Why Have the Bruins Stopped Hitting?

Old
02-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Dennis Bonvie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
[/B]

We always hope for that but it never happens.

NHL officials are among the most inept "professionals" in any field in North America.
It may seem that way because it is by far the most difficult game to call.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

I think the most telling thing is that story where Chiarelli explains that Marchand had meetings with Player Safety SPECIFICALLY about the hit thrown on Salo, and they told him that it was AOK. Then he does it in a game and he's banned for five.

Lucic got a one game for doing something that even Shanahan in his explanation couldn't justify as being dirty. Ference got another three despite no injury and no history. I even look at last night where the Habs were hitting everything and hard (and I respect that, I'm not complaining)... But as soon as the B's do anything at all, they're in the box. They had the first two kills of the game on marginal-to-bad calls.

It's frustrating just to WATCH. I can't imagine what it's like to actually play in that environment. Now Peverley is out and if Marchand suffers yet another bit of discipline? This team is screwed.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:03 AM
jefferson906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

I think the most telling thing is that story where Chiarelli explains that Marchand had meetings with Player Safety SPECIFICALLY about the hit thrown on Salo, and they told him that it was AOK. Then he does it in a game and he's banned for five.

Lucic got a one game for doing something that even Shanahan in his explanation couldn't justify as being dirty. Ference got another three despite no injury and no history. I even look at last night where the Habs were hitting everything and hard (and I respect that, I'm not complaining)... But as soon as the B's do anything at all, they're in the box. They had the first two kills of the game on marginal-to-bad calls.

It's frustrating just to WATCH. I can't imagine what it's like to actually play in that environment. Now Peverley is out and if Marchand suffers yet another bit of discipline? This team is screwed.
I'm usually fairly level-headed when it comes to watching the Bruins, but last night really took the cake for me. My comment was: when the league and officiating crews basically MANDATE that the Bruins be 'kept in line', and in effect neutered, I don't know if I can keep watching. Montreal was allowed to hit everything that moved (except Thomas), while the Bruins were forced to hold up on checks multiple times because of the officials' ultra-low tolerance for anything physical coming from the B's. The early, weak Seidenberg penalties are examples A and B.

If this kind of crap continues, along with the excessive suspensions, B's management needs to go public with a little outrage ala Vancouver or the Habs. Seems to work very well for them.

jefferson906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:11 AM
RussellmaniaKW

I think if anything the Bruins need to start hitting more. In the short term they might take some undeserved penalties, but after a couple weeks of that at least they'll have enough footage to make a legitimate case to the league that there is an unfair bias. They're not going to change anything by playing soft.

RussellmaniaKW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:

Getting screwed by the officials in Montreal has almost always been expected by Bruins teams and management.

However, most of the time when a Bruin player has gotten a suspension, it came to my mind as soon as I saw it the hit might be suspendable. Ference and Marchand for sure, Lucic's hit on Miller also. I think he lucked out.

I'd be shocked if Marchand's hit last night drew a suspension.

Old
02-16-2012, 11:29 AM
TCL40

Quote:
If this kind of crap continues, along with the excessive suspensions, B's management needs to go public with a little outrage ala Vancouver or the Habs. Seems to work very well for them.
Honestly I am to the point where I would like to see frustrated coaches (the crappy, inconsistent reffing hasn't been an issue IMO for Bruins games only). They need to demand the league start holding refs accountable and making sure they are on the same page when it comes to calls.

I do think the league has essentially neutered the team and I agree that the answer right now may be to start hitting everything in sight hard and eventually the refs and the league will back off-they can't suspend the whole team and at some point the league will start to look foolish.

Actually the reffing already looks foolish, but I think it needs a few more Torts like condemnations for terrible officiating.

As a fan the inconsistency is really frustrating, but as a player there just don't seem to be any clear boundaries and this year the boundaries are as clear as mud. Hard to play in those conditions-especially when your game is a physical one.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:19 PM
AnchoRager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Raskolnikov View Post

A Boston Bruin has breathed on another player. This was not an act of self-defense, this was premeditated and malicious. Because of the Bruins' history of scaring other NHL teams, I have decided to give the Bruins a collective 7-game suspension.
Awesome!!

AnchoRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
I think there my be some confusion as to whats a good hit whats not, will a player turn suddenly causing you to board them? will the nhl change their mind as to whats allowed and whats not (I.E marchand hit)
I just don't get how the bruins can come out flying one game and be neutered the next.
It probably has something to do with how each game is officiated. If there was league-wide consistency, it would be easy. But each referee has his own standards, and they're also influenced (I don't think it's conscious, but subconscious) by the teams and the venue.

Last night in Montreal, I think the Bruins realized that when Thornton was boarded (head-first into the glass with a shot between the numbers) and there was no call, and then Seidenberg was called for tripping for pushing someone down, that they were in for a "Montreal, typical" sort of game.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
TCL40

Quote:
It probably has something to do with how each game is officiated. If there was league-wide consistency, it would be easy. But each referee has his own standards, and they're also influenced (I don't think it's conscious, but subconscious) by the teams and the venue.
This is pretty much frustration. I think there have always been questionable calls and I definitely think there is something to the home town crowd influencing some calls, but it seems really bad this year.

Maybe it is the added specter of supplemental discipline and at least on this board fans calling for suspensions of every single hit that results in penalty (okay not exactly every hit but a lot of them). The league is definitely in a transition on what kinds of hits will be tolerated and what kinds won't, but right now refs are inconsistent and players seem confused.

If the league does anything this summer, they should spend it trying to better define the rules and boundaries and really work to get the refs on the same page.

Last nights game was frustrating as much for the calls that weren't being made as the really awful calls that were. Refs were just bad and this isnt' the first game and it isn't limited to Bruins games. I actually wish more coaches and offices would have the balls to call out bad reffing even if it means a fine. There is certainly a right way and wrong way to go about it, and I don't want it to sound like "we lost the game because the refs stunk" whining, but there really does seem to be a problem and lack of any consistency within a game (eg letting the boarding of Thornton go but calling soft penalties on Seids) and between games.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Last night in Montreal, I think the Bruins realized that when Thornton was boarded (head-first into the glass with a shot between the numbers) and there was no call, and then Seidenberg was called for tripping for pushing someone down, that they were in for a "Montreal, typical" sort of game.
May have been no call due to Thorton's weak attempt at embellishment.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:36 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Yeah that was Hab-esque. Might have been my least favorite part of the night.

Except when Corvo came onto the ice in OT. I didn't enjoy that experience.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
This is pretty much frustration. I think there have always been questionable calls and I definitely think there is something to the home town crowd influencing some calls, but it seems really bad this year.

Maybe it is the added specter of supplemental discipline and at least on this board fans calling for suspensions of every single hit that results in penalty (okay not exactly every hit but a lot of them). The league is definitely in a transition on what kinds of hits will be tolerated and what kinds won't, but right now refs are inconsistent and players seem confused.

If the league does anything this summer, they should spend it trying to better define the rules and boundaries and really work to get the refs on the same page.

Last nights game was frustrating as much for the calls that weren't being made as the really awful calls that were. Refs were just bad and this isnt' the first game and it isn't limited to Bruins games. I actually wish more coaches and offices would have the balls to call out bad reffing even if it means a fine. There is certainly a right way and wrong way to go about it, and I don't want it to sound like "we lost the game because the refs stunk" whining, but there really does seem to be a problem and lack of any consistency within a game (eg letting the boarding of Thornton go but calling soft penalties on Seids) and between games.
Agreed. They definitely need consistency, starting with "what's goalie interference" and moving on from there.

When Julien said after the game (per Bish tweet) "I think we had to overcome a lot of things tonight... we found a way to win" I knew exacty what he was talking about. He's not going to come out and directly blast the officials, but that said it loud and clear.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
That was weak... anyone surprised by the officiating at the bell center must be new to the rivalry...

Is it drama queen week or something?

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:37 PM
ORRMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
I think if anything the Bruins need to start hitting more. In the short term they might take some undeserved penalties, but after a couple weeks of that at least they'll have enough footage to make a legitimate case to the league that there is an unfair bias. They're not going to change anything by playing soft.
I agree. They're not going to win the way they're playing now.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:43 PM
murphdasmurf2
@SieveOfDaNation

murphdasmurf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
[/B]

We always hope for that but it never happens.

NHL officials are among the most inept "professionals" in any field in North America.
The NBA would like to have a word with you.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:31 PM
bostone737

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRMAN View Post
The Bruins were severely out-hit, tonight. So many opportunities to take the body, and they pulled up almost every time. This lack of physical play started a few weeks ago and seems to have come about at the same time as their weaker overall play.

Teams are again sending an aggressive forecheck and the Bruins don't have the speed to overcome it and make an effective play coming out of their own zone. Last year, the Bruins used size and strength to overcome quickness and aggression. They seem to have forgotten that, for the last few weeks. I hope they have a players-only meeting and make a commitment to using their size and strength.
hits can be overrated, you don't throw hits when you have the puck

that said, that interference call on boychuk was bs and can't be encouraging for the Bruins

and I don't think the bruins have forgotten quickness and aggression, they seemed to have forgotten how to pass the puck out of their own zone and an aggressive forecheck makes it even worse. I wince when I see Mcquaid or Boychuk trying to pass it out, even Chara makes me nervous now. Seids and Ference seem to be the only 2 who can consistently move the puck up.

bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:34 PM
BrainOfJ
Pure Bread

Tyler Seguin @tylerseguin92
The Vow with bods marchy and soups on the road in winnipeg. Why not. #teambonding. ..we all have a soft side..

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:37 PM
bostone737

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Tyler Seguin @tylerseguin92
The Vow with bods marchy and soups on the road in winnipeg. Why not. #teambonding. ..we all have a soft side..
hey man, can you translate that for me/?

Old
02-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Stone Clode
Because I said so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostone737 View Post
hey man, can you translate that for me/?
Haha The Vow is a new chick-flick that just got released in theatres. The rest is self explanatory.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1606389/

Stone Clode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:45 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Seids and Ference seem to be the only 2 who can consistently move the puck up.
I actually think Ference may be the best puck mover on the team. I would almost rather see him play as the puck mover on the 2nd line in the playoffs again than Corvo eating those minutes. I think the team's main trade priority right now has turned into a scoring winger, but I still hope they pick up another d-man for depth and Corvo heads out of Boston entirely in a trade or up to the pressbox as the #7 (if Corvo is our #7 I would be okay with that-but I am pretty much done with him as a Bruin).

Old
02-16-2012, 06:53 PM
bostone737

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadChara33 View Post
Haha The Vow is a new chick-flick that just got released in theatres. The rest is self explanatory.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1606389/
god that looks horrible.... took me a bit to figure out who 'bods' was

Old
02-16-2012, 06:55 PM
theironshiek

Quote:

Exactly, the Bruins have been out muscled recently by the Habs and a few games back against the Penguins. This is not their identity and Claude Julien alluded to it post game after that crushing loss to Buffalo. Did you guys see Emelin completely board thorty? I trust my vision and I thought it clear that Emelin came in at no angle. He had to see the numbers 22... The bruins must feel a lot like defensive backs in the NFL, afraid of the consequences of playing hard.

theironshiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:10 PM
sarge88

Quote:
It may seem that way because it is by far the most difficult game to call.

That, plus they're lousy at it.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:14 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
The NBA would like to have a word with you.
When I said "among" it was implied that NBA officials were also included in that generalization.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote