HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nash On The Block Part III: ALL NASH TALK & PROPOSALS HERE!

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2012, 09:13 PM
aemoreira1981

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashie14 View Post
Would anyone complain about Nash's contract if his cap hit were 6 million a year? 1.8 million, right now, is less than 3% of the cap. To anyone worried about his high cap hit meaning others on the team would ask for more, an agent's argument would hinge on actual salary, not cap, and Nash's actual salary isn't anything ridiculous when you look at other UFA examples, (Nash's contract was constructed entirely out of UFA years). Bryzgalov, Erhoff, Richards all make 10 million plus in actual salary, while a younger Nash won't make that much ever.
For a team like the Rangers, however, that would be 1/3d of the cap committed to just 4 players with RFAs needing raises.

An intriguing option could be the Florida Panthers. Could a package be built around Erik Gudbranson and draft picks and prospects? A question there might be if the Panthers give up Jacob Markstrom or not, which would be a tacit admission that extending Mason was a mistake.

Also, Nash would not have to pay income taxes for home games, and he would not be under a big-market microscope. The Panthers are also contenders for postseason play. The big issue there is: Is Jacob Markstrom untouchable, as Clemmensen is a UFA at season's end?

Old
02-15-2012, 09:13 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Add Hossa to that list. Essentially given away.
UFA rental. I would have mentioned him and Kovalchuk otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Mike Richards and Jeff Carter?
Those two as well.

Schenn/Simmonds/2nd and 8th overall/Voracek/3rd are hardly crippling packages. Compared to offers such as McDonagh/Dubinsky/Kreider/1st and other outlandish packages.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
02-15-2012, 09:14 PM
JackJ

Re: the Schenn rumours earlier. Tonights pairings: Aulie-Phaneuf. Liles-Franson. Gardiner-Komisarek.

As expected.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:15 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
True.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Servant View Post
I'm more of an idea guy.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:17 PM
seanlinden

Quote:

Those two as well.

Schenn/Simmonds/2nd and 8th overall/Voracek/3rd are hardly crippling packages. Compared to offers such as McDonagh/Dubinsky/Kreider/1st and other outlandish packages.
Trade deadline.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:20 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
To all TOR fans. We dont want Grabovski, we dont want Aulie, we dont want MacArthur, we dont want 2/3rd line tweeners. Give us 2 - 3 of Schenn Gardiner Gunnarsson.
That definitely won't happen

Need a happy medium, and to find a reasonable price we need to look at previous deals

Richards - Schenn + Simmonds
Carter - 1st + Voracek
Kovalchuck - 1st + Oduya + Bergfors + Cormier

IMO expect 1st + Kulemin + Schenn + Kadri/Colborne/Percy/Biggs

1st
young 2nd line W
young top 4 D
top prospect

Old
02-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
No complaints about the contract because of his level of play when he signed and who he was playing for. My complaint is about the return that everyone is expecting.

Take Richards for example, team leader, decent offensively and a beast defensively. He was dealt for a top prospect and a solid 3rd liner.

Nash, who IMO is worth more, should return more than that, however, don't expect a group of young budding all-stars.
The underpinnings of Richard's deal were significantly different. Ownership demanded that the Flyer's break the bank to solidify goaltending. At the same time, there was allegedly somewhat of a rift in the locker room as a result of Pronger v. Richards. Someone had to be dealt (that summer) and that person was Richards and his buddy Carter.

There is no time constraint on dealing Nash. If the right offer doesn't come along, Howson has the luxury of sitting and waiting to make the move. Yes, Nash has the power to control the teams, but Howson ultimately determines whether he stays or goes. It's not a volatile situation. Not too mention, as you said, Nash is worth more than Richards.

Now I don't think most of us are looking for a boatload of young talent. In fact, one of our favorite offers is JJ + Bernier. Whether or not it includes a pick is not substantial to me. We're just looking to gain a sense of balance throughout our lineup, which severely lacks on the back end (and to which we'll be adding an elite winger, unless we continue this seasons theme and LOSE the lottery).

I personally see a lack of depth in the roster. Depth that could be cured with a trade with Toronto. Others though would prefer 2 high quality pieces instead of the 4 pretty good assets we'd ask for from Toronto. I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong, I'm just saying I can see why people say Toronto doesn't have the pieces (that they are looking for).

Old
02-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Evil Edler
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
September 12th, 2009

SJ
LW Dany Heatley

2010 5th Round Pick

OT
LW Milan Michalek

RW Jonathan Cheechoo

2010 2nd Round Pick

Similar circumstances no? At the time though Heatly was valued higher than Nash no?

Old
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Edit: Whoops wrong thread. Embarrassing...

Old
Avs44

vCash: 3319
What part of "All Nash Proposals in this thread" was so tough to comprehend? Was this really worthy of it's own thread?

Old
02-15-2012, 09:23 PM
le_sean

Quote:
September 12th, 2009

SJ
LW Dany Heatley

2010 5th Round Pick

OT
LW Milan Michalek

RW Jonathan Cheechoo

2010 2nd Round Pick

Similar circumstances no? At the time though Heatly was valued higher than Nash no?
Heatley publicly asked for a trade. I don't think Nash ever said he wanted out.

Old
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Trade deadline.
What about it?

Quote:
September 12th, 2009

SJ
LW Dany Heatley

2010 5th Round Pick

OT
LW Milan Michalek

RW Jonathan Cheechoo

2010 2nd Round Pick

Heatley was demanding a trade, yet being very picky about his destination.

Nash isn't really demanding anything. The Blue Jackets are just surveying their options.

Old
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Compared to offers such as McDonagh/Dubinsky/Kreider/1st and other outlandish packages.
I can't imagine you've seen much of that in this thread. With the exception of Brooks speculation and that one guy who confused everyone by mixing his ideas with the TSN speculation, I think most CBJ fans would have been asking for McDonagh + 1st. I don't think that's outlandish, though I can understand why you'd pass on it.

Personally, I like your idea of a deal around Staal in the summer.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
The underpinnings of Richard's deal were significantly different. Ownership demanded that the Flyer's break the bank to solidify goaltending. At the same time, there was allegedly somewhat of a rift in the locker room as a result of Pronger v. Richards. Someone had to be dealt (that summer) and that person was Richards and his buddy Carter.

There is no time constraint on dealing Nash. If the right offer doesn't come along, Howson has the luxury of sitting and waiting to make the move. Yes, Nash has the power to control the teams, but Howson ultimately determines whether he stays or goes. It's not a volatile situation. Not too mention, as you said, Nash is worth more than Richards.

Now I don't think most of us are looking for a boatload of young talent. In fact, one of our favorite offers is JJ + Bernier. Whether or not it includes a pick is not substantial to me. We're just looking to gain a sense of balance throughout our lineup, which severely lacks on the back end (and to which we'll be adding an elite winger, unless we continue this seasons theme and LOSE the lottery).

I personally see a lack of depth in the roster. Depth that could be cured with a trade with Toronto. Others though would prefer 2 high quality pieces instead of the 4 pretty good assets we'd ask for from Toronto. I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong, I'm just saying I can see why people say Toronto doesn't have the pieces (that they are looking for).
Mark me down for the two solid assets. Those "depth" deals are the ones that turn out 2-3 years down the road and people wonder why that ever happened. It has to be 2 roster players I think with potential for Nash. JJ and Bernier fit the bill.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:24 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
That definitely won't happen

Need a happy medium, and to find a reasonable price we need to look at previous deals

Richards - Schenn + Simmonds + 2nd
Carter - 1st + Voracek + 3rd
Kovalchuck - 1st + Oduya + Bergfors + Cormier

IMO expect 1st + Kulemin + Schenn + Kadri/Colborne/Percy/Biggs

1st
young 2nd line W
young top 4 D
top prospect
edited some trades for you because they were "significant" draft picks
those first two also don't consider that there were extenuating circumstances for the players being moved (most notably space for a premier goalie); the 3rd was a pending FA (correct?).

and this proposal in the op is the same thing that makes many leafs fans look bad

Old
02-15-2012, 09:25 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
What about it?
Lots of teams desperate to make a splash without alternative options. Players are valued disproportionately higher at the deadline in relation to youth and picks.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:25 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:

True, but you have to assume that a struggling franchise like CBJ would not deal their face of the franchise without an underlying reason. Whether that be ownership wanting a new direction or Nash wanting out there has to be a reason that he is suddenly available after being considered untouchable for so long. In this case, his value would be lowered a bit.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:27 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
edited some trades for you because they were "significant" draft picks
those first two also don't consider that there were extenuating circumstances for the players being moved (most notably space for a premier goalie); the 3rd was a pending FA.

and this proposal in the op is the same thing that makes many leafs fans look bad
Sorry trying to do them off the top of my head

And there is always extenuating circumstances, you can even go back to Heatley who asked out. But in this case you have to assume that there is one. Does it not seem odd that the face of the franchise of a struggling franchise is suddenly on the market? IMO either ownership wants a new direction or Nash asked out.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:27 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
I can't imagine you've seen much of that in this thread. With the exception of Brooks speculation and that one guy who confused everyone by mixing his ideas with the TSN speculation, I think most CBJ fans would have been asking for McDonagh + 1st. I don't think that's outlandish, though I can understand why you'd pass on it.

Personally, I like your idea of a deal around Staal in the summer.
Just a random example of an outlandish "return". Not really anything I've seen aside from once or twice, but it was intentional hyperbole.

I'd make the Staal trade, while hesitant. It could help both teams tremendously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Lots of teams desperate to make a splash without alternative options. Players are valued disproportionately higher at the deadline in relation to youth and picks.
Could have said that.

I agree, but, on the same token, it's harder to make cap clearing moves when there is a deadline approaching there is less of a bidding war and/or cold war.

I think CBJ could get a great amount for Nash in the offseason.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:31 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Could have said that.

I agree, but, on the same token, it's harder to make cap clearing moves when there is a deadline approaching — there is less of a bidding war and/or cold war.

I think CBJ could get a great amount for Nash in the offseason.
Actually... it's not that difficult. When the deadline is approaching, everyone has more cap space than they would have at the beginning of the year. Teams don't need to clear the full $7.8m right away, and if they do need to move a few $3-4m players on expiring contracts, there's lots of teams happy to take them and give up a pick to do so.

If the Jackets are going to move Nash, now is probably the time. Get a 1st round pick this year, as well as a really good package of young players, when teams don't need to gut as much of their roster to add Nash immediately.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Chris G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
What part of "All Nash Proposals in this thread" was so tough to comprehend? Was this really worthy of it's own thread?
Leaf fans...their special

Old
02-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
True, but you have to assume that a struggling franchise like CBJ would not deal their face of the franchise without an underlying reason. Whether that be ownership wanting a new direction or Nash wanting out there has to be a reason that he is suddenly available after being considered untouchable for so long. In this case, his value would be lowered a bit.
To me the underlying reason is obvious. We've played 4 playoff games in the history of the franchise and were obviously swept. This summer we went out and signed a 'marquee' free agent defenseman while dealing two young talents for our #1 center. The result was one of the worst seasons an NHL club has ever seen. No matter what we do, we can't win.

There are no real conceivable ways of re-vamping the roster. After such an awful year, pieces like Vermette and Umberger hold very little value and could be legitimized as cap dumps. Carter, who has underperformed, looks like he'll be lucky to return what we got for him - not to mention he is almost certainly asking to be traded out. So what options do we really have? We're picking up Yakupov, who by many accounts could be as good as or better than Rick Nash. Does it make sense to carry two elite wingers on a team that has Fedor Tyutin as its #1 defenseman? The other option is to trade the #1 overall pick. The problem with that is Nash will be in his 30s before we can dream of competing for a Cup. Yakupov is going to be cheaper and he'll be able to grow with a rebuild.

Old
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
He is not going anywhere with those asking prices!!!
Dude....what is wrong with those asking prices?

Old
JackJ

Simple series of events as to why Nash wants out:
  • Promises were made by ownership
  • Nash signs
  • Blue Jackets acquire Carter
  • On pace to finish last overall
  • Ownership wants to rebuild again
  • Nash isn't interested in another rebuild
  • Nash wants out