HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

George Hainsworth Vs. Bernie Parent

View Poll Results: George Hainsworth Vs Bernie Parent
George Hainsworth 3 14.29%
Bernie Parent 18 85.71%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2012, 09:54 AM
markrander87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider View Post
I didn't see this discussion in the ATD thread (I only check once every few days). Can somebody either direct me to that discussion and/or summarize the case for Hainsworth here? Thanks.

It begins on page 5 of the ATD V thread.

Honestly this all started because when I drafted Hainsworth I was completely oblivious to the fact that he had such a strong playoffs in 1930. He still holds the record for consecutive shutout streak in the playoffs, and in those playoffs (1930) it is really only challenged by Sawchuk as the best performence (numbers wise at least) for a goaltender.

I dug deeper into Hainsworths playoff performences and there were numerous games in which he'd take Montreal into 3 and even 4 overtime periods in 1-0 and 2-1 wins.

Montreal wasn't dominating games 4-0 3-0 3-1 etc.. these were very close low games that Hainsworth should get a lot more credit for. I didn't even know he had the 1930 retro conn Smythe prior to drafting him, and to be honest I dont feel 99% of the ATD.HOH community knew he did either.

The comparison with Parent started because both goalies had such a high peak and Hainsworth was laughed at if he was mentioned in the same breath as Parent.

I realize Parent also has a couple other good seasons (save % etc..) but i'm really wondering what makes Hainsworth so far away from Parent?

I honestly feel that Hainsworth has the regular season longevity over Parent:

His NHL years started when he was 31 years old, he played sr. in Ontario (which Canadiens 1958 was helpful in explaining why. money etc..)

He played 3-4 years in pro hockey out West winning 1st All star in 1926 and also was consistently in the league leaders for wins, GAA and shutouts.

He then went to Montreal and Won the three Mastersons (vezinas) which people are not giving him any credit for because of the team he played for as opposed to his play.

He apparently finished 2nd to Worters several times in All star voting, although we still have nothing showing this. Even if thats the case it's still 2-3 years as the 2nd best goalie in the world as a 32-36 year old.

He then went on to play for Toronto and played in a all star game in 1934 and had several very good years for Toronto as well.

Overall he has a longer and very similar playoff record to Parent as well.

I'm not argueing Parents peak (he had 2 incredible years) but overall is there that much seperating the two goalies in overall value?

When you look at their entire careers should there really be 220 spots in the ATD seperating them with Hainsworth being selected 13th goalie spots after Parent?

Last edited by markrander87: 02-20-2012 at 10:53 AM.
markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:13 AM
markrander87

IN 1975-76 THE FLYERS MADE IT TO THE CUP FINALS WITH WAYNE STEPHENSON AS THEIR NUMBER 1

Is there a reason why nobody has mentioned this? Was Parent injured? or was he not playing well?

Stevenson played 6X more games in the regular season and then split the games in the Playoffs with Parent. Parent was 30 years old at this time.

If the Flyers could make it to the cup finals with Wayne Stephonson, why does Hainsworth get punished for playing for a good team and yet this goes unmentioned?

IN 1976-77 PHILADELPHIA WENT WITH STEPHENSON OVER PARENT

Why is this?

Parent was only 31. Was he being outplayed by Stephenson?

Old
02-20-2012, 11:57 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
IN 1975-76 THE FLYERS MADE IT TO THE CUP FINALS WITH WAYNE STEPHENSON AS THEIR NUMBER 1

Is there a reason why nobody has mentioned this? Was Parent injured? or was he not playing well?

Stevenson played 6X more games in the regular season and then split the games in the Playoffs with Parent. Parent was 30 years old at this time.

If the Flyers could make it to the cup finals with Wayne Stephonson, why does Hainsworth get punished for playing for a good team and yet this goes unmentioned?

Why is this?

His play in the playoffs does seem to suffer a startling decline after the second cup win.

I'd be interested if anyone knows the specifics, too.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:28 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:

I actually thought to myself to go through the couple years prior to Hainsworth playing for the Habs and then the years during his career and breakdown the GAA etc.. but thought all that work would fall on deaf ears.

This is great work man, I really appreciate the discussion.
I think we can all agree that Hainsworth was a much better goalie than Herb Rheaume or Frenchy Lacroix. I would hope he was better than a guy who goes around calling himself "Frenchy."

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:31 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:

Why is this?

From Parent's hockey-reference page:

September, 1975: Missed majority of 1975-76 due to a back injury in training camp, September 1975.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I would hope he was better than a guy who goes around calling himself "Frenchy."
Interestingly enough - or perhaps not - Alphonse Lacroix was born in Massachusetts.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:37 PM
markrander87

Quote:
From Parent's hockey-reference page:

September, 1975: Missed majority of 1975-76 due to a back injury in training camp, September 1975.
So that explains the regular season?? What about both the playoffs from that year and 1976-77??

Old
02-20-2012, 01:39 PM
markrander87

Quote:
I think we can all agree that Hainsworth was a much better goalie than Herb Rheaume or Frenchy Lacroix. I would hope he was better than a guy who goes around calling himself "Frenchy."
And the flyers were so good in the late 70's that Wayne Stephenson could fill parents spot and be a 2x All-star. :0

Old
02-20-2012, 11:03 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
His play in the playoffs does seem to suffer a startling decline after the second cup win.

I'd be interested if anyone knows the specifics, too.
It is pretty obvious that Stephenson took over from Parent. Pretty interesting considering Parent was only 30 at the time.

Old
02-21-2012, 04:01 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
So that explains the regular season?? What about both the playoffs from that year and 1976-77??
He was out for the 1976 playoffs as well. I am not sure about 1977.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:12 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
He was out for the 1976 playoffs as well. I am not sure about 1977.
Better check again. Parent split these playoffs with Stephenson, Stephenson with the better GAA.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/PHI/1976.html