HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Does anyone know why Jeff Gorton was let go?

Old
02-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

vCash: 500
Does anyone know why Jeff Gorton was let go?

so I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Rangers fan and he was talking about how awesome their assistant GM is - Jeff Gorton. I vaguely recalled the name but didn't realize what he managed to do in such a short time. The 2006 draft he got Kessel, Lucic, Marchand, Alexandrov, and Bodnarchuk. He traded Raycroft for Rask and signed Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard. Why the hell didn't we keep him?

Ozamataz Buckshank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:24 PM
mikek1710

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
so I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Rangers fan and he was talking about how awesome their assistant GM is - Jeff Gorton. I vaguely recalled the name but didn't realize what he managed to do in such a short time. The 2006 draft he got Kessel, Lucic, Marchand, Alexandrov, and Bodnarchuk. He traded Raycroft for Rask and signed Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard. Why the hell didn't we keep him?
I agree with the post, but I don't think he's putting Alexandrov or Bodnarchuk on his resume as career accomplishments

mikek1710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:18 PM
stungun

I think he was just seen as part of the old regime and got caught up in the house cleaning when chia came over, he probably began to see his potential was limited with organization restructuring?

stungun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Mainehockey33

Nascarboard is that way ---->

Mainehockey33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:50 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I don't think he and Scott Bradley saw eye to eye on a lot, and there was only room for one of 'em.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:18 PM
FutureConsiderations

No inside info on this, but my thoughts are that GMs typically don't get the credit for scouting decisions, which you seem to be giving him. They're only peripherally engaged with scouting throughout the season unless they're a bottom-feeding team. Those successes are generally credited to the Amateur Scouting Director.

And the Raycroft-Rask trade... there isn't a GM in the league who would have said no to this. The Leafs offered it, he said yes.

Chara signed because of Chiarelli and so did Savard. You don't sign a multi-year deal because the interim GM sold his vision to you. I think Savard even accidentally admitted as much in an interview.

As for why he was let go, it could be that he was too closely associated with the MOC years or it could be that he wanted to move into a role that allowed more growth opportunity. No one aspires to the an Assistant GM, they all want to be the big boss.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:33 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
As for why he was let go, it could be that he was too closely associated with the MOC years or it could be that he wanted to move into a role that allowed more growth opportunity. No one aspires to the an Assistant GM, they all want to be the big boss.
What about assistant to the traveling secretary?

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:36 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
What about assistant to the traveling secretary?

"Listen, bub. I get Mr. Chiarelli his grande four-pump soy extra hot chai latte with whipped cream EVERY MORNING. From Harvard Square. Don't **** with me, I'm a powerful man."

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:50 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

"you tell that son of a ***** no ranger is ever comin' to dallas! not as long as you ******** are running things!"

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Gorton was underrated imo. The drafts that he was involved in seemed better.

Probably him and Chiarelli had different views on things. Atleast Chiarelli replaced him with Jim Benning, who is well regarded.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:27 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
Let`s call a spade a spade here, having received comfirmation from a few posters here whom are very much "on the beat" shall we say, when it comes to drafting and picks, the GM`s rarely are the one`s who make them, the GM`s aren`t out there 365 watching propsects play, more often than not from what I have been led to believe, the scouts gather with the GM, put on the table whom they are high on, and who they think would fit, the GM gets the final say, but I would suggest that most of the kudos/blame should be on the scouts for picking busts/gems.

Isn`t this scouting staff relatively the same as it was under Gorton/O`Connell other than Benning??

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:30 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
No inside info on this, but my thoughts are that GMs typically don't get the credit for scouting decisions, which you seem to be giving him. They're only peripherally engaged with scouting throughout the season unless they're a bottom-feeding team. Those successes are generally credited to the Amateur Scouting Director.

And the Raycroft-Rask trade... there isn't a GM in the league who would have said no to this. The Leafs offered it, he said yes.

Chara signed because of Chiarelli and so did Savard. You don't sign a multi-year deal because the interim GM sold his vision to you. I think Savard even accidentally admitted as much in an interview.

I agree, but careful Future, your gonna get the "Chia wasn`t part of the Bruins yet" crowd here saying the Z/Savvy signing was all Gorton, truth be known, we all know that Z makes absolutely no move to Boston without the presence of Chia whom he became very familiar with in Ottawa

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:05 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Maybe someone remembers this more clearly than I do, but didn't Gorton actually interview for the job too? I'd imagine it's hard to pass a guy over for a promotion and then have him reporting to the guy they chose over him.

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:06 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
Gorton was underrated imo. The drafts that he was involved in seemed better.

Probably him and Chiarelli had different views on things. Atleast Chiarelli replaced him with Jim Benning, who is well regarded.
Honestly, I attribute almost every good draft pick they made to Dore, the main scout in the "Q". Have to believe he was responsible for Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand. Lucic came from Bradley's area. The other draft picks during that era left a lot to be desired to be honest. Stuart, Lashoff, Morrison, Lars Jonsson.

Let's also not forget that even as a Rangers Assistant GM. He had a hand in taking McIlrath over Fowler. AKA the Mark Stuart pick part deux.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Judge Smails
How 'bout a Fresca?

"Who do you want to take?"
"The Swede."

Judge Smails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:44 PM
ORRMAN

He left to become the Gorton's Fisherman. He's living in Gloucester.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Honestly, I attribute almost every good draft pick they made to Dore, the main scout in the "Q". Have to believe he was responsible for Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand. Lucic came from Bradley's area. The other draft picks during that era left a lot to be desired to be honest. Stuart, Lashoff, Morrison, Lars Jonsson.

Let's also not forget that even as a Rangers Assistant GM. He had a hand in taking McIlrath over Fowler. AKA the Mark Stuart pick part deux.

You are absolutely incorrect.

I know Daniel Dore well, but if it were up to him, the Bruins would not have drafted Bergeron. I know that one for a fact.

Krejci was more Nik Bobrov's and Sven Svensson's call than anyone else.

Don't know who was primarily responsible for Brad Marchand- I heard Dore had a big hand with him, but so did the crossover guys. Bruins moved up to get him, so credit for that kind of move usually goes to the director (Scott Bradley) because he's the one who looks the GM in the eye and recommends he do it.

Bradley doesn't have an "area" by the way. As the team's amateur scouting director back then and even today as player personnel chief, he went/goes all over the globe to see players. He just happened to be home recovering from cancer in 2005 and caught onto Lucic while he was at home and unable to travel in the first few months of that season. Otherwise, who knows if Lucic would have been drafted by Boston?

There is a reason that Bradley, Adam Creighton and Svensson are the only holdover scouts from the previous regime. They produced and earned the new GM's trust. That's the story here, IMO- not assumptions about who did what nine years ago and such.

Last edited by Kirk- NEHJ: 02-16-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote