HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kyle Palmieri to Pittsburgh

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2012, 08:39 PM
  #1
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,299
vCash: 500
Kyle Palmieri to Pittsburgh

Young, RH RW prospect who's putting up numbers in the AHL.

What would it take?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:45 PM
  #2
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,131
vCash: 500
You don't have the right prospect to make it happen.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:48 PM
  #3
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
You don't have the right prospect to make it happen.
For curiosity's sake, what sort of return would you be looking for?

Wing looks to be an organizational strength, even with Selanne's likely imminent retirement.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:51 PM
  #4
SEALBound
Registered User
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,130
vCash: 500
What would the Ducks need? Swap back for Tangradi? D prospect?

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:55 PM
  #5
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
For curiosity's sake, what sort of return would you be looking for?
Pretty much the same thing he is, a close to NHL-ready promising prospect that has proven similarly much at the AHL level, except as a center. Or a two-way defenseman with an emphasis on his defensive play. It seems very unlikely a team would offer a prospect we would like better than Palmieri, though, and it's not like we can't use him as a good wing prospect.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
What would the Ducks need? Swap back for Tangradi?
Don't see what our motivation for that would be.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:56 PM
  #6
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
For curiosity's sake, what sort of return would you be looking for?

Wing looks to be an organizational strength, even with Selanne's likely imminent retirement.
Personally, I'd only do it for an equally promising center.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:01 PM
  #7
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Personally, I'd only do it for an equally promising center.
Definitely don't have any of those.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:04 PM
  #8
Unholy
Registered User
 
Unholy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RSM, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,681
vCash: 500
You got Tangradi and now you want Palmieri? Get outa here

I'm excited to see him up full time as well as Etem.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?u=96509&type=sigpic&dateline=1325746233
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:05 PM
  #9
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Pretty much the same thing he is, a close to NHL-ready promising prospect that has proven similarly much at the AHL level, except as a center. Or a two-way defenseman with an emphasis on his defensive play. It seems very unlikely a team would offer a prospect we would like better than Palmieri, though, and it's not like we can't use him as a good wing prospect.
Sounds like Despres, to a tee. I'd balk at giving him up though, for the simple reason that Despres has already looked great at the NHL level which could open up a deal of one of our vet defensemen for a winger who could help immediately.

You've got reasonable expectations for a return, though I figured Anaheim fans might be inclined to want a veteran who could help them now, considering the core is in their prime.

Quote:
Don't see what our motivation for that would be.
Yeah. Tangradi's older and a fair bit less productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Personally, I'd only do it for an equally promising center.
Fair enough.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:23 PM
  #10
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Sounds like Despres, to a tee. I'd balk at giving him up though, for the simple reason that Despres has already looked great at the NHL level which could open up a deal of one of our vet defensemen for a winger who could help immediately.
Yeah, he was the only name I could come up that I thought could go somewhere for us. Interestingly enough, they were picked very close to each other, and both seemed to have developed very well. I can understand your reservations about that thought. I wouldn't be able to tell if I would do it, since I haven't seen enough of either guy to make a trigger-pulling decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
You've got reasonable expectations for a return, though I figured Anaheim fans might be inclined to want a veteran who could help them now, considering the core is in their prime.
These talented kids on entry level deals could go a long way to help us out in the near future. We have been struggling to put together solid depth, partially due to our budget and our fairly big amount of big contracts for that, and finally having a few cheap home-grown guys that can make it up there again will really help us out. If Teemu calls it a day, we'll see what happens with Koivu and Blake as veteran guys around, but I think the general veterans would be added in free agency.

Palmieri, besides for the type of prospect described earlier, I could only see traded in a package for a #2 center or for a top-4 defenseman in case we decide to trade Visnovsky. In either case I would see it as more likely in the offseason.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:29 PM
  #11
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Yeah, he was the only name I could come up that I thought could go somewhere for us. Interestingly enough, they were picked very close to each other, and both seemed to have developed very well. I can understand your reservations about that thought. I wouldn't be able to tell if I would do it, since I haven't seen enough of either guy to make a trigger-pulling decision...
That's cool. Value-wise, they're probably pretty similar.

Quote:
Palmieri, besides for the type of prospect described earlier, I could only see traded in a package for a #2 center or for a top-4 defenseman in case we decide to trade Visnovsky. In either case I would see it as more likely in the offseason.
If that happens and our young defensemen keep progressing as well as they have, maybe the potential for a deal will be there in the summer.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:33 PM
  #12
SIDGENO8771
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Tangradi, seems like a good trade, Tangradi will flourish In ANa w/ ice time

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:34 PM
  #13
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
Tangradi, seems like a good trade, Tangradi will flourish In ANa w/ ice time
Come on, buddy.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:43 PM
  #14
Saints11
Registered User
 
Saints11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
For Palmieri, you might be able to get a Bortuzzo or Strait. Both are NHL ready defensemen who have played well in emergency call-ups. The Pens are very strong on the backend with many prospects, they need young forwards.

Saints11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:05 PM
  #15
barneyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
For Palmieri, you might be able to get a Bortuzzo or Strait. Both are NHL ready defensemen who have played well in emergency call-ups. The Pens are very strong on the backend with many prospects, they need young forwards.
That'd be a pretty bad deal for the Ducks to be honest. They'll want more upside than that.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:11 PM
  #16
JohnnyDuck93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 475
vCash: 500
Simon Despres

JohnnyDuck93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:12 PM
  #17
Saints11
Registered User
 
Saints11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Maybe a pick included like Columbus' 3rd, but the Pens might not be the trading partner for the Ducks here. You can forget about D-men like Despres, Morrow, and Harrington...not happening.

Saints11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:30 PM
  #18
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
Maybe a pick included like Columbus' 3rd, but the Pens might not be the trading partner for the Ducks here. You can forget about D-men like Despres, Morrow, and Harrington...not happening.
We still have our 3rd. I'm presuming you meant the 4th.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:35 PM
  #19
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
Maybe a pick included like Columbus' 3rd, but the Pens might not be the trading partner for the Ducks here. You can forget about D-men like Despres, Morrow, and Harrington...not happening.
The former two are the only ones that are around as highly regarded as Palmieri. So, instead of offering some clearly inferior talent, just don't make any offer, at all. Bortuzzo and Strait are nowhere near Palmieri in terms of value, and a 3rd round pick doesn't do anything to change that. We picked Palmieri right before Despres in his draft year, and both guys have developed very nicely. I understand if you are not dealing him, but those other other guys are nowhere near valuable enough. You want a quality prospect for an older one, that has proven a lot less, with far less upside. That is what's not happening.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:38 PM
  #20
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,523
vCash: 500
Staal for Ryan and Palmieri.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:45 PM
  #21
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Yeah, he was the only name I could come up that I thought could go somewhere for us. Interestingly enough, they were picked very close to each other, and both seemed to have developed very well. I can understand your reservations about that thought. I wouldn't be able to tell if I would do it, since I haven't seen enough of either guy to make a trigger-pulling decision...


These talented kids on entry level deals could go a long way to help us out in the near future. We have been struggling to put together solid depth, partially due to our budget and our fairly big amount of big contracts for that, and finally having a few cheap home-grown guys that can make it up there again will really help us out. If Teemu calls it a day, we'll see what happens with Koivu and Blake as veteran guys around, but I think the general veterans would be added in free agency.

Palmieri, besides for the type of prospect described earlier, I could only see traded in a package for a #2 center or for a top-4 defenseman in case we decide to trade Visnovsky. In either case I would see it as more likely in the offseason.
Would Anaheim be able to handle financially taking on one of Martin/Michalek's salaries in a deal for Palmieri?

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:46 PM
  #22
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Young, RH RW prospect who's putting up numbers in the AHL.

What would it take?
Despres and not even sure either team would wanna do that.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:48 PM
  #23
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Would Anaheim be able to handle financially taking on one of Martin/Michalek's salaries in a deal for Palmieri?
No, we're maxed out for salary at the moment. We also need wingers more than a defenseman next season. Palmieri is a major piece of the future of that top six.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:51 PM
  #24
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 17,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Young, RH RW prospect who's putting up numbers in the AHL.

What would it take?
Despres for starters....

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:51 PM
  #25
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDuck93 View Post
Simon Despres
Shero: "You want Simon? DEUCES! *click*"
Shero: *dials number* "So Dan, guess what the Ducks wanted for Palmieri, haha...Despres, I was like you can have Martin for like a late pick and Palmieri"
Martin: "Ray, what the hell?"
Shero: *click*

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.