HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th.

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
What a game for DeMar. I love how Raps haven't given up on tough games when down early.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Crispy Crust

Man Lin is linsane.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

****ing Butler.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:43 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

How old is that music they play to advertise non-Raptors games on TSN? I swear I remember hearing that music when there were games on CTV with the Vancouver Grizzlies...

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 45 GP, 17-21-7 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
02-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

More minutes for Davis please!

Old
02-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Man raps defense is atrocious tonight.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Lebanese Leaf

My take on the whole Lin-Raptors situation (I am a diehard lifelong Raps fan btw since their inception when I was a young boy):

The Raps single-handidly shot themselves in the foot and handed that game to the Knicks last night. The fact that Rasual Butler was out on the court late in the 4th quarter tells me that the fix was in. Either from the NBA, or Colangelo wanting to tank and giving Casey instructions. Butler is the type of player you tank with, he loses you games. So when the Raptors give up a 13-1 run (or whatever it was) to end the game, and have terrible players like Butler on the court, they don't deserve to be cheered for. They're asking to lose, they WANT to lose. And I have no problem cheering for them to lose this year because we truly need another top-5 pick with Valanciunas next year, and will make this team scary to watch with Casey as a coach. This season is all about the progression of the young core players, they're who I want to see do well. I don't give two ***** about Aaron Gray, Rasual Butler, Gary Forbes etc. And let's be honest, seeing Lin hit that shot was something out of a movie script, such a great story.

When this team is putting a competitive product on the court that demands a sold-out crowd on a Tuesday night, then believe me you will see nothing but the loudest of cheers for the Raps. This city has the most loyal fanbase in the world, they still come out to games and give all their teams attention despite being terrible at all their major sports in recent history.

And as for the whole Jeremy Lin-sanity that has swept the world... listen, he's a great player. I don't see him as a flash in the pan, but at the same time he's not the next Steve Nash like so many people are throwing out. I follow American sports media a lot mroe than most Canadians, I listen to radio hosts like Dan Patrick daily. And I see the same parallels with Tim Tebow in that the highs are WAY too high on the guy, and when he does make a mistake, mark my words...the lows will be WAY too low. If the Knicks go on a 3 game losing streak where Lin shoots under 30% with lots of turnovers, then watch media to start tearing him apart, just like they did when Tebow started to lose. That's where my issue is. The American media is more bipolar than Leaf Nation. I have no problem with the Asian pride, I have no problem with him as a player or a person. He comes off as very down to Earth humble guy. My problem is with the media that's putting this crazy burden of pressure and attention on him, when he's still a rookie who will have ups and downs.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Swervin81
MFW Leafs be Leafin

Jack singing

Old
02-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

I love this game.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Epic fail Forbes.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
I do care if they lose. Losing mentality can stick with teams. It's why the Columbus Blue Jackets are now dealing Nash and have never been able to get it right.

Or the Devils own, Ilya Kovalchuk. Can he ever be a winner? I'm thinking the NJD will not win a Cup for the next 14 years.

Once you stray down a path, any path, it's hard to overcome.
No offense, but that's some ******** right there. Talent will change a losing situation into a winning one quick. You think anyone in OKC cares they were horrible now that they have Durant, Westbrook, and Harden?

I'd take two years of bottom 5 finishes if it got the Raps some LEGIT talent. But I think with next year being BC's last year of his contract, he will try and make the playoffs.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
No offense, but that's some ******** right there. Talent will change a losing situation into a winning one quick. You think anyone in OKC cares they were horrible now that they have Durant, Westbrook, and Harden?

I'd take two years of bottom 5 finishes if it got the Raps some LEGIT talent. But I think with next year being BC's last year of his contract, he will try and make the playoffs.
It's not. This team, is hanging with even the San Antonio's and LA Lakers of the world. They also beat Boston, which to be fair is a depreciating team, but still. And they've had LEGIT talent and they still lost. It's what they're used to.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:20 PM
RaskY
GLG

Yet another loss

Old
02-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Did they cheer for Manu hitting those free throws at the end? I wasn't sure.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
It's not. This team, is hanging with even the San Antonio's and LA Lakers of the world. They also beat Boston, which to be fair is a depreciating team, but still. And they've had LEGIT talent and they still lost. It's what they're used to.
Are you referring to the Bosh years? It was him and Calderon pretty much back then. Bargs was inconsistent, Ford/Jack never worked out, and then a collection of ok players like Parker and Humps.

Not what I'd call a very talented team.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Ford worked fine until he was hurt. They had one good year, then reverted after they had their butts spanked. Even the Carter years, exciting, but they couldn't get to that next level because they just didn't know how.

And when you get in that losing mentality, which, in my mind 100% exists, you forget how to get it to the next level if you enjoyed success there before. And, I still maintain that Garbajosa's injury against Boston was the undoing of the Raptors and has led to a lot of nonsense since then. I think this team will be a perpetual loser.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:01 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Quote:
Ford worked fine until he was hurt. They had one good year, then reverted after they had their butts spanked. Even the Carter years, exciting, but they couldn't get to that next level because they just didn't know how.

And when you get in that losing mentality, which, in my mind 100% exists, you forget how to get it to the next level if you enjoyed success there before. And, I still maintain that Garbajosa's injury against Boston was the undoing of the Raptors and has led to a lot of nonsense since then. I think this team will be a perpetual loser.
The culture of losing in the Toronto Raptors organization is disgusting but I see Dwayne Casey being able to change that. Lets remember KD didnt break out for a couple of years either being patient with these guys will be the difference. Ford had all the potential in the world for a guy of his stature he was a warrior had he not gotten the neck injury I think he'd be our starter right now.

The raptors also need to invest a lot in scouting hell we've passed up on Iguodalas, Bynums and Grangers for Grahams, Aruajos and Villanuevas. But I feel their drafting is getting a lot better I'd like to see a solid SF and a PG who can play some more defence but those are all pieces you add along the way. The foundation is there now to add to the core is Colangelo's most important job as a GM yet. The decisions he makes this year and this draft will go a very long way in determining whether we see a resurgence of the Raptors. Here's hoping....

Old
02-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolungoReboundo View Post
The culture of losing in the Toronto Raptors organization is disgusting but I see Dwayne Casey being able to change that. Lets remember KD didnt break out for a couple of years either being patient with these guys will be the difference. Ford had all the potential in the world for a guy of his stature he was a warrior had he not gotten the neck injury I think he'd be our starter right now.

The raptors also need to invest a lot in scouting hell we've passed up on Iguodalas, Bynums and Grangers for Grahams, Aruajos and Villanuevas. But I feel their drafting is getting a lot better I'd like to see a solid SF and a PG who can play some more defence but those are all pieces you add along the way. The foundation is there now to add to the core is Colangelo's most important job as a GM yet. The decisions he makes this year and this draft will go a very long way in determining whether we see a resurgence of the Raptors. Here's hoping....
Don't even get me started on the draft I still take LaMarcus over LaAndrea. I said it before the draft, I said it during the draft, I said it after the draft and I'll say it after they retire. I like LaAndrea now and his suits are always impeccable, but, LaMarcus.

And yeah, TJ's injury sucked. The other thing I didn't understand is why they moved Marion for Turkoglu. That was pathetic, Marion fit the bill for the Raps way, way more than Turk could and did.

Dwane Casey is also an interesting case. They've only given up 100 points three times this year, out of 30 games. That's one every ten. Very, very inspiring D. I think he's the right piece at the HC position. I also see the respect he gets from other coaches, especially Pops greeting after the game tonight with him. Nice to see.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Garbajosa was a workhorse, and I do agree. Love that guy. Bottom line is BC is running out of time... he's gotta do something big next season.

With AB, DD, ED, JV and a high draft pick... you got a solid core. We gotta bring in some vet presence. What do we do with Calderon? Jeremy Lin is proving to be a team player, he is a great distributor.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Shimso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Garbajosa was a workhorse, and I do agree. Love that guy. Bottom line is BC is running out of time... he's gotta do something big next season.

With AB, DD, ED, JV and a high draft pick... you got a solid core. We gotta bring in some vet presence. What do we do with Calderon? Jeremy Lin is proving to be a team player, he is a great distributor.
Its too early but I'm not sold on Ed, and hopefully DeMar breaks out of his funk...

Old
02-16-2012, 10:16 AM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Even if we had past up on Aldridge why not draft Gay? He's hands down one of my top 5 favourite players in the league

Old
02-16-2012, 10:53 AM
HOCKEYGOON

Not a huge basketball fan... are there any superstars in the NBA draft this year?

It always seems like the Raps draft some 2nd rate superstars like Bargnani or meh players that fill a roster spot but aren't impressive.

It would be amazing if they picked up another Bosh or even better.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:06 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Anthony Davis could very well be a superstar in the NBA.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Anthony Davis could very well be a superstar in the NBA.
I think he is the only one that can be a superstar in this draft. I'm sure there will be a few stars or really good players but he is one I see being a superstar.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:37 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Jeremy Lin is being hyped up too much, it sickens me, he's one of the best things that happend in Toronto? HELL NO MY ass ****ing sickens me how our fans cheer for him like come on dude has 32 turnovers in 8 games, he's not a point guard he sucks, I'll be waiting in a few months where no one will hear of him again, it's like Norris Cole, famous for 1 day and then no where in sight the other.

Closed Thread