HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC Japan: Edgar vs Henderson

Old
02-24-2012, 04:08 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Complete opposite for me. Frankie has hearth, but Henderson just about has the best cardio in the UFC. Other thing is, Henderson is probably one 0of the fighters that thinks the most out there, and Edgar has giant holes in his game that he covers up with great speed in his combos. Henderson will win it before the 5th round IMO.
One month avatar bet?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:16 PM
m9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
BTW, has Maynard taken his retirement? What's taking him so damn long to fight again? Most of the top boxers out there have one match set-up after the other, and they earn about 20x the UFC fighter pay. Those long breaks in the UFC are really annoying...
I believe he switched camps to AKA so he is taking extra time off to get used to the new camp and training there.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:21 PM
m9

Both Edgar and Henderson have ways to win this fight, but to me the only key is whether or not Henderson is quick enough to keep up with Edgar. If he's not, he's going to get picked apart for 25 minutes ala Edgar/Penn. If he can keep up, I think he'll win the fight by keeping the pressure on Edgar and cutting down the cage. Grind him down, work for subs and ground and pound from top position.

I'm also assuming Henderson will be able to take and keep Edgar down. If not, things will also get ugly for Henderson because he's not good enough on the feet to hang with Frankie.

I'm picking Henderson, but its purely because I kind of like Henderson. Edgar is the rightful favorite.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:09 PM
RJ8812*

vCash: 500
got a stag & doe to go to tomorrow night so I'm going to miss this card. sucks because it looks like it's going to be a good one

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
"Exposed" is a bit of a stretch, he may end up losing but he certainly won't get exposed. Every guy he beat in the WEC just happened to be good enough to stick around in the UFC post merger. Then he comes here and walks through Bocek, Miller, and Guida, 3 very high level fighters.

Ben may lose this fight buy you are definitely selling him short and the Cerrone comparison is off base.
Well, there was Jamie Varner who got cut before the merger. Still, I agree 100% with the sentiment.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:31 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I wonder if Shields can take Sexy (a man who has never been taken down) down.
Eh, I dunno if I'd put much stock in that stat given that the biggest takedown threats he's faced are probably uber-flakey Denis Kang and/or a lightweight wrestler in Nagata. Given that Shields has managed to take down Dan Henderson and Okami (though he had to work real hard for the latter) I think he should be able to get Akiyama down.

Picks:

Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar (c) vs. Benson Henderson (TKO) -- I think the discrepancy in striking ability plus Edgar's quickness are gonna be the difference here. Henderson's been tagged in a few of his recent fights and I think Frankie's gonna be able to land on him pretty often. Henderson might put him his back a few times but I don't think he'll keep him there. A decision is fairly likely but I'm gonna go with a late TKO for the champ.

Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Ryan Bader (dec) -- don't really think Bader has much to offer in this fight. He hasn't been able to take down anyone whose wrestling is as good as Rampage's and I don't think he's a big threat on the feet either. I kind of expect a similar fight to Rampage's match with Matt Hamill, though maybe a little more competitive.

Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo (KO) -- it's the only morally justified pick to make. But yeah, it's entirely possible and even likely that Kongo grinds out a win like he did vs. Mitrione, but his defence has been letting him down lately and I think Hunt might manage to get some hard shots in and put him on rubber legs. And if he does then he's not gonna mess it up like Pat Barry did.

Welterweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields (sub) -- like I said, I think Shields can eventually get him down (though he may struggle at first) and it wouldn't surprise me if Akiyama is really bad off his back.

Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch (dec) -- probably not gonna be a candidate for FOTN I think Okami can use his jab to keep Boetsch from getting inside and brawling with him and I don't think Boetsch is gonna be able to toss him around like he has other guys either.

Featherweight bout: Hatsu Hioki vs. Bart Palaszewski (dec) -- biggest thing for Hioki is to avoid getting sucked into a stand-up fight, which he's been prone to doing in the past. If he fights smart and can get Palaszewski to the ground then I think he should be able to ride out a solid victory. I'd like to see a nice submission but Palaszewski's a tough guy to finish.

Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon (sub) -- I'm still not convinced that Joe Lauzon can beat guys who manage to survive his initial onslaught. In his losses to Florian and Sotiropolous he looked great in the first round but faded badly after that. Pettis meanwhile has shown that he can go five rounds without losing a beat, and I think he's too good to get finished by Lauzon early. Expecting a sub or TKO finish in the 3rd or maybe late 2nd.

Lightweight bout: Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka (dec) -- only 'cause no one else has picked him and because Gomi has been on such a terrible skid. Mitsuoka's a pretty solid journeyman and I can totally see him wrestling Gomi for 3 rounds. Though betting against Gomi vs another Japanese guy is risky business since he always seems to obliterate them (I think Kitaoka is the only guy who's managed to beat him).

Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Vaughan Lee (dec) -- Kid is about the only guy who's fallen even harder and faster than Gomi and I'm kind of tempted to pick against him as well, but I'll go with him getting the hometown decision in a back-and-forth fight.

Middleweight bout: Riki Fukuda vs. Steve Cantwell (dec) -- Little worried that Fukuda has been out so long with a knee issue, but all other things being equal I think he should be able to handle Cantwell. It'll be sloppy though.

Bantamweight bout: Takeya Mizugaki vs. Chris Cariaso (dec)
Featherweight bout: Zhang Tiequan vs. Issei Tamura (sub)

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Rampage comes in at 211 and just looked miserable. I guess he wasn't kidding when he told Dana he didn't want to know how much he weighed the other day. Might not be a bad idea to throw a little coin on Bader (+210).

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Fanpuck33

And now that Smooth came in on weight, I can go to bed and rest up for tomorrow night.

Bader's gotta be pretty excited. That 20% he's getting from Rampage is twice his base fight salary, haha.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:39 PM
DeathFromAbove

Rampage retires tomorrow, mark my words.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanpuck33 View Post
Bader's gotta be pretty excited. That 20% he's getting from Rampage is twice his base fight salary, haha.
Was just coming here to post that. Just made more money than he did with his win over Brilz without even stepping inside the cage.

And I agree that this very well could be Rampage's last fight. Just the way he's been talking leading up, that he doesn't care if he wins or loses, all he wants to do is put on a show. Hopefully he backs that up.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:47 PM
4thliner*

Luozon's subs are WAY overrated. They look pretty and comes out like a gangbuster on bottom feeders for the easy finish. But he is nuts if he thinks he will "smash" Pettis.

Anthony is way better all around fighter. Even his subs I think are more of a threat to top levels guys who are worried about his striking. Pettis off his back i would say is even more of a threat than Luozon off his back. Can Luozon even sub off his back, never seen it. He is good on top.

Pettis all the way, and I don't think it will be that close.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Rampage retires tomorrow, mark my words.
Well he just challenged Rich Franklin and said he would slap him because Franklin criticized him for missing weight on the Fuel TV weigh in show.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:18 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Luozon's subs are WAY overrated. They look pretty and comes out like a gangbuster on bottom feeders for the easy finish. But he is nuts if he thinks he will "smash" Pettis.

Anthony is way better all around fighter. Even his subs I think are more of a threat to top levels guys who are worried about his striking. Pettis off his back i would say is even more of a threat than Luozon off his back. Can Luozon even sub off his back, never seen it. He is good on top.

Agreed. Pettis is much better off the ground than people think, very active. Just because he doesn't have great wrestling doesn't mean he's not good on the ground. I'm a huge Pettis fan though and he's probably my favorite fighter, so my thoughts are extremely biased.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Spawn

Main card: (PPV)
Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar (c) vs. Benson Henderson
Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Ryan Bader
Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo
Welterweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields
Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch
Featherweight bout: Hatsu Hioki vs. Bart Palaszewski
Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon

Preliminary card (FX):
Lightweight bout: Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Vaughan Lee
Middleweight bout: Riki Fukuda vs. Steve Cantwell
Bantamweight bout: Takeya Mizugaki vs. Chris Cariaso

Preliminary card: (Facebook)
Featherweight bout: Zhang Tiequan vs. Issei Tamura

Spawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:59 PM
End of Line
Human After All

I thought Sexyama did not look healthy at all at the weigh ins, might have been b/c he was tan as hell.

Also;

Quote:
Joe Ferraro ‏ @ShowdownJoe
The only fighter who didn't make weight was "Rampage". Was 5 lbs over and will not give up 20% of his purse. Said camp was tough...

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.

Last edited by End of Line: 02-25-2012 at 12:06 AM.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:01 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Joe Ferraro ‏ @ShowdownJoe
The only fighter who didn't make weight was "Rampage". Was 5 lbs over and will not give up 20% of his purse. Said camp was tough...
Looks like a typo to me

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:08 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Looks like a typo to me
It has to be. Why would he not give up 20%, bc there is no Athletic Commission in Japan?

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
It has to be. Why would he not give up 20%, bc there is no Athletic Commission in Japan?
It was a typo. He corrected it now.

The fight being in Japan just makes it that much better for Bader. Instead of the usual 10% to the fighter and 10% to the commission, he now gets all 20%.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Harikkerk

Rampage's on home turf ;P He's big in Japan, hope he wins. Always hoping for the pride fighters to win.

But really looking forward to the Edgar vs Henderson fight as well. Both's such skilled fighters.

Harikkerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:59 AM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post

I know MMAmath is frowned upon, but Lauzon did stop a guy that Pettis fought to a split decision.

That being said, he definitely fights at a pace that I don't think his body can really keep up with going past the first round. Most guys would gas if they fought like he tends to in the first round.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:29 AM
fong p88

Main card: (PPV)
Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar (c) vs. Benson Henderson
Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Ryan Bader
Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo
Welterweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields
Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch
Featherweight bout: Hatsu Hioki vs. Bart Palaszewski
Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon

Preliminary card (FX):
Lightweight bout: Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Vaughan Lee
Middleweight bout: Riki Fukuda vs. Steve Cantwell
Bantamweight bout: Takeya Mizugaki vs. Chris Cariaso

Preliminary card: (Facebook)
Featherweight bout: Zhang Tiequan vs. Issei Tamura

fong p88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:35 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Prelims apparently start at 4:30 Pacific for anyone wondering. I think that's just the one FB fight and then the ones on FX start at 5.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:22 PM
clarke19

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harikkerk View Post
Rampage's on home turf ;P He's big in Japan, hope he wins. Always hoping for the pride fighters to win.

But really looking forward to the Edgar vs Henderson fight as well. Both's such skilled fighters.
Yeah, about 5 pounds bigger than he should be. Hahaha

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Captain_Cunney

Its refreshing to not see a bunch of stupid comments about rampage missin weight, it seems rampant on other sites. The guys been fighting for an eternity and never once missed weight before, I really don't buy into what franklin is selling. Hopefully rampage gets a chance to shut his mouth down the road.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:16 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptxMorgan View Post
I know MMAmath is frowned upon, but Lauzon did stop a guy that Pettis fought to a split decision.

That being said, he definitely fights at a pace that I don't think his body can really keep up with going past the first round. Most guys would gas if they fought like he tends to in the first round.
He rushed the lower level guys. I highly doubt he tries to rush a striker like Pettis or it could be an easy KO for Pettis via a left hook, a knee, or a shin to the face. He has to take his chances on the ground and see if he can take Pettis' back, no easy task.

I say his chances are slim to none and if it wasn't for the fluky punch to the careless face of the ground novice constant choke victim his last fight, he would not even have been here.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote