HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th.

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2012, 12:01 AM
binop7

vCash: 500
Trade the pick + derozan + bargs for howard. I don't know how trades work in the NBA is that enough. Would Dwight even want to come to T.o?

Old
04-27-2012, 12:11 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Trade the pick + derozan + bargs for howard. I don't know how trades work in the NBA is that enough. Would Dwight even want to come to T.o?
the answers to your questions are "most likley not" and "absolutely not" respectively.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
04-27-2012, 12:13 AM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
the answers to your questions are "most likley not" and "absolutely not" respectively.
I might be one of the few people who don't want Steve Nash. I like the guy, but his best days are done, I like the youth mentality the current raps have.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:26 AM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
I might be one of the few people who don't want Steve Nash. I like the guy, but his best days are done, I like the youth mentality the current raps have.
Yeah, but having him come into mentor guys like Derozan, Valanciunas and our top pick from this year, hell even Bargnani, would payoff in a lot of ways off of the court as well.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

I agree. Sign NASH. AB, DD and JV would benefit from his leadership. Get some vets on this team.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:36 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Nash is going to want to play for a contender. IF he wanted another year as a bottom feeder he would've stayed in Phoenix.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Then Miami is his next destination...

Old
04-27-2012, 12:40 AM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
Yeah, but having him come into mentor guys like Derozan, Valanciunas and our top pick from this year, hell even Bargnani, would payoff in a lot of ways off of the court as well.
That's a fair point, but I think Casey is doing a pretty good job of player development

Old
04-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
i guess it isn't all bad, out side of the top 2 there is no clear consensus as to who should be taken 3rd, 4th, etc. i'd be happy with a bradley beal or a harrison barnes. if we do stick @ 8th should we not take a chance on kendall marshall? sure he can't shoot but that can be developed in the NBA and he is said to be one of the best passers to come out of the draft in a long time, if not we can only hope he becomes rondo 2.0
IMO the draft has these tiers:

Davis

T-Rob
Beal
MKG

Lamb
Drummond
Barnes

Getting stuck with Lillard would be disgusting. I really thought the Raptors would finish in the bottom 3 this year, unless we win the lottery, this year has been a half assed tank.
Quote:
Nash is going to want to play for a contender. IF he wanted another year as a bottom feeder he would've stayed in Phoenix.
Yeah, unless we offer him a crazy contract I see him trying to win a ring to end his career.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:06 AM
SpeakerForTheDead

Ben ****ing Uzoh! Alan Anderson, Gary Forbes! WTF guys, I know your playing for a contract but dammit that was so frustrating. Though, seeing it from Ed Davis, even if it was against scrubs was encouraging, so his game I'm happy with.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
They won't be a bottom feeder next year.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
They won't be a bottom feeder next year.
They won't be contending either. Probably similar to what Phoenix did this year, and he wants to move on from there.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Coin Flip to decide 7th or 8th happening now. I will update as soon as I know.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Lebanese Leaf

I'm hearing the Raptors lost the coin flip, so 8th position going into the lottery. Absolute worst case scenario came true last night.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:38 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

We were supposed to get a top-3 pick this year and now we have the 8th best odds for the lottery, damn you Casey!

Old
04-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

How the hell does this team end up in 8th in the draft standings. I didn't watch a single game this season, can someone give me some cliff notes?

Old
04-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
IMO the draft has these tiers:

Davis

T-Rob
Beal
MKG

Lamb
Drummond
Barnes

Getting stuck with Lillard would be disgusting. I really thought the Raptors would finish in the bottom 3 this year, unless we win the lottery, this year has been a half assed tank.

Yeah, unless we offer him a crazy contract I see him trying to win a ring to end his career.
What about Perry Jones III? Did he fall in the draft rankings? I thought he was a pretty highly sought prospect too?

Old
04-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
How the hell does this team end up in 8th in the draft standings. I didn't watch a single game this season, can someone give me some cliff notes?
To sum it up in a couple of words: Dwane Casey taught use how to play defense.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
What about Perry Jones III? Did he fall in the draft rankings? I thought he was a pretty highly sought prospect too?
He's got the size, athleticism and tools to be great but he's never put it together. He lacks motivation and is a very inconsistent player.

It kinda really sucks extra win or two is costing us a top 5 pick. Even more frustrating is when D-league players helped you get those extra wins.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He's got the size, athleticism and tools to be great but he's never put it together. He lacks motivation and is a very inconsistent player.

It kinda really sucks extra win or two is costing us a top 5 pick. Even more frustrating is when D-league players helped you get those extra wins.
Well we could still move up in the Lottery. We only lost 1 ping-pong ball.

Also remember the Bulls did it a few years ago to get Rose.

Or we could trade the pick.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Prophet Kadri

Tankers, could you imagine if we had Bargs not been injured. I know its a hypothetical but we would probably be looking at a 10-14 pick. This isn't the NHL draft lottery where you are almost guaranteed to pick within 2 positions, alot can happen without Collangelo trading anything.

I was still 100% for tanking this year but it is a less effective strategy than in the NHL.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Eytinge

What a terrible year. Is anyone going to remember the 3 or 4 extra wins that took us out of the top 3 in a few years? The most depressing thing is, that we'll be stuck picking between PJ3, Lillard, Rivers and the like and still won't have a franchise player to build a contender with.

All our hopes have to be on Val and hope he can become a top 5 center in the nba. But this was the perfect season to tank (with a shortened schedule) and they blew it.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:57 PM
91Kadri91

Well, I'm almost ready to move on to next year.

As for the 2013 draft, my favourite prospect going into this next year is Kyle Anderson. You won't find him on any mock draft sites, but he's a top-5 recruit (Kevin Durant's favourite) and I absolutely love his game.

He probably won't be a top-5 pick, as he doesn't have elite athleticism, but I doubt the Raptors will be in a position to pick top-5 anyway.

More than likely Anderson won't be coming out next year though, and he may not do very well in college either (nobody knows how good he'll be), but I thought he may be someone to keep your eye on.

Old
04-27-2012, 06:01 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I'm hearing the Raptors lost the coin flip, so 8th position going into the lottery. Absolute worst case scenario came true last night.
the good news is that it's not straight up 8th odds in the lottery. Being tied with GS we still split the draft odds on the 7th/8th positions in terms of moving up to the top 3. What this means is that if we don't move up, we sit 8th (or 9-11 if teams leapfrog us)

As I said last night, the chances of moving up from a 7/8 tie are slightly better than straight 8 seed.

It's about 3.5%, 4%, 5% to get one of the top 3 spots because of the tie, whereas if we were alone in 8th it would be more like 3%, 3%, 4%

I should accuse the lottery of being rigged. Because Golden State gets 7th, it means they keep their pick. If the Raptors had won the coin flip, the pick would've gone to Utah instead.

Old
04-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Kb21

Quote:
I should accuse the lottery of being rigged. Because Golden State gets 7th, it means they keep their pick. If the Raptors had won the coin flip, the pick would've gone to Utah instead.
no way, last years lottery definitely proved it wasn't rigged

god if the cavs get the #1 overall again i'm going to rage quit.

Closed Thread