HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Butler

View Poll Results: What is Bobby Butler's future with Ottawa?
Butler is part of the long term future of the Senators 10 9.90%
Butler is only useful to fill in while better prospects develop 63 62.38%
Not a part of the future; trade him for assets ASAP 28 27.72%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 500
add him to Nash package

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:09 PM
sens2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
add him to any package
fixed

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:09 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

he'll be gone by the end of the year. Either waivers or trade.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Iamok
#Panic

If you were to ask me which Senator I care about least of all, it'd be this guy.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:35 PM
zeddyp

I'd give him till the trade deadline if he plays well see what you can get for him

If he plays REALLY well slot his ass in the lineup

if he plays bad ship him to the baby-sens till his contract expires

zeddyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:41 PM
SpezDispenser

He might be a really high priced member of Bingo next year.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:05 PM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
He might be a really high priced member of Bingo next year.
That would actually be really good for Bingo. I hope he plays there instead of sitting in the press box if he's not traded

KarlssonMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Rumcajs

I would say this is his last year but i hate to give up on players. Ottawa has a history of trading players too early in their careers.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:39 PM
carsonscave
Rookie User

As strong as his first year with the Sens was as weak was his second. Hopefully it was a sophomore slump or a slow adaptation to a new system. I still believe this guy has second line potential, at this point I think higher end prospects will be pushing him out of the line up.

carsonscave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Bobby gon' prove all the haters wrong. Book it.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:21 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
Bobby gon' prove all the haters wrong. Book it.
yip. i think he'll have a bounce back year. maybe not anything earth shattering, but solid.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:11 PM
MAK19

Sens don't need him to fill spots this year even without signing anyone in free agency. There's enough bodies.

Butler has the potential to score 40 points in the league. Unfortunately, those are 2nd/3rd line tweener numbers, and I see him only putting up those points with top six players/Spezza. 40 point players in the top 6 of good teams are also useful in other aspects of the game, they're good defensively and what not. Not Butler.

I don't see Butler just immediately being inserted into the top 6 and producing those numbers, he'd need to start from the bottom 6 and work his way up and/or show some growth and development. Being in the bottom 6 is not a good idea for Butler, and he's just not good enough for the top 6 on a good team.

So his opportunity if he gets one will come with a bad team who is weak on the wings. He's pretty much useless to a team trying to compete, as he was last year.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:21 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Despite having a disappointing sophomore year, one thing that happened with Bobby is that he was forced into a 4th line role and thus made to improve on his two way game. He got a lot better in his own zone it seemed and he might be able to actually be part of the bottom 6 on a regular basis if he comes into next season IN SHAPE. He probably took too much time off last summer after a VERY long season, hopefully that's not the case now. His shot can keep him in this league. When he's on, he's practically Phil Kessel-lite. Just needs to finish more regularly and maybe get a bit luck with those posts he often hits.

With everyone now more excited about guys like Stone, Zibanejad and Silfverberg, he'll probably fly in under the radar and do well next season. Still lots of potential there. If he doesn't, he'll probably be waived at some point to give him a shot somewhere else, some team who are more desperate for goals.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:26 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Despite having a disappointing sophomore year, one thing that happened with Bobby is that he was forced into a 4th line role and thus made to improve on his two way game. He got a lot better in his own zone it seemed and he might be able to actually be part of the bottom 6 on a regular basis if he comes into next season IN SHAPE. He probably took too much time off last summer after a VERY long season, hopefully that's not the case now. His shot can keep him in this league. When he's on, he's practically Phil Kessel-lite. Just needs to finish more regularly and maybe get a bit luck with those posts he often hits.

With everyone now more excited about guys like Stone, Zibanejad and Silfverberg, he'll probably fly in under the radar and do well next season. Still lots of potential there. If he doesn't, he'll probably be waived at some point to give him a shot somewhere else, some team who are more desperate for goals.
He has limited potential because he's just not close to the skater that Kessel is. And he can't play in the bottom 6, because he's not big, he's not fast, he doesn't kill penalties, he's not physical and has limited two-way potential despite improvement.

Dump the guy to CBJ already

Old
06-30-2012, 11:37 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
He has limited potential because he's just not close to the skater that Kessel is. And he can't play in the bottom 6, because he's not big, he's not fast, he doesn't kill penalties, he's not physical and has limited two-way potential despite improvement.

Dump the guy to CBJ already
That's a little harsh. Butler's skating was very poor to begin the year. He looked out of shape but he got it back near the mid way point. After that he was pretty effective in the limited role he was given. Konopka and him started generating a lot of offense from the 4th line for a span and Butler got another shot on the top line and looked decent again. Lines got juggled and Greening was back up.

Anyways, my point is that Butler's speedy enough to make him useful in the bottom 6. You're not giving him enough credit for his skating. It is definitely above average NHL skating. He could really improve his board play just by adding some strength. We'll see if he's now able to offseason like a pro and be physically ready from Day 1 of training camp. If he doesn't, he won't be around next year to try it again.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:44 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
That's a little harsh. Butler's skating was very poor to begin the year. He looked out of shape but he got it back near the mid way point. After that he was pretty effective in the limited role he was given. Konopka and him started generating a lot of offense from the 4th line for a span and Butler got another shot on the top line and looked decent again. Lines got juggled and Greening was back up.

Anyways, my point is that Butler's speedy enough to make him useful in the bottom 6. You're not giving him enough credit for his skating. It is definitely above average NHL skating. He could really improve his board play just by adding some strength. We'll see if he's now able to offseason like a pro and be physically ready from Day 1 of training camp. If he doesn't, he won't be around next year to try it again.
I don't know... He definitely needs proper conditioning to have any kind of chance like you say. Regardless of skating, he just doesn't have a skill set that suits the bottom 6... there's a reason why he wasn't a regular in the playoffs last year.

imo: not skilled enough for the top 6, doesn't have a style suited for the bottom 6. He'll spend his career floating around bad teams and putting up ~40 points or be a complete bust. Look at the bottom 6 on successful teams, not Butler style players

Old
06-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Butler is pretty good IMO. His overall game is underrated.

His offensive skills are good but they're not the same style as Spezza's. Spezza is go for the perfect play and take a chance or three along the way and hope for the best. Butler likes to make good, safe passes and shoot when he has a reasonable angle.

One problem is that he is a lot like Condra. Where Condra is a bit better defensively while Butler is a bit better with the puck. My only hope is that Stone clearly beats both of them. I would be unhappy if we shipped our college RWers for no reason when they're actually pretty good.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:04 AM
McFist
@*$&$#!!

I just don't see him exceeding other players in any category. In whatever role we have him play, we have enough depth that somebody is going to do it better. Unless he's going to play his way onto the top line this year I expect he's done here.

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:54 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post
I just don't see him exceeding other players in any category. In whatever role we have him play, we have enough depth that somebody is going to do it better. Unless he's going to play his way onto the top line this year I expect he's done here.
Pretty much this.

I think Butler is simply not cut out for the NHL. He's 25 years old, and he hasn't shown he can consistently beat out other players for ice time. He's got good hands, a good shot, and that's about it. His skating is average, his offensive instincts don't stand out, his defensive awareness is below average, and his strength is below average. He simply doesn't bring enough to the table to last in the NHL.

07-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Pretty much this.

I think Butler is simply not cut out for the NHL. He's 25 years old, and he hasn't shown he can consistently beat out other players for ice time. He's got good hands, a good shot, and that's about it. His skating is average, his offensive instincts don't stand out, his defensive awareness is below average, and his strength is below average. He simply doesn't bring enough to the table to last in the NHL.
This is borderline libel... he was one of our most effective even-strength players last year, outscored the opposing team by a factor of 30% with the entire season considered. His Corsi metrics are good too, didn't play much with our best players either.

He is better than average with every objective measure of overall skill.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:14 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
This is borderline libel... he was one of our most effective even-strength players last year, outscored the opposing team by a factor of 30% with the entire season considered. His Corsi metrics are good too, didn't play much with our best players either.
This is one of many good examples why the baseball nerd stuff doesn't apply well to hockey.

Quote:

This, I can agree with.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:21 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:

Borderline libel? Really?

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:18 AM
McFist
@*$&$#!!

Quote:

If he was really that effective any more than just on paper, he would have earned himself a regular spot in the lineup. Right now he's a stopgap measure with signs of that ever-elusive "potential."

Old
07-01-2012, 02:46 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post
If he was really that effective any more than just on paper, he would have earned himself a regular spot in the lineup.
Obvious fallacy. What I'm saying is that Paulrus is making a mistake to bury Butler when he can play good. You can't proclaim Paulrus is infallible in his personnel choice just to fit your end of the argument.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:32 AM
McFist
@*$&$#!!

Quote:
Obvious fallacy. What I'm saying is that Paulrus is making a mistake to bury Butler when he can play good. You can't proclaim Paulrus is infallible in his personnel choice just to fit your end of the argument.
To fit my end of the argument? Really? Without proclaiming the infallibility of any member of the coaching staff, I fully choose their analysis over your stat crunching. Your "objective measure of skill" doesn't and hasn't translated into on-ice performance. In fact, you showed earlier how hard you had to stretch to justify his play. And to say that he's been buried really isn't accurate at all. He saw plenty of first line time this year and was no better than ordinary. Actually, ordinary on a good shift, invisible otherwise.