HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa 2012 concerts/festivals

Old
07-13-2012, 02:20 PM
ThrowInA2ndRounder

vCash: 500
awesome seeing all the love for my fellow haligonians wintersleep; saw them a couple years ago and they were amazing... i think fergie was playing on the mainstage so a lot of people were at their set

ThrowInA2ndRounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:19 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Bluesfest was rockin' tonight! Especially to Blue Rodeo!!!

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Northern Neighbour

Hey Rosetta! was very good. Last night was the first time that I've seen them, and I enjoyed their set. Great energy and the crowd was very good.

The best show of the night - and definitely my favourite act of the festival so far - was given by Jordan Cook, a.k.a. Reignwolf. For most of his set, he was a one-man band playing bluesy, southern rock with an electric guitar and a bass drum. At times, he was joined by a drummer and a bass player. Cook is tremendously talented as a guitar player and has a great stage presence. He was fantastic, simply mind-blowing.

Blue Rodeo was good as usual. Admittedly, though, I wouldn't be disappointed if they weren't invited back to Bluesfest next year. As I get older, I've realized that I like my music harder and louder.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:45 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

OLP absolutely killed it, amazing show! Superman's Dead, 4am, Clumsy and Is Anybody Home tore the place down. Great time.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:46 AM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Wow. I was blown away by Skrillex last night.When I saw him last year, it looked like all he was doing was hitting play on a Macbook. Last night, he had the turntable, the light show, the stage presence... incredible.

07-15-2012, 11:52 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Wanted to go see Wolfgang Gartner tonight but have nobody to go with

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:40 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Was at HOPE volleyball yesterday. Let me tell you, there is no obesity problem in this city.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:49 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Wanted to go see Wolfgang Gartner tonight but have nobody to go with
Go alone. I had to see Hey Rosetta alone because nobody could make it for 6, and it's not a big deal. The person you stand next to doesn't make much difference if it's a band you like.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:23 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Wow. I was blown away by Skrillex last night.When I saw him last year, it looked like all he was doing was hitting play on a Macbook. Last night, he had the turntable, the light show, the stage presence... incredible.
Incredible light show last night. 'Pretty Lights' put on an unbelievable performance too.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...452_o.jpg?dl=1

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:27 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
really? i stayed for about 10 min to check it out, and was not impressed. but i don't get it really with these dj acts. seems like 90% of the time he was just dancing while the other 10% he was turning one knob.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Upgrayedd

Winterlseep and The Trews knocked it outta the park tonight on the River stage! Both were great live as always i was in awe of the lead singer from the trews vocals, truly epic imo!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
Was at HOPE volleyball yesterday. Let me tell you, there is no obesity problem in this city.
The fit, cute girls were definitely out in massive numbers at Hope. Good time

Old
07-16-2012, 02:48 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Another summer of Bluesfest comes and goes. Went three times and had a blast at everyone I saw. Went to Shinedown, Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper and OLP/Young the Giant.

Best performance easily goes to OLP with Shinedown a close second.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Mister Wood

This is the third year in a row where I held the festival pass, and I've had a great time each year. It might have been just me, but I think overall service improved. The band was a great idea, all the lines were real short this year, and there was a ton of space. The weather was amazing too, even if the fields got rather dusty at times (moshing/jumping kids kicking up huge clouds mustn't have been that nice for musicians). I think if I had to pick my top three shows, on any stage, I'd take Iron Maiden, Metric and Arkells.

I think the marketed theme of "Electro-fied" might have scared some people off, but really it shouldn't have. The Electro stage seemed to be a great idea, and Skrillex apparently got the biggest crowd of the year, but was thrown off when Tiesto didn't really draw that well. The only shows that stood out as disappointing to me were Mastodon (due to terrible tech work - couldn't hear vocals or solos, but they rocked otherwise!) and Mellencamp (Short set with no encore, especially with his catalog of music) but I loved it, and will get the fest pass next year. Bring on Folkfest!

Mister Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:46 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
I would say for sure the Electro stage is back next year, and a couple EDM headliners wouldn't be a surprise either.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Ohhh Franco

Bluesfest 2012 was incredibly well organized and the stage lay outs/locations were the best yet. I was there every night other than the Monday Nickleback show and have absolutely nothing negative to say about this year's festival. Great acts, great organization and great weather!

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

the band is a cool idea, and the stage set ups were better than last time I went *less bleeding)

But, based on the days I went, the numbers seemed lower than what I remember them being back in 2007 or 2008. And its kinda confirmed on the Bluesfest site, where they say they were hoping to hit 300,000. apparently that was what last year was, but not as good as a few years before when they had (IMO) a much better lineup, and had over 75,000 more people show.

I didn't buy a pass due to been less than impressed by the lineup (just got free tickets from people who couldn't go). Don't get me wrong, there were alot of bands I like playing, but I've seen many of them so often (OLP, Blue Rodeo, Great Big Sea, IME, Bad Religion, etc, etc), and there were so few big 'new' (to Ottawa) acts that I was pretty disinterested. To me seeing bands I've seen 100 times before is really just a bonus when I go, and catching acts that just fly by Ottawa normally (both legends and up and comers) is really why I LIKED going.

With that said I did see some cool new bands, but still felt underwhelmed...my subjective opinion, take it or leave it.

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:55 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
the band is a cool idea, and the stage set ups were better than last time I went *less bleeding)

But, based on the days I went, the numbers seemed lower than what I remember them being back in 2007 or 2008. And its kinda confirmed on the Bluesfest site, where they say they were hoping to hit 300,000. apparently that was what last year was, but not as good as a few years before when they had (IMO) a much better lineup, and had over 75,000 more people show.

I didn't buy a pass due to been less than impressed by the lineup (just got free tickets from people who couldn't go). Don't get me wrong, there were alot of bands I like playing, but I've seen many of them so often (OLP, Blue Rodeo, Great Big Sea, IME, Bad Religion, etc, etc), and there were so few big 'new' (to Ottawa) acts that I was pretty disinterested. To me seeing bands I've seen 100 times before is really just a bonus when I go, and catching acts that just fly by Ottawa normally (both legends and up and comers) is really why I LIKED going.

With that said I did see some cool new bands, but still felt underwhelmed...my subjective opinion, take it or leave it.
Many acts that go to Toronto and MOntreal do come to Ottawa not all but a large number of them.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:27 AM
BK201

i didn't go this year, it was more expensive and a lot of recycled acts.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Bob Kudelski

My review of the acts I saw this year:

Iron Maiden - Not impressed. Mind you, I'm not very familiar with them and have never been a fan. Their big skeleton thing was cool, but other than that, all the songs sounded the same and they have no nostalgia factor for me personally.

Beirut - Excellent. They put on a solid show and sound even better live than on their albums.

Skrillex - Wow. I think I'm too old for that stuff. I've never seen an Ottawa crowd go so mental like that. Very impressive light show and visuals, but I'm just too old for that stuff. I would have needed to be really messed up on drugs to fully enjoy that show. What I dont' understand about the electronic music is why does he even need to tour in order to play his music? What is he even doing up there? Can't someone else just press play?

Acts I'm sorry I missed:

Hey Rosetta! - saw them in Montreal in November and they're awesome live
Oliver Mtukudzi - listen to this guy's music all the time at home and it's crazy infectious. He's amazing. Really sad I missed it.
Zeus - always put on a great show although their new album is not as strong as their last.
Lauryn Hill - did she play her old stuff? That would have been amazing to see.
Bad Religion - have never seen them live even though I have many of their albums and grew up listening to them. Need to see them sometime before it's too late.
Young the Giant - I do like their songs that get radio play and would like to hear their other stuff.
Metric - always good

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Many acts that go to Toronto and MOntreal do come to Ottawa not all but a large number of them.
I'd say a significant amount of acts bypass Ottawa, and have since I started going to shows for the last 15-16 years. We don't have a good venue for mid-level acts. Barrymore's back in the early-mid 90s kinda filled this, and they booked awesome bands, but it only holds about 500. Capital Music Hall (the old one that held maybe 1000), also managed to fill this void for a brief period, but then it got torn down, and has since moved to another venue, which I don't think holds shows much nowadays.

From what I know from promoters, bands that are too small for say Scotiabank, or Civic Centre, but too big for 500 or even 1000 have no where to go.

With that said, I still stand by my comment that Ottawa, unfortunately misses out on a lot of good bands. I'm not trying to knock Ottawa, I love living here! BUT GO look at the concert listings for Toronto and compare it to Ottawa, the difference is quite large.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:59 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
I'd say a significant amount of acts bypass Ottawa, and have since I started going to shows for the last 15-16 years. We don't have a good venue for mid-level acts. Barrymore's back in the early-mid 90s kinda filled this, and they booked awesome bands, but it only holds about 500. Capital Music Hall (the old one that held maybe 1000), also managed to fill this void for a brief period, but then it got torn down, and has since moved to another venue, which I don't think holds shows much nowadays.

From what I know from promoters, bands that are too small for say Scotiabank, or Civic Centre, but too big for 500 or even 1000 have no where to go.

With that said, I still stand by my comment that Ottawa, unfortunately misses out on a lot of good bands. I'm not trying to knock Ottawa, I love living here! BUT GO look at the concert listings for Toronto and compare it to Ottawa, the difference is quite large.
The CE Centre was built in part for this. Although the location is not the best

Old
07-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Northern Neighbour

Ottawa definitely needs a medium-sized venue that can hold 1500 to 2500 people. Unfortunately, there just isn't any space in the downtown core to accommodate this. The CE Centre is all right, but as mentioned the location isn't ideal and it doesn't have that theatre feel.

As for Bluesfest, the final weekend was pretty good. Beirut did have a great set, and the crowd was relatively pretty good.

Metric closing Bluesfest was a good choice. The put on a very good show, but the crowd, other than for a few pockets, was really stale and not lively whatsoever. My wife and I were surrounded by zombies, and we were pretty close to the stage.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
The CE Centre was built in part for this. Although the location is not the best
agreed and agreed.
I think thats where rise against and gaslight anthem are playing.
anyone been to shows out there? any good?

I remember the old congress centre having some great shows. no seating mind you.
Tea Party/Econoline Crush, Sloan, Sum 41, radiohead (i think)

Old
07-17-2012, 10:42 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
agreed and agreed.
I think thats where rise against and gaslight anthem are playing.
anyone been to shows out there? any good?

I remember the old congress centre having some great shows. no seating mind you.
Tea Party/Econoline Crush, Sloan, Sum 41, radiohead (i think)
I've seen Deadmau5 and Steve Angelo there. I think it depends on how the people set up the stage/floor. It doesn't have the ''Show'' feel but has plenty of space for 3000+ people.