HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Former owner Gordon speaks...

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Infensus

vCash: 500
Former owner Gordon speaks...

Claims he sold Hartford in 1994 after meeting with Goodenow. Claims Goodenow's attitude towards the owners in his meeting indicated to him that Goodenow would destroy the league and now it is happening.

Link

Old
10-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

I love the quote at the end from Gorden,
"It's simple math. You know how many seats are in the building. You know concessions. You know advertising. Everything is available. There are no hidden secrets."

I guess he had really bad accountants.

Old
10-24-2004, 07:01 AM
Fletch

His problem is...

he knows how many seats are available, but couldn't get someone in each each night and the price that would make sense for him to make a lot of money. It's tough to be located in the shadows of New York and Boston, while residing in a slum.

Sure, simple math...guess that's why he is no longer an owner.

On another note...he's putting out an 'I told you so'. He just wants to let the world know what a genius he was for selling at the 'top' (it helps him get money for future ventures when he shows smarts and successes).

Old
10-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Adamx

Send a message via AIM to Adamx
Fletch,

I resent you calling Hartford "a slum". The Whalers problem had nothing to do with a fan base not corporate money, rather poor management and poor drafts and trades from the player personnel department. Their kind of mismanagement would kill any franchise.

Old
10-28-2004, 01:12 PM
JJ68NYR

So i guess Bettman really isnt the bad guy here its that a$$ Goodenow

Old
10-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ68NYR
So i guess Bettman really isnt the bad guy here its that a$$ Goodenow
Or take my point of view...they've both at fault. Both Bettman and Goodenow announced publicly what they would and would not accept...not coincidentally they happen to be opposing non-compatible views. It's an interesting approach, because generally in politics we see a similar strategy...state your position publicly, knowing the opposition pretty much has to take the other side and forcing them into stating that position and thereby creating a deadlock.

If there was genuinely an interest on Bettman's side to negotiate this out, rather than take the "You're either with us or against us" strategy then he would not have stated the cap demands publicly. If Goodenow wasn't looking to play "silly buggers" he could easily have said we are willing to consider all option and even have a few of our own.

Instead the NHLPA immediately dismissed the cap options that the league proposed after only a token review, and the league returned the favor on the luxury cap proposal from the players.

And so we have both sides, unwilling to compromise who have basically put their jobs and reputations on the line...not an insubstantial ante...and will hold out for the longest time hoping they ultimately get what they want.

The only thing that will shorten this lockout now is if there is an eroding of support on one or both sides. With so few owners involved, I'm betting it will be the players, who as others have pointed out, are largely made up of guys making less than the average salary today and perhaps wouldn't feel much difference from a cap compared to those making more than the average.

Closed Thread