HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if the Hawks offer sheet Schneider?

Old
02-15-2012, 10:46 AM
xX Hot Fuss

vCash: 500
What if the Hawks offer sheet Schneider?

Moderately friendly Hawks fan here.

Just saw it suggested that the Hawks should offer sheet Corey for $4.5 mil. Obviously my team is going through a wee bit of a winning problem as of late and goaltending/defense has been an issue.

How much is Schneider worth to you guys?

*purely speculatory. I'm sure bowman doesn't even do this

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

Due to the rivalry we would match and move pieces to either make it work or bring in a great player by trading Schneider.

Anzes Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 10:50 AM
NYVanfan

he will be moved or re-signed to a one year deal before July 1st, so I dont see this as an option.

however, hypothetically speaking, if the deal is long term for that much, the Canucks would have to take the 1st and 3rd and not be too upset, I imagine. Alternatively, as suggested above, they would do what is needed to match, then trade him later. You have to wait a year, right?

It does make sense that they'd do whatever they could to keep him out of Chicago, on second thought

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Hammer79

Last edited by Hammer79: 02-22-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:00 AM
xX Hot Fuss

How much do you think Gillis would pay Schneider to stay in Van?

Old
02-15-2012, 11:08 AM
vanwest

There's zero chance that Gillis doesn't match any offer sheet that the Hawks can come up with. He won't let Schneider go to the Hawks.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
arsmaster

Honestly, I think the monetary figure Schneider will likely get is between 3-4 million.

I dont think he has proven near enough to fetch anymore.

I love Schneids', and feel he is a star in the making, but teams willing to give him 4-5 right off the hop are just making a bad move.

Could it pay off? Sure it could.

I believe Gillis would like to get Schneider signed to a multi year extension for 3 yrs 7.5-9 million.

That contract would make his trade value go up considerably as well.

I dont even think it gets to offersheet territory, but many of us still aren't sure whether he is arbitration eligible (ie. not eligible for an offersheet like Parise and Weber last year).

From the things I've read he is arbitration eligible and WILL NOT be susceptible to an offersheet.

I also believe he would never ever get to an arbitration hearing, former agent Mike Gillis, knows how players feel about this process...either they sign him to an extension or move him.

The wildcard here is this years playoffs...if Luongo falters, the team may look to move him instead. Talk about a busy couple of months for the Canucks brass.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
billvanseattle

sorry, schneideer is going to be a great goalie, but there is no way he is getting $5M / yr on his first real contract.

$4.5 M is even high.

I suspect a 2 yr $3.5 - 3.75M per will get her done for now.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

I'm probably being very naive here but I wonder if out of some sort of loyalty Schneider simply wouldn't sign an offer sheet with Chicago?

Naaaa... I'm being naive. Schneider gets a chance at his first starter job and would most likely put them back into contender mode. It's all business.

Back stabber!

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

questions:

i seem to remember that if you match an offer sheet, you can't trade the player for one season. or was that if you take the player to arbitration (or both)?

also, have we already used our arbitration on schneider, or can we lock him up before free agency starts by filing for arbitration and then hopefully signing him to a one-year deal without having to go through the process/making him untradable?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
xX Hot Fuss

If Schneider did go to the Hawks via offer sheet for 4.5 mill does Gillies get his head put on a pike?

I can't imagine that sitting well with Nucks fans

Old
02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
questions:

i seem to remember that if you match an offer sheet, you can't trade the player for one season. or was that if you take the player to arbitration (or both)?
I think it's both.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
If Schneider did go to the Hawks via offer sheet for 4.5 mill does Gillies get his head put on a pike?
What does Clark have to do with this?

Old
02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Horse
Go Canucks!

Gillis is smart, he'll do something with him before offer sheet point

Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:28 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
questions:

also, have we already used our arbitration on schneider, or can we lock him up before free agency starts by filing for arbitration and then hopefully signing him to a one-year deal without having to go through the process/making him untradable?
Its not both.

You can trade a player you take to arb.

You cannot trade a player you match an offersheet on.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Personally, I think it's almost guaranteed that Schneider will be traded at the draft (when no one can offer sheet him) unless Luongo really poops the bed in the playoffs, enticing the Canucks to move him and keep Schneider.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:51 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
If someone offers Schneider a 1 year, $4.7M offer sheet the Canucks can't match. That'd be putting $10M towards goalies, we couldn't trade Schneider, and upon expiration he becomes a UFA. We absolutely have to trade him.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:55 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
There's zero chance that Gillis doesn't match any offer sheet that the Hawks can come up with. He won't let Schneider go to the Hawks.
Actually....this is not at all true. The only scenario I can see the Canucks matching on a one year deal (leading to UFA the next year), is if the offer sheet is very low (allowing them to keep both for one year then lose him for nothing the following). If the offer is high they can't and won't match.

If they match an offer sheet Schneider cannot be traded in that year. I don't know how many times this needs to be explained to people.

He will be traded before July 1. Period. (unless Lou asks for a trade first).

ginner classic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Kagee*

It's pointless Columbus will match it easily, if they haven't re-signed him already.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:37 PM
StrictlyCommercial

If he's not traded by July he will be taken to arbitration, easy as that

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:38 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Moderately friendly Hawks fan here.

Just saw it suggested that the Hawks should offer sheet Corey for $4.5 mil. Obviously my team is going through a wee bit of a winning problem as of late and goaltending/defense has been an issue.

How much is Schneider worth to you guys?

*purely speculatory. I'm sure bowman doesn't even do this
Schneider still has to sign it.

He will get his money anyway so he might just tell you moderately friendly Blackock fans to go ***** a kite.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:40 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I dont even think it gets to offersheet territory, but many of us still aren't sure whether he is arbitration eligible (ie. not eligible for an offersheet like Parise and Weber last year).

From the things I've read he is arbitration eligible and WILL NOT be susceptible to an offersheet.
He is eligible for an offer sheet for a short period. Players making under $1.5 million can't be taken to arbitration until July 5th, so there's a 5 day window where he could sign an offer sheet. Players making over $1.5 million can be taken to arbitration in lieu of a qualifying offer in late June, and can be completely protected from offer sheets because of that (that's what happened with Parise and Weber).

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:40 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:

I can't imagine that sitting well with Nucks fans
I bet the Oilers will beat the kawks to an offer sheet.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:50 PM
galiano

At what date are teams allowed to make offer sheets to players like Schneider. Geez a first and a third for him would be drastic underpayment.

So if Gillis is going to move him, what are the dates post season when it could be done ? After the cup final and before the draft ? Or is it not until after the draft?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but this whole thing with Schneider is new territory for this team. I believe there will be a whole lot of interest for him and the result of this trade could effect the Canucks for a number of years into the future. So let's hope Gillis gets it right.

( I would far rather he move Luongo )

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:06 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
At what date are teams allowed to make offer sheets to players like Schneider. Geez a first and a third for him would be drastic underpayment.

So if Gillis is going to move him, what are the dates post season when it could be done ? After the cup final and before the draft ? Or is it not until after the draft?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but this whole thing with Schneider is new territory for this team. I believe there will be a whole lot of interest for him and the result of this trade could effect the Canucks for a number of years into the future. So let's hope Gillis gets it right.

( I would far rather he move Luongo )
Starting on the Tuesday after the draft (June 25th this year) Schneider's agent can talk to teams and start negotiating offer sheets. Nothing can be signed until July 1st though. Then on July 5th, if he still hasn't signed an offer sheet the Canucks can protect him by electing for arbitration.

Gillis can move him whenever he wants, but I think people should temper their expectations about the return. He's 1 year from UFA status and will be susceptible to offer sheets. Any team trading for him would fully understand those things and that will probably hurt his value. Give that, I don't see a 1st and a 3rd as being a huge underpayment.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote