HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Does anyone know why Jeff Gorton was let go?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2012, 01:16 PM
  #1
Ozamataz Buckshank
Registered User
 
Ozamataz Buckshank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 3,318
vCash: 500
Does anyone know why Jeff Gorton was let go?

so I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Rangers fan and he was talking about how awesome their assistant GM is - Jeff Gorton. I vaguely recalled the name but didn't realize what he managed to do in such a short time. The 2006 draft he got Kessel, Lucic, Marchand, Alexandrov, and Bodnarchuk. He traded Raycroft for Rask and signed Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard. Why the hell didn't we keep him?

Ozamataz Buckshank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:24 PM
  #2
mikek1710
Registered User
 
mikek1710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
so I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Rangers fan and he was talking about how awesome their assistant GM is - Jeff Gorton. I vaguely recalled the name but didn't realize what he managed to do in such a short time. The 2006 draft he got Kessel, Lucic, Marchand, Alexandrov, and Bodnarchuk. He traded Raycroft for Rask and signed Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard. Why the hell didn't we keep him?
I agree with the post, but I don't think he's putting Alexandrov or Bodnarchuk on his resume as career accomplishments

mikek1710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:18 PM
  #3
stungun
Registered User
 
stungun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Portland, ME
Country: United States
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
I think he was just seen as part of the old regime and got caught up in the house cleaning when chia came over, he probably began to see his potential was limited with organization restructuring?

stungun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
  #4
Mainehockey33
27
 
Mainehockey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Maine
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 500
Nascarboard is that way ---->

Mainehockey33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:50 PM
  #5
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 9,046
vCash: 500
I don't think he and Scott Bradley saw eye to eye on a lot, and there was only room for one of 'em.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:18 PM
  #6
FutureConsiderations
Registered User
 
FutureConsiderations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brookline, MA
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,449
vCash: 500
No inside info on this, but my thoughts are that GMs typically don't get the credit for scouting decisions, which you seem to be giving him. They're only peripherally engaged with scouting throughout the season unless they're a bottom-feeding team. Those successes are generally credited to the Amateur Scouting Director.

And the Raycroft-Rask trade... there isn't a GM in the league who would have said no to this. The Leafs offered it, he said yes.

Chara signed because of Chiarelli and so did Savard. You don't sign a multi-year deal because the interim GM sold his vision to you. I think Savard even accidentally admitted as much in an interview.

As for why he was let go, it could be that he was too closely associated with the MOC years or it could be that he wanted to move into a role that allowed more growth opportunity. No one aspires to the an Assistant GM, they all want to be the big boss.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:33 PM
  #7
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 9,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
As for why he was let go, it could be that he was too closely associated with the MOC years or it could be that he wanted to move into a role that allowed more growth opportunity. No one aspires to the an Assistant GM, they all want to be the big boss.
What about assistant to the traveling secretary?


GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:36 PM
  #8
FutureConsiderations
Registered User
 
FutureConsiderations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brookline, MA
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
What about assistant to the traveling secretary?




"Listen, bub. I get Mr. Chiarelli his grande four-pump soy extra hot chai latte with whipped cream EVERY MORNING. From Harvard Square. Don't **** with me, I'm a powerful man."

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:50 PM
  #9
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 18,077
vCash: 500
"you tell that son of a ***** no ranger is ever comin' to dallas! not as long as you ******** are running things!"

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:14 AM
  #10
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster
 
Random Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Spooner Street
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,556
vCash: 500
Gorton was underrated imo. The drafts that he was involved in seemed better.

Probably him and Chiarelli had different views on things. Atleast Chiarelli replaced him with Jim Benning, who is well regarded.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:27 AM
  #11
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
so I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Rangers fan and he was talking about how awesome their assistant GM is - Jeff Gorton. I vaguely recalled the name but didn't realize what he managed to do in such a short time. The 2006 draft he got Kessel, Lucic, Marchand, Alexandrov, and Bodnarchuk. He traded Raycroft for Rask and signed Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard. Why the hell didn't we keep him?
Let`s call a spade a spade here, having received comfirmation from a few posters here whom are very much "on the beat" shall we say, when it comes to drafting and picks, the GM`s rarely are the one`s who make them, the GM`s aren`t out there 365 watching propsects play, more often than not from what I have been led to believe, the scouts gather with the GM, put on the table whom they are high on, and who they think would fit, the GM gets the final say, but I would suggest that most of the kudos/blame should be on the scouts for picking busts/gems.

Isn`t this scouting staff relatively the same as it was under Gorton/O`Connell other than Benning??

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:30 AM
  #12
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
No inside info on this, but my thoughts are that GMs typically don't get the credit for scouting decisions, which you seem to be giving him. They're only peripherally engaged with scouting throughout the season unless they're a bottom-feeding team. Those successes are generally credited to the Amateur Scouting Director.

And the Raycroft-Rask trade... there isn't a GM in the league who would have said no to this. The Leafs offered it, he said yes.

Chara signed because of Chiarelli and so did Savard. You don't sign a multi-year deal because the interim GM sold his vision to you. I think Savard even accidentally admitted as much in an interview.

As for why he was let go, it could be that he was too closely associated with the MOC years or it could be that he wanted to move into a role that allowed more growth opportunity. No one aspires to the an Assistant GM, they all want to be the big boss.

I agree, but careful Future, your gonna get the "Chia wasn`t part of the Bruins yet" crowd here saying the Z/Savvy signing was all Gorton, truth be known, we all know that Z makes absolutely no move to Boston without the presence of Chia whom he became very familiar with in Ottawa

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:05 AM
  #13
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,777
vCash: 500
Maybe someone remembers this more clearly than I do, but didn't Gorton actually interview for the job too? I'd imagine it's hard to pass a guy over for a promotion and then have him reporting to the guy they chose over him.

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:06 AM
  #14
MTaylorJ1
Registered User
 
MTaylorJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
Gorton was underrated imo. The drafts that he was involved in seemed better.

Probably him and Chiarelli had different views on things. Atleast Chiarelli replaced him with Jim Benning, who is well regarded.
Honestly, I attribute almost every good draft pick they made to Dore, the main scout in the "Q". Have to believe he was responsible for Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand. Lucic came from Bradley's area. The other draft picks during that era left a lot to be desired to be honest. Stuart, Lashoff, Morrison, Lars Jonsson.

Let's also not forget that even as a Rangers Assistant GM. He had a hand in taking McIlrath over Fowler. AKA the Mark Stuart pick part deux.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:01 PM
  #15
Judge Smails
How 'bout a Fresca?
 
Judge Smails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bushwood CC
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
"Who do you want to take?"
"The Swede."

Judge Smails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:44 PM
  #16
ORRMAN
Registered User
 
ORRMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,196
vCash: 500
He left to become the Gorton's Fisherman. He's living in Gloucester.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:02 PM
  #17
Kirk- NEHJ
Registered User
 
Kirk- NEHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CAV Country!
Country: United States
Posts: 12,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Honestly, I attribute almost every good draft pick they made to Dore, the main scout in the "Q". Have to believe he was responsible for Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand. Lucic came from Bradley's area. The other draft picks during that era left a lot to be desired to be honest. Stuart, Lashoff, Morrison, Lars Jonsson.

Let's also not forget that even as a Rangers Assistant GM. He had a hand in taking McIlrath over Fowler. AKA the Mark Stuart pick part deux.

You are absolutely incorrect.

I know Daniel Dore well, but if it were up to him, the Bruins would not have drafted Bergeron. I know that one for a fact.

Krejci was more Nik Bobrov's and Sven Svensson's call than anyone else.

Don't know who was primarily responsible for Brad Marchand- I heard Dore had a big hand with him, but so did the crossover guys. Bruins moved up to get him, so credit for that kind of move usually goes to the director (Scott Bradley) because he's the one who looks the GM in the eye and recommends he do it.

Bradley doesn't have an "area" by the way. As the team's amateur scouting director back then and even today as player personnel chief, he went/goes all over the globe to see players. He just happened to be home recovering from cancer in 2005 and caught onto Lucic while he was at home and unable to travel in the first few months of that season. Otherwise, who knows if Lucic would have been drafted by Boston?

There is a reason that Bradley, Adam Creighton and Svensson are the only holdover scouts from the previous regime. They produced and earned the new GM's trust. That's the story here, IMO- not assumptions about who did what nine years ago and such.


Last edited by Kirk- NEHJ: 02-16-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.