HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th.

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 11:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
Rondo is a fine player who is offensively horrid
Rondo is an awful shooter, but he can at least get into the lane with his speed and quickness and get layups. He's able to average 10-12 points per game in the pros and did the same in college.

Marshall is nowhere near as good an athlete as Rondo and scores even less in college (averaged between 6 and 8 points in his two seasons at UNC.)

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
05-10-2012, 12:04 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Rondo has good enough passing ability that he gets open shots. His jump shot is something that he can continue to work on but some of the other plays that he makes can't be taught at all.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Rondo has good enough passing ability that he gets open shots. His jump shot is something that he can continue to work on but some of the other plays that he makes can't be taught at all.
I agree Rondo's vision and defense is as good as anyone point in the game. If this guy developed a consistent jumper with some range he would be deadly.

Old
05-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Toronto will be in direct competition with the Knicks for Steve Nash. But Nash is expected to look to sign with a bona fide contender, and the Knicks and Raptors don't fit that description. The Raptors are also a potential landing spot for Jeremy Lin. They like him and what he'd do for their attendance, but Toronto would have to "back-load" an offer to the restricted free agent, paying him gazillions in the final couple of years of a deal, and hope that the Knicks would not match. According to league sources, that's what the Raptors just might do if their Nash plan falls through. But considering that the Knicks have no other viable options at point guard, and Lin has been nothing short of a marketing dream, they're seen as a lock to match any offer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...1077053?pgno=1

Old
05-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Prophet Kadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
I agree Rondo's vision and defense is as good as anyone point in the game. If this guy developed a consistent jumper with some range he would be deadly.
This has been said of Rondo every year, but he hasn't developed his jumper to the point where the defense needs to defend it.

Rondo's jumper is like Barg's rebounding. You can hope but we've hoped for about 5 years now.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Eytinge

I hope to god we don't offer Lin a contract.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:17 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...1077053?pgno=1

Quote:
Toronto will be in direct competition with the Knicks for Steve Nash. But Nash is expected to look to sign with a bona fide contender, and the Knicks and Raptors don't fit that description. The Raptors are also a potential landing spot for Jeremy Lin. They like him and what he'd do for their attendance, but Toronto would have to "back-load" an offer to the restricted free agent, paying him gazillions in the final couple of years of a deal, and hope that the Knicks would not match. According to league sources, that's what the Raptors just might do if their Nash plan falls through. But considering that the Knicks have no other viable options at point guard, and Lin has been nothing short of a marketing dream, they're seen as a lock to match any offer.
the Lin news doesn't sit well with me, though it does thankfully appear that it'd be a pipe dream for Colangelo.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:19 PM
trellaine201

Raps had to try and grab some PR......it worked as I heard about this as well. Slow times in Rapland.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

DeMar DeRozan has been named to the US Selects squad, essentially a practice squad/black aces group for the eventual US Olympic basketball team to practice against. It's not big news since he's not going to the Olympics because of it, but it's kind of cool nonetheless.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Eytinge

Yeesh. He's gotta be the worst player there then.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:24 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
Kendall Marshall will almost certainly be there at 8 (Portland may pick him), but I would definitely take Lamb over Marshall.

I like Marshall, but Lamb has a lot of potential that I don't think the Raptors could pass up on if they were in a position to draft him.

On another note, I thought this was interesting:

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_120507.html

It's mostly speculation, but I thought it was worth some discussion.
It would be great for the raps to add Nash if only for the PR. Although, he'd obviously make them better. I also think Nash is looking at his future and may be looking to the raps as a starting point for his career behind the scenes in some form of a management role.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Yeesh. He's gotta be the worst player there then.
Dude have you even seen the Select teams roster? LOL he's far from the worst player there. Quit sippin' the haterade

DeMarcus Cousins
Jeremy Lin
Klay Thompson
Kyrie Irving
John Wall
DeMar DeRozan
Paul George
Gordon Hayward
Kawhi Leonard
DeJuan Blair
Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Derrick Favors

Old
05-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Jonas Valanciunas has been named:

Player of the Year
Center of the Year
Most Improved Player of the Year

05-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

Player of the Year
Center of the Year

So excited for Val!

Old
05-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

Player of the Year
Center of the Year
That's fantastic. Can't wait to see him in the upcoming season.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:03 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:

Player of the Year
Center of the Year
For.... All of FIBA? The Lithuanian league?

EDIT: Found an article, it's for the Lithuanian league.

EDIT 2: He was also named Domestic (ie Lithuanian-born) POTY and was 1st team C for the year-end league all-star selections.

http://www.eurobasket.com/Lithuania/...?NewsID=271350

Last edited by The Nemesis: 05-15-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old
05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
MVP of West Hollywd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Dude have you even seen the Select teams roster? LOL he's far from the worst player there. Quit sippin' the haterade

DeMarcus Cousins
Jeremy Lin
Klay Thompson
Kyrie Irving
John Wall
DeMar DeRozan
Paul George
Gordon Hayward
Kawhi Leonard
DeJuan Blair
Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Derrick Favors
Demar is easily the worst player on that list IMO. Demar at this point is basically nothing. His seasonal shooting average was 6 for 15 in FG/FGA and the only thing he does on the court is score. His PER is 12.4 which is a "8th man" type of number. (I think he's a little better than his PER, but still). He has potential but right now is an 8th man on a good team IMO. I think if you gave Gary Forbes 15 shots a game this season he could've done what Demar did statistically

Last edited by MVP of West Hollywd: 05-15-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old
05-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP of West Hollywd View Post
Demar is easily the worst player on that list IMO. Demar at this point is basically nothing. His seasonal shooting average was 6 for 15 in FG/FGA and the only thing he does on the court is score. His PER is 12.4 which is a "8th man" type of number. (I think he's a little better than his PER, but still). He has potential but right now is an 8th man on a good team IMO. I think if you gave Gary Forbes 15 shots a game this season he could've done what Demar did statistically
Looking at that list, Cousins, Irving, Wall, and Anderson are all obviously better than him. He gets more playing time than guys like Favors, George, Gibson and Hayward but I don't think he's better than them. Lin is a wildcard, and I don't watch the Spurs enough to comment on Leonard and Blair.

This third season was definitely not a good sign from Demar. He spent all last summer trying to work on his shot, and he still is a horrible 3 point shooter. Lets hope he picks up some things from the better players on Team USA .

Old
05-15-2012, 05:05 PM
KesselPhaneufTML

Quote:
I'd say he's better than Blair for sure. Other guys i'd say he's better than are Thompson and Hayward. He's also arguably better than Leonard, Favors and even Lin too.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:27 PM
thatshype

I'm looking forward to seeing Valanciunas next year. I hope he gives me a good enough reason to watch the Raps next year.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
For.... All of FIBA? The Lithuanian league?

EDIT: Found an article, it's for the Lithuanian league.

EDIT 2: He was also named Domestic (ie Lithuanian-born) POTY and was 1st team C for the year-end league all-star selections.

http://www.eurobasket.com/Lithuania/...?NewsID=271350
Yea he's looking like he's legit that's for sure. It was a big break that he was still on the board when we picked though I have to admit I wanted Kanter.

The Raptors really need to take a look at what direction their going. And if Bargs fits in the picture going forward. The guy has value and if he's healthy should bring back a decent return with all things considered.

Ed Davis needs to pick up his game, I still have confidence in him but he's got a lot of work ahead of him. Trading Bargs may be the best Move the Raptors can make to fill multiple holes through the roster, And even if Davis doesn't pan out the Raptors are bad enough that they should be a lottery team next season.

It's time BC makes a decision, either move out guys like Jose and Bargs or build around them with ready pieces to make a playoff push. Personally I hope he's looking to move them out and try something new if it's something that helps the team in the future.

Though I am not expecting a whole hell of a lot out of Toronto this summer either. I expect free agency to be quite dry north of the boarder as per the norm. And they are going to have to be extremely lucky to land one of MKG, Barnes or Beal out of the draft. And the more realistic choice is going to be one of Rivers, Jones, Marshall or Henson none of whom I am overly excited about.

The team is at a cross roads right now, the talent on the team is consistently good enough to land us out of the top 5 but bad enough that we desperately need to land a top tier player. I was pissed when we passed over Jennings to select DeRozan in the 2009. And the TJ Ford, Nesterović, Hibbert and Baston for O'Neal and Nathan Jawai was horrid at the time and still crap now when you look back. Jermaine was moved out before the all star break, for another useless stiff in Shawn Marion.

Will things change in the coming years? I hope so but I seriously don't see things dramatically improving until BC is gone and hopefully the person that replaces him has the ability to bring this team out of the situation it's currently in. The team can't continue to keep going on with these dumb moves season after season.

Last edited by Joey24: 05-15-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old
05-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:

Player of the Year
Center of the Year
PLAYOFFS ARE COMING for the great city of Toronto! HERE WE COME!

Old
05-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Hyperglide

Quote:
He's a lot better then Blair, Thompson, Lin, Leonard, Favours and Haywood. C'mon now give your head a shake. Sure he has flaws but he's not a bad player. He's only 22. I bet you are a Luke Schenn hater too.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Edgeworth*

So I'm still relatively new to basketball, been keeping my ears perked and trying to learn as much as I can. I have a legitimate interest in the game but everythign I hear about the Raptors sounds awful.

How would you fix the roster? Is Colangelo even a decent GM? I hear suhc mixed things on him.

Basically I'd like a rundown of the roster, who fits, who doesn't, and how people would fix it because I have no idea where to go to get the exposure HFboards can get for Basketball.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:02 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
So I'm still relatively new to basketball, been keeping my ears perked and trying to learn as much as I can. I have a legitimate interest in the game but everythign I hear about the Raptors sounds awful.

How would you fix the roster? Is Colangelo even a decent GM? I hear suhc mixed things on him.

Basically I'd like a rundown of the roster, who fits, who doesn't, and how people would fix it because I have no idea where to go to get the exposure HFboards can get for Basketball.
I can do this for you this afternoon some time. Chances are that I'll end up writing an essay, so I'll need to have a good chunk of free time to sit and write. Maybe during the Jays game.

Closed Thread