HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

HF new top 50 prospects?

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Hunter Gathers
Good God . . . WHY?

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Hasn't done a whole lot to earn it IMO.
Exactly. Being one of the most inconsistent college defenseman and a decent playoff AHL run mean nothing to me.

Old
10-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Holly Gunning

As always, fans of a team tend to forget that there are 30 teams in the league. With a list of only 50 prospects, on average every team will have 1.67 players on the list. So what this means is that you even have two players, you're doing better than most. Keep this simple fact in mind.

Old
10-29-2004, 11:11 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
As always, fans of a team tend to forget that there are 30 teams in the league. With a list of only 50 prospects, on average every team will have 1.67 players on the list. So what this means is that you even have two players, you're doing better than most. Keep this simple fact in mind.
Exactly. Everyone is like, well, this guy and that guy should be there, and an outside chance of tis other guy and maybe this guy. By the time it is all said and done, people seem to want about 80 prospects to appear on a 50 prospect list. Some prospects that might be VERY deserving of a top 50 list are just not ging to make it because for every player YOU (you=everyone) think belongs on the list, there are about 100 other people who think someone else belongs on there. Tough choices will be made and some are just going to miss the list, even those who were on the list last year (because, once you factor in about 10 new prospects from the draft and maybe a couple who just missed the list last year and moved up, that will be about 10-15 who are going to move off the list). If you think that a certain prospect has developed well and has "given no reason why he should move down", keep in mind that EVERY OTHER team has a player or two that can make the exact same claim.

If a single team has two prospects on the list, they should be ecstatic. If they have three, they should be going freakin' bonkers! Anyone who is suggesting 4 or 5 prospects from a single team needs to get back in touch with reality (with the except of maybe Washington).

10-29-2004, 11:19 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

As a Jackets fan, I'm sure Zherdev will be on the list (maybe at #1?) since he still officially qualifies as a prospect, even if it is only by a few games. Leclaire could very well be near the bottom of it again (though it wouldn't shock me if he fell off). I'm hoping maybe Picard can squeeze his way on.

Old
10-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Suter, Shishkanov and Radulov for the Preds please

but that's just me

Old
10-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Suter, Shishkanov and Radulov for the Preds please

but that's just me
I'd rather see Weber on there than Shish or Radulov.

But that just me.

10-29-2004, 12:10 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
As a Jackets fan, I'm sure Zherdev will be on the list (maybe at #1?) .
Ovechkin, Lehtonen, Zherdev, Phaneuf, MA Fluery is my top 5.

Old
10-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille
Exactly. Being one of the most inconsistent college defenseman and a decent playoff AHL run mean nothing to me.
But he was awsome in the AHL playoffs!!!!

Old
10-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
If a single team has two prospects on the list, they should be ecstatic. If they have three, they should be going freakin' bonkers! Anyone who is suggesting 4 or 5 prospects from a single team needs to get back in touch with reality (with the except of maybe Washington).
Thank you for that

Old
10-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Mizral

For the Canucks, any of King, Auld, or Kesler have a shot at being on the list.

Old
10-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
Ohh god... top 10 now probably.

"King's, last name... says it all, said Jay Thompson after Hockeys Future released their new Top 50 Prospect Ranking which shocked many. I had to convince all of my co-workers with vachon cakes, but I feel satisfied that the Canucks have the top prospect in the NHL."

Old
10-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau
"King's, last name... says it all, said Jay Thompson after Hockeys Future released their new Top 50 Prospect Ranking which shocked many. I had to convince all of my co-workers with vachon cakes, but I feel satisfied that the Canucks have the top prospect in the NHL."
:lol :lol

Old
10-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Theres a shocker

Old
10-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Pepper

Quote:
None of them should be in the top 30 IMHO.

Old
10-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Captain Conservative

Jason King is a good prospect, but he would barely crack my top 100 prospects, much less my top 50.

Old
10-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
None of them should be in the top 30 IMHO.
I'd agree.

King and Auld I'd say deserve to be on the list. Kesler is questionable. All are probobly in the 35 - 50 range if they make it.

Old
10-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative
Jason King is a good prospect, but he would barely crack my top 100 prospects, much less my top 50.
He doesn't get much respect, and I understand that. I have him ahead of Kesler (the Canucks organization does too), but many people prefer Kesler around here since he was a first round pick.

King currently leads the AHL in goals and points though, don't forget. He's having a heck of a start, and he seems to have taken the AHL very seriously. Coach Randy Carlyle said he was in 'elite' conditioning when he came into camp, and he has not yet shown a slowdown in play. Consistancy will be a key for King this year in the AHL though.

Old
10-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Chaos

Quote:
King currently leads the AHL in goals and points though, don't forget. He's having a heck of a start, and he seems to have taken the AHL very seriously. Coach Randy Carlyle said he was in 'elite' conditioning when he came into camp, and he has not yet shown a slowdown in play. Consistancy will be a key for King this year in the AHL though.
And by the same note, Jussi Jokinen is currently tied for the lead in goals in the SM-Liiga, is 5th in points(4 off the leader), and plays on his teams 3rd line....and he's 2 years younger than King. We could go all day with numbers.

Edit: Jokinen is actually 2nd in goals now, 3 behind the leader...forgot they played games between the last time I checked a few days ago

Last edited by Chaos: 10-29-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old
10-29-2004, 02:15 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

If one team gets more then 2 prospects on the top 50 list they should be very happy. To suggest 3 or 4, especially a team as thin as the Canucks is laughable.

The Flames are going to have one guy, Dion Phaneuf. Maybe two if Chuko slips into the 45-50 spot.

Old
10-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
If one team gets more then 2 prospects on the top 50 list they should be very happy. To suggest 3 or 4, especially a team as thin as the Canucks is laughable.

The Flames are going to have one guy, Dion Phaneuf. Maybe two if Chuko slips into the 45-50 spot.
Agreed...Washington probably has the best shot at having 3 or more guys on the list. Stars should have Eriksson right around wherever Steen is placed, but probably a few spots lower. He's 1 point behind Steen this year, while being younger, but he is also farther from the NHL.

Old
10-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
And by the same note, Jussi Jokinen is currently tied for the lead in goals in the SM-Liiga, is 5th in points(4 off the leader), and plays on his teams 3rd line....and he's 2 years younger than King. We could go all day with numbers.
And Jussi Jokinen is indeed a very good prospect who, for some reason, doesn't get enough respect, IMO.

But that doesn't have much to do with King. What's with the dismissing of King on this thread anyway? I don't understand. One guy says he has him barely in his top 100? I'd like to see that. King is firmly among the top 100 best prospects in the game, not barely.

Kesler is not bad either, although I like him a little less than King. I don't know if he would make my top 50 (The Pucks hasn't started his top 50 project so I haven't done a list yet) but probably not.

I strongly doubt Auld would make it but I like him as well.

It's not like Jay Thompson works alone on those lists, guys. There's a group of writers and unless they all have a crush on the Canucks, this bias you are perceiving is going to be minimal at best.

Old
10-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
And Jussi Jokinen is indeed a very good prospect who, for some reason, doesn't get enough respect, IMO.

But that doesn't have much to do with King. What's with the dismissing of King on this thread anyway? I don't understand. One guy says he has him barely in his top 100? I'd like to see that. King is firmly among the top 100 best prospects in the game, not barely.
The reason he doesnt get respect around here is the same reason guys like Miettinen and now Immonen dont get respect....they are late round, relatively older Finnish guys, who usually aren't flashy in any particular area. I was only mentioning him as a comparison to the accomplishments of King, and wasnt trying to dismiss King in any way. I'd agree that King deserves to be in the top 50, but probably not inside the top 35 or so.

Old
10-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
I'd say Ramholt would have a batter shot than Chucko IMO (Kris is too much of a wait and see at this point). I'd be estatic if either cracked the top 50.

Old
10-29-2004, 02:43 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

*shrugs* Thelen and Volo are outside shots but Volo has done some damage in the WJC I believe or one of those game and is still on a tear in the RSL...

Thelen I believe is similiar to Burns...

Old
10-29-2004, 02:54 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
I'd say Ramholt would have a batter shot than Chucko IMO (Kris is too much of a wait and see at this point). I'd be estatic if either cracked the top 50.
Well, I think Chucko has a bigger upside then Ramholt but I see your point. If either crack the top 50 it would be a pleasent suprise.

Especially a guy like Ramholt who gets zero hype. A very very underrated prospect.

Closed Thread