HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa 2012 concerts/festivals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2012, 02:20 PM
  #476
ThrowInA2ndRounder
Registered User
 
ThrowInA2ndRounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
awesome seeing all the love for my fellow haligonians wintersleep; saw them a couple years ago and they were amazing... i think fergie was playing on the mainstage so a lot of people were at their set

ThrowInA2ndRounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:19 PM
  #477
SENSational Sens Fan
Registered User
 
SENSational Sens Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,000
vCash: 500
Bluesfest was rockin' tonight! Especially to Blue Rodeo!!!

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:57 AM
  #478
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,683
vCash: 500
Hey Rosetta! was very good. Last night was the first time that I've seen them, and I enjoyed their set. Great energy and the crowd was very good.

The best show of the night - and definitely my favourite act of the festival so far - was given by Jordan Cook, a.k.a. Reignwolf. For most of his set, he was a one-man band playing bluesy, southern rock with an electric guitar and a bass drum. At times, he was joined by a drummer and a bass player. Cook is tremendously talented as a guitar player and has a great stage presence. He was fantastic, simply mind-blowing.

Blue Rodeo was good as usual. Admittedly, though, I wouldn't be disappointed if they weren't invited back to Bluesfest next year. As I get older, I've realized that I like my music harder and louder.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:45 PM
  #479
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!
 
GoSensGo765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,578
vCash: 500
OLP absolutely killed it, amazing show! Superman's Dead, 4am, Clumsy and Is Anybody Home tore the place down. Great time.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:46 AM
  #480
hockeyalltheway
Moderator
Get well soon, GMBM.
 
hockeyalltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,425
vCash: 611
Wow. I was blown away by Skrillex last night.When I saw him last year, it looked like all he was doing was hitting play on a Macbook. Last night, he had the turntable, the light show, the stage presence... incredible.

__________________
hockeyalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:52 AM
  #481
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala
 
mat_sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,609
vCash: 10639
Wanted to go see Wolfgang Gartner tonight but have nobody to go with

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:40 PM
  #482
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga
 
thinkwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,286
vCash: 500
Was at HOPE volleyball yesterday. Let me tell you, there is no obesity problem in this city.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:49 PM
  #483
N Bahn Ahden
Registered User
 
N Bahn Ahden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Wanted to go see Wolfgang Gartner tonight but have nobody to go with
Go alone. I had to see Hey Rosetta alone because nobody could make it for 6, and it's not a big deal. The person you stand next to doesn't make much difference if it's a band you like.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:23 PM
  #484
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Wow. I was blown away by Skrillex last night.When I saw him last year, it looked like all he was doing was hitting play on a Macbook. Last night, he had the turntable, the light show, the stage presence... incredible.
Incredible light show last night. 'Pretty Lights' put on an unbelievable performance too.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...452_o.jpg?dl=1

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:27 PM
  #485
God Says No
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Wow. I was blown away by Skrillex last night.When I saw him last year, it looked like all he was doing was hitting play on a Macbook. Last night, he had the turntable, the light show, the stage presence... incredible.
really? i stayed for about 10 min to check it out, and was not impressed. but i don't get it really with these dj acts. seems like 90% of the time he was just dancing while the other 10% he was turning one knob.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:47 PM
  #486
Upgrayedd
Registered User
 
Upgrayedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Winterlseep and The Trews knocked it outta the park tonight on the River stage! Both were great live as always i was in awe of the lead singer from the trews vocals, truly epic imo!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
  #487
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!
 
GoSensGo765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
Was at HOPE volleyball yesterday. Let me tell you, there is no obesity problem in this city.
The fit, cute girls were definitely out in massive numbers at Hope. Good time

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:48 PM
  #488
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!
 
GoSensGo765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,578
vCash: 500
Another summer of Bluesfest comes and goes. Went three times and had a blast at everyone I saw. Went to Shinedown, Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper and OLP/Young the Giant.

Best performance easily goes to OLP with Shinedown a close second.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:31 PM
  #489
Mister Wood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
This is the third year in a row where I held the festival pass, and I've had a great time each year. It might have been just me, but I think overall service improved. The band was a great idea, all the lines were real short this year, and there was a ton of space. The weather was amazing too, even if the fields got rather dusty at times (moshing/jumping kids kicking up huge clouds mustn't have been that nice for musicians). I think if I had to pick my top three shows, on any stage, I'd take Iron Maiden, Metric and Arkells.

I think the marketed theme of "Electro-fied" might have scared some people off, but really it shouldn't have. The Electro stage seemed to be a great idea, and Skrillex apparently got the biggest crowd of the year, but was thrown off when Tiesto didn't really draw that well. The only shows that stood out as disappointing to me were Mastodon (due to terrible tech work - couldn't hear vocals or solos, but they rocked otherwise!) and Mellencamp (Short set with no encore, especially with his catalog of music) but I loved it, and will get the fest pass next year. Bring on Folkfest!

Mister Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:46 PM
  #490
littleD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 5,035
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to littleD
I would say for sure the Electro stage is back next year, and a couple EDM headliners wouldn't be a surprise either.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:57 PM
  #491
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,215
vCash: 500
Bluesfest 2012 was incredibly well organized and the stage lay outs/locations were the best yet. I was there every night other than the Monday Nickleback show and have absolutely nothing negative to say about this year's festival. Great acts, great organization and great weather!

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:58 PM
  #492
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?
 
Big Papi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
the band is a cool idea, and the stage set ups were better than last time I went *less bleeding)

But, based on the days I went, the numbers seemed lower than what I remember them being back in 2007 or 2008. And its kinda confirmed on the Bluesfest site, where they say they were hoping to hit 300,000. apparently that was what last year was, but not as good as a few years before when they had (IMO) a much better lineup, and had over 75,000 more people show.

I didn't buy a pass due to been less than impressed by the lineup (just got free tickets from people who couldn't go). Don't get me wrong, there were alot of bands I like playing, but I've seen many of them so often (OLP, Blue Rodeo, Great Big Sea, IME, Bad Religion, etc, etc), and there were so few big 'new' (to Ottawa) acts that I was pretty disinterested. To me seeing bands I've seen 100 times before is really just a bonus when I go, and catching acts that just fly by Ottawa normally (both legends and up and comers) is really why I LIKED going.

With that said I did see some cool new bands, but still felt underwhelmed...my subjective opinion, take it or leave it.

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:55 AM
  #493
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
the band is a cool idea, and the stage set ups were better than last time I went *less bleeding)

But, based on the days I went, the numbers seemed lower than what I remember them being back in 2007 or 2008. And its kinda confirmed on the Bluesfest site, where they say they were hoping to hit 300,000. apparently that was what last year was, but not as good as a few years before when they had (IMO) a much better lineup, and had over 75,000 more people show.

I didn't buy a pass due to been less than impressed by the lineup (just got free tickets from people who couldn't go). Don't get me wrong, there were alot of bands I like playing, but I've seen many of them so often (OLP, Blue Rodeo, Great Big Sea, IME, Bad Religion, etc, etc), and there were so few big 'new' (to Ottawa) acts that I was pretty disinterested. To me seeing bands I've seen 100 times before is really just a bonus when I go, and catching acts that just fly by Ottawa normally (both legends and up and comers) is really why I LIKED going.

With that said I did see some cool new bands, but still felt underwhelmed...my subjective opinion, take it or leave it.
Many acts that go to Toronto and MOntreal do come to Ottawa not all but a large number of them.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:27 AM
  #494
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,077
vCash: 500
i didn't go this year, it was more expensive and a lot of recycled acts.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:02 AM
  #495
Bob Kudelski
Registered User
 
Bob Kudelski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500
My review of the acts I saw this year:

Iron Maiden - Not impressed. Mind you, I'm not very familiar with them and have never been a fan. Their big skeleton thing was cool, but other than that, all the songs sounded the same and they have no nostalgia factor for me personally.

Beirut - Excellent. They put on a solid show and sound even better live than on their albums.

Skrillex - Wow. I think I'm too old for that stuff. I've never seen an Ottawa crowd go so mental like that. Very impressive light show and visuals, but I'm just too old for that stuff. I would have needed to be really messed up on drugs to fully enjoy that show. What I dont' understand about the electronic music is why does he even need to tour in order to play his music? What is he even doing up there? Can't someone else just press play?

Acts I'm sorry I missed:

Hey Rosetta! - saw them in Montreal in November and they're awesome live
Oliver Mtukudzi - listen to this guy's music all the time at home and it's crazy infectious. He's amazing. Really sad I missed it.
Zeus - always put on a great show although their new album is not as strong as their last.
Lauryn Hill - did she play her old stuff? That would have been amazing to see.
Bad Religion - have never seen them live even though I have many of their albums and grew up listening to them. Need to see them sometime before it's too late.
Young the Giant - I do like their songs that get radio play and would like to hear their other stuff.
Metric - always good

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:03 AM
  #496
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?
 
Big Papi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Many acts that go to Toronto and MOntreal do come to Ottawa not all but a large number of them.
I'd say a significant amount of acts bypass Ottawa, and have since I started going to shows for the last 15-16 years. We don't have a good venue for mid-level acts. Barrymore's back in the early-mid 90s kinda filled this, and they booked awesome bands, but it only holds about 500. Capital Music Hall (the old one that held maybe 1000), also managed to fill this void for a brief period, but then it got torn down, and has since moved to another venue, which I don't think holds shows much nowadays.

From what I know from promoters, bands that are too small for say Scotiabank, or Civic Centre, but too big for 500 or even 1000 have no where to go.

With that said, I still stand by my comment that Ottawa, unfortunately misses out on a lot of good bands. I'm not trying to knock Ottawa, I love living here! BUT GO look at the concert listings for Toronto and compare it to Ottawa, the difference is quite large.

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:59 AM
  #497
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala
 
mat_sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,609
vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
I'd say a significant amount of acts bypass Ottawa, and have since I started going to shows for the last 15-16 years. We don't have a good venue for mid-level acts. Barrymore's back in the early-mid 90s kinda filled this, and they booked awesome bands, but it only holds about 500. Capital Music Hall (the old one that held maybe 1000), also managed to fill this void for a brief period, but then it got torn down, and has since moved to another venue, which I don't think holds shows much nowadays.

From what I know from promoters, bands that are too small for say Scotiabank, or Civic Centre, but too big for 500 or even 1000 have no where to go.

With that said, I still stand by my comment that Ottawa, unfortunately misses out on a lot of good bands. I'm not trying to knock Ottawa, I love living here! BUT GO look at the concert listings for Toronto and compare it to Ottawa, the difference is quite large.
The CE Centre was built in part for this. Although the location is not the best

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:04 AM
  #498
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,683
vCash: 500
Ottawa definitely needs a medium-sized venue that can hold 1500 to 2500 people. Unfortunately, there just isn't any space in the downtown core to accommodate this. The CE Centre is all right, but as mentioned the location isn't ideal and it doesn't have that theatre feel.

As for Bluesfest, the final weekend was pretty good. Beirut did have a great set, and the crowd was relatively pretty good.

Metric closing Bluesfest was a good choice. The put on a very good show, but the crowd, other than for a few pockets, was really stale and not lively whatsoever. My wife and I were surrounded by zombies, and we were pretty close to the stage.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:25 AM
  #499
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?
 
Big Papi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
The CE Centre was built in part for this. Although the location is not the best
agreed and agreed.
I think thats where rise against and gaslight anthem are playing.
anyone been to shows out there? any good?

I remember the old congress centre having some great shows. no seating mind you.
Tea Party/Econoline Crush, Sloan, Sum 41, radiohead (i think)

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:42 AM
  #500
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala
 
mat_sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,609
vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
agreed and agreed.
I think thats where rise against and gaslight anthem are playing.
anyone been to shows out there? any good?

I remember the old congress centre having some great shows. no seating mind you.
Tea Party/Econoline Crush, Sloan, Sum 41, radiohead (i think)
I've seen Deadmau5 and Steve Angelo there. I think it depends on how the people set up the stage/floor. It doesn't have the ''Show'' feel but has plenty of space for 3000+ people.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.