Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

2012 Winnipeg Blue Bombers/CFL Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2012, 09:54 PM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 50
Wasn't last year supposed to be a rebuild year?

Old
03-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
Wasn't last year supposed to be a rebuild year?
Seems to be a lot of folks blurring the lines between "rebuilding" and "retooling".

Old
03-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Perceived weak spots at wide receiver and defensive line? Those, along with the secondary and the depth at quarterback, are the strongest points on our entire team. I cannot believe anyone actually believes those are WEAK areas.
Last year. Agreed 100% on both. This year? Not so much.

Right now we have two very similiar imports in Denmark and Edwards. Both are not huge, not overly fast, but fantastic zone coverage receivers, smart and damn solid receivers all around. We have a premier NI in Watson, beast in man, can just flat out play no doubt. Ok, that's 3. What else? Poblah looked real good in spurts, but couldn't stay healthy. Etienne is still raw, did not even play offense last year. That is awful thin, IMO.

Defensive line has plenty of interesting players, but thin on proven talent. Fritz/Vega/Mainor all have looked good at times on the end, Turner/Smith look all right in the middle, but the two main focuses are now gone so we will see if those guys will be able to step up when they are getting the double teams and all the attention. Probably be all right there, but we'll see.

Quote:
As for not improving the QB position, we retained our three free agents-to-be for another 2-3 years a piece. Considering Brink and Elliott are regarded as two of the brightest QB prospects in the league, I'm not sure what a more appropriate alternative would have been?
Hard to say here. Honestly it was probably the best call, but it is really hard to see two of your division rivals go out and get two proven starting QB's while you sit with the statistically the worst starting QB in the league last year. Now will Ray/Burris turn those teams around? Maybe not, we'll see. I hope they give Brink a long look in pre-season, I'd give him an honest chance to be the #1 on opening day.

Quote:
As far as the kicking game goes, I suggest we wait until the CFL Draft is over. A certain Bomber hall of famer has a son who just happens to be eligible this year as a kicker. And he's a damn good one. We'll see if we draft him.
I hope so. Slightly unrelated note, my good buddy went in the draft last year (2nd round kicker/punter), he is the hardest working person I know, I was really really really wishing the Bombers were going to take him (he hit a 54 yarder for my HIGH SCHOOL team).

Quote:
Linebackers? I can't comment but it's not an incredibly weak position. Middle linebacker is the weakest spot of the three and in all honesty, it's not a focal point for our defense like it would be in other defenses. We don't funnel the opposing rushers to our MLB like many defenses, so I'm hopefully Muamba or even a guy like JMK that we brought in at the midway point last year can step in if Lobendahn isn't healthy. All we need is a high football IQ. We don't NEED an Elimimian type, even if it'd be nice.
Fair enough, but god is it ****ing painful to watch Labbe slug his way around the field on defense. As long as we have enough depth to never see him on the defense again I will be happy there. I get that Muamba is the long term project there, I hope that he gets there.

Quote:
P.S. Not liking the Etienne pick because we had Poblah is a bit of revisionist history. Poblah wasn't even confirmed as a non-import when we drafted Etienne.
IIRC correctly Poblah WAS confirmed by the draft, but not by the deadline to declare for CFL draft. Main reason I was upset at the draft.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 1077
You can now vote for what retired Bombers you want on banners hanging over the 4 main gates at the new stadium.

http://www.bluebombers.com/page/main-gate-signage

Old
03-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
You can now vote for what retired Bombers you want on banners hanging over the 4 main gates at the new stadium.

http://www.bluebombers.com/page/main-gate-signage
You know I like the idea... but honestly as a guy in his 30s I really only know guys from the last 20 years or so. A guy like, say, Kenny Ploen - I know he was a BB great, but I have no personal memory of him. And several others on that list I don't really recognize - but I'm sure it's a failing on my part, not a lack of greatness on their part.

Not sure putting it to a fan vote is the best idea. Although it sure would guarantee Milt Steagall a place.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
I have a couple points I want to make about the Bombers offense, specifically with Gary Crowton at the helm:

-I will be extremely surprised if Joey Elliott isn't the starter by the end of the season. It is a very similar offense to what he played in at Purdue, a very aggressive spread offense.

-Crowton's offense is heavily skewed to the pass. There will be games where the RB only gets 7 or 8 carries the entire game, and for that reason, I'm not overly concerned about any weakness there may be at RB.

-If the offense is anything like what he ran with the Bears when he was an NFL OC, it's going to emphasize getting the ball out quickly. Lots of slants and bubble screens, and you're not going to see many slow-developing passing plays. In other words, it's the kind of offense that could cover up some deficiencies on the offensive line.

I feel out of my element discussing Bomber personnel on the level that our resident fanatics (Holden and JB) understand it. But I do have a pretty good idea of what kind of offense you'll see the Bombers running this year.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I have a couple points I want to make about the Bombers offense, specifically with Gary Crowton at the helm:

-I will be extremely surprised if Joey Elliott isn't the starter by the end of the season. It is a very similar offense to what he played in at Purdue, a very aggressive spread offense.

-Crowton's offense is heavily skewed to the pass. There will be games where the RB only gets 7 or 8 carries the entire game, and for that reason, I'm not overly concerned about any weakness there may be at RB.

-If the offense is anything like what he ran with the Bears when he was an NFL OC, it's going to emphasize getting the ball out quickly. Lots of slants and bubble screens, and you're not going to see many slow-developing passing plays. In other words, it's the kind of offense that could cover up some deficiencies on the offensive line.

I feel out of my element discussing Bomber personnel on the level that our resident fanatics (Holden and JB) understand it. But I do have a pretty good idea of what kind of offense you'll see the Bombers running this year.
The Piss poor offense last year wasnt because of personnel it was because of the scheme and I am so pumped too see what they are going too show us this season because i feel that we have the personel.

We got too the GC with the worst offense in the league so any improvement will offset any losses in FA this season

Old
03-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

I think both Brink and Elliott have a good shot at the job. Crowton will bring an interesting look to our offense and I have to say that the two guys we just signed to extensions (Poblah and Watson) are going to get a HUGE workload in an offense like his.

Being two physical receivers, they could shoulder a TON of work off bubble screens. I know poor tackling played a part but look how Watson shrugged off defenders on that 94 yard catch and run last year. Look at Poblah's highlights from the Labour Day Classic last year. They're two punishing receivers and they're athletic enough to move in open space off bubble screens.

Although I don't see Crowton putting too many wrinkles in the run game, I know they want to try and get Carl Volny involved. He's a former division 1 tailback with a Canadian passport ... as a backup to Chris Garrett, he has potential to be a very dangerous change-of-pace back. Just needs to learn how to hold onto the football.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Tdoe42

http://bluebombers.com/article/blue-...-jovon-johnson

Javon Johnson Re-Signed!! This is great for him and the Bombers!!

Old
03-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

Elliot as a backup/3rd stringer has suffered back to back season ending injuries. He seems to made of as much glass as Pierce at this point. Honestly I hope that the Bombers come into camp with Pierce, Brink and Elliot as pretty much equal and let the play decide who goes. They also have Justin Goltz who looked decent last season in very limited action and they also brought in Brandon Summers who IIRC was in camp with Calgary last year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bombers carried 4 QB's all season based on the injury history of Pierce/Elliot.

Pierce does not fit in a quick hit offense, IMO. His release is not that quick, he is more comfortable with long developing plays. K Glenn mighta been a good option as a quick hit QB . We'll see how that goes.

I'm gonna but Carr is the slant master. But I completely agree with Jet Bomber on this one, Watson and Poblah are the perfect wide outs for this type of offense. Get the ball in their hands and they will make plays happen on those screens no doubt. We will be a tough receiving corps. I am not so sure that Edwards or Denmark will thrive in that type of offense. We'll see. We've brought in an import by the name of Kurt Adams and all I know is that he is 6'4'' so maybe he will replace Carr as our slant guy, IDK. They must really like him though, Edwards, Denmark and this Adams are the only import receivers on the roster so far.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

This is why I should probably keep my mouth shut about the Bombers. I really don't understand the complexities of the sport or team like I do with the Jets.

I am still extremely apprehensive about this season but it seems like our offense will be a lot more organized with this new coach. I am very interested to see the genesis of the team this year and hope that the plan works out.

I think I'll just read the Bombers thread from now on

03-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Elliot as a backup/3rd stringer has suffered back to back season ending injuries.
Not true. He finished the season as the only healthy QB on our team in 2010. Brink and Pierce were hurt, he was not.

Quote:
Honestly I hope that the Bombers come into camp with Pierce, Brink and Elliot as pretty much equal and let the play decide who goes. They also have Justin Goltz who looked decent last season in very limited action and they also brought in Brandon Summers who IIRC was in camp with Calgary last year.
I agree with this, I just thought I'd mention that Summers was never with Calgary.

Quote:
Pierce does not fit in a quick hit offense, IMO. His release is not that quick, he is more comfortable with long developing plays. K Glenn mighta been a good option as a quick hit QB . We'll see how that goes.
Not so sure I agree. He has to be more assertive with his reads, similar to how he was in BC. Pierce has made his coin with us while being on the run, but I'll be honest and say that I'm not sure that's entirely by choice. You're forced to extend plays with your legs when your offensive line falls apart on you. If Pierce can develop a comfort level with his primary read on the bubble screen, his quick hitters could be vicious.

Quote:
I'm gonna but Carr is the slant master. But I completely agree with Jet Bomber on this one, Watson and Poblah are the perfect wide outs for this type of offense. Get the ball in their hands and they will make plays happen on those screens no doubt. We will be a tough receiving corps. I am not so sure that Edwards or Denmark will thrive in that type of offense. We'll see. We've brought in an import by the name of Kurt Adams and all I know is that he is 6'4'' so maybe he will replace Carr as our slant guy, IDK. They must really like him though, Edwards, Denmark and this Adams are the only import receivers on the roster so far.
Carr WAS great at the slants, I'm going to miss that for sure. Carr was my favorite receiver last year, so I'm not even going to try and downplay his loss but I really like Watson and Poblah. I'm so-so on Kurt Adams, but I do expect the Bombers will bring in more receivers. Mack seems to want to wait until after the NFL draft this year whereas last year, he had a bit more reason to try and lock new guys up early with the lockout and such. I have no problem with this approach.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Huffer

Hey JetBomber, do you post on the other Bomber sites? The team one and/or OurBombers?

I like reading your posts and think you know a lot about the Bombers/CFL.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Hey JetBomber, do you post on the other Bomber sites? The team one and/or OurBombers?

I like reading your posts and think you know a lot about the Bombers/CFL.
I post on both, but I'm going to keep my usernames a secret.

I post a ton on both of them though. I'd be curious to know if anyone else here uses them.

Old
03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Huffer

Quote:

I post a ton on both of them though. I'd be curious to know if anyone else here uses them.
I read Ourbombers more than the team forum but I read that one as well. I've only posted a few times on OurBombers as even though I am a Football and Bomber fan, it can get pretty nasty there at times.

There a quite a few guys there though that I like to hear their opinions. I have a sneaky suspicion that you might be one........

Old
03-29-2012, 03:34 PM
wpgallday1960

Quote:

I post on both, but mainly Ourbombers. I called MK a clown in 2009 on the Bombers offical site and got a warning, therefore I post less and am more cautious.

Old
03-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Ulf Hullberg

Quote:

I post on both BB sites, but more on EP than OB...not sure why though, as it seems there are far more ridonkulous posts from negatrons on EP.

Btw, the quality of your posts in this thread give your BB "username" away.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoBuff View Post
I post on both BB sites, but more on EP than OB...not sure why though, as it seems there are far more ridonkulous posts from negatrons on EP.

Btw, the quality of your posts in this thread give your BB "username" away.
I don't even consider myself an intelligent poster. I'm still learning. On Ourbombers, I really like reading posts from guys like BOOCH27, JuranBoldenRules and hootie.

Great guys to learn from!

Old
03-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

One thing I wish is that I could find reliable data on salary, contract length, negotiation lists, etc in the CFL. I am a huge nerd for things like that (see the Jets Organizational Chart at the top of the forum) and keep track of all that stuff for both Jets and Bombers. I had a transaction list, all the players in and out of the BB organization for the last few years saved on my laptop till it crashed last November.

Also Jet Bomber, I agree that waiting for NFL draft is fine, in fact it's kinda neccessary since lots of imports will wait till the last possible moment for an NFL crack and with the salary difference you can't blame them.

Actually one thing, what do you think about the new mandatory 2 year deals for new players in CFL now? I'll save my comments for after

Old
03-30-2012, 01:25 AM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Actually one thing, what do you think about the new mandatory 2 year deals for new players in CFL now? I'll save my comments for after
I think it's pointless because it opens teams up (willingly) to handshake deals where they allow their players to seek NFL opportunities but they lose the player's CFL rights since there's no "loan agreement" to send players to the NFL without releasing him.

The CFL contract situation is so silly, right down to the way that they still call their deals "1+1" or "2+1" despite the whole "+1" thing being a way for people to refer to the NFL option window that no longer exists.

On top of all of that, the contracts are not EVER guaranteed, so using the "option" terminology fails right from the word go anyways.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:33 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
I think it's pointless because it opens teams up (willingly) to handshake deals where they allow their players to seek NFL opportunities but they lose the player's CFL rights since there's no "loan agreement" to send players to the NFL without releasing him.

The CFL contract situation is so silly, right down to the way that they still call their deals "1+1" or "2+1" despite the whole "+1" thing being a way for people to refer to the NFL option window that no longer exists.

On top of all of that, the contracts are not EVER guaranteed, so using the "option" terminology fails right from the word go anyways.
I knew we could find some common ground

Old
03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Dascow

Will Brink and or Elliott take that next step in development this season?

Peirce is clearly the starter going into the season, but at some point one of Brink or Elliott will get their shot. When they get their shot, can they take it and run with it?

At this point last year I would have said no way, but now I am not so sure. I feel like Brink really progressed nicely last season. I can’t quite get a feel for Elliott because of his lack of playing time due to injury, but in the limited time that he played this year and the 2 starts from the previous year, he seemed to have "something". (I can't quite put my finger on it just yet.)

I am very interested to see how hard Brink and Elliott can push Peirce this year and also how they will push each other.

For me, that is one of the big questions heading into this year.

Some other big questions that I have are:

Who will be starting on the o-line and how will they perform as a group?

As it stands right now, there is an opening in LaBatte’s old spot.

On the positive side, there is a lot of youth on the Bombers roster, ready to fight it out for that final spot.
On the negative side, there is a lot of youth on the Bombers roster, ready to fight it out for that final spot.

Chirs Kowalczuk, Chris Greaves, Paul Swiston, Brendan Dunn and Justin Sorensen are all gunning for a roster spot. Are any of those guys ready play guard full time? Are any of them ready to fill in if there are injuries? Greaves and Sorensen both have seen some playing time, but both still have a lot to prove. The others have no experience starting on a CFL o-line.

If the Bombers can’t shore up the o-line, it will be a long season for whoever plays QB.

Who will be the Bombers 7th starting Canadian?

Is Muamba ready to step in and take the job from JoLo? If he is, that would solve a lot of problems for the Blue and Gold.

If not, then the Bombers would most likely have to platoon a few guys. If that were to happen, it would cause a real strain on the depth in regards to non-imports.

The core of the Bombers receiving corps is solid. It’s always good to have diversity in the types of receivers on O. That is what the Bombers have. Poblah and Watson are physical and Edwards and Denmark are just playmakers. All 4 of those guys are capable of 1000 yards in a season and they all do it in different ways. All they need is maybe one more speed guy. I don't know much about Crowton's offence, but a good receiver can do well in any scheme.

I don't see the defence letting up much this year. When it comes down to it, the defence was the back-bone of this team last season. With the secondary all back and Burkes schemes, that's not going to change.

When it comes down to it, the Bombers defence should keep them in most games, but the Bombers will need some of their young and inexperienced players to take some major steps forward if they want to be successful this season.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:45 PM
sully1410

Are they seriously going to try to put a CFL team back in Ottawa?

Are there not other cities that could be looked at for a CFL team?

This will be the third time the league has tried this.

Old
03-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Are they seriously going to try to put a CFL team back in Ottawa?

Are there not other cities that could be looked at for a CFL team?

This will be the third time the league has tried this.
Ottawa will be fine CFL market once Frank Claire Stadium is done. They were simply run into the ground by a pair of complete morons that ruined the Renegades. There never should have been a problem there, they had great attendance the first few years, but those morons went out of their way to alienate the fanbase, then just folded the team. The new owner is Jeff Hunt, owner of the OHL's Ottawa 67's, he has knowledge of how to run a fanchise and Ottawa will easily be a solid franchise, IMO.

The dream of the CFL is the 10 team league with balanced divisions. Problem is, the money in the CFL is in the West. The 5 Westerns teams drive the league financially, with moderate help from Montreal, but that is mostly a product of being a dynasty. Right now Quebec has nothing close to infrastructure or even desire to get infrastructure for a CFL team. No stadium and owners, nobody wants CFL there. The CFL's best hope is Halifax/Moncton/Fredricton and marketing it as a Maritimes team. Moncton has a 10000 expandable soccer stadium that is expandable to 20725 and has hosted the "Touchdown Atlantic" (a CFL regular season game) the past two years. But CFL comissioner Mark Cohon has said that it would likely need to get to 25000 to even be considered as a viable stadium for CFL. Halifax has no stadium or stadium plans AFAIK.

Old
04-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bombers have a record year in the business side of things as they earn a profit of over 3 million dollars.

Closed Thread