HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Assassin's Creed 3

Old
01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
No, you're totally right.

the fact that this game's setting and world were fantastic.

The naval combat was arguably the best part of the entire game. It was designed fantastically and was a very temporary break from the game if you wanted it to be (Church aside). You didn't have to do the naval side missions.

Yes, Connor was a weak character, and things like reaction fighting (wolves) were unnecessary, but most of your criticisms are very weak.
I agree that the Naval combat was pretty fun! upgrading the ship and heading out looking for the pieces of map etc was a pretty fun side adventure. I like the options of having the side missions/games to slow the progression of the game and making it less linear and spurring on more exploration.

the hunting was decent but felt like they were trying to mimic red dead redemp a bit with that aspect.

Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
My biggest grief is that I only just realized (In Sequence 9) that the Homestead crap is sequence specific. So now I have to start over and go through the childhood garbage again.

As for the villains, I think Lee is pretty damned dislikable. Connor is pretty bland, and I'm getting tired of everyone going out of their way to babble on about how naive he is whenever he opens his mouth.

01-03-2013, 04:07 PM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
My biggest grief is that I only just realized (In Sequence 9) that the Homestead crap is sequence specific. So now I have to start over and go through the childhood garbage again.

As for the villains, I think Lee is pretty damned dislikable. Connor is pretty bland, and I'm getting tired of everyone going out of their way to babble on about how naive he is whenever he opens his mouth.
I thought the concept of going out and recruiting this "dream team" of people whom you don't realize will eventually be your targets was an incredible and unique way of introducing the villains.

Lee was dis-likable, Haytham they had your form an attachment with and I personally thought he'd end up good.

Just looking at the pyramid of templars in Achilles' basement and realizing you had essentially helped build them earlier in the game was very neat.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Yes, that was damned cool.

I'm probably going to do it all over again before I finish my first playthrough because of this homestead mess.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:47 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

I'm probably going to do it all over again before I finish my first playthrough because of this homestead mess.
Homestead stuff is sequence specific, but you can pile them all up at the end. I did nearly all of it in sequence 11. There's probably a quest somewhere out there that you cannot find.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Homestead stuff is sequence specific, but you can pile them all up at the end. I did nearly all of it in sequence 11. There's probably a quest somewhere out there that you cannot find.
Oh, so I can do them all at once if need be? Because it was my plan to do all the sidequests and stuff after I was almost at the end.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:

Yes, Connor was a weak character, and things like reaction fighting (wolves) were unnecessary, but most of your criticisms are very weak.
I don't see it...
I'm looking at it from an angle of someone who enjoyed AC and AC2 immensely, mostly because - if played that way - it was a hell of a stealth-based game with properly developed story and a character that felt like he did what he did for obvious reasons.

So, in short, again:
- I'll rephrase myself on the setting, it's not uninteresting by default (especially to this part of Europe who grew up on Bonelli comics based on that settiing), but it was done badly.
Like it or not, there was no right or wrong there (imagine if today a new island was discovered, USA sent its troops and people there, and then they decided they wanted to be independent.... How'd the US react?), but the English are portrayed as the bad guys 99% of the time.
But my biggest beef with the whole thing is that Connor grew up with the Indians, he has zero motivation to side with anyone there, yet countless times he helps this person and that for no apparent reason, so much so - like I said - even the writers didn't know what to say anymore at some points - Connor's replies to people asking him that is "does it matter?"
My favorite completely ridiculous situation was when Haythem picks up a letter at George Washington's place, tells Connor GW ordered an attack on his village and then Connor throws a hissy fit and tells them both he won't speak to them anymore. Really? Why Haythem?
Or, ouh ouh, another one is when you get to the village and you find out Charles Lee was there.... And then your life long buddy and companion who you grew up with attacks you based on the word of a complete stranger without ever giving you the chance to explain anything.
What the HELL?

I'm sorry, but the writing was shoddy and lazy, and just served a purpose of setting the stage for more action, instead of the story being the goal itself.

- the characters are weak and not developed and introduced properly...Yeah, Haythem was cool, but the rest are just too many, too shallow and too forgettable
- naval battles are great... but what the hell are they doing in my stealth based assassin game... I nearly gave up on the game when it had naval bits in the main plot... It's not "hard", it's just not something I want to do in a supposedly stealth-based action game.
- the mini games, crafting, twitch based wild animal combat etc.... unnecessary and dull...

There's just so much stuff thrown in and the core of the franchise was watered down because of it.

Like Yahtzee from Escapist said, at some point it's like you wanna ask:
"Hey, Assassin's Creed 3, when do I get to stab people?"
AC3:"What's with you and stabbing people in an Assassin's Creed game?"
You:"What's with you and NOT stabbing people?????"

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:12 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

the miner and lumberers were a major pain in the ass for the encyclopedia got so pissed lol.

01-04-2013, 02:49 PM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I don't see it...
I'm looking at it from an angle of someone who enjoyed AC and AC2 immensely, mostly because - if played that way - it was a hell of a stealth-based game with properly developed story and a character that felt like he did what he did for obvious reasons.

So, in short, again:
- I'll rephrase myself on the setting, it's not uninteresting by default (especially to this part of Europe who grew up on Bonelli comics based on that settiing), but it was done badly.
Like it or not, there was no right or wrong there (imagine if today a new island was discovered, USA sent its troops and people there, and then they decided they wanted to be independent.... How'd the US react?), but the English are portrayed as the bad guys 99% of the time.
But my biggest beef with the whole thing is that Connor grew up with the Indians, he has zero motivation to side with anyone there, yet countless times he helps this person and that for no apparent reason, so much so - like I said - even the writers didn't know what to say anymore at some points - Connor's replies to people asking him that is "does it matter?"
My favorite completely ridiculous situation was when Haythem picks up a letter at George Washington's place, tells Connor GW ordered an attack on his village and then Connor throws a hissy fit and tells them both he won't speak to them anymore. Really? Why Haythem?
Or, ouh ouh, another one is when you get to the village and you find out Charles Lee was there.... And then your life long buddy and companion who you grew up with attacks you based on the word of a complete stranger without ever giving you the chance to explain anything.
What the HELL?

I'm sorry, but the writing was shoddy and lazy, and just served a purpose of setting the stage for more action, instead of the story being the goal itself.

- the characters are weak and not developed and introduced properly...Yeah, Haythem was cool, but the rest are just too many, too shallow and too forgettable
- naval battles are great... but what the hell are they doing in my stealth based assassin game... I nearly gave up on the game when it had naval bits in the main plot... It's not "hard", it's just not something I want to do in a supposedly stealth-based action game.
- the mini games, crafting, twitch based wild animal combat etc.... unnecessary and dull...

There's just so much stuff thrown in and the core of the franchise was watered down because of it.

Like Yahtzee from Escapist said, at some point it's like you wanna ask:
"Hey, Assassin's Creed 3, when do I get to stab people?"
AC3:"What's with you and stabbing people in an Assassin's Creed game?"
You:"What's with you and NOT stabbing people?????"

I've only played a few evening but these are my gripes. The story is interesting and graphics amazing, but so far there's been way more story than gameplay. The missions I've been have have been too narrowly focused and not violent enough. The AC sandbox that drew me in with the previous games has been missing.
If I want a good story and great graphics, I'll watch a movie. With an AC game I want to stab people.

And anyone else get the feeling that the guys responsible for this game just happened to be up late the night before decisions were made watching Last of the Mohicans?

hoss75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:59 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
the miner and lumberers were a major pain in the ass for the encyclopedia got so pissed lol.
That's like the biggest glitch in the game, i have every entry filled out but i didn't get the achievement for it

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Ezio and Altair seemed to be in control, knew what to do, and could get crap done on their own; if I remember correctly, Altair went from being a pawn to being in control. Someone would tell Ezio something, and he'd say "I know what to do." Someone tells Connor something, and he asks "what should I do?" Also, being a late-adolescent Ezio learning the ropes was more fun than wasting time as a freaking child.

Connor strikes me as being generally weaker, and thoroughly dependent on others to guide his hand or completely bail him out. I don't like that, because it means I feel like I'm less in control by extension.

Anyone else get that vibe?

Old
01-04-2013, 10:24 PM
kingsboy11
Thank You Landon

Quote:
Ezio and Altair seemed to be in control, knew what to do, and could get crap done on their own; if I remember correctly, Altair went from being a pawn to being in control. Someone would tell Ezio something, and he'd say "I know what to do." Someone tells Connor something, and he asks "what should I do?" Also, being a late-adolescent Ezio learning the ropes was more fun than wasting time as a freaking child.

Connor strikes me as being generally weaker, and thoroughly dependent on others to guide his hand or completely bail him out. I don't like that, because it means I feel like I'm less in control by extension.

Anyone else get that vibe?
maybe a little bit. I like connor fine, but Ezio was the man. Ezio and connor were sort of similar, both of them had family members murdered so they each had a vengence in them, but Ezio had way more experience than connor. So maybe thats why I like Ezio more.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsboy11 View Post
maybe a little bit. I like connor fine, but Ezio was the man. Ezio and connor were sort of similar, both of them had family members murdered so they each had a vengence in them, but Ezio had way more experience than connor. So maybe thats why I like Ezio more.
And Ezio wasn't cocky and arrogant like Connor was

Old
01-05-2013, 03:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Yeah, he is kind of an entitled brat. I restarted the game before even beating it, and they are laying some groundwork for why Connor is so mysteriously pro-Colonist. They give you like 10 minutes with Sam Adams and then never touch it again...not the best way to do it. On my first playthrough I had to take a couple days off, so I completely forgot about the one simple mission with Sam.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I don't see it...

So, in short, again:
What the HELL?

I do agree with you on alot of your points. I found that this story line didnt absorb me as much. I have played every AC game so far and this one fell flat on the story line. I did enjoy the game and actually finished it yesterday (only have time to play on my days off which have not been many this holiday season). I did enjoy the change in period though and how large the areas were. The wolf, cougar, bear, and elk attacks were annoying though but it was kind of nice to have another option of gaining money then finding random chests everywhere. I think they had a decent outline of the game but did not expand the story line or dialogues enough to draw most AC users deep enough into the character and story.

As for the Navel battles, homestead missions, change of time period/location etc. I found it enjoyable as I stated before but I think these side missions may of been added to freshen up the series and/or draw more people into the game....because if it was the same structure and time period as AC1 AC2 etc all the critics and luke warm AC fans would be complaining that it is the same old AC game, nothing has changed and its just a recycled game etc.

Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Everyone forgets that Ezio was already in his 40s in Assassin Creed II so he had a ton of experience while Connor was only in his 20s. So naturally, he wasn't as smart as Ezio. I don't know how old Altair was in ACI, though.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:35 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Everyone forgets that Ezio was already in his 40s in Assassin Creed II so he had a ton of experience while Connor was only in his 20s. So naturally, he wasn't as smart as Ezio. I don't know how old Altair was in ACI, though.
Later in the game he was, but you start the game with Ezio somewhere in his late teens/early 20s. You play through a decent portion of the game with him being fairly young while learning the ropes of being an assassin.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Altair was in his mid-20s, he was at a high level at that age because he was a prodigy.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:53 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Later in the game he was, but you start the game with Ezio somewhere in his late teens/early 20s. You play through a decent portion of the game with him being fairly young while learning the ropes of being an assassin.
and Ezio doesn't really join the Brotherhood till the end of the game, right before he goes to Rome

Old
01-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
With an AC game I want to stab people.
Exactly.

Also, a MAJOR flaw (for me) was the lack of actual assassinations/fights with antagonists.

In AC1/AC:2/AC:B (Revelations was completely forgettable for me), you either assassinated or fought your targets. You did the work.

Here?
Spoiler warning:
Spoil:

Haythem? Cut scene, you press a button.
Lee? You catch him, cut scene, he dies.
That Indian guy? Cut scene.
etc etc.

The game doesn't even let you resolve your own conflicts.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:19 PM
akademiks

Thinking about this while reading the thread, who would win between Altair, Ezio and Connor in a fight (at the same age)?

Altair was the prodigy.

Ezio trained with Mario.

Connor from Achilles.

???

akademiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Same age I'd assume Altair wins. Everyone probably kills the hell out of Connor.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:46 AM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

Is it possible to use Altair's outfit for a full playthrough when u start as Connor?

Old
01-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

So I haven't played this game since I beat it in November. What else is there to play? I already completed all the view points. Do the assassinate missions just keep adding every time you complete one?

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
So I haven't played this game since I beat it in November. What else is there to play? I already completed all the view points. Do the assassinate missions just keep adding every time you complete one?
I haven't touched it since I beat it as well. I remember AC2 I played that multiple times and how fun it was. Maybe because I never played an open world game like that before.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote