Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Modem/Router Combo

08-13-2013, 08:41 AM
vCash: 500
Modem/Router Combo

I'm picking up internet in my new place this weekend, and am trying to figure out if it's better just to outright buy a modem/router as opposed to leasing them from Comcast. It seems ridiculous to pay for them per month for the rest of my life when I can just buy them..

Any suggestions on a combo that works and is relatively inexpensive? I won't be doing any expansive gaming. The most would be downloading rosters and that's it. My place is a studio so it doesn't need a ton of range either. Any help would be great!

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
08-14-2013, 12:38 AM
vCash: 67
Motorolla SB141 or 121 are the holy grails of Modems and have been for many years now. If you plan on having Comcast for more than a year it is absolutely worth it.

As for a router any open source capable router from a company you trust will do. Probably whatever Cisco router is $50 or so at the moment is okay but I haven't looked into routers in years. Flash DD-WRT or Tomato or whatever peaks your interest onto it and it will last you 10 years.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote