HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2012, 02:21 PM
  #626
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
The over/under for Raptors wins this season was 16. And that was assuming they'd have a healthy Bargnani all year. The fact that THIS roster has managed 21 wins is pretty amazing. Casey is a remarkable coach. With the team defense and improvements next year (Healthy Bargnani + Valanciunas + lottery pick + cap space to make some signings) this group is poised to make the playoffs.
Having Bargnani around is not always a good thing.

I'm praying him and Jose aren't here next year.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 02:45 PM
  #627
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Having Bargnani around is not always a good thing.

I'm praying him and Jose aren't here next year.
The team was far better with him in the lineup than without, and he showed a lot of progress in playing a better defensive game this season too.

Besides, unless the raptors are lucky enough to end up with Davis or Kidd-Gilchrist, there's not much available in terms of impact scorers (Beal and Barnes might be able to do it, but Beal is undersized and Barnes isn't great at creating his own shot.). And I'm not convinced that DeRozan can be counted on to keep his game consistently strong enough to be an everyday scorer. I also wouldn't expect Valanciunas to come over and be a 18-20 point guy right out of the gate.

The team needs Bargnani right now. And unless they can miraculously find another quality PG on the open market, they're likely going to need Calderon too.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 03:38 PM
  #628
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,692
vCash: 500
There's a thread on realgm stating (with a source) that apparently the Raptors have offered Sasha ****ing Vujacic 4 years/18 million.

It better be a joke.

__________________
Interested in checking out 50+ years worth of covers from "The Hockey News?" Check out my collection here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1382901
Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 05:47 PM
  #629
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,085
vCash: 500
dammit, Kyrie Irving is listed as doubtful for tonight's Cleveland/Washington game. Gonna make it harder for Cleveland to win.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 05:55 PM
  #630
Hyperglide
Registered User
 
Hyperglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
There's a thread on realgm stating (with a source) that apparently the Raptors have offered Sasha ****ing Vujacic 4 years/18 million.

It better be a joke.
It just got closed. If that happened I will no longer be a Raptor fan.

He is pure hot garbage.

The source is some unknown twitter guy. It's more then likely false.

Hyperglide is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 06:04 PM
  #631
91Kadri91
Registered User
 
91Kadri91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
The team was far better with him in the lineup than without, and he showed a lot of progress in playing a better defensive game this season too.

Besides, unless the raptors are lucky enough to end up with Davis or Kidd-Gilchrist, there's not much available in terms of impact scorers (Beal and Barnes might be able to do it, but Beal is undersized and Barnes isn't great at creating his own shot.). And I'm not convinced that DeRozan can be counted on to keep his game consistently strong enough to be an everyday scorer. I also wouldn't expect Valanciunas to come over and be a 18-20 point guy right out of the gate.

The team needs Bargnani right now. And unless they can miraculously find another quality PG on the open market, they're likely going to need Calderon too.
As much as I want him to be selected by the Raptors (he's second on my draft board), he's most definitely not an impact scorer.

In both Davis' and Kidd-Gilchrist's case, their true value is at the defensive end of the court. I do believe Davis can develop a very good offensive, but I don't see Kidd-Gilchrist being more then a fifteen-to-seventeen point per game scorer.

In terms of high-end scorers, Barnes and Lamb could both be high-end scorers, but they lack any other truly positive trait.

That's the difference between Beal, Kidd-Gilchrist and Davis, when compared to Lamb and Barnes. The reason they are rated higher than the likes of Lamb and Barnes is because they offer more then just scoring ability.

That's the same reason I'm not sold on Bargnani. He's a very dangerous scorer but, beyond that, he really doesn't do anything well.

91Kadri91 is online now  
Old
04-25-2012, 06:21 PM
  #632
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
There's a thread on realgm stating (with a source) that apparently the Raptors have offered Sasha ****ing Vujacic 4 years/18 million.

It better be a joke.
I hate BC. He loves to overpay every Euro player on the market.

I fully expect him to offer AK47 a big deal this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
As much as I want him to be selected by the Raptors (he's second on my draft board), he's most definitely not an impact scorer.

In both Davis' and Kidd-Gilchrist's case, their true value is at the defensive end of the court. I do believe Davis can develop a very good offensive, but I don't see Kidd-Gilchrist being more then a fifteen-to-seventeen point per game scorer.

In terms of high-end scorers, Barnes and Lamb could both be high-end scorers, but they lack any other truly positive trait.

That's the difference between Beal, Kidd-Gilchrist and Davis, when compared to Lamb and Barnes. The reason they are rated higher than the likes of Lamb and Barnes is because they offer more then just scoring ability.

That's the same reason I'm not sold on Bargnani. He's a very dangerous scorer but, beyond that, he really doesn't do anything well.
Beal I thought was a pretty good scorer? My wing list is still Beal, MKG, Lamb and then Barnes.

As for Bargs, I'm not sold on him either. I don't think you can contend with a PF that grabs 5 boards and is inconsistent defensively. Plus he is BC's pet project, which makes me dislike him more.

If we move into 2nd/3rd I'd draft T-Rob (a true powerforward) in a second and move Bargnani's ass outta here.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 06:30 PM
  #633
91Kadri91
Registered User
 
91Kadri91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Beal I thought was a pretty good scorer? My wing list is still Beal, MKG, Lamb and then Barnes.

As for Bargs, I'm not sold on him either. I don't think you can contend with a PF that grabs 5 boards and is inconsistent defensively. Plus he is BC's pet project, which makes me dislike him more.

If we move into 2nd/3rd I'd draft T-Rob (a true powerforward) in a second and move Bargnani's ass outta here.
Beal most definitely has the potential to be a very-good scorer. I probably should have mentioned him with Barnes and Lamb, but the reason I didn't was because Beal offers more then just scoring ability. He's also a very-good rebounder, and playmaker.

I completely agree with you in terms of picking Robinson. If the Raptors are in a position to draft Robinson, and MKG and Davis are gone, I would love to see them select T-Rob or Beal.

Robinson is an absolute beast.

91Kadri91 is online now  
Old
04-25-2012, 07:48 PM
  #634
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,085
vCash: 500
Cleveland down by 14 to Washington with a quarter to go. Given that they'll almost certainly lose to Chicago tomorrow, it seems that they've locked up finishing with a worse record than Toronto. Ditto for New Orleans and Sacramento (finishing up against Houston and the Lakers)

So even if the Raptors lose tomorrow to complete the tank, they're probably looking at the 6 spot at best.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 08:35 PM
  #635
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,085
vCash: 500
Cleveland lost to Washington.

Updated tankboard headed into the final day:

1) Charlotte 7-58 (Last game: vs New York)
--------------------------------
2) Washington 19-46 (Last game: vs Miami)
--------------------------------
T-3) Cleveland 21-44 (Last game: @ Chicago)
T-3) New Orleans 21-44 (Last game: @ Houston)
T-3) Sacramento 21-44 (Last game: vs LA Lakers)
T-6) Toronto 22-43 (Last game: vs New Jersey)
T-6) New Jersey 22-43 (Last game: @ Toronto)
8) Golden State 23-42 (Last game: vs San Antonio)
---------------------------------
So tomorrow offers up a full slate of games for us to watch regarding the tank.

New Jersey @ Toronto (Nets lead season series 2-1)
Cleveland @ Chicago (Bulls lead season series 2-0)
New Orleans @ Houston (Series tied 1-1)
LA Lakers @ Sacramento (Series tied 1-1)
San Antonio @ Golden State (Spurs lead season series 2-0)

And as for scenarios for the Raptors:

tie for 3rd (4-way tie): All three of Cleveland/New Orleans/Sacramento win, Toronto loses.

tie for 4th (3-way tie): Two of Cleveland/New Orleans/Sacramento win, the other one loses, Toronto loses.

tie for 5th: One of Cleveland/New Orleans/Sacramento wins, the other one loses, Toronto loses

Stay in 6th: All 3 of Cleveland/New Orleans/Sacramento lose, Toronto loses.

Slide back to 7th (sole possession): Toronto wins, Golden State wins

Slide back to 7th (tie): Toronto wins, Golden State loses.

And what those lottery spots we're playing for mean:

-a 4-way tie for 3rd would give the Raptors a roughly 10% chance of winning the lottery, and (if I'm doing this right), about an 11% chance of getting the #2 pick.

-a 3-way tie for 4th would equal about a 9% chance of winning the top pick, and about 10% chance to move up to #2.

-tying for 5th with one other team would be about a 7.5% chance of getting #1, 8.4% chance to get #2

-6th equals a 6.1% chance at getting #1, 7.1% to get #2

-sole 7th place is 4.3% and 4.9% respectively for the top 2 picks.

-tying for 7th would mean 3.5% and 4.1%

I also re-read the draft lottery rules and found that coin flips are used to split up uneven distributions of combined odds (ie if a 4-way tie can't allocate the appropriate # of winning combinations evenly, a coin flip would determine which team gets the extra combination or two that's at stake), and to determine placement in the event that the teams don't win the lottery for the top 3 picks. But that's so drawn out and boring to explore that we just won't get into it.

so my bad for overruling the people who said a coin flip broke ties (including myself).


Last edited by The Nemesis: 04-25-2012 at 08:47 PM.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 04:51 PM
  #636
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,085
vCash: 500
With Ron Artest* suspended, the Lakers are also reportedly sitting Kobe for tonight. So if Sacramento was ever going to have an honest chance to win a game against he Lakers, tonight's the night. Unless of course they even more blatantly throw in the towel.


*I refuse to call him by that stupid other name.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 05:15 PM
  #637
Lebanese Leaf
Registered User
 
Lebanese Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 6,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
Beal most definitely has the potential to be a very-good scorer. I probably should have mentioned him with Barnes and Lamb, but the reason I didn't was because Beal offers more then just scoring ability. He's also a very-good rebounder, and playmaker.

I completely agree with you in terms of picking Robinson. If the Raptors are in a position to draft Robinson, and MKG and Davis are gone, I would love to see them select T-Rob or Beal.

Robinson is an absolute beast.
Unless there's some moves made on this roster, we cannot afford to draft another PF. As it currently stands, with Valanciunas coming over next year, Bargnani is the starting PF, with Ed Davis and Amir Johnson as backups.

Lebanese Leaf is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 05:19 PM
  #638
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,155
vCash: 500
Raptors starting line-up:

Uzoh-Forbes-Anderson-J. Johnson-Magloire

Good god, that is beyond bad.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 05:24 PM
  #639
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Raptors starting line-up:

Uzoh-Forbes-Anderson-J. Johnson-Magloire

Good god, that is beyond bad.
they're not even trying to disguise their intent.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 05:25 PM
  #640
SpeakerForTheDead
Registered User
 
SpeakerForTheDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brampton/Chicago
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Raptors starting line-up:

Uzoh-Forbes-Anderson-J. Johnson-Magloire

Good god, that is beyond bad.
Have we ever seen a worse starting 5 for the Raptors? Casey and BC understand the importance of losing this game, the difference between 3rd and 7th is a big one for this team going forward.

SpeakerForTheDead is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 05:34 PM
  #641
Lebanese Leaf
Registered User
 
Lebanese Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 6,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Raptors starting line-up:

Uzoh-Forbes-Anderson-J. Johnson-Magloire

Good god, that is beyond bad.

Lebanese Leaf is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 05:39 PM
  #642
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,085
vCash: 500
The timeline for tonight is as follows:

30 minutes from now: Nets/Raptors

90 minutes from now: Cavaliers/Bulls & Hornets/Rockets

4 hours from now: Kings/Lakers & Spurs/Warriors.

So with 7:30/10:30 starts on those last two games, chances are we won't see how things full into place until 10ish Pacific (1am Eastern)

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 06:20 PM
  #643
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,085
vCash: 500
Start joke lineup; lead game 17-2


The Nemesis is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 06:25 PM
  #644
SpeakerForTheDead
Registered User
 
SpeakerForTheDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brampton/Chicago
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,913
vCash: 500
Dammit, our scrubs are outplaying their scrubs! WTF guys!

SpeakerForTheDead is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 06:28 PM
  #645
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
Dammit, our scrubs are outplaying their scrubs! WTF guys!
21-10 now. Nets are gaining ground. It also appears that the Raptors are using a much shorter bench than New Jersey, so maybe they'll end up fading as the game progresses.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 06:33 PM
  #646
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,085
vCash: 500
26-15 Raptors after 1 quarter.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 06:35 PM
  #647
SpeakerForTheDead
Registered User
 
SpeakerForTheDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brampton/Chicago
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
26-15 Raptors after 1 quarter.
Thats better now, hopefully they can continue to cut into the lead. As you said, with the shorter bench, I can see us having a bad 4th.

SpeakerForTheDead is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 06:45 PM
  #648
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,085
vCash: 500
was wrong about the bench. The Raptors just waited longer to dip into theirs. Raptors appear to be using 7 guys (J. Johnson, Davis, Uzoh, Anderson, Forbes, Magloire, Alabi) to New Jersey's 8 (Gerald Green, DeShawn Stevenson, Jordan Williams, MarShon Brooks, Sundiata Gaines, Johan Petro, Armon Johnson, and Anthony Morrow)

As of right now it's 33-18, so the lead is back up around 15 points with 7 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 06:49 PM
  #649
Buddio
CFC
 
Buddio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rogers Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,412
vCash: 500
The lineup is ****ing disgusting.

Buddio is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 06:56 PM
  #650
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,085
vCash: 500
43-27 with 3:30 left.

that 15-16 point cushion is unfortunately holding.

The Nemesis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.