Sophomore slump.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Fowler really has not looked too great all season imo. I wonder if Ducks Fans would rather have Gardiner than Fowler?
No. Full stop.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:07 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

I'd think Fowler's numbers would look a whole lot better if the top line was playing anything close to last season, one of the big reasons for Fowler's bad numbers is poor play by a lot of the top line

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Fowler really has not looked too great all season imo. I wonder if Ducks Fans would rather have Gardiner than Fowler?
He was our best defensemen for the first 2 months of the season.

Ask NY Rangers fans if they would rather have MDZ or Fowler and they laugh and say MDZ. Yet last year during MDZs sophmore slump where he wasnt even in the NHL, the would have said Fowler in an instant.

Fowler is in a slump yet he is still playing against top lines at the age of 20. Most players are not int he NHL at 20, like Gardiner.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:49 PM
DarthYenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Sophomore slump.
That's what I've been saying. He's still young, and adjusting to the NHL.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:59 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Fowler has played alot better the last few games, he's eons better than Gardiner defensively and I never thought I'd say that

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:25 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
I didn't want to comment on the game as a whole cause I'd just start a really long, angry rant.

But I thought Fowler was great tonight. He shut down Duchene on two grade-A chances. My favorite one was when he was at least 5 body lengths behind Duchene on a breakaway and he came in last minute and shut Duchene down.

Even the goal he couldn't stop. He did the right thing by dropping down to cut off the passing lane. That way Hiller could mark his man and Duchene wouldn't have gotten the puck, but that aerial pass was filthy and unexpected. And it's a perfect picture of why Fowler's +/- is so low. Boomboom tries to activate before the faceoff dot to either get a huge check in or completely strip a guy of the puck and then he leaves Cam all alone to guard a two on one. That, and all the goals right off of faceoffs that Hiller would let in.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I think he's quietly been one of our best D recently.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Agreed. He's even been picking up his physical play. He also rarely seems flustered.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Paul4587

Fowler was by far our best defenseman tonight and somehow came out a -2. He is the perfect example of why +/- is such a flawed stat.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:44 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Fowler was by far our best defenseman tonight and somehow came out a -2. He is the perfect example of why +/- is such a flawed stat.
Which is impossible to prove to the purists. It doesn't help that he spends much of his time playing with the Getzlaf unit who rarely scores 5 on 5 where +/- is recorded.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Trying to decide between him and Suter in a keeper league deal.

I have Suter, but have the chance to get Fowler. Should I do it? Suter seems like the safe choice while Fowler has all the tools to eventually be a regular 50+ point defenceman with an improving +/-.

Should I play it safe or gamble on Fowler? Please don't be homers and give me a straight answer!

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Trying to decide between him and Suter in a keeper league deal.

I have Suter, but have the chance to get Fowler. Should I do it? Suter seems like the safe choice while Fowler has all the tools to eventually be a regular 50+ point defenceman with an improving +/-.

Should I play it safe or gamble on Fowler? Please don't be homers and give me a straight answer!
What are you getting with Fowler? If it is straight up then I would do it. Especially if he signs with someone like detroit this offseason, that would be huge for you.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:23 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Tough call. You might expect both to have jumps in the near future.

Suter might go to a more offensive team like Detroit and be able to get more points. And he's already quite solid.

Fowler's kind of in a soph slump, so he might be expected to improve in points, minutes, and +/-.

I would lean toward Suter, but it's an interesting question.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:19 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Yeah I'd do it. I love Fowler but I'd do it for Suter. (I already have Keith, Fowler, Liles, Gardiner, Sbisa...really hope Sbisa stays consistent with this offense in my dynasty league)

Old
03-01-2012, 06:24 PM
ducks4grt

I have no idea why people in love with Fowler. I think he is a liability. He turns over a puck every game. His turnovers result in breakaways every single game. His offense is not there, he misses net on every shot etc.... Please do not start with me that he is 20 years old bla blah blah we simply need to trade him while he has any value and move on. Sbisa is emerging and will be a good top 4 very soon. Brookbank is emerging, these guys can be signed for cheap. Trade Fowler and Bobby to Preds for Sutter or Webber and we will be in great shape.

ducks4grt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Paul4587

I'm not sure if you're serious or not. If you are, I won't even bother responding to that garbage.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:45 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

I was about the post the same thing Paul.......no need to respond to it.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks4grt View Post
I have no idea why people in love with Fowler. I think he is a liability. He turns over a puck every game. His turnovers result in breakaways every single game. His offense is not there, he misses net on every shot etc.... Please do not start with me that he is 20 years old bla blah blah we simply need to trade him while he has any value and move on. Sbisa is emerging and will be a good top 4 very soon. Brookbank is emerging, these guys can be signed for cheap. Trade Fowler and Bobby to Preds for Sutter or Webber and we will be in great shape.
He's 20. Most defensemen are in the AHL for another 2-3 years. Lidstrom didn't play in the NHL until he was 21. Chelios was 21. Weber was 20 and didn't crack 40 points until he was 21. Suter was 20 and didn't get to 40 points until he was 23. Chara was 20 and his numbers were horrific until he was 24.

The position that he'll be a bust by the age that top defensemen usually enter the league and struggle on a bottom pairing is.......interesting.

It's unlikely that Nashville would make that trade regardless, unless they flame out in the 1st round. And it requires that you're smarter than Poile, and I think we can all agree that's not the case, as winning it for the Ducks requires you're right and Fowler is a bust (and why would Poile make that trade for a bust) or you're wrong and Fowler isn't a bust, so why dump his ELC?

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:30 PM
ducks4grt

I never said he is a bust. I just think we making him be someone he is not and probably will never be. Everyone forgot who he was compared to last year? well I never expect him to be another Scotty but while he does have offensive potential his defensive game is terrible. He is simply over hyped by fans and Ducks TV commentators as next coming of great defensman. I say his ceiling is Jordan Leopold or Roman Hamrlik good but not that great as you guys make him to be. Look at Kings overhyped Doughty and pay him what????? I really do not want this to be the case with the Ducks thats it.

ducks4grt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

EDIT: Never mind.

Last edited by Lord Flashheart: 03-01-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:28 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 557
Quote:
I have no idea why people in love with Fowler. I think he is a liability. He turns over a puck every game. His turnovers result in breakaways every single game. His offense is not there, he misses net on every shot etc.
by this logic, we should trade getzlaf as well. <---is a far bigger problem since his primary role is to create offense.

gratefulyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
I never said he is a bust. I just think we making him be someone he is not and probably will never be. Everyone forgot who he was compared to last year? well I never expect him to be another Scotty but while he does have offensive potential his defensive game is terrible. He is simply over hyped by fans and Ducks TV commentators as next coming of great defensman. I say his ceiling is Jordan Leopold or Roman Hamrlik good but not that great as you guys make him to be. Look at Kings overhyped Doughty and pay him what????? I really do not want this to be the case with the Ducks thats it.
That's great. Luckily for us it doesn't matter what you say his ceiling is. What matters is what the scouts think, what the analysts think, and what, you know, he is actually capable of. His floor is closer to what you're saying he'll be than his ceiling. We're talking about a player who recently turned 20, and is playing on a top D pairing.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:39 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
Fowler is far from being a problem this year

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote