HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Assassin's Creed 3

Old
10-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Is this story going to be connected to the previous releases? I've always despised the story in AC (its one of the worst I can think of) but the setting and improvements overall to the gameplay does make it look a bit more fun.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
Thinking of getting this just for the multiplayer. Looks fun as hell.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Arguably my favorite part of the series. Mainly cause Im in to the whole conspiracy thing.
Same. Love all of the deeper implications.

Meanwhile, I love the Desmond story as well, for those talking about that aspect.

Also, thought Brotherhood was much better than Revelations; sad to say I never finished Revelations. Might pick it up and play through, now that I have nothing else to steal my attention, but something just felt stale/less engrossing with that entry. I was desperately wanting to see what happened with Desmond after the ending of Brotherhood, but Revelations just didn't live up to the standard set, for me.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 03:51 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post

Meanwhile, I love the Desmond story as well, for those talking about that aspect.

Also, thought Brotherhood was much better than Revelations; sad to say I never finished Revelations. Might pick it up and play through, now that I have nothing else to steal my attention, but something just felt stale/less engrossing with that entry. I was desperately wanting to see what happened with Desmond after the ending of Brotherhood, but Revelations just didn't live up to the standard set, for me.
I think the biggest problem with Revelations was the lack of real life story. My favourite parts of the AC games is always taking a break from the animus and forwarding the conspiracy story in real life. Revelations deviated from that with the animus island stuff.

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Prairie Habs

So there are like four or five different pre-order bonuses depending on where you get it? Which one do you guys think is the best?

Prairie Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:14 AM
kingsboy11
#CalderCuporbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post

agree with everything above. I liked revelations fine, but I thought it was short and just didn't seem as fun. Brotherhood I felt there was just a lot more you can do.

I tried the desmond animus thing, but didn't find it interesting.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsboy11 View Post
agree with everything above. I liked revelations fine, but I thought it was short and just didn't seem as fun. Brotherhood I felt there was just a lot more you can do.

I tried the desmond animus thing, but didn't find it interesting.
Revelations was... Boring.

The gameplay was good (duh, same as in AC2 and Brotherhood), but the setting just wasn't as well done (and I'm a huge fan of Hagia Sophia and old Constantinopol), the antagonist were bland and forgettable, the whole Ezio plot was bland and forgettable (as opposed to the very memorable Borgias), but worst of all... The mini games.
Whoever thought of that should be sacked.

Den defense and the Animus freaking cube mini games... AWFUL.

No secret riddles like in AC2 (which I loved), etc, but they brought in the freaking minigames... AHAHAHHAAA awful.

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Revelations was... Boring.

The gameplay was good (duh, same as in AC2 and Brotherhood), but the setting just wasn't as well done (and I'm a huge fan of Hagia Sophia and old Constantinopol), the antagonist were bland and forgettable, the whole Ezio plot was bland and forgettable (as opposed to the very memorable Borgias), but worst of all... The mini games.
Whoever thought of that should be sacked.

Den defense and the Animus freaking cube mini games... AWFUL.

No secret riddles like in AC2 (which I loved), etc, but they brought in the freaking minigames... AHAHAHHAAA awful.
Agreed. The Borgia's were great and I missed the riddles and more conspiratorial puzzles that were hidden throughout the Italy of AC:II and Brotherhood.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:54 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

The Revelations story line was indeed pretty bad. I couldn't follow it when I was playing and I'd be hard pressed to explain it to someone now. I can recount the storyline of every other AC game, however.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Six days...Six days...Six days...

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Richie10

People are complaining about the plot? Really?

Do you realize how much painstakingly and perfectly crafted history is crammed into these games? It's unfathomable the amount of ACCURATE historical research goes into making these. It's absurd. Most filmmakers throw together a bunch of crap that sounds like it makes sense and call it a day. Oh, and those films win Academy Awards. Ubisoft actually gives a crap about teaching their audience something. ACII was probably the most educated game I've ever played. Truly remarkable.

But yeah, the Illuminati/Templar stuff. TOO MUCH GUYZ JEEZ

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:04 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
People are complaining about the plot? Really?

Do you realize how much painstakingly and perfectly crafted history is crammed into these games? It's unfathomable the amount of ACCURATE historical research goes into making these. It's absurd. Most filmmakers throw together a bunch of crap that sounds like it makes sense and call it a day. Oh, and those films win Academy Awards. Ubisoft actually gives a crap about teaching their audience something. ACII was probably the most educated game I've ever played. Truly remarkable.

But yeah, the Illuminati/Templar stuff. TOO MUCH GUYZ JEEZ
No doubt they put a large amount of hard work into making the games and researching. But I think that becomes slightly negated when the go down the 'magic alien race before humans route'.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

But they're actually presenting a theory that has historical roots when they do that. It may not be a popular, or mainstream theory but it is a theory that the history they're digging up can be used to support, to an extent. The secret history they're trying to paint exists. A lot of history has been covered up and misrepresented. I'm not saying the ending with the aliens is accurate, but what we're calling "aliens" can just as easily be called "gods" or "angels" and mean the exact same thing. It's not too different from the premise put forth in Prometheus or the comically popular Ancient Aliens. You don't have to agree with it and you can laugh at it if you like as well, but personally, I think it's best to be open minded and I find it plausible. Maybe not in the context of the video games, but in the context put forth in literature such as Chariot of the Gods? Sure.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:15 AM
Belenos

Just received the game here in Switzerland. Don't know why already yet but i'm happy!

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:25 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

If you think any AC game has a great storyline you should get your head checked. Or replay Heavy rain because that game has a terrible story/plot as well and people seem to love that.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
Just received the game here in Switzerland. Don't know why already yet but i'm happy!
I hope you dont take this the wrong way, but I hate you

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Belenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
I hope you dont take this the wrong way, but I hate you
I can understand you. Finished sequence 1, pretty good so far.

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Richie10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
If you think any AC game has a great storyline you should get your head checked. Or replay Heavy rain because that game has a terrible story/plot as well and people seem to love that.
If you're playing AC for the storyline you need to get your head checked. That's like criticizing the Elder Scrolls games for having bad storylines. You're doing it wrong.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
If you're playing AC for the storyline you need to get your head checked. That's like criticizing the Elder Scrolls games for having bad storylines. You're doing it wrong.
The Elder Scrolls game don't have bad storylines(Besides Oblivion that game is hot trash). Morrowind is a great storyline people just apparently have some issue against reading which doesn't surprise me. Doesn't change the fact that AC has a terrible convoluted story that drags on and on. I'm still excited about the game though even with the lackluster gameplay elements the setting looks really neat.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:41 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Ordered it for release-day deliver through Best Buy. I had a ton of rewards certificates.

Problem is, the ****ing hurricane hits here release day . . .

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Richie10

Quote:
The Elder Scrolls game don't have bad storylines(Besides Oblivion that game is hot trash). Morrowind is a great storyline people just apparently have some issue against reading which doesn't surprise me. Doesn't change the fact that AC has a terrible convoluted story that drags on and on. I'm still excited about the game though even with the lackluster gameplay elements the setting looks really neat.
Falling into a red herring debate about the Elder Scrolls games' storylines is irrelevant. The point still stands - none of those games have critically lauded storylines. That's not their selling point. Their selling point is creating an engaging, interactive, rich game world to explore and experience. The same can be said for the AC franchise.

Again, if the primary storyline (Desmond, Abstergo, etc.) is bothering you that much, you may need to ask yourself why you're playing these games. I really can't fathom how you can say something like "AC has a convoluted story that drags on and on." Firstly, which story are you talking about? Altair's, Ezio's, Desmond's? If Desmond's, then I must say you're completely overreacting. ACII contains about 1 1/2 hours of Desmond gameplay/story in a 20+ hour game. If that's all it takes to decry the story as "dragging on and on" then I really don't know what to say.

You wouldn't play Street Fighter II for the compelling plot, right? Would you play Final Fantasy VII for the beautiful visuals? I think not. Most games have strengths and weaknesses and aspects they completely ignore. The AC franchise has always been one that prides itself on creating a historically accurate sandbox experience, which is quite unlike anything else in video gaming. Ubisoft deserves a lot of respect for going with settings like the Third Crusade era Levant and Renaissance era Italy when everyone else in gaming is stuck on aliens, soldiers, and zombies. To trash the games for having a "bad plot" when that isn't even a selling point for the franchise is disingenuous, nitpicky, and quite frankly, really lame. Again, you're doing it wrong.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

vCash: 420
Quote:
No. Just no....

Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:40 PM
MeLoveHockey

Will be stuck in your head the rest of the night.

MeLoveHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLoveHockey View Post

Will be stuck in your head the rest of the night.
I've been humming it throughout the day...

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:08 AM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

I appreciate that the AC games are historically accurate, but that doesn't change my opinion that the Revelations storyline was forgettable.