HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Vapor APX Stick Durability

Old
02-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

vCash: 500
Vapor APX Stick Durability

Just looking for some feedback on the durability of the Vapor APX stick. I want to make sure I'm not throwing away $250 for a stick that is prone to early breakage. So, those that have owned the APX for a while, give me your feedback. Thanks.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:55 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

I've had an APX since Christmas, have used it 2-3 times a week since then, and it has held up really well. Pretty impressed. Hope this helps.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No APX yet because I'm still using my Vapor X:60 since last March. 50-60 ice times and probably 15-20 left before the blade finally gives out. Definitely getting APX next though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Kulluminati

I've had my APX since Christmas it sees about 2-4 hours of action a week and it hasn't suffered any damage yet. There are some marks but I realized its paint from other sticks on mine. It's a sick stick.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:47 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
cool, was thinking of asking the same question since i'd be getting mine mid-march.

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
My 13 year old just broke an APX intermediate right around the 90 day mark.

Another boy on his team broke one after 4 weeks and another after 6 weeks.

Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Is it just me or do teens tend to break sticks a lot quicker than adults? Maybe because every time I see them in the store they're trying to snap sticks off the rack in half.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:25 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Is it just me or do teens tend to break sticks a lot quicker than adults? Maybe because every time I see them in the store they're trying to snap sticks off the rack in half.
Haha yes. I also think a lot of teens are trying to emulate pros, i.e. they've seen the pros really flex their sticks so they are trying to lean into shots to get that stick to flex just as much. It could also have to do with them using INT sticks and getting too strong for them.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Trojan35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
Just looking for some feedback on the durability of the Vapor APX stick. I want to make sure I'm not throwing away $250 for a stick that is prone to early breakage. So, those that have owned the APX for a while, give me your feedback. Thanks.
Had it since release. Toe is starting to chip but other than that it's in great condition. I don't do a lot of slap shots or slashing though, all wrist/snappers. Holds up surprisingly well on faceoffs.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevener View Post
My 13 year old just broke an APX intermediate right around the 90 day mark.

Another boy on his team broke one after 4 weeks and another after 6 weeks.
Intermediate sticks are a whole different story. They're really not strong enough for the kids that are using them. I bought an intermediate One95 a while back because it was like $50 new. I snapped it in half on the fifth shot.

Good to hear that the senior models seem to be holding up pretty well. I purchased one today. Will let everyone know how it goes.... Still can't get over the fact that I spent almost $300 on a stick.

Old
02-15-2012, 07:15 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
They either as others said try to emulate NHL'ers or brake it on purpose if they do not like the stick.

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
i got mine for 60$ but it was stick-fixed, (broken but put back together professionally) and I havent used it much but it's still intact.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:22 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
wait a minute, the Int. ones break more often? that scares me a bit since i'll be getting an Int... I'm pretty strong and likes to lean a lot but i'm short and would have to buy an int. 67 flex to achieve my desired 77 - 80 flex

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
I think Pez68 may have a point. All the boys on my kids team are very strong for their age. We see a stick break once a month or so.

We always went by the Weight / 2 = Flex but seeing how many sticks break, I think we'll go Senior next time. BTW my kid is 13, weighs 125.

Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No intermediate sticks do not break more often. I'm an adult, 5'8, 200 pounds and like I said I've had my X:60 since last March, playing 50+ games with it.

I've owned probably close to a dozen intermediate sticks and the only one I've broken was an early release high end stick I was reviewing for a small company. And that stick had walls as thin as many pro stocks, far thinner than any retail stick I've seen outside of last year's Reebok 10k.

What will make a stick break more often is if you have terrible technique. If you use a stick too long and too stiff and then hit the ice 1-2 feet ahead of the puck to get it to flex, it creates far more stress on the stick than necessary.

For those of you with teens, how long are their sticks on skates? When they're taking slappers, are they contacting the ice a few inches before the puck or a foot or more?

Old
02-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
No intermediate sticks do not break more often. I'm an adult, 5'8, 200 pounds and like I said I've had my X:60 since last March, playing 50+ games with it.

I've owned probably close to a dozen intermediate sticks and the only one I've broken was an early release high end stick I was reviewing for a small company. And that stick had walls as thin as many pro stocks, far thinner than any retail stick I've seen outside of last year's Reebok 10k.

What will make a stick break more often is if you have terrible technique. If you use a stick too long and too stiff and then hit the ice 1-2 feet ahead of the puck to get it to flex, it creates far more stress on the stick than necessary.

For those of you with teens, how long are their sticks on skates? When they're taking slappers, are they contacting the ice a few inches before the puck or a foot or more?
I don't know... Those sticks are only supposed to flex so much. You overflex them, and they snap. If you're too tall/strong/heavy for the flex on the stick, it's more prone to snapping. The intermediates, just by sheer design, and having more flex, are going to have thinner walls. Or am I wrong on that? I don't have much experience with them, unlike you, but that seems like it would be the case to me. I really lean into my snapshots, and have a really hard shot, so even a 77 flex cut down a little feels too whippy to me. I'm only around 5'10 and 190 lbs. It's really all about how much you load the stick.

Old
02-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They don't have thinner walls, they have different ply layups/orientation.

At 5'10 77 flex is perfect, or 87 flex if you're strong and/or use a longer stick. I'm 5'8 and use a short stick. We're probably not far off in terms of relative flex.

It depends on the teen though. If you're 12-13 and 5'6, you're in an intermediate. If you're 15-16 and 5'10 and up, you're in a senior.