08-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Tdoe42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
O line for one

And mack ****ed that up with labatte
O-Line is already better then last year Obby had to go

Mack had the least to do with that if Lapo wanted to move him to Center and Labbatte never said anything. I dont see how that is Macks fault

Old
08-30-2012, 12:46 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
O-Line is already better then last year Obby had to go

Mack had the least to do with that if Lapo wanted to move him to Center and Labbatte never said anything. I dont see how that is Macks fault
Are you watching the same game i am?
Other then this past game the o line had been horrid

Old
08-30-2012, 01:16 PM
puck stoppa

O-line did suck pretty bad last year!

Old
08-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Are you watching the same game i am?
Other then this past game the o line had been horrid
O-line was Worse last year... Obby got benched to many Offsides lol how the hell do you go offside when ur the Center!!

Old
08-30-2012, 08:23 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
O-line was Worse last year... Obby got benched to many Offsides lol how the hell do you go offside when ur the Center!!
I'm with you Tdoe. The O-line is better this year. Not by whole lot, but it is better. Three of the last four games it has been about average compared to the the rest of the league.

Now I'm not saying it is a good or great O-line. Clearly there is room for improvement. BUt it has shown progress and that's all you can ask of this young group. Right now, I'd say they are the 6th best O-line in the league (ahead of Toronto's and Edmonton's).

As for labatte's comments, they should be taken with a grain of salt. Who is to say the Bombers wouldn't have relented and kept him at his natural guard position if he had taken a stand and been firm with them. I do, however, blame Mack, to some degree, for not getting a deal done during this past season. He could have offered him a generous contract at that time and I'm sure Labatte would have jumped at the offer.

All this talk of Mack putting the Bombers in a horrible position is ridiculous. This isn't Mike Kelly we're talking about here - a guy who traded away half our draft picks for the following 2 seasons, released our only good veteran quarterback while bringing in a 3rd stringer who had barely started a game, and let 3/5 of our O-Line go with no adequate replacements.

Joe Mack has:

1) increased the Canadian depth on this team. Draft picks like Kito Poblah and Cory Watson (one of the best Canadians in the league) look mighty fine compared to the likes of Aaron Hargreaves and Brock Ralph don't you agree?

In addition, last year's first overall pick, Henoc Muamba, seems to be developing quite well at the middle LB position. Guy has a knack for stripping the ball. Expect him to be one of the top 4 MLBs in the league in the next few years..and he's Canadian no less!! What a bonus.

Mack has also added O-line depth to the Bombers with late picks in the CFL draft the last few years - those being Greaves, Dunn and Swiston. Let's give these boys a few years starting to see how they develop. Have to say, a few of them look better than that useless turd Morley who imo will be one of the Bombers gone in the off-season.

2) brought in the best import talent we have seen on this club in a decade. Starts with players like Jeffers-Harris and Greg Carr, and replaces them with better players in Clarence Denmark and Chris Matthews. Brought in arguably the best secondary in the league with Sears, Hefney, Logan, Washington, Johnson and Suber. Signed players like Bryant Turner, Jason Vega and Alex Hall to anchor a strong D-line. WIth all the players back from their injuries on defense, we should start seeing results more in line with those numbers put up against BC last week and less like those put up against Montreal earlier in the season (when half our lineup was out).

3) signed young quarterbacks with starter potential. GASP! When was this EVER done during the Taman era. Never, that's when! This club has not developed a good quarterback since Danny McManus in the early 90s. This club has not developed and kept a good quarterback through the entire development process since Dieter Brock 40 years ago! I'm glad Joe Mack had the fortitude and the connections to do something that hasn't been done in Winnipeg in a generation - bring in a young quarterback fresh from the NCAA who can legitimately challenge for a starting spot in the CFL. This is something that Taman and company did not have the ability nore th patience to do. After a few years of development, this decision appears to bearing fruit with emergence of Joey Elliott. I fully expect MR. Elliott to be firmly established as the Bombers #1 quarterback no later than next year.

With regards to the questionable picks in:

1)Etienne - he was always drafted as a longterm project with greater potential than those drafted behind him like Coehoorn and Iannuzzi (even though those players have produced more than him in season 2). Sound familar Scheiffele fans? Guess since Couturrier had 20+ points and played a sound defensive game for the Flyers while Mark toiled away in juniors, we should rule this a failure on Chevy's part, right? Because if you believe Mack failed due to the early production of Coehoorn and Iannuzzi vs. Etienne, than you should also believe Chevy failed with the Scheiffele pick if for your reasoning to be consistent.

Etienne should get another year (to the end of 2013) before we can properly evaluate the pick.

2)Pencer - Mack took a gamble trading up in the draft to the third overall pick with hopes of getting Westerman, the man who would replace Brown on the interior d-line. Unfortunately, he was outfoxed by Buono who also traded up to get the second overall pick, and with it, Westerman. Too bad, because he appears to be off to a strong start in BC.

Mack ended up picking Pencer, not a bad consolation prize. Regardless of his injury status, Pencer wouldn't have started this year anyways. The vast majority of O-linemen generally don't get any reps during their first year in the CFL unless they are supremely talented (like #1 overall pick Heenan). To rush them into the lineup only serves to hinder the team and the players' development. The jury will be out on this pick for a couple years..at least.

Last time I checked, general managers are not fired after being with a team for only 3 years, especially teams whose Canadian depth was destroyed by the idiot who masqueraded as our GM and coach back in 2009. Building depth takes time. We already have good American depth. The next step, is developing our Canadian depth, which is average right now, into dood Canadian depth in the next years. I suspect this will happen with the continued improvement of our O-line over the next 2 years.

General managers, in almost ever instance get two kicks at the can before a replacement is considered. In other words, 2 permanent coaches. By permanent, I mean a coach who does not operate under the title of interim head coach, essentially what Tim Burke is. IF BUrke is deemed to do an adequate job for the rest of the 2012 season (.500 would be my guess as to be adequate) and is given the title of head coach, then I will deem this as beginning of Mack's second kick at the can. If during the remainder of the season, Burke is found not to be an ideal head coach for the Bombers and a suitable replacement is found, that replacement will be the beginning of Joe Mack's second kick at the can. Regardless of who is coaching the team during the 2013 season, should the team fail to make the playoffs, then there is a good chance Joe Mack will be fired. Not before this though.

For those of you hoping to see Joe Mack fired this offseason, well..you're going to be disappointed because it's not going to happen. History has proven this with regards to the track records of GMs. Time to suck it up and show some patience and cheer for a Bomber sweep on LD and the BB.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:23 AM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Well thought out post blueandgoldguy.

But I am not going to wear those blue and gold glasses with this team. All this talk of how much improved the team is...yet here we sit in the midst of a 2-6 season. And this is his the 3rd season of Mack. There is no arguing that fact. How can we have improved by sooo much, yet sit with such a disgraceful record? How does that make any sense?

1) Greaves blows. He's been terrible this year, I mean he's improved a little bit from the first two DREADFUL games where he couldn't block my grandma, but not enough. Who the hell cares about late picks like Swiston and Dunn, they have done absolutely nothing. It's like saying hey, we look at how the Jets drafting has improved, we drafted Ryan Olsen in the 6th Round. Maybe Swiston and Dunn make themselves into something, but till then it's hardly a point for Mack, every team has late draft picks, congrats on calling out a real name?

2)So we have improved the Canadian talent (per your point one). And we have vastly improved the import talent. Yet we are a useless team that barely competes week after week and is at 2-6. Color me confused.

3)Everybody is falling over themselves for Elliott, what in the hell for? The guy has proven NOTHING. At this point Dinwiddie had more success than this guy. He has potential, much like 10-15 other QB's in the league at any other team. Hell, Stefan LeFors had plenty of potential as well.

Taman brought in this guy named Khari Jones from BC. Who won the MOP. He drafted Brown (never got good canadians did he?). HE HAD THE MOST SUCCESSFUL SEASON (2001) IN THE PAST TWENTY YEARS. That is all I care about. It ended with heartbreak, but hate him all you want, he was by miles and miles the best GM the Bombers have had in the past 20 years. He built dominating teams.

Quite frankly, this is a different game than the NHL. You don't sit on talent waiting for it to "develop". Careers are just way too short for that. It's not how it's done. By the time some people think this team will be "ready" all our players will be leaving or retiring. This sit on your ass off-season approach CANNOT happen again. It is KILLING this team, destroying it piece by piece as Mack fails to retain talent, fails to bring proven talent. Top teams like BC and MTL are constantly adding key pieces, we add a few IMP guys a year and everybody is happy. WTF. Everybody in the damn league brings in talented IMP players every year, why is Mack getting a pass because he does the bare minimum.

Mack has not done his job as GM, AFAIC. He is simply not producing on the field, I don't give one single iota about how the team looks on paper. This team is a failure and I am not sure how any other conclusion can be reached. I do not want to continue to cheer for a losing team, I will not be a cheerleader for a failing team. I will continue to cheer for the Bombers, and want what is best for them. And what is best for them is to can Mack's ass ASAP, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 08-31-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old
08-31-2012, 06:34 AM
Tdoe42

Great Post blueandgoldguy!! Is that you Bob Irving?? lmao jk

Old
08-31-2012, 06:41 AM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Well thought out post blueandgoldguy.

But I am not going to wear those blue and gold glasses with this team. All this talk of how much improved the team is...yet here we sit in the midst of a 2-6 season with little to no hope that it will improve. And this is his the 3rd season of Mack. There is no arguing that fact. How can we have improved by sooo much, yet sit with such a disgraceful record? How does that make any sense?

1) Greaves blows. He's been terrible this year, I mean he's improved a little bit from the first two DREADFUL games where he couldn't block my grandma, but not enough. Who the hell cares about late picks like Swiston and Dunn, they have done absolutely nothing. It's like saying hey, we look at how the Jets drafting has improved, we drafted Ryan Olsen in the 6th Round. Maybe Swiston and Dunn make themselves into something, but till then it's hardly a point for Mack, every team has late draft picks, congrats on calling out a real name?

2)So we have improved the Canadian talent (per your point one). And we have vastly improved the import talent. Yet we are a useless team that barely competes week after week and is at 2-6. Color me confused.

3)Everybody is falling over themselves for Elliott, what in the hell for? The guy has proven NOTHING. At this point Dinwiddie had more success than this guy. He has potential, much like 10-15 other QB's in the league at any other team. Hell, Stefan LeFors had plenty of potential as well.

Taman brought in this guy named Khari Jones from BC. Who won the MOP. He drafted Brown (never got good canadians did he?). HE HAD THE MOST SUCCESSFUL SEASON (2001) IN THE PAST TWENTY YEARS. That is all I care about. It ended with heartbreak, but hate him all you want, he was by miles and miles the best GM the Bombers have had in the past 20 years. He built dominating teams.

Quite frankly, this is a different game than the NHL. You don't sit on talent waiting for it to "develop". Careers are just way too short for that. It's not how it's done. By the time some people think this team will be "ready" all our players will be leaving or retiring. This sit on your ass off-season approach CANNOT happen again. It is KILLING this team, destroying it piece by piece as Mack fails to retain talent, fails to bring proven talent. Top teams like BC and MTL are constantly adding key pieces, we add a few IMP guys a year and everybody is happy. WTF. Everybody in the damn league brings in talented IMP players every year, why is Mack getting a pass because he does the bare minimum.

Mack has not done his job as GM, AFAIC. He is simply not producing on the field, I don't give one single iota about how the team looks on paper. This team is a failure and I am not sure how any other conclusion can be reached. I do not want to continue to cheer for a losing team, I will not be a cheerleader for a failing team. I will continue to cheer for the Bombers, and want what is best for them. And what is best for them is to can Mack's ass ASAP, as far as I am concerned.
I dont even know how to respond to this... We are so far apart on the way we view this team its just gonna take time to see who is right and who is wrong.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:26 AM
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT

vCash: 50
Quote:
I dont even know how to respond to this... We are so far apart on the way we view this team its just gonna take time to see who is right and who is wrong.
He's right; even if he spells colour like an American. The most successful season in the past 20 years was 2001. You don't wait for players to develop. Football doesn't work like that. This team blows. End of story. We as Winnipeggers are completely stupid to continue to buy tickets and merchandise to support a loser team that hasn't won anything since I was 5. That was 22 YEARS AGO! The only team that has gone longer without winning is Ottawa and they don't exist anymore. Joe Mack is garbage. Lapolice was a horrible coach. Does anyone even remember when he was our offensive coordinator and how awful that was? He's a nice guy, but nice guys are rarely good coaches. The fact that the Bombers didn't sweat at practices with the guy is pathetic. As long as Joe Mack and our god awful BOG are around this team is going to continue to be mediocre, no winning and a place where players will realize they don't want to play.

Old
09-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Diatidialga

Time to break the streak!

Old
09-02-2012, 03:28 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

**** me.

Old
09-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Diatidialga

Hefeny is all talk, no substance

We're gonna get shutout, I can tell

Last edited by Diatidialga: 09-02-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old
09-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

And people wonder why I call this team a joke?

Old
09-02-2012, 03:43 PM
DancesWithWookies

lets go rough riders

Old
09-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Diatidialga

1,2,3 Kick

Old
09-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
All I have to say is... lol

Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
All I have to say is... lol
I'm seriously contemplating selling my Banjo Bowl tickets right now.

Old
DancesWithWookies

its kinda beautiful in an horrible sort of way...

Old
09-02-2012, 03:49 PM
SensibleGuy

YIKES! This is not pretty.

Old
09-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

I totally see how we have the best canadian talent in 20 years, the best import talent in over a decade and the best QB in 40 years. Totally see it.

Old
09-02-2012, 03:50 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

LaPo must be enjoying this - I sure would be if I was in his shoes ...

Old
09-02-2012, 03:51 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
Go Jets Go!

Old
09-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
LaPo must be enjoying this - I sure would be if I was in his shoes ...
I'm all for the Bombers losing the rest of the season if it means Mack gets canned.

Old
09-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
Go Jets Go!
Lockout

I'm going to start having to watch Lacrosse

Old
09-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

When Mack fired Lapo, he pulled the pin on the season. It seems the players have as well. This team is an embarrassment.

Closed Thread