HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cam Fowler

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2012, 10:32 PM
  #1
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,302
vCash: 500
Cam Fowler

Fowler is a huge part of my team in a sim league. I live in Quebec so I don't have the chance to watch games of your team so I have to rely on stats. And when I look at the stats, it doesn't look good for Fowler. But he keeps playing more than 20 minutes a game. So, what's going on with him? Is he improving his defense? Is it a sophomore jinx? Or is he just unlucky?

thanks for the info.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 10:34 PM
  #2
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,137
vCash: 500
It's the struggles of youth. He has all the tools to be a top defenseman.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 10:43 PM
  #3
Daz28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,246
vCash: 500
His lack of PP points makes him look as bad as the excess of them makes Nick Lidstrom look good. As the Ducks and their PP get better, so will his stats. His defensive game is rounding him out as a player. He's making way less of the stupid defensive errors he was last year even though his +/- doesn't show it. I think he's a good example of why you don't always go by the stats section of the Sunday paper to make your judgements on a player.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 10:49 PM
  #4
DuckJet
I love Monabae
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 40,143
vCash: 69
It's also a reflection on how poorly the Getzlaf line is playing. That's who he plays with the most.

His offensive production can be summed up best with a Boudreau quote (gonna paraphrase) "I don't care if he doesn't get another point, we're going to make him a good defender" the focus this year is obviously on his defense. His offense will follow with his maturity.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 10:55 PM
  #5
Emerald Duck
Registered User
 
Emerald Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
Fowler is a huge part of my team in a sim league. I live in Quebec so I don't have the chance to watch games of your team so I have to rely on stats. And when I look at the stats, it doesn't look good for Fowler. But he keeps playing more than 20 minutes a game. So, what's going on with him? Is he improving his defense? Is it a sophomore jinx? Or is he just unlucky?

thanks for the info.
Stats can be deceiving as I'm sure you know. Fowler is part of the Ducks top pairing with Beachemin, so he still gets top pairing minutes and 1st unit PP time (though Beach is just a minutes machine, especially on the PK).

Early in the year when the Ducks as a team were probably -40 on goal differential, Fowler was often getting too many minutes against other teams top lines, and his stats suffered. He was probably -20 or so during this time playing 23-25 mins per night. Visnovsky was out with a broken finger, and Fowler was relied upon to pick up some extra minutes.

Since Boudreau took over, Fowler has been asked to improve his defensive game with slightly fewer minutes. Visnovsky came back, and Sbisa's game has really improved over the last few months, which took a lot of pressure off Fowler. His skating, puckhandling and breakout passes are still excellent. He is still trying to develop more strength as his biggest weakness is muscling with opponents to tie up sticks around the crease. Early in the season opponents were racking up quick goals in succession, and many times it was due to a breakdown on the forward's defensive assignment or a soft goal let in by Hiller. IMO a lot of his +/- stats were due to bad luck and poor team performance.

Offensively, the Ducks PP continues to struggle, so a lot of Fowler's production has dropped off as well. As a playmaker dman, he needs others to bury their chances, and even though the team is climbing up the standings, they are still winning games 2-1 with an occasional outburst. A few weeks ago the team was fighting with the LA Kings for bottom in goals scored in the Western Conference.

Emerald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:50 AM
  #6
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19,297
vCash: 500
I think his defensive game has improved quite a bit, despite his -20...i think that's more a reflection of him NOT generating any offense and playing against top lines, he's got to find a way to get his confidence back offensively.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:58 AM
  #7
nbducksfan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
I think his defensive game has improved quite a bit, despite his -20...i think that's more a reflection of him NOT generating any offense and playing against top lines, he's got to find a way to get his confidence back offensively.
this is fairly accurate - i think his defense had improved as we would have hoped, he still makes some bad mistakes (as would be expected due to his youth).

but what has been disappointing is his offense has seemed to regress a bit. However, I have no doubt it is normal growing pains and he will put it all together in the next couple years.

nbducksfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:47 PM
  #8
Fallenity
Registered User
 
Fallenity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Sometimes I get the feeling that he tries too often to make the "best" play while a simple pass would do. Ends up costing turnovers, but otherwise I think he's been very good (or at least better than in the beginning of the season).

Don't know if its his confidence that's bothering him, but the positive effect of BB can clearly be seen otherwise.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:35 AM
  #9
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Here's a better question, how the **** did the ducks get this guy with the 12th pick in the entry draft. He was a steal of the century.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:42 AM
  #10
Elever
Hth
 
Elever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,484
vCash: 500
He played very well at the beginning of the season I thought for around 20 games. This is a good sign, young dmen if they can show that they're good early on will develop the consistency later.

I wouldn't worry about offense because the Ducks offense hasn't been that great and he's also played tough minutes with Beuch so tough to get offense going that way. From this season, at least there are somewhat defensive improvements which will allow him to play big minutes going forward so yeah....a guy to get for fantasy hockey.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:50 AM
  #11
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 8,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
Sometimes I get the feeling that he tries too often to make the "best" play while a simple pass would do. Ends up costing turnovers, but otherwise I think he's been very good (or at least better than in the beginning of the season).

Don't know if its his confidence that's bothering him, but the positive effect of BB can clearly be seen otherwise.
Since he`s still young, just stepped into his 3. decade as a human being, he just plays it to the maximum.

I believe that with experience he will play smarter and he will be good!

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:33 AM
  #12
AmericanRocket91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Anaheim
Country: United States
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
There is no reason for Fowler to be this bad. The fact that Beauchemin plus/minus keeps improving and Fowlers keeps falling doesn't make sense to me. As of right now I'd say Sbisa is better than Fowler.

AmericanRocket91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:14 AM
  #13
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,137
vCash: 500
He's only a -1 in 2012. That's a good sign, I guess.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:39 AM
  #14
Paul4587
Moderator
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 14,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRocket91 View Post
There is no reason for Fowler to be this bad. The fact that Beauchemin plus/minus keeps improving and Fowlers keeps falling doesn't make sense to me. As of right now I'd say Sbisa is better than Fowler.
Sbisa is playing the best hockey he's ever played and Fowler is slumping yet it's Fowler that is still getting top pairing minutes with Beauchemin against the other teams top players. I think that's all that really needs to be said when people want to argue that Sbisa is the better overall player.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:08 AM
  #15
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Sbisa is playing the best hockey he's ever played and Fowler is slumping yet it's Fowler that is still getting top pairing minutes with Beauchemin against the other teams top players. I think that's all that really needs to be said when people want to argue that Sbisa is the better overall player.
That's a reflection of who Fowlers partner is, Sbisa logs alot of the difficult PK mins. There's no other way to slice it than, Sbisa has been the better player this season. Fowler will bounce back but I think we're also all excited about where Sbisa is going the way he played in OT vs the Devils, wow I hope we can match him with a stud defensive D soon he is no longer "thinking" he is reacting and is letting his natural ability kick in

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:51 AM
  #16
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Sbisa is playing the best hockey he's ever played and Fowler is slumping yet it's Fowler that is still getting top pairing minutes with Beauchemin against the other teams top players. I think that's all that really needs to be said when people want to argue that Sbisa is the better overall player.
Haven't watched the games, but that's not true based on the minutes recently.

Of the last 5 games Sbisa has had more EV minutes than Fowler in 3 games (the last 2 and the 5th game). The 3rd and 4th games prior they had similar EV minutes.

Fowler ends up with more total minutes in some, but not all, games because he plays 1st unit PP. Sbisa gets some 2nd unit PP and some 2nd unit PK duty.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:36 PM
  #17
Gliff
Wild Bill
 
Gliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
He played very well at the beginning of the season I thought for around 20 games. This is a good sign, young dmen if they can show that they're good early on will develop the consistency later.


I wouldn't worry about offense because the Ducks offense hasn't been that great and he's also played tough minutes with Beuch so tough to get offense going that way. From this season, at least there are somewhat defensive improvements which will allow him to play big minutes going forward so yeah....a guy to get for fantasy hockey.
During November he was (in my opinion) our best defender. But that wasnt saying much considering how bad we sucked.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRocket91 View Post
There is no reason for Fowler to be this bad. The fact that Beauchemin plus/minus keeps improving and Fowlers keeps falling doesn't make sense to me. As of right now I'd say Sbisa is better than Fowler.
Typical Hf thought. 1 player is slumping, 1 player is playing the best hockey of his career.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:31 PM
  #18
swissexpert
Registered User
 
swissexpert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Sbisa is playing the best hockey he's ever played and Fowler is slumping yet it's Fowler that is still getting top pairing minutes with Beauchemin against the other teams top players. I think that's all that really needs to be said when people want to argue that Sbisa is the better overall player.
Don't want to take part in the Fowler vs. Sbisa discussion again, but your argument isn't a very good one. Just because Sbisa's on the 2nd pairing while Fowler is on the 1st doesn't automatically mean he's worse. Or do you think the reason for Selanne to not be on the top line is that he isn't one of our 3 best forwards?
I'm ok with Beauch/Cam as 1st and Vis/Luca as our 2nd pairing, but the main reason for that is because off/def off/def is better than off/off and def/def.
Further, they want Fowler to be our franchise D in the future and he needs to get accomplished to that role and its pressure. Demoting him wouldn't really make sense, it could even break his confidence. IMO, that's also the reason he's still on the 1st PP unit despite an awful performance there.
He has all the tools needed for that heavy role and I think he'll bounce back very soon!


Last edited by swissexpert: 02-19-2012 at 01:40 PM.
swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:18 PM
  #19
tANNERRRR*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Why argue Sbisa vs Fowler? We have two young, talented defenders with extremely high upsides. Sbisa is better defensively and Fowler is better offensively. End of story. We are going to have a great blue line for years to come

tANNERRRR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:22 PM
  #20
Paul4587
Moderator
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 14,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
That's a reflection of who Fowlers partner is, Sbisa logs alot of the difficult PK mins. There's no other way to slice it than, Sbisa has been the better player this season. Fowler will bounce back but I think we're also all excited about where Sbisa is going the way he played in OT vs the Devils, wow I hope we can match him with a stud defensive D soon he is no longer "thinking" he is reacting and is letting his natural ability kick in
Sbisa has been better the last month, not the whole season. And during that month he's playing his best hockey while Fowler is struggling. Sbisa was unbelievable in OT vs the Devils but he was awful for the first 60 minutes of the game. Sbisa and Visnovsky have played much easier minutes as far as matchups go than Fowler and Beauchemin and it is clearly reflected each pairings respective numbers.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:37 PM
  #21
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 26,171
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRocket91 View Post
There is no reason for Fowler to be this bad. The fact that Beauchemin plus/minus keeps improving and Fowlers keeps falling doesn't make sense to me. As of right now I'd say Sbisa is better than Fowler.
Sbisa is definitely playing better than Fowler right now, but I have a hard time saying Sbisa is the better player. Fowler was flat out our best defenseman to start the season. The kid has shown game-breaking ability. Sbisa has been better the past month and a half or so, and that's really it. Fowler was better last season, and he was better to start the season. Basically, Fowler has been better longer, and only now that he's slumping can we even make the argument that Sbisa is playing better.

Since Boudreau has taken over, Fowler's game just hasn't looked the same. He might be getting more out of Sbisa, but for some reason we seem to be getting less out of Fowler.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:11 AM
  #22
Unagi
Registered User
 
Unagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,407
vCash: 500
Fowler really has not looked too great all season imo. I wonder if Ducks Fans would rather have Gardiner than Fowler?

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:13 AM
  #23
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander
 
Lord Flashheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bananaland crapital
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,188
vCash: 500
No. Way.

Lord Flashheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:20 AM
  #24
Force951
Registered User
 
Force951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Fowler really has not looked too great all season imo. I wonder if Ducks Fans would rather have Gardiner than Fowler?
Not sure what games you have been watching. Fowler has looked good most of the year, his defensive game is really coming around. Yes his offense has been struggling but thats more because he is playing on our top pairing where he needs to worry about D more then offense right now. Its like Sbisa last year, where all the effort is put into D so the offense doesn't flow. But once he gets it down the numbers will start coming again.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:18 PM
  #25
Theridion
Registered User
 
Theridion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,863
vCash: 500
Fowler is averaging just over 1 shot per game.

Point being, i think when he settles into a more offensive role, you'll see more like 2.5/game.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.