them to less than 15 minutes of ice time... Leaving 45+ minutes to split between the other two pairs. Never thought I'd say this, but if Ranger doesn't pick up his game I'll be glad when Fraser is back (I think Ranger can be better, he just hasn't been so far)

Great so far:
Phaneuf
Rielly
Franson

okay so far:
Gardiner (2 good games and 2 bad games I'd say)

bad:
Gunnarson (always looks slower than PHANEUF, and doesn't seem to be playing so great positionally either)
Ranger (Horrible, horrible first pass/first clearing attempt is what has caused him the most grief so far)

As for the D pairings, so far I'd agree with you... but I'd like Ranger to sit a game or two when Fraser gets back so that he can re-focus (I think he can be/will be a lot better than he has showed, I don't think we have another Kostka on our hands).

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:31 AM
HFX902

Id like to ship Gardiner off.

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:32 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

As it stands right now, Ranger should be sitting. He has until Fraser gets back to show he belongs. As much as I love the story here, if doesn't have it, then he doesn't have it. He is by far the weakest link in an already weak chain.

The Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:36 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX902 View Post
Nope.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Gunnar has looked much better than Paul 'I'm getting better slowly but surely' Ranger. What games have you been watching :/

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:37 AM
shaner89

Ranger is a piece of ****

Resigning Gunersson was a huge mistake. Guy has been horrible for 2 years now

Get Brennen up here

Dion Reilly
Gardiner Franson
Gunersson Brennen

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX902 View Post
I'd like to ship you off, but that doesn't mean it's the smartest choice.

Gardiner has been great the last 2 games. He would look much better if his partner wasn't a stiff.

I agree with those pairings. We should recall Liles if Ranger continues to suck. Maybe we can send someone down and get Liles in the top 6.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:41 AM
sokocanuck

vCash: 745
We really need to offer up something nice for a #2 d. that would allow us to move everyone down a spot so they can get the minutes they're more comfortable with.

Phaneuf - New Guy
Franson - Gardiner
Rielly/Fraser - Gunnar
Ranger

I'd feel much better with that line up as it gives us a top pairing, an offensive 2nd pairing and a quality 3rd pairing

sokocanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:43 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner-Fraser
Rielly-Franson
Ranger

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:44 AM
sokocanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
I'd like to ship you off. Doesn't mean it's the smartest choice.

Gardiner has been great the last 2 games. He would look much better if his partner wasn't a stiff.

I agree with those pairings. We should recall Liles if Ranger continues to suck. Maybe we can send someone down and get Liles in the top 6.
If we switch Ranger with Liles, it's the same cap hit as they both would count for only $900,000 off the cap by being down. I'd take that. Ranger needs another year to get his game together.

Phaneuf - Franson
Gardiner - Fraser
Liles - Gunnar
Rielly

Old
10-09-2013, 07:45 AM
drewski1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatomic View Post
Gunnar has looked much better than Paul 'I'm getting better slowly but surely' Ranger. What games have you been watching :/
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

There you go.

Old
10-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokocanuck View Post
If we switch Ranger with Liles, it's the same cap hit as they both would count for only $900,000 off the cap by being down. I'd take that. Ranger needs another year to get his game together.

Phaneuf - Franson
Gardiner - Fraser
Liles - Gunnar
Rielly

I think Ranger will get claimed for sure. I'd like to keep him around though. Can never have enough dmen around.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:50 AM
zapy

For me based on their performance I would rank the defence men as such:
1) Franson
2) Frazer
3) Rielly
4) Phaneuf
5) Gunnarson
6) Gardiner
7) Ranger

Franzon has been truely amazing, Frazer has been good as well, he's obviously not a top pairing defencemen but he always gets the job done and I feel comfortable with him.

Rielly has been impressive, obviously has some flaws, but is doing really good for a rookie and can play both offence and defence.

Phaneuf is making a few mistakes, and they're obvious big mistakes that give the other team scoring chances. I know he's paired against the top line of the other team but still, he's not playing like a 6.5mil defencemen

Gunnarson has been mediocore, not great but just hasn't made many big mistakes.

Gardiner has been bad. Defensively he's been horrible, I don't know why they just don't try playing him as a forward.

Ranger has been horrible and the worst, just a lower class defence men in every aspect. I don't know why we didn't just keep Kostka instead.

I think the problem is we need an upgrade on D.

Girardi - Phaneuf
Franzon - Frazer
Rielly/Gardiner - Gunnarson

zapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:54 AM
BayStreetBullies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapy View Post
1) Franson
2) Frazer
3) Rielly
4) Phaneuf
5) Gunnarson
6) Gardiner
7) Ranger

Phaneuf is making a few mistakes, and they're obvious big mistakes that give the other team scoring chances. I know he's paired against the top line of the other team but still, he's not playing like a 6.5mil defencemen
Obviously they're not big mistakes, and obviously you haven't been watching the same games as everybody else. Phaneuf has been our best D-man by a wide margin in the past 4 games.

BayStreetBullies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:57 AM
sokocanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
I think Ranger will get claimed for sure. I'd like to keep him around though. Can never have enough dmen around.
Yeah, likely I suppose.
I'm fine with sending rielly down. I have a nagging suspicion that he's going to get nailed hard one of these days and be out for a while...

Old
10-09-2013, 07:58 AM
sokocanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBullies View Post
Obviously they're not big mistakes, and obviously you haven't been watching the same games as everybody else. Phaneuf has been our best D-man by a wide margin in the past 4 games.
4 years and counting...

Old
10-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapy View Post
1) Franson
2) Frazer
3) Rielly
4) Phaneuf
5) Gunnarson
6) Gardiner
7) Ranger

Franzon has been truely amazing, Frazer has been good as well, he's obviously not a top pairing defencemen but he always gets the job done and I feel comfortable with him.

Rielly has been impressive, obviously has some flaws, but is doing really good for a rookie and can play both offence and defence.

Gunnarson has been mediocore, not great but just hasn't made many big mistakes.

Gardiner has been bad. Defensively he's been horrible, I don't know why they just don't try playing him as a forward.

Ranger has been horrible and the worst, just a lower class defence men in every aspect. I don't know why we didn't just keep Kostka instead.

I think the problem is we need an upgrade on D.

Girardi - Phaneuf
Franzon - Frazer
Rielly/Gardiner - Gunnarson
I'd have it as:

1. Phaneuf (been pretty darn good, minimal mistakes playing against the top lines... Got a few points already)
2. Franson (3 out of 4 games were really good for him, although I only saw 1/2 of the Colorado game, he was good in that half)
3. Rielly (Thought he would stick and he's played good-great defensively, and when we were behind or he had open ice you could see that offensive skill just oozing from him)
4. Gardiner (2 bad games, then 2 good games... alright overall, since he toned it down he's been doing much better. Thought the first game that he looked like the rookie trying to do it all offensively, while Rielly looked like the vet who knew when to pick his spots, but he's gotten much better now.)
5. Gunnarson (guy's been a step behind Phaneuf and shouldn't be on that first pairing, really hope he improves as he use to be one of our most steady D-men.)
6. Ranger (ugh, I hope he gets it together and that he's practicing his first pass/clear attempts)

I'd have Fraser at #3 or #4 (ahead of Gardiner, pretty similar to Rielly)

Edit: Obviously an upgrade would be helpful... the two spots we need upgrades the most have been glaring in these first four games IMO (Bozak's looked bad offensively and our defense has been pretty shaky)

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:00 AM
sokocanuck

We need a true shutdown #2 d STAT. I'm not sure if there is one available, but I'd be fine sending our 1st for one that's an impending UFA. I can't stress enough how much better we'd be with one on our top pairing with Phaneuf.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:02 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

It'll be a good day when Gunnarsson won't be on the top pairing by default. Too bad we can't fast forward to when Rielly and Percy are ready to take that kind of step.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:03 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
We need a true shutdown #2 d STAT. I'm not sure if there is one available, but I'd be fine sending our 1st for one that's an impending UFA. I can't stress enough how much better we'd be with one on our top pairing with Phaneuf.
This is definitely our biggest need outside of a true #1C.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Animal

paul ranger has a full NO-MOVEMENT CLAUSE so he's not going anywhere, not even the marlies

Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BayStreetBullies*

Quote:
4 years and counting...
I thought it best just to keep the discussion limited to this season so far. But yeah, 4 years and counting is also true.

BayStreetBullies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:07 AM
sokocanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
This is definitely our biggest need outside of a true #1C.
I'm honestly over the whole #1 center thing. As long as we have a healthy third line (Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin) if feel they can handle the defensive responsibilities.
Our forwards offer so much offensive potential, we don't necessarily need a 70pt #1c.

If we had a proper defensive line up, it would go further ATM. I'd like to target guys like Orpik, Girardi and Klesla.

Also, did you guys know Emelin was 27? I though he was a young guy for the habs...

Old
10-09-2013, 08:19 AM
drewski1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBullies View Post
I wouldn't say wide margin. He's been our best, but Franson has been great as well.