HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th.

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2012, 11:54 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 500
There's nothing special about Jeremy Lin. He had a few good games, and he blew up because it was New York. Aaron Gray dropped a double double, one game, no one wants to see him get a massive pay raise. The guy is over-rated and IMO, should actually be doing a bit better with the rest of the team around him.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:59 PM
weems

OKC vs SA will be epic

OKC in 6

Old
05-22-2012, 12:39 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Alright, I'm going to get this in multiple posts so that I don't accidentally lose my work for the 3rd time part way through it:

Thanks Nemesis, the analysis was awesome. It kinda rekindles my adoration for the franchise. To be honest I'm a little frustrated with Toronto-based teams so hearing them not hopeless is pretty refreshing.

It sounds like Toronto has maybe 3 players in the future starting 5 on the current roster and no star talent?

C ??
PF Bargs/Valciunas
SF ??
PG Bayless
SG ??

It sucks about the trading bit, does the NBA make use of Assistant GMs? I don't know, basketball seems like a great sport to get into watching but it's hard to like the Raptors right now. Is there any chance the Raps even land Steve Nash? Wouldn't that create an issue at PG?

Old
05-22-2012, 02:06 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Thanks Nemesis, the analysis was awesome. It kinda rekindles my adoration for the franchise. To be honest I'm a little frustrated with Toronto-based teams so hearing them not hopeless is pretty refreshing.

It sounds like Toronto has maybe 3 players in the future starting 5 on the current roster and no star talent?

C ??
PF Bargs/Valciunas
SF ??
PG Bayless
SG ??

It sucks about the trading bit, does the NBA make use of Assistant GMs? I don't know, basketball seems like a great sport to get into watching but it's hard to like the Raptors right now. Is there any chance the Raps even land Steve Nash? Wouldn't that create an issue at PG?
The plan for me is to have proper player-by-player analysis done in..an hour or so I guess. I need to finish writing up for Davis, J. Johnson, and Forbes and then I can post it.

and assuming there are not trades, there are plenty of pieces to like on hte Raptors roster. Bayless will either be a serviceable starter or a very good 6th man. James Johnson looks like a good versatile player at SF, provided they can get regular scoring from other positions. Valanciunas appears to be a cornerstone center, but it's hard to heap too much pressure on a 20 year old kid who's not set foot on an NBA court yet. And if Valanciunas pans out, then it makes Bargnani extra usable since they seem to be very complimentary to one another. Plus the team is going to get another top 10 pick in this draft, and may very well struggle enough to get another decent high pick in 2013 (hopefully not right at the top of the board)

It's hard to get too pumped up for the Raptors as they currently stand, but I'll say this: For as shallow as the roster was last year, it can't possibly get any worse this coming year, and between Valanciunas and the fact that Coach Casey seemingly has most of the players giving a damn about competing hard on both ends of the court, the team can be fun to watch if you don't get too hung up on the final score. A couple posters last season set what were kind of an alternate victory condition: consider a game a "win" in the figurative sense for the team's future if they could at least hold the opposition to under 100 points. The actually did that fairly well. And against good teams too.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
05-22-2012, 03:59 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Post #811, play-by-player review/analysis for those that want a roster rundown. As promised (albeit like a week late)

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=811

beware: it's a long one. I'm probably also going to copy this and the team analysis into the start of the next thread for the benefit of anyone who shows up late to the party. And because this was several hours of my life that I will push to get my money's worth of.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get some sleep.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:27 AM
shaner89

Quote:
Post #811, play-by-player review/analysis for those that want a roster rundown. As promised (albeit like a week late)

beware: it's a long one. I'm probably also going to copy this and the team analysis into the start of the next thread for the benefit of anyone who shows up late to the party. And because this was several hours of my life that I will push to get my money's worth of.

Real nice write up. That team is just horrific. Just full off bums.

Really sad to see. Colangelo has signed some pitiful players to pitiful contracts.

Jonas is about the only bright spot and hasnt played a game yet

Old
05-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
. Colangelo has signed some pitiful players to pitiful contracts.
Then please tell me why he's still our GM still?? Glen Grunwald did a better job with this team than him. Pathetic. This summer it's either break the bank or unload... sick of losing.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:27 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
Real nice write up. That team is just horrific. Just full off bums.

Really sad to see. Colangelo has signed some pitiful players to pitiful contracts.

Jonas is about the only bright spot and hasnt played a game yet
If that's what you took away from it, then you obviously didn't really read the whole analysis. Or you're just looking to find what you want. There are plenty of good pieces, and some that can be good pieces if they prove themselves. And if you read the draft breakdown, most of the picks that were made were the best of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Then please tell me why he's still our GM still?? Glen Grunwald did a better job with this team than him. Pathetic. This summer it's either break the bank or unload... sick of losing.
No. This summer it's continue the rebuild. Breaking the bank ruins the entire effort, and unloading starts back at square one again.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Dark Knight
ScorchedEarthRebuild

On Jeremy Lin ! Do NOT want !!

I'd rather draft a PG in Marshall, and sign a guy like Nash to mentor him until he's ready.

C Valanciunas
PF Bargnani
SF Free Agent/Trade
SG DeMar DeRozan
PG Nash

I like that team. I think its a team that has a good starting five and would have a great bench to go along with that with guys like James Johnson, Amir Johnson, Ben Uzoh (possibly), and a guy like Kendall Marshall (if we draft him) all coming off the bench.

05-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Edgeworth*

Thanks for the write-up Nemesis. Gives me a bit more hope about the roster. Seems like we just need a starting SG/SF for the future and we'd be ok?

Old
05-22-2012, 03:44 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Thanks for the write-up Nemesis. Gives me a bit more hope about the roster. Seems like we just need a starting SG/SF for the future and we'd be ok?
I have my doubts about Bayless as a long-term proper starter at PG. He seems ideally suited to come off the bench. So realistically we need a replacement for Calderon and a SG/SF. DeRozan might need replacing as well if he can't get his **** together and either average 20 a game or at least do something else like rebound or defend.

But realistically Valanciunas appears to set us at center, Bargnani will be just fine at PF if he can play like he did at his peak last year (even if he doesn't rebound particularly well for his size), and the likes of Davis, Bayless, and the Johnsons all look like valuable rotation guys off the bench. The Raptors do seem far away, but it's mostly because the pieces they've been missing are among the most important.

Old
05-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
On Jeremy Lin ! Do NOT want !!

I'd rather draft a PG in Marshall, and sign a guy like Nash to mentor him until he's ready.

C Valanciunas
PF Bargnani
SF Free Agent/Trade
SG DeMar DeRozan
PG Nash

I like that team. I think its a team that has a good starting five and would have a great bench to go along with that with guys like James Johnson, Amir Johnson, Ben Uzoh (possibly), and a guy like Kendall Marshall (if we draft him) all coming off the bench.
No offense, but how many more years will Raptor fans put "Free Agent" as a part of the starting lineup before the message clicks?

What good SF FA will come here at this point?

Old
05-22-2012, 04:50 PM
MrLegend28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
There's nothing special about Jeremy Lin. He had a few good games, and he blew up because it was New York. Aaron Gray dropped a double double, one game, no one wants to see him get a massive pay raise. The guy is over-rated and IMO, should actually be doing a bit better with the rest of the team around him.
using advanced stats you could argue Lin is better than Rondo.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:08 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
Small sample size.

Also of note, I added 2 bits of info to the player eval post. First is that all the signed players have their contract lengths listed now. Second is that for every player signed for the coming year (plus JV) I've listed their probable role for the coming season, plus a long-term best and worst case scenario.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:21 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
Lol.. Really? I don't care the way you put it, but you watch one game of NBA basketball and it's not hard to see Rondo is three times the player Jeremy Lin is.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Anybody know when the lottery is? I have tried searching on Google, but haven't been able to find it.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:10 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Anybody know when the lottery is? I have tried searching on Google, but haven't been able to find it.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/key-nba-dates

May 30 (a week from Wednesday)

Old
05-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

One of my co-workers said the RAPS will make the playoffs next season. He says they're due for a playoff run.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Buckleys

Quote:
One of my co-workers said the RAPS will make the playoffs next season. He says they're due for a playoff run.
Well I compare it a little to my Senators this year (waits for stones thrown), need Alfredsson and the vets to rebound, young guys to improve, Maclean to be a good coach, etc. A healthy Bargnani and taking a step forward, improvements from some younger guys like DeRozan, how Valanciunas and this years pick perform, and most importantly, what Colangelo does this summer. I think he has a great opportunity to add one or two young guys around 24-25 that could have a solid impact on this team. Then again fairly new to this, so maybe Nemsis will pick this apart but we will see I suppose

Old
05-23-2012, 12:22 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
Well I compare it a little to my Senators this year (waits for stones thrown), need Alfredsson and the vets to rebound, young guys to improve, Maclean to be a good coach, etc. A healthy Bargnani and taking a step forward, improvements from some younger guys like DeRozan, how Valanciunas and this years pick perform, and most importantly, what Colangelo does this summer. I think he has a great opportunity to add one or two young guys around 24-25 that could have a solid impact on this team. Then again fairly new to this, so maybe Nemsis will pick this apart but we will see I suppose
Nah, this is pretty accurate. The team needs a few things to go right, but there's no reason they couldn't sneak into the playoffs in the 7-8 spot next year. Whether or not that's a good thing yet is debatable, but it's possible. Considering that last year saw the Raptors exceed their 10-11 win total in far fewer games (66 game short sched vs the full 82) and that they did it multiple important pieces (chiefly Bargnani, but also Calderon, Bayless, and Gray) missing 20%+ of the season. Tack on Valanciunas and hopefully some continued development/progress out of DeRozan (who I'm hoping some time on the US Selects squad will refine his defensive focus and teach him to get to the basket more and not shoot stupid 3s) and Davis (who needs to assert himself more) and there's no real reason they couldn't make a 10-12 win improvement and get in under the wire.

Personally I'm not entirely a fan of this. Depending on the lottery balls, the Raptors could get shafted by this draft and end up missing out on any of the potentially useful players (getting stuck with a project or an ill-fitting piece). So they might need one more year in the top 10 of the draft to really sort things out and solidify the roster moving forward.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:23 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...place-mid-june

The league expects an arbitration ruling in mid-june on whether or not players who were claimed on waivers retain their Bird Rights with their new team.

Why is this important to the Raptors?

the result of said ruling will matter to you depending on which side of the "Raptors should get Jeremy Lin" debate.

If you are Pro-Lin, you want the ruling to prevent teams from getting Bird Rights on players acquired via waivers. If that happens, the Knicks will not be able to go over the cap to keep Lin and it will make it easier for outside teams to poach him by offering a contract that exceeds New York's allotted cap space.

If you are Anti-Lin, you want Bird Rights to remain intact for players claimed on waivers. That way the Knicks will be free to spend whatever they want to match incoming Lin offers.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:04 PM
William Hylander
There can be only 1

vCash: 431
Quote:

I disagree with some of your analysis on Valanciunas. It was a bit little for our best asset. There are several things I want to say, but honestly the worst case I see with him is Marcin Gortat. A big Center whom is a very efficient scorer in the paint, has a alright outside shot but nothing special. A good free throw shooter for a big man. Rebounds well. Defends average. Your above average center in the NBA.

The problems with him right now (the bad) is he is not physically big enough to go toe to toe with the prime time centers. He can get into foul trouble. Doesn't have much of an outside game. Can have trouble defending centers whom are a bit bigger.

The good: He is extremely efficient scoring and he shows signs that he may be able to develop a good outside shot, heck maybe even a 3 point shot that the defense needs to be aware of. Good free throw shooter. He has a great post hook shot with both his left and right. Plays a good pick and roll game. Excellent rebounder, this combined with his scoring give us a second chance finisher. He has room to grow into his body. His defense is above average for a guy his age playing against men much older.

The ugly: He might need the right point guard in order to be effective in the NBA, like Steve Nash and Gortat.

He'll probably be our most efficient scorer by far next year. It's just is he a #3 option or a #1-2 on a champ.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:44 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I disagree with some of your analysis on Valanciunas. It was a bit little for our best asset. There are several things I want to say, but honestly the worst case I see with him is Marcin Gortat. A big Center whom is a very efficient scorer in the paint, has a alright outside shot but nothing special. A good free throw shooter for a big man. Rebounds well. Defends average. Your above average center in the NBA.

The problems with him right now (the bad) is he is not physically big enough to go toe to toe with the prime time centers. He can get into foul trouble. Doesn't have much of an outside game. Can have trouble defending centers whom are a bit bigger.

The good: He is extremely efficient scoring and he shows signs that he may be able to develop a good outside shot, heck maybe even a 3 point shot that the defense needs to be aware of. Good free throw shooter. He has a great post hook shot with both his left and right. Plays a good pick and roll game. Excellent rebounder, this combined with his scoring give us a second chance finisher. He has room to grow into his body. His defense is above average for a guy his age playing against men much older.

The ugly: He might need the right point guard in order to be effective in the NBA, like Steve Nash and Gortat.

He'll probably be our most efficient scorer by far next year. It's just is he a #3 option or a #1-2 on a champ.
admittedly Valanciunas' write-up was the most skeletal and the most uninformed. I've never really had much opportunity to see him play, so I was basing it off of a handful of scouting reports and just playing a little bit more to hype.

So thanks for the more accurate info.

Old
05-27-2012, 08:26 PM
MLSE

Quote:
Hopefully he's Nash's agent.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:41 AM
Hyperglide

Kinda OT but I just think this is too awesome.. This has to be the Raps hype song next year. It's raw and dirty..

Closed Thread