HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Top Enforcers of the past 20 years?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2004, 09:58 AM
  #51
Nab77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
What about Chris Nylan?
I loved Nilan with the Habs. '86 Cup and the Flyers pre-game bru-ha-ha, great stuff.
Back in the day Montreal had Nilan, Kordic and Corson doing some serious fighting, now they have The Latin Lover fakin' injuries, talk about comin' down in the toughness department right alongside Detroit there.

Nab77 is offline  
Old
11-25-2004, 10:04 AM
  #52
Boilers*
 
Boilers*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 500
Mike Milbury- how many other coaches do you know that beats a fan with thier own shoe.. LOL

Boilers* is offline  
Old
11-25-2004, 10:25 AM
  #53
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,310
vCash: 500
If Wendel Clark get mentioned, I think Rick Tocchet must get mentioned too. They had a bout back in thre late 80's after Clark hit Mark Howe that is a classic. I think Tocchet got in twice as many punches, but it was a draw. A true beauty. Also, does Hospodar get any mention? His role in the Montreal-Philly 1987 conference finals was classic, but I only saw him at the end of his career. Does he belong in this list, or was he just dirty?

Pantokrator is offline  
Old
11-25-2004, 10:49 AM
  #54
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,132
vCash: 500
My favorite fighters ever would be two from the North Stars days, being Shane Churla and Basil McRea. No idea where they stand among the best of the past 20 years, but I figure Churla should be quite high..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
11-25-2004, 11:32 AM
  #55
Hordichuk_24
Registered User
 
Hordichuk_24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,388
vCash: 500
Any of the following guys should be on the list...

Bob Probert
Dave Brown
Behn Wilson
Clark Gillies
Nick Fotiu
Bob Nystrom
Larry Playfair
Stan Jonathan
Joey Kocur
Marty McSorley
Dave Semenko
John Wensink
John Kordic
Dan Maloney
Glen Cochrane
Paul Holmgrem
Chris Nilan
Tim Hunter
Willie Plett
Terry O'Reilly
Tony Twist
Stu Grimson
Craig Berube

Hordichuk_24 is offline  
Old
12-17-2004, 10:03 AM
  #56
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,554
vCash: 450
A found an interesting tidbit from another site. The 1983 RedWings draft included Bob Probert (3rd round), Joe Kocur (5th round) and Stu Grimson (10 round) Although Stu never signed with Detroit and re-entered.

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
12-17-2004, 12:38 PM
  #57
Chili
Registered User
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: la Belle Province
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 1,952
vCash: 500
Some of the guys who I respected the most didn't put up alot of pim's.

Dave Semenko, Rick Chartraw and John Ferguson.

These guys presence was enough to intimidate most opponents. I don't think it's a coincidence either that between them, they have alot of Cup rings.

Chili is offline  
Old
12-17-2004, 12:41 PM
  #58
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Some of the guys who I respected the most didn't put up alot of pim's.

Dave Semenko, Rick Chartraw and John Ferguson.

These guys presence was enough to intimidate most opponents. I don't think it's a coincidence either that between them, they have alot of Cup rings.
The fact that they happened to play with Gretzky, Messier, LaFleur, Dryden, Beliveau, Richard, Cournoyer etc. etc. might have helped a bit as well.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
12-17-2004, 12:53 PM
  #59
Chili
Registered User
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: la Belle Province
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 1,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
The fact that they happened to play with Gretzky, Messier, LaFleur, Dryden, Beliveau, Richard, Cournoyer etc. etc. might have helped a bit as well.
Those guys were allowed to do their thing with the minimum of punishment. I don't think that any of those guys was subjected to the level of abuse that Mario Lemieux has endured in his career.

How much weight you give to the enforcer's role is subjective but I don't think it can be denied that they do play a role in the success of others.

Chili is offline  
Old
12-17-2004, 07:30 PM
  #60
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Those guys were allowed to do their thing with the minimum of punishment. I don't think that any of those guys was subjected to the level of abuse that Mario Lemieux has endured in his career.
Agreed, and I think it was a combination of Lemieux never having a great enforcer. Jay Caufield was his best for a short period, and the instigator rule, which limited some of the effectiveness of enforcers.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
12-20-2004, 05:14 PM
  #61
The Old Master
Registered User
 
The Old Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: burgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,434
vCash: 500
paul baxter when his hand wasn't broke


Last edited by The Old Master: 12-20-2004 at 05:28 PM.
The Old Master is offline  
Old
01-11-2005, 02:56 PM
  #62
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 21,640
vCash: 291
Jim Cummins

The Kingslayer is offline  
Old
01-27-2005, 09:49 AM
  #63
bluebleeder38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The S.T.L.
Posts: 463
vCash: 500
Some fighters I thought of...

Mick Vukota (Islanders): I think he was pretty good IIRC.
Ed Kastelic (Whalers)
Dennis Vial (Senators)
Mike Hartman (Sabres)
Garth Butcher (good defensively and real tough for the Blues in the early 90s)
Glen Featherstone was pretty tough for the Blues too.
Mike Peluso (Blackhawks and Devils)-absolutely hated this guy when he was with Chicago

bluebleeder38 is offline  
Old
01-27-2005, 11:45 AM
  #64
Pure Slaughter Value
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
I remember when Gretzky's Kings were headed to the Finals in '93 and he was interviewed about how he was the most popular player in the sport.

He responded with something like "I'm not even the most popular on the Kings, Marty McSorely is"

Another great enforcer.

Pure Slaughter Value is offline  
Old
02-22-2005, 06:38 PM
  #65
NYFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Terry O'reilly had some epic battles with Clark Gillies of the Islanders. Gillies and Barry Beck also had some great battles. Before Beck got the injury bug, he was a hell of a player and fighter. Gillies and Nystrom were two really tough guys I got to see alot of growing up. Dave Schultz on Philly was also a guy who could throw down, but he was plain crazy in his day , those who didn't fight back he assaulted.

NYFAN is offline  
Old
02-22-2005, 06:48 PM
  #66
Habsfan 32
Registered User
 
Habsfan 32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Way up north...
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Tony Twist

Habsfan 32 is offline  
Old
02-22-2005, 09:15 PM
  #67
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab77
I loved Nilan with the Habs. '86 Cup and the Flyers pre-game bru-ha-ha, great stuff.
Back in the day Montreal had Nilan, Kordic and Corson doing some serious fighting, now they have The Latin Lover fakin' injuries, talk about comin' down in the toughness department right alongside Detroit there.
Dave Brown gave Nilan a pretty nice ass whooping in that brawl,. but Nilan is a very tough customer and was definately one of the best during his time.

Juicer is offline  
Old
02-22-2005, 09:18 PM
  #68
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
My favorite fighters ever would be two from the North Stars days, being Shane Churla and Basil McRea. No idea where they stand among the best of the past 20 years, but I figure Churla should be quite high..
Tough guys, but they were on the same level as Wendel Clark as they had lots of fights. Churla/Clark were pretty even and I would say Clark was tougher than McCrae. I would have taken both Kocur and easily Probert over both of them.(nothing to be embarassed about)

Juicer is offline  
Old
02-22-2005, 09:19 PM
  #69
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
Any of the following guys should be on the list...

Bob Probert
Dave Brown
Behn Wilson
Clark Gillies
Nick Fotiu
Bob Nystrom
Larry Playfair
Stan Jonathan
Joey Kocur
Marty McSorley
Dave Semenko
John Wensink
John Kordic
Dan Maloney
Glen Cochrane
Paul Holmgrem
Chris Nilan
Tim Hunter
Willie Plett
Terry O'Reilly
Tony Twist
Stu Grimson
Craig Berube
I think you are stretching the 20yr rule.

Another name not mentioned who was a great fighter was Terry Carkner.

Juicer is offline  
Old
02-22-2005, 09:21 PM
  #70
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Agreed, and I think it was a combination of Lemieux never having a great enforcer. Jay Caufield was his best for a short period, and the instigator rule, which limited some of the effectiveness of enforcers.
If you go to Broadstreetbullies.com, you will see Brown with two clear KO's against Caufield who is a monster.

Juicer is offline  
Old
02-22-2005, 09:22 PM
  #71
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim
Jim Cummins

I assume you are joking.

Juicer is offline  
Old
02-22-2005, 09:38 PM
  #72
bossy22
Registered User
 
bossy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
2. Dave Brown-The best leftie since I have been following the game close. Also one mean SOB, He would hit you when you were down, give you the lumber and also legitimatly kick ass.
and he was a real ugly mother as well.

When he tried to take Sandstrom (Sundstrom)'s head off with that crosscheck to the face...made my stomach turn. Way worse than McSorley and Bertuzzi.

One dirty SOB.

bossy22 is offline  
Old
02-22-2005, 09:40 PM
  #73
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Well in my lifetime I havent seen a better fighter then Probert. Nilan was one tough SOB too.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
02-23-2005, 09:16 PM
  #74
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFAN
Terry O'reilly had some epic battles with Clark Gillies of the Islanders. Gillies and Barry Beck also had some great battles. Before Beck got the injury bug, he was a hell of a player and fighter. Gillies and Nystrom were two really tough guys I got to see alot of growing up. Dave Schultz on Philly was also a guy who could throw down, but he was plain crazy in his day , those who didn't fight back he assaulted.
I know it is stretching the 20 yr limit to get back to his prime, but let me add another vote for Clark Gillies. Jethro was the toughtest player I've ever seen. He wouldn't back down from anyone. Didn't fight much - he didn't have to - few players were that foolish. And unlike many here - he was not just an enforcer, but a complete player - a tough, physical, mean SOB, HHOF power forward. And by the way, a really nice guy off the ice.

His series of bouts with Terry O'reilly in the '80 playoffs was the thing of legends. Two fights (TKOs) with O'Relly and then an OT game winner.

kdb209 is offline  
Old
02-24-2005, 09:35 AM
  #75
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
Here's the guys I think are the best of last 20 years
1. Bob Probert
2. Dave Brown
3. Marty McSorley
4. Jon Kordic
5. Joey Kocur
6. Tony Twist
7. Jay Miller
8. Chris Nilan
9. Dave Semenko
10. Stu Grimson
11. Cam Neely
12. Chris Simon
13. Tie Domi
14. Craig Berube
15. Sandy McCarthy
16. Troy Crowder
17. Georges Laraque
18. Jim Mackenzie
19. Lyndon Byers
20. Gino Odjick
21. Ken Baumgartner
22. Rob Ray
23. Donald Brashear
24. Shane Churla
25. Link Gaetz

If I were to include guys who played more then 20 years ago then these guys and some others would be on the list
Terry O'Reilly
Behn Wilson
Jon Wensink
Stan Jonathon
Bob Nystrom
John Ferguson
Bob Gassoff
Clarke Gillies
Dan Maloney
Nick Fotiu
Larry Playfair
Jack Carlson

DaaaaB's is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.