HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Parenteau shelving contract talks until season's end

Old
02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
mabisles

vCash: 500
Parenteau shelving contract talks until season's end

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387894

mabisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:46 PM
JKP

PA doesn't want to talk contract until after season ends...

"He's made it very clear from the outset that he's highly motivated to stay with the New York Islanders," Walsh told TSN.ca via e-mail. "The Islanders gave him his first real opportunity to thrive in the NHL, he has a fantastic relationship with his teammates, the coaches, Garth Snow and the fans. Most importantly, P.A. sees the Islanders trending up and believes they will be a contending team for many years to come.

"With that being said, the Islanders are currently six points out of a playoff spot. Now is the time to play hockey, not to discuss or focus on contracts. When the season is over, I'm sure both parties will work diligently towards an agreement that will ensure a mutual long term commitment to one another."

So how does that change our thinking? Doesn't want to do an extension by the sounds of it. Want's to get to the offseason where there's more pressure on Garth to sign him before July 1, I suspect.

Thoughts?

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post

"He's made it very clear from the outset that he's highly motivated to stay with the New York Islanders," Walsh told TSN.ca via e-mail. "The Islanders gave him his first real opportunity to thrive in the NHL, he has a fantastic relationship with his teammates, the coaches, Garth Snow and the fans. Most importantly, P.A. sees the Islanders trending up and believes they will be a contending team for many years to come.

"With that being said, the Islanders are currently six points out of a playoff spot. Now is the time to play hockey, not to discuss or focus on contracts. When the season is over, I'm sure both parties will work diligently towards an agreement that will ensure a mutual long term commitment to one another."

So how does that change our thinking? Doesn't want to do an extension by the sounds of it. Want's to get to the offseason where there's more pressure on Garth to sign him before July 1, I suspect.

Thoughts?
See ya PA. Could be the next Jason Blake, could turn out to continue to perform well, but I don't think he's coming back now unless the Isles are the highest bidder. I can't say I blame him, but it'll be tough to replace his offensive production.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:56 PM
desmond

Gone in two weeks.

desmond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:57 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
See ya PA. Could be the next Jason Blake, could turn out to continue to perform well, but I don't think he's coming back now unless the Isles are the highest bidder. I can't say I blame him, but it'll be tough to replace his offensive production.
What makes you think that? The current core of players is really starting to resign here. We were the team that gave him a shot while others wouldn't. We are a team that will give him top 6 (and maybe top 3) minutes, and other teams won't.

If I were him, I would be looking at Jason Blake for the exact reason TO stay.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
It's not uncommon for a statement like this being released and then the player gets resigned shortly after.

Isles need to sign him though, they won't be able to replace his production in any way (trade, free agency or in house).

I used to say 3 years 3.25 million but his production has fallen from being bumped down so I'd go 4 years 15 million. Hell, even more then that. He's going to hit 70 points and is a big producer on the PP, which is top 10.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabisles View Post

Crap.
I think the isles made their best offer and Parenteau rejected it.

I expect Snow will shop him and if someone offers a good,nhl ready d-man and a pick ,Snow move him.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:03 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

It sounds like he wants max bang for buck. Going till seasons end means he might as well be a UFA which means he could walk. You have to move him then because you can't allow his value to go without return. Use him in a package for the defenseman we need.

If we can only get a pick, perhaps Montreal would bite for numerous reasons. They will likely have a 6-10 first. That's a good return in this draft. If we walk out of this lottery with the #5 and #8 we might be able to trade them for the #1, being Nail, being the best wing by far for Tavares as soon as next season.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
What makes you think that? The current core of players is really starting to resign here. We were the team that gave him a shot while others wouldn't. We are a team that will give him top 6 (and maybe top 3) minutes, and other teams won't.

If I were him, I would be looking at Jason Blake for the exact reason TO stay.
The current core were all RFA's and really didn't have a choice in the matter. PA likely sees $$. Like I said, I can't blame him. He was a career AHL'er until last year and may never have even seen consistent NHL ice time, let alone a 7 figure salary. This could be his only shot at a big pay-day.

Loyalty will come into play if the price is right.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:11 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It sounds like he wants max bang for buck. Going till seasons end means he might as well be a UFA which means he could walk. You have to move him then because you can't allow his value to go without return. Use him in a package for the defenseman we need.

If we can only get a pick, perhaps Montreal would bite for numerous reasons. They will likely have a 6-10 first. That's a good return in this draft. If we walk out of this lottery with the #5 and #8 we might be able to trade them for the #1, being Nail, being the best wing by far for Tavares as soon as next season.
I'd be surprised if Montreal gives up a first for a rental.Not when it's a lottery pick.
I would expect playoff teams to be in the running for Parenteau.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:13 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

I wouldn't make too much out of this. I hope he stays, that's for sure.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

I find this disconcerting. With all the reports about no contract talks happening and now this... pack your bags PA, your days are probably numbered on LI. Snow has to look into what he can get for him because you can't take the chance that he walks after the season.

It is professional sports, they are not playing for free. Paps has definitely earned a nice contract coming up and I can't fault him for wanting to maximize this chance to cash in. It could set him up for life and he has to take advantage of the opportunity.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Dammit. I really don't want to let him go too.

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond View Post
Gone in two weeks.
This.

We'll probably get a decent-almost ready for NHL/still in AHL prospect, and a 2nd round pick at best from a contender that wants to make a run.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:

Why would Montreal trade their first for Parenteau?

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Dammit. I really don't want to let him go too.
I bet you didn't think you would say that at the beginning of the year

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:32 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'd be surprised if Montreal gives up a first for a rental.Not when it's a lottery pick.
I would expect playoff teams to be in the running for Parenteau.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Why would Montreal trade their first for Parenteau?
I was hoping they are deluded that they have a chance at the playoffs. You are both right though, probably not.

Los Angeles might be a good suitor then. They need scoring forwards and have a plethora of young defensive talent. Maybe we could get Martinez or Greene? Greene is signed for two more years and is a big reliable defenseman.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Giuseppe Franco

I say keep him unless you can get a good return for him (e.g. more than a 2nd round pick). If the organization truly believes they're in the playoff race they should be buyers, not sellers at the deadline. I say hold onto him and send a message to the young kids that we're actually committed to winning for once.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Bexlyspeed

Well in a perfect world, they trade him, get someone useful. he goes into the playoffs has a good time and re-signs with us in the offseason

in the real world it looks like PA will be plying his trade elsewhere within 2 weeks time

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:37 PM
IslesNorway

If the Isles are still in the thick of the playoff race in two weeks it'll be very hard to trade him, contract talks or no. If they're out of it by then then this is as good as a trade request.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:38 PM
ziggy7716

What is wrong with everyone? His agent pretty much said PA wants to stay here. We are only 6pts out of a playoff spot and we are talking about trading him to a team below us for a Pick? Step off the ledge here fellas, PA isn't going anywhere at the deadline. Matter of fact, I bet he signs before the deadline. Ever hear of neogiating tatics?

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:39 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
What is wrong with everyone? His agent pretty much said PA wants to stay here. We are only 6pts out of a playoff spot and we are talking about trading him to a team below us for a Pick? Step off the ledge here fellas, PA isn't going anywhere at the deadline. Matter of fact, I bet he signs before the deadline. Ever hear of neogiating tatics?
So did Cryin' Ryan's agent. We all know what happened there...

Old
02-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Moosie

I don't see much resemblance between PA and Jason Blake. PA is a team player, Blake is a do-it-all-myself player. I hope Snow signs Parenteau to a 3-year deal.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:56 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
So did Cryin' Ryan's agent. We all know what happened there...
completely different story. Ryan Smyth never publicly stated numerous times his love for the team and how he wants to stay. PA was given his 1st chance here, you can tell he geniunely loves it here and wants to stay. I have no doubt in my mind that he re-signs. Probably will be before the deadline too. Either this was a neogiating ploy by his agent or PA geniunely really doesn't want his contract be a distraction considering the Islanders are making a serious playoff push

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:58 PM
goal1228

I like PA too but the truth is this team needs to be changed we pretty much
like all players (except for the new signings this year) If we can get an NHL ready defensemen or a player like Greene from LA i would do it.It isn't impossible to resign him next year if he wants to come back but sooner or later this team will need to change .Tired of missimg the playoffs each year and it is extremely hard for the Isles to sign a quality UFA.

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote