HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if the Hawks offer sheet Schneider?

Old
02-15-2012, 06:09 PM
xX Hot Fuss

vCash: 500
Before i go "**** a kite", as Goldrunner suggested, does anyone know the Penalties (if any) if the Hawks do offersheet Schneider and he refuses to sign it?

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Before i go "**** a kite", as Goldrunner suggested, does anyone know the Penalties (if any) if the Hawks do offersheet Schneider and he refuses to sign it?
Penalties for what?

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
gurfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruutu37 View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think Schneider's value is at its highest right now.

At the end of the season, the ceiling on the return is essentially a 1st and a 3rd round pick (offer sheet compensation). Why would a team offer something greater on June 25th when the compensation after that is a 1st and a 3rd?

If the Canucks want a roster player, they should trade him now. Of course this doesn't factor his value during a playoff run, only the value coming back in a trade.
Disagree, either Schneider is dealt before Jul 1st, or he gets taken to arbritration.

Gillis is too smart to leave himself open to an offersheet.

gurfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:39 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurfling View Post
Disagree, either Schneider is dealt before Jul 1st, or he gets taken to arbritration.

Gillis is too smart to leave himself open to an offersheet.
Because of his salary, Schneider can't be protected from offer sheets through team elected arbitration until July 5th, meaning he'll have 5 days to talk to teams (from June 26th-June 30th) and another 5 days to potentially sign an offer shet (July 1st-July 5th).

Only players making more than $1.5 million in the previous season can be taken to arbitration in lieu of a qualifying offer, which protects them from offer sheets prior to July 1st.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:41 PM
AlexandreBurrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Personally, I think it's almost guaranteed that Schneider will be traded at the draft (when no one can offer sheet him) unless Luongo really poops the bed in the playoffs, enticing the Canucks to move him and keep Schneider.
maybe we can move up in the draft and get a player. It'd be nice to have a number 7 draFT PICK COMING UP IN THE RANKS

AlexandreBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:44 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
he will be moved or re-signed to a one year deal before July 1st, so I dont see this as an option.
This. Gillis isn't careless with his assets. Especially not with one of his most valuable ones. I'm certain that he is well aware of the offer-sheet situation, and has contingencies in place to avoid that scenario.

I think (pending what transpires in the playoffs this year with Luongo), odds are good that Schneider is moved at the draft table for a significant package. And it won't be to Chicago.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:45 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
I don't think any would apply to either the team or the player should he refuse to sign an offer sheet.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:50 PM
AlexandreBurrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
Oh man, the idea of Chicago having Schneider gives me chills. But in all honesty, if it's a 1st and a 3rd, they'd probably not match. Too much is spent on Luongo as it is.

Anything under that, I think they'd rather keep him than let him go to such a fierce rival.
A first and a third for a ready to step into number one goalie, fully developed over 6 years? And the 1st would be at the 15-22 range. That would suck. You would get NO return for 4 years, and its hit or miss. We need someone who can make an impact now or a young good guy ready to hit big just like schneids.

AlexandreBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
An offer sheet is just that - an offer. Schneider is under no obligation to sign anything.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:53 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Pipe dream by Hawk fans if they think he even gets to RFA status without a contract

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Jarko2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
he will be moved or re-signed to a one year deal before July 1st, so I dont see this as an option.

however, hypothetically speaking, if the deal is long term for that much, the Canucks would have to take the 1st and 3rd and not be too upset, I imagine. Alternatively, as suggested above, they would do what is needed to match, then trade him later. You have to wait a year, right?

It does make sense that they'd do whatever they could to keep him out of Chicago, on second thought
So they can sign him to a 1 year deal at $1 mill and promise him he'll be the #1 goalie (and the goalie of the future) and Vancouver gets nothing?
Risky for Schneider but if can pick your destination, probably worth it.

Jarko2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Blob Mckenzie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post
So they can sign him to a 1 year deal at $1 mill and promise him he'll be the #1 goalie (and the goalie of the future) and Vancouver gets nothing?

Me thinks the Canucks would match that offer.

Blob Mckenzie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:56 PM
FiveAndGame

I think Gillis would **** slap Bowman personally if that were to happen.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:31 PM
timw33

Apply for arbitration, protect him from offer sheets, figure out a deal before the arbitration date in August.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:37 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Apply for arbitration, protect him from offer sheets, figure out a deal before the arbitration date in August.
He can't be protected like Weber and Parise. There's a window (albeit a fairly short one) where he can still sign an offer sheet even if the team elects for arbitration.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:40 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
He can't be protected like Weber and Parise. There's a window (albeit a fairly short one) where he can still sign an offer sheet even if the team elects for arbitration.
Ah. That would suck. We could re-sign him before the offseason though...

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:40 PM
The Big Foot

Schneider for Kane? We'll throw in Raymond.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Hal 9000*

If Chicago has a chance to sign Schneider, then Gillis has screwed up royally.

The best thing right now would be to package Schneider in one of these big deals that have been rumoured, otherwise he solitary value will decrease to nothing by summer.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:45 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Schneider for Kane? We'll throw in Raymond.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Worst nightmare.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:55 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Ah. That would suck. We could re-sign him before the offseason though...
I think the worry is less that the Canucks get screwed by an offer sheet (Gillis likely won't let it get to that), and more that the potential of an offer sheet could really hurt his market value.

With regards to Schneider's situation in general, no matter how much loyalty or class Schneider may have, he has his own career to think of. He's a UFA in a year and can potentially control where he goes through an offer sheet. It'd be nice if he'd agree to a cheap extension with the promise that the Canucks would trade him (or trade Luongo if it comes to that), but I can't see how that's in his best interest. If he gets traded into a bad situation and gets stuck putting up crap numbers on a bad team, that's going to impact his future earnings. It's one thing if you're an RFA with 3 or 4 years before you can choose your destination, but Schneider will be only a year away from that come July 1st. Given all that, he has a fair bit of control and I think its naive to think that he won't exercise any of it if the situation isn't to his liking.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:05 PM
theripper

Quote:
Moderately friendly Hawks fan here.

Just saw it suggested that the Hawks should offer sheet Corey for $4.5 mil. Obviously my team is going through a wee bit of a winning problem as of late and goaltending/defense has been an issue.

How much is Schneider worth to you guys?

*purely speculatory. I'm sure bowman doesn't even do this
you can have him. we will then eliminate you in 4 when he decides to give us free goals by passing it to us from behind the net, or he will "cramp" up andpull himself after giving up a few goals.

theripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:37 PM
ginner classic

This is the worst thread I have ever read

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 10:22 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post
Canucks would take the $1m deal end of story. We'd probably lose Schneider a year later, but at $1m there's compensation. Meanwhile the team that made that would not have a goaltender. Imagine if Lou go injured longterm we'd get to be the ones making the long term offer to Schneider and locking him up long term. Any team that really wants him will have to make a deal.

I doubt Schneider would sign that deal, he get a far more money elsewhere.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 10:38 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I think the worry is less that the Canucks get screwed by an offer sheet (Gillis likely won't let it get to that), and more that the potential of an offer sheet could really hurt his market value.
I think it drives his value up. Teams are not only competing against each other there are competing against the threat of an offer sheet on July 1. Even if there is only one bidder before july 1, that bidder has to be nervous.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote