HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do we have

Old
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
VFL615*

vCash: 500
What do we have

What do we have when Craig Smith shots that hit the posts start going in the net.
He has to have the record for any player on the team hitting the post in a season already. IMO he has the skill and speed to be a stud. Not a Corey Perry or Stamkos but a very good player with skill. Is there a player that he could be a force with? example: Kane/Toews
What do you guys think?

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Drake744
Resident Jones Homer

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
What do we have when Craig Smith shots that hit the posts start going in the net.
He has to have the record for any player on the team hitting the post in a season already. IMO he has the skill and speed to be a stud. Not a Corey Perry or Stamkos but a very good player with skill. Is there a player that he could be a force with? example: Kane/Toews
What do you guys think?
I personally see him more of a Erat-type with maybe a little more skill, but I think the only player we have that could ever really be classified as a "force" in that type of category, I'd say Wilson. But I wouldn't get ahead of myself.

Last edited by Drake744: 02-15-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:38 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Smith is young but the way i see him developing is someone like Pavelski. Fast, great puck skills, hell of a shot. Probably the farthest thing from hornqvist ive ever seen. Smith can control the play and make the game almost revolve around him. Im really excited to see him develop his game. Kids got talent.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I think once he gets his mental game on track and a bit more mature, he will be a great player. Potentially the best forward we've produced since Radulov. Yes, I think he has the potential to pass Wilson (and that's not a knock on Colin.. he will be great too). Also needs to work on his shot accuracy, especially towards empty nets

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:22 PM
lugnut76

I think Smith has the makings of a nice, but not spectacular, goal scorer. It is hard to compare him to other current predators because his focus on shooting the puck is far removed from most Predator forwards, including Wilson. Most Pred forwards are playmakers who have a pass first mentality and skill set. I think Pavelski might be a good comparison.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Drake744
Resident Jones Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
Smith is young but the way i see him developing is someone like Pavelski. Fast, great puck skills, hell of a shot. Probably the farthest thing from hornqvist ive ever seen. Smith can control the play and make the game almost revolve around him. Im really excited to see him develop his game. Kids got talent.
Fail by me, assuming that's directed at me. I didn't mean Hornqvist I was on the phone discussing him when I typed it haha. I meant to say I see him as a Erat-type with more skill. That may sound stupid to most BUT I see him like Erat boosted up a notch. Both are great skaters, have very good puck control and shots, as well as patience in letting the play unfold when they need to do so. Only thing is Smith is only starting to get his feet wet whereas Erat had probably topped out already. They have differences and yes I know Erat is a winger, but from a skill-set and likely production standpoint I see them as similar as far as current Preds go. Not exactly spot-on, but I don't follow any other teams close enough to make any comparison with other players. Maybe a less physical/well-rounded Dustin Brown?

Old
02-15-2012, 01:58 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

No worries drake I wasn't hating just stating my opinion. Erat isn't a bad comparision, we've all seen smiths passing skills aka that one goal pass where he threaded it to sk (can't remember which game) but it was a FILTHY pass.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
VFL615*

I would agree he is more like an Erat than anyone on the team. Who could he be paired with to get the most out of his skill and also help the other player up his game a notch? A current Pred player or player the Preds could get in the near horizon.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:41 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I think he will end up being a more consistent Erat. Putting up higher numbers than what Erat typically has done. I see him being a 65 pt player with Wilson in their hay days. If Radulov were to join that equation then I think they all would have POT to be PPG players. (Wilson, Smith, Radulov)

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I think he will end up being a more consistent Erat. Putting up higher numbers than what Erat typically has done. I see him being a 65 pt player with Wilson in their hay days. If Radulov were to join that equation then I think they all would have POT to be PPG players. (Wilson, Smith, Radulov)
Imagine in 2 years:

Wilson-Smith-Radulov
SK-(Carter/Pavelski/UFA)-Erat (if the UFA is good enough, he can swtich with smith, but you get the point)
Hornqvist-Fisher-Legwand
Tootoo-Latta-Borque
Spailing/Halischuk

On topic, Smith is a guy who will be a borderline top3/6 forward with a skillset like Erat, though I think a little better. I hope he turns into Pavelski though.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:59 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Imagine in 2 years:

Wilson-Smith-Radulov
SK-(Carter/Pavelski/UFA)-Erat
Hornqvist-Fisher-Legwand
Tootoo-Latta-Borque
Spailing/Halischuk

I knOW! So many sick possibilities. Ill give it a go. This is saying Fisher doesnt resign after next year. And we sign J Staal who is a fa after next season.. Obviously some of these guys will be gone, thats why i have a couple of options at some places.

Wilson-Smith-Radulov
SK-J.Staal-Erat
Hornqvist-Legwand-Beck/Watson
Bourque-Spaling-Latta/Halischuk

Weber-Suter
Ellis-Josi
Blum/Klein-Ekholm

(licks lips)

Old
02-15-2012, 04:13 PM
weeze

Fisher

I don't think there is no way we do not resign Fisher. I think that would be a marketing nightmare! The way the Preds are connected to Country Music and with CU, I just don't see it happening. Plus I like Fisher! I think he is the kind of player that emboldens what being a Pred is about. I think he retires a Pred, as long as he and CU are together.

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Drake744
Resident Jones Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
I don't think there is no way we do not resign Fisher. I think that would be a marketing nightmare! The way the Preds are connected to Country Music and with CU, I just don't see it happening. Plus I like Fisher! I think he is the kind of player that emboldens what being a Pred is about. I think he retires a Pred, as long as he and CU are together.
Fisher's coming back, no doubt about it. Would be the height of stupidity not to. I mean trading Cliff Ronning for Jere Kahrlati stupidity. Old school anyone?

Old
02-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Fisher and Legwand both are, IMO, staying here for the rest of their careers, for better or worse. "Mr. Predator" and "Mr. Underwood" are, in many ways, the soul of this team. I hope they will be our #2 and #3 centers, though i dont care which is which. They aren't a bad pair to have either.

Maybe smith will take that spot above them at #1 C. Maybe he moves to wing and plays a top 6 wing spot. Im happy either way.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Drake744
Resident Jones Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Fisher and Legwand both are, IMO, staying here for the rest of their careers, for better or worse. "Mr. Predator" and "Mr. Underwood" are, in many ways, the soul of this team. I hope they will be our #2 and #3 centers, though i dont care which is which. They aren't a bad pair to have either.

Maybe smith will take that spot above them at #1 C. Maybe he moves to wing and plays a top 6 wing spot. Im happy either way.
I think the key to our future at forward is a really good top 4. If Fisher, Erat, Smith, and maybe Wilson can stay/develop into consistent producers if would be great to surround two additional pieces to that top six puzzle.

P.S. Wilson or Legwand can be interchanged if one so chooses. Or potentially just call it a top 5. Yeah, that's easier.

Old
02-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
I always said that about Dubinsky...eventually he'll stop hitting the post. Unfortunately some guys never do

So you can't assume he'll ever stop. That being said, if he does I think the Preds have an incredible weapon. I love how this kid is always so noticeable. Not just his scoring but his overall effectiveness makes him quite a find.

His mentality is important here. Sometimes guys who have a post issue try too hard and start missing entirely (like ****in Dubinsky ). He has to stay the course.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:01 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I believe Fisher would be back, i was just saying hypothetically

Old
02-15-2012, 10:39 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Fisher's coming back, no doubt about it. Would be the height of stupidity not to. I mean trading Cliff Ronning for Jere Kahrlati stupidity. Old school anyone?
I personally loved Karalahti! One of only two player we ever had who would take a smoke break in between periods, solid biker tats, smuggling charges, hooked on amy's, willing to skate a mile just to have a chance to hit someone, refusing to even play in consolation games, and a serious loathing for rehab. It's exactly what we need on our 3rd pairing now.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:04 AM
tserberis*

Karalahti We would get the Cup with him this year for sure. The guy is just one hell of a life....

You should find his interview about childhood and youth...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote