HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th.

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Well according to Devlins Tweet Jerryd Bayless is done for the season. He has a partially torn oblique muscle. This sucks for the future but is good for the tank. Does this mean he'll be re-signed for a cheap 1 or 2 year contract? Or could this be the last we see of That Boy Bay?
I would bring him back. I was impressed with what he was doing when given those starting minutes. Could have just been a hot streak but he looked when Calderon went down. I like them as a tandem and if you can't bring a legit starting point guard, just roll with both of them or if you can get good value for Jose, do it and keep Bayless and get a veteran to help him out.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Suntouchable13

Does anyone know why there is a bigger disparity between the really good teams and the bad teams in the NBA than in the NHL? The team with the best record in the NHL has won 64 % of their games while the team with the best record in the NBA has won 78 % of their games. The team with the worst record in the NHL has won 32 % of their games, while the team with the worst record in the NBA has won only 15 % of their games. There are also a few teams in the 20 % range.

Is there another explanation for this except hard cap in the NHL and the NBA only has a soft one?

Old
03-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Does anyone know why there is a bigger disparity between the really good teams and the bad teams in the NBA than in the NHL? The team with the best record in the NHL has won 64 % of their games while the team with the best record in the NBA has won 78 % of their games. The team with the worst record in the NHL has won 32 % of their games, while the team with the worst record in the NBA has won only 15 % of their games. There are also a few teams in the 20 % range.

Is there another explanation for this except hard cap in the NHL and the NBA only has a soft one?
Loser point is probably the biggest explanation for that along with the teams at the top loaded with stars/superstars while teams at the bottom, don't have much.

I really hate the loser point in NHL. Teams that aren't good look to just keep the game close and try to pick up loser points or win by fluke in the shootout. Great rid of that and there is probably a lot more difference in the NHL standings than teams being so closely grouped together.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post

NBA also depends more on their star players then the NHL does. When a roster tops out at 15 on a NBA team with 3 of those Injured reserved and starters averaging between 33-35 mins a game look at all the top teams they have the best players in the league, or 2-3 very good to elite players.

NHL can rely more on spreading the talent out then having top heavy teams. That's why most NHL teams can get away with just a #1 Center, #1 Defensemen and a #1 Goalie and stack the rest of the team with role players.

Old
03-30-2012, 07:38 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Team doing a good job of hanging with the Heat all game, in spite of some piss-poor rebounding #s. Amir has 8, and no one else has more than 4 (and that's Calderon)

Bargs = 0
Gray = 0
Forbes = 1
Davis = 1
James Johnson = 0

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
03-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Eytinge

Bargnani has been turrible all game long. A fricking 7 footer can't grab one rebound? This guy is so freaking lazy and lackadaisical it drives me crazy.

Old
03-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Kb21

andrea needs to make an effort to try to rebound if he wants this team to ever contend since we can't play him @ the 3 spot. if not, lets hope win the lottery choose anthony davis and try to trade bargs to one of the top 5 lottery teams for their pick and choose a SF i.e. MGK, barnes.

the one positive i took from this was that we were running plays well most of the time and andrea was boxing out, unlike in the past years.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Being 7 feet you'd think that even by accident you would have a rebound.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:00 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I randomly check the standings to see how the tank is going and I never noticed until today the surge the Celtics went on. Weren't they near the bottom earlier in the season or did I mistake them for another team?

Old
03-31-2012, 07:22 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 3000
Give me Davis or Kidd-Gilchrist right now! What a tournament from these two so far.

Old
03-31-2012, 10:44 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...lina-tar-heels

This has me kinda scare of the Raptors potentially picking Barnes.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:17 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

What the hell was that press conference? Holy, I've never seen an athlete give an acceptance decision like that.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Kb21

Quote:
He was good, sure, and shot the ball with a confidence that went far beyond his youth, but he never really developed any other part of his game. He'd go crashing into the boards and pull down a jaw-dropping rebound, but then he'd follow that with 10 minutes of standing around on defense. He never figured out how to get to the basket. He never found a way to reliably distribute the ball in transition. Instead, Barnes's improvements were the sort that could be easily dispensed through the media. He put on 15 pounds of muscle between his freshman and sophomore years. He "committed himself to defense." He "came back to win a national championship." He did everything he could do to build the perception that he was competing the right way. But he did not really improve as a basketball player
this article describes his short comings spot on, i watched every game UNC played in the tourny to get a look @ barnes and this is exactly what happened. however i haven't seen enough of MGK to be able to compare the two.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:36 PM
Skyhound

Quote:

I really hope they don't pick Barnes, he's too much of a perimeter player, doesn't use his size in college where he should be dominating.
Give me MKG over Barnes any day (assuming MKG drops to the Raptors, or they move up). The Raptors need a foward that'll drive it into the paint, hopefully they can get one this draft and move forward.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

Yeah, I'd expect his stock to drop in the draft after those poor performances. I still like him but I would definitely prefer MKG over him but it seems like MKG stock might rise all the way into top 3.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:23 AM
Eytinge

Having Demar and Barnes as our 2 and 3 of the future would be disastrous. Give me MKG over Barnes anyday as well.

I'm still holding out hope that the Raps win the lottery. Davis and Val as our front court the next 10 years? Yes, please.

I didn't know too much about Robinson before the tourny but I love his game too. Too bad he's strictly a power forward.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

So is this draft looking pretty lackluster, should we be excited for our pick this year? I haven't payed attention to the Raps or prospects in a long time.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
So is this draft looking pretty lackluster, should we be excited for our pick this year? I haven't payed attention to the Raps or prospects in a long time.
The draft isn't lackluster... at least I don't think so. It's a strong draft IMO with depth but it is lacking in position we need, particularily in PG.

There are a lot of powerforward and centers which Raps don't really need but there are some good SG/SF draftees in Barnes, MKG, Lamb, Beal, Perry Jones, Rivers. If MKG isn't on the board by the time we pick, I would go with Lamb and move DeMar permanently to SF who seems to be a better fit at the position.

Old
04-01-2012, 08:54 AM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
I really want Gilchrist. Something the Raps needed for a long time and a good defender.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
The draft isn't lackluster... at least I don't think so. It's a strong draft IMO with depth but it is lacking in position we need, particularily in PG.

There are a lot of powerforward and centers which Raps don't really need but there are some good SG/SF draftees in Barnes, MKG, Lamb, Beal, Perry Jones, Rivers. If MKG isn't on the board by the time we pick, I would go with Lamb and move DeMar permanently to SF who seems to be a better fit at the position.
If MKG isn't on board, I'd rather have Beal than Lamb.

Agreed the draft is deep in PF's and C's with some SF/SG's sprinkled in there. There are some really interesting prospects in the draft (ie Perry Jones).

I do wonder if the Raps give serious consideration to a guy like Kendall Marshall at #5. While it'd be a reach, the guy is a terrific distributor with excellent vision and passing skills. His biggest drawbacks is he hasn't developed a consistent jumped as people would like. The article the Nem posted went over this too a little. Not saying I would take him at #5, but I would give it some consideration.

04-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
If MKG isn't on board, I'd rather have Beal than Lamb.

Agreed the draft is deep in PF's and C's with some SF/SG's sprinkled in there. There are some really interesting prospects in the draft (ie Perry Jones).

I do wonder if the Raps give serious consideration to a guy like Kendall Marshall at #5. While it'd be a reach, the guy is a terrific distributor with excellent vision and passing skills. His biggest drawbacks is he hasn't developed a consistent jumped as people would like. The article the Nem posted went over this too a little. Not saying I would take him at #5, but I would give it some consideration.
I think both are similar. Lamb has more athlethism, both can shoot, both can defend, Lamb is a better at ball handling but he needs to bulk up and get to the rim more often. Beal is a year younger though. I like Lamb because it seems like he's got better physical tools but he needs to add some weight and get stronger.

I don't want Marshall. I like him as a PG but I don't think he will ever be great and seems too one dimensional. Great passer with great size for a PG but he can't shoot, he's not quick, likely won't be a good defender... I just think his ceiling is low. Raps need great players and I just don't think Marshall is that but he could fit in well on a team like the Lakers who can cover his deficiencies and just have him pass the ball.

I go back and forth on Perry Jones. At times, I really want him on the Raptors because that size, athleticism, quickness is ridiculous but the work ethic and inconsistency can be maddening. He is a homerun type pick that if he can figure it out, he could be just as good, if not better than Anthony Davis. It would certainly add tons of size to our team as he is a 6'11 SF. Maybe if Casey can get him motivated, he could be a really good pick for us. I would consider taking him over Barnes at this point.

Old
04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
shaner89

Say goodbye to a lotto pick

2 more wins this week

Fire colangelo immedialtey

Old
04-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
Say goodbye to a lotto pick

2 more wins this week

Fire colangelo immedialtey
Someones been drinking.

Old
04-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Yeah, Barnes did not look good. David & MKG stood out, just want a player that would fit with raps. Please, no ore Araujo busts!!!

Old
04-02-2012, 10:03 AM
hdtrax

I'm on the Beal bandwagon. So much upside. Move Demar to SF, and try to grab another pick in the first so you have a shot at someone like Terrence Jones or even Marquis Teague (if he chooses to declare)

Closed Thread