HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Is Steve Yzerman a good GM?

Old
02-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Bolto
?

vCash: 500
Is Steve Yzerman a good GM?

He looked really good last year with the moves to bring in Roley and Brewer mid season to boost us into the playoffs.

However, what did he screw up last off season. We signed Stamkos which was a absolute must but we let Bergenheim and Gagne go which were probably not bad moves on their own but then we didn't get any quality replacements. I don't count the goalie moves against him because I think Roley deserved a one year deal after his performance last year and signing Garon was a good move. But, the defense was not improved and overall the offense has also declined.

I don't see that any moves were made to improve the team in the short or long term.

I'm hoping he'll do better.

Last edited by Bolto: 02-15-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Bolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:23 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolto View Post
He looked really good last year with the moves to bring in Roley and Brewer mid season to boost us into the playoffs.

However, what did he screw up last off season. We signed Stamkos which was a absolute must but we let Bergeron and Gagne go which were probably not bad moves on their own but then we didn't get any quality replacements. I don't count the goalie moves against him because I think Roley deserved a one year deal after his performance last year and signing Garon was a good move. But, the defense was not improved and overall the offense has also declined.

I don't see that any moves were made to improve the team in the short or long term.

I'm hoping he'll do better.
Bergeron still plays for the Lightning. SFY is a young GM. Last year was a high no doubt, this year is a low. Given enough time, the highs will be a touch higher and outweigh the lows. All I know is that I don't doubt the man or the organization at this point. I can't remember the last time I could really say that about the Lightning.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Neither Bergenheim or Gagne were really worth a great deal until the playoffs, so no great loss there. Especially not with what Begie is being paid.

Some of our depth forwards have really regressed from last season. Moore's numbers are way down, as are Downie's. I wasn't predicting much from Pyatt, but he is impressive in other ways. Shannon has not shown me anything much. Malone has been injured a lot and Purcell has been underpreforming. I'm pretty sure the only forwards that have improved from last season are Stamkos and Vinny. Marty is Marty.

Goalie is another scenario. You had to re-sign Roli. Just had to. Garon is a decent backup, but he's getting a lot of flack because he's been shoved into the starter role and he's not suited for it. Really can't expect much better from him. Maybe a mid-season replacement was called for, but I still think that any goalie behind that D is going to look bad.

As far as D goes, we took a big hit with Ohlund. Who really could have predicted he would miss the entire season? And Brewer seems to have regressed quite a bit from last season.

The one thing I really put on Yzerman's shoulders that he messed up on is not getting a special teams coach in here. I understand that Boucher handled the PP last year, but I think not having a replacement for Fleming has hurt. If the PP had been halfway decent this year, it's a much better team and probably legitimately in the playoff race as a low seed.

Short term, we're much worse. Long term, we are much better. Norfolk is doing well and the kids are developing nicely. Pretty soon (within the next season or two) we're actually going to be able to fill some holes from the farm system. Been awhile since we could say that. And that's because Yzerman didn't panic and trade off good prospects for what would have probably been a short playoff season.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Steve Yzerman is a good GM.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Steve Yzerman is a good GM.
SFYes.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:45 AM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

We'll see. Last year was partially built on the success of the team he inherited. This year is "his team" and I've yet to be blown away.

To be fair, no one could have expected the goalies to be this bad.

But someone should be pulling at their collar worried for their job.

Is Boucher a good coach?

Sometimes the coach needs to be intense.

Last edited by dbieon12: 02-15-2012 at 11:50 AM.
dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:02 PM
LGB 26

Guy's pretty intense, TBT said he unloaded on the team after the Pens game.

LGB 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:11 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 0
Only time will tell.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:36 PM
IdealisticSniper

Too soon to tell. The team is still not "his". He is dealing with contracts and players already in place. A lot of those will be purged this offseason.

I think this offseason will tell us all a LOT about Yzerman as a GM.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Hockeyfan02

The next six months are big for Yzerman..he needs to get pieces for the future at the deadline, he's going to have a good number of picks at the draft with one pick likely in the top 10, he needs to retool the defense, and he needs to get a goalie. This is an important offseason for him and it'll show just how good/bad of a GM he is.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:22 AM
killcrypt

Too early to say. Let's see what moves he makes at the trade deadline.

killcrypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:00 AM
warlord6

Have to agree with some of the comments above. On the "Yzerman track record" right now, you have an extreme positive spike followed by a low dip. Hopefully, it will start to even out on the positive side.

I think that a good leader knows when to cut their loses. Let's see what he does at the trade deadline. I'm ok with bringing back picks/prospects. Perhaps that by doing so, Yzerman can get a jump start on the overall plan.

I understand that he aims to make us a perennial contender, and I am fine with that. However, our fickle fan base may not have the patience for it. Short term pain for long term success.

warlord6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord6 View Post
Have to agree with some of the comments above. On the "Yzerman track record" right now, you have an extreme positive spike followed by a low dip. Hopefully, it will start to even out on the positive side.

I think that a good leader knows when to cut their loses. Let's see what he does at the trade deadline. I'm ok with bringing back picks/prospects. Perhaps that by doing so, Yzerman can get a jump start on the overall plan.

I understand that he aims to make us a perennial contender, and I am fine with that. However, our fickle fan base may not have the patience for it. Short term pain for long term success.
The low dip wasn't really SFY's 'fault' per say. It did happen during his tenure, but it's not like he made a bad deal and everything went to ****.

Roloson deserved another year, and it's been our struggles in goal, more than any other department, that gotten us to where we are today.

I don't want to see this team tank for a high pick. That's what I don't want to see. I want to see these guys scrap for a playoff spot right up until the final buzzer. That doesn't mean that SFY should go out and try to trade for rentals, quite the opposite. We largely have a team that can win and these guys should know that.

SFY got all these new scouts to find guys who aren't the consensus #1 pick. He has to have some level of faith in them to find them, and so will I until they show their hand.

Picking first is easy, and the easy way isn't the way you win the cup non-stop for more than a century.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

He turned this team around last year in free agency and trades. Last offseason he couldn't really do too much because he was trying to get Stamkos and Hedmans contract handled. He will have a chance this offseason to rebound.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:31 PM
WolfHound

Looks like the Lightning are in it for the long run. Trade some players and acquire draft picks. This team lacks offensive depth and defensive depth. Also goaltending has been bad. So rebuild through draft and trades.

WolfHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:48 PM
EbencoyE

Re-signing Brewer was an awful move. Guy only plays well in contract years.

Not a fan of dumping all our talent for draft picks that might not amount to anything either. I'd be excited if I was a Norfolk fan maybe, but I'm not.

Maybe I'm biased because I hate anything and anyone related to the Red Wings, but I'm not a fan of Yzerman yet.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Kubina and Moore deals had looked good.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

I think he's done a pretty damn good job so far. Look what he turned us into last year when nobody expected us to be that good. Last offseason he had to take care of the future making sure Stamkos and Hedman were signed long term. Now he's back to what he originally thought in that it could take some time. He just didn't realize how close we were last year. Things haven't changed that much from when he took over. We still have a need at defense and goalie. He now has some ammunition to get those and some picks for the future. I'm happy we have a GM who knows what he's doing in SFY.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote