Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan

Romanian Hockey and it's current State?

Old
06-25-2007, 07:04 AM
devils

vCash: 500
Romanian Hockey and it's current State?

Being born in Romania (However only lived there for one year before coming to Canada). I can say with all honesty I am curious in the state of hockey in my home country (though I consider myself to be more Canadian than anything). I've been to the Hockey Hall of Fame and I've seen a Romania Hockey Jersey in one the exhibits which made me really curious as to how the state of the game is in that country. I know its not very good because no kids are ever coming out of there into the NHL. When I was little I wanted to be the first Romanian to play in the NHL, but at this rate that won't happen, not for me. However I've always felt the sort of need to go over there and help develop the game of hockey in that country. (Obviously this takes lots of money and commitment, and money is something that many people in Romania don't have.) Does anyone on this forum actually know of any hockey leagues in Romania that have a chance at some day producing some AHL/NHL talent? Any information is welcome and thank you.

devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Mirinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils View Post
Being born in Romania (However only lived there for one year before coming to Canada). I can say with all honesty I am curious in the state of hockey in my home country (though I consider myself to be more Canadian than anything). I've been to the Hockey Hall of Fame and I've seen a Romania Hockey Jersey in one the exhibits which made me really curious as to how the state of the game is in that country. I know its not very good because no kids are ever coming out of there into the NHL. When I was little I wanted to be the first Romanian to play in the NHL, but at this rate that won't happen, not for me. However I've always felt the sort of need to go over there and help develop the game of hockey in that country. (Obviously this takes lots of money and commitment, and money is something that many people in Romania don't have.) Does anyone on this forum actually know of any hockey leagues in Romania that have a chance at some day producing some AHL/NHL talent? Any information is welcome and thank you.
I think the only chance for romanian hockey player be one day in NHL is to go to CZE, SVK, SUI, RUS, SWE, FIN in childs age (sooner the better) and be better then other players of the same age there

like Kopitar he made his last steps before draft in SWEDEN junior hokcey league and now he is there!

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 01:38 AM
devils

sigh, maybe someday we'll see a Romanian Born Player, if I had the money I'd love to go over there and teach Romanian kids the game of Hockey in which I love.

devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 05:12 PM
al3x

Send a message via Yahoo to al3x
Sadly there aren't enough ice rinks for children to learn ice hockey. There are some outdoor skating rinks during winter here in Bucharest but for a short period of time. I know they changed the hockey federation president this year and maybe we'll see some improvements in the next years. I also know that ice hockey is more popular in the central area (Harghita department) and they have the best junior teams in the country. As for Romanian players in the AHL there was this player Arpad Mihaly I think 2 or 3 years ago playing for the WBS Pens and the Wheeling Nailers but I don't know what happened to him. He obviously wasn't NHL caliber. I also hope someday we'll see a Romanian player in the NHL but for now, as Mirinho stated the best chance for a Romanian talented kid to be seen by scouts is playing in a strong National Championship like the SEL, RSL etc.
On a side note I've heard (can't remember where) that Jeoffrey Lupul's mom is from Romania. Do you know anything about this? If you knew Romanian I think you'd know that his name means 'the wolf'

al3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Mihai

Send a message via ICQ to Mihai Send a message via Yahoo to Mihai
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils View Post
I've been to the Hockey Hall of Fame and I've seen a Romania Hockey Jersey in one the exhibits which made me really curious as to how the state of the game is in that country. I know its not very good because no kids are ever coming out of there into the NHL.
Probably Eduard Pana's jersey out there. The one they say was the best Romanian player is another one, Doru Tureanu, who allegedly was offered a contract by the Montreal Canadiens, but turned it down due to communism and other things back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al3x View Post
As for Romanian players in the AHL there was this player Arpad Mihaly I think 2 or 3 years ago playing for the WBS Pens and the Wheeling Nailers but I don't know what happened to him.
Las Vegas Wranglers (ECHL), seems to have settled down to an ECHL level, but what is funny, is that he had a place on the Binghamton Senators in the AHL during the lockout season and played on the same team with Spezza or Vermette.

Also I think Joffrey Lupul's mother is Romanian or something similar. Anyway the family name means "Wolf" in Romanian.

As for the "state of hockey", currently its down and getting lower. Not enough interest, not enough ice time for the teams, not enough rinks, not good enough coaches to promote this game and so on. But we have been like this for quite a while now, so we got used to go div II - div I at senior level and stay div II and junior.

There is a low number of players coming out of the junior ranks as there is only one senior league and it can't accomodate most of the players or at least the good ones.

And indeed for a player to make to the NHL he'd have to go out west first to learn better hockey and then make the big step. We have the talent but it's not being used properly most of the times. U14 teams that win tournaments in Switzerland, but in the end the quality of coaching and others make a too big gap for any player or team to jump.

Mihai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Louiss

Quote:
Arpad Mihaly
played a few games last year in the AHL for the Penguins

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Hockeynomad

Check some happening in the Romanian legue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2rkYSoss1k

Hockeynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynomad View Post
Check some happening in the Romanian legue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2rkYSoss1k
yes, we all saw that before.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 11:32 PM
kacz

I'd love to see Romania develop some sort of concrete hockey program, but I doubt it is one of the countries athletic priorities.

Last edited by kacz: 11-09-2007 at 12:18 AM.
kacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 05:06 AM
Mihai

Send a message via ICQ to Mihai Send a message via Yahoo to Mihai
http://hchoki.ro/index.php?option=co...=305&Itemid=83

A new open air rink in Romania, and the first time after a looong time a game played like this.

Mihai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Kiraly

Just came across this thread.

A few changes over the last couple of years. Firstly, Brasov has a new Ice Arena. Along with Csikszereda and Steaua, Brasov played in the MOL Liga, which is a joint Hungarian-Romanian League. Csikszereda won the MOL Liga Championship this year.

Arpad Mihaly currently plays for Szekesfehervar in the EBEL, an international league with a majority of its teams based in Austria.

Roberto Gliga, currently playing in Sweden, is the country's top prospect.

Romanian Hockey's Official Website

Kiraly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Puffy

I was born in Romania and I knew absolutely nothing about hockey before coming to Canada. The sport is almost completely ignored in my hometown.

That being said, I know many Romanians who have left the country and ended up liking hockey more than soccer. A lot of Romanian parents have put their kids into the hockey program here.

So we may eventually see a few players with a Romanian background, but in terms of home grown talent it’s not looking very good.

Last edited by Puffy: 06-06-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Puffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Romanianloop

well my friend and I are both Romanian and we both play inter city, we both have dreams of making the NHL one day ^_^

Romanianloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:54 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
My parents are Romanian born. They don't know jack about hockey though.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

vCash: 50
Romanian Hockey = bench brawls.

This is because of the soccer fans who attend the hockey games just to cause trouble.

Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 05:42 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselCGY View Post
Romanian Hockey = bench brawls.

This is because of the soccer fans who attend the hockey games just to cause trouble.
sounds awesome

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Part of Dave Bidini's Hockey Nomad covers hockey in Romania, focusing on SC Miercurea Ciuc from Transylvania and their rivalry with Steaua Bucharest:

The part about Romania starts about 5 minutes in to the first clip.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Robotic

There are rumours that KHL club Avto may sign Arpad Mihaly.

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:11 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Wouldn't consider him Romanian. He grew up in a region where everyone recognizes themselves as Hungarian and he played the minimum of two season in Hungary so he could represent Hungary in IIHF events. I expect him to be on their roster, unless injured, in Budapest come April.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Romanianloop

We should chase them out of our country, they are like gypsies.

Old
08-08-2011, 10:18 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

This is a thread about hockey in Romania, let's not turn it into a political or hate thread. Just remember without the ethnic Hungarians, the Romanian national team would be at an even lower level than it currently is.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Romanianloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda Bolt View Post
This is a thread about hockey in Romania, let's not turn it into a political or hate thread. Just remember without the ethnic Hungarians, the Romanian national team would be at an even lower level than it currently is.
You obviously don't know jack bout the history between Romanians and Hungarians in Transylvania, they want independence even though they are in the heart of Romania.
The best Romanian hockey player of all time is Doru Tureanu, he is in the IIHF hall of fame, not to mention Joffrey Lupul is Romanian.

Old
11-27-2011, 07:30 AM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanianloop View Post
You obviously don't know jack bout the history between Romanians and Hungarians in Transylvania, they want independence even though they are in the heart of Romania.
The best Romanian hockey player of all time is Doru Tureanu, he is in the IIHF hall of fame, not to mention Joffrey Lupul is Romanian.
Joffrey Lupul is born and raised Canadian. Chris Pronger and Link Gaetz have finnish mothers. That doesn't make them Finnish.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Kiraly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda Bolt View Post
Wouldn't consider him Romanian. He grew up in a region where everyone recognizes themselves as Hungarian and he played the minimum of two season in Hungary so he could represent Hungary in IIHF events. I expect him to be on their roster, unless injured, in Budapest come April.
Arpad Mihaly officially became a Hungarian citizen this month and has received permission from the IIHF to represent Hungary in international competitions.

Kiraly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:13 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Steaua will take on the South African National Team in friendlies on March 29th and 30th while RSA prepares for the Div. II B World Championship being held in Bulgaria April 2-8.