HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are We 'Buyers' Now?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2012, 02:31 PM
  #51
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend
 
quentez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
Nash is an elite player in the world
Is he really? I know he's been playing for a ****** team, but he has barely managed a PPG season in the NHL. Not to mention his salary cap.

If we trade Ryan I would prefer someone else in return.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:33 PM
  #52
DarthYenik
Registered User
 
DarthYenik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Fowler was our best dman in the playoffs last year and is playing solid hockey on our top pairing at the moment. His struggles are being vastly exaggerated, yeah he's struggling to put up points but his overall game is looking a lot better than last season.
I agree. He's made some big mistakes this season, but for the most part, I don't think he's been that bad since the Ducks have turned the season around.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:34 PM
  #53
JabbaJabba
Registered User
 
JabbaJabba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,251
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Is he really? I know he's been playing for a ****** team, but he has barely managed a PPG season in the NHL. Not to mention his salary cap.

If we trade Ryan I would prefer someone else in return.
To be fair, Nash has played in bad team all his career and still has put up impressive numbers. I do wonder what kind of stats he would do in a good team.

JabbaJabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:42 PM
  #54
justheducks
Registered User
 
justheducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC, California
Posts: 1,288
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
Nash isn't that great if I'm not mistaken Nash hasn't ever hit more than 80 points. Bobby is still young, I'd take Bobby on my team any day over Nash.
Playing with Perry and Getz would easily make 100 point seasons.
Nash had played with no one in his career. The fact he even gets to the points and goals he has gotten. I mean he always has to play against the opposing team's shutdown players and is covered by the best defenders in the game and still puts up the points he does.
I also think that Nash would elevate Getzlaf's game way more then Ryan ever would. This is coming from a big Bobby fan...

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:44 PM
  #55
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,207
vCash: 500
First, why is this a new thread?

Second, no, the ducks do not need another defenseman unless it is a top defenseman like Weber or Suter which will not happen. The defense is fine. The only adjustment could be Lydman's spot but with Schultz coming up either this year or next, he's an ideal partner.

Backup goaltender could be a need if Ellis is out for year (any new reports on him?) but doubt that happens with us already paying Ellis 1.5 million. Biggest needs are a physical 3rd liner (really hope we bring back Moen) and a future 2nd line center.

I don't see Murray making any significant "rental" moves. If he brings someone in, I imagine it will be someone he plans to re-sign. Only exception may be backup goalie.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:50 PM
  #56
DuckJet
Poster of the Year
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 50,860
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Fowler was our best dman in the playoffs last year and is playing solid hockey on our top pairing at the moment. His struggles are being vastly exaggerated, yeah he's struggling to put up points but his overall game is looking a lot better than last season.
Truth.

I swear around here it's like x player doesn't play like a star it's like ZOMG let's trade him! Then they turn it around (see Hiller) and everyone is like OMG X is my hero!!!! WE CAN NEVER TRADE HIM!


Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
Playing with Perry and Getz would easily make 100 point seasons.
Nash had played with no one in his career. The fact he even gets to the points and goals he has gotten. I mean he always has to play against the opposing team's shutdown players and is covered by the best defenders in the game and still puts up the points he does.
I also think that Nash would elevate Getzlaf's game way more then Ryan ever would. This is coming from a big Bobby fan...
Not worth the 7 million in cap if (which it appears likely) doesn't work the way you see it.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:51 PM
  #57
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
would you trade Ryan and a low end prospect like Smaby or O'Marra for Rick Nash...
No, that would be a horrible decision by Murray. In 2 years you would literally have one line making 23 million, on a budget team. Or... We would lose one of Getz and Perry, and I'd take both of them over Nash. Nash's salary would cripple the team now and the future. Hell no to him.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:52 PM
  #58
mightyquack
Moderator
You're the man Teemu
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Truth.

I swear around here it's like x player doesn't play like a star it's like ZOMG let's trade him! Then they turn it around (see Hiller) and everyone is like OMG X is my hero!!!! WE CAN NEVER TRADE HIM!
Or fail for high picks in this years draft

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:54 PM
  #59
DuckJet
Poster of the Year
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 50,860
vCash: 69
Henrique will be expensive. You can guarantee that. New Jersey's biggest need for the last few years is a center for Parise...and recently Kovalchuk.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
  #60
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,197
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Duckstudd269;44511441]First, why is this a new thread?

Second, no, the ducks do not need another defenseman unless it is a top defenseman like Weber or Suter which will not happen. The defense is fine. The only adjustment could be Lydman's spot but with Schultz coming up either this year or next, he's an ideal partner.

Backup goaltender could be a need if Ellis is out for year (any new reports on him?) but doubt that happens with us already paying Ellis 1.5 million. Biggest needs are a physical 3rd liner (really hope we bring back Moen) and a future 2nd line center.


We cant go another year with Lydman, and we cant expect Bank to have another solid year so I propose that we improve our 5-6 D spots. We have too much riding on the next couple of years with RPG and Hiller hitting their primes to just start inking in rookies on the blue line... U admit the D is fine and maybe Lydman should go, so why not just say that? we would be a much better team...

I do agree with everything else u said, but i think we can do better than Moen.

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:12 PM
  #61
justheducks
Registered User
 
justheducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC, California
Posts: 1,288
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to justheducks
I think we should put in a claim on Ty Conklin Solves our backup problems without having to give up any picks or prospects to get him. Only 750k hit.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:22 PM
  #62
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Truth.

I swear around here it's like x player doesn't play like a star it's like ZOMG let's trade him! Then they turn it around (see Hiller) and everyone is like OMG X is my hero!!!! WE CAN NEVER TRADE HIM!



Not worth the 7 million in cap if (which it appears likely) doesn't work the way you see it.
I think in all the Ducks season the fans should get a pass for swinging back and forth on the players this year

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
  #63
Fallenity
Registered User
 
Fallenity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Second line center is our greatest need, if we lose Selanne and Koivu after this season. I'd like to keep Bobby as the "star player" for that second line, right now he works kind of under the shadow of Teemu.

I don't think Lydman should be traded unless we get a really solid return for him. We're having Schultz and Vatanen (probably) coming up next year and they need a veteran presence. While Lydman is not as good as last season showed, he's not as bad as this season shows. I think he'll pick up his game next season, at least a bit. Plus I'd imagine Vatanen and Lydman could have some chemistry..

Plus, if we trade Lydman for spare parts, what happens if next season either Schultz or Vatanen don't pan out? While it's reasonable to expect Fowler and Beuch to keep up their level, Brookbank seems to be overachieving and will most likely falter next year. Sbisa is a bit hard to say if this recent development is concrete long-term or not. Visnovsky I think will keep losing his value and should be traded. Thus, if we trade Vis and Lydman, without both Vatanen and Schultz panning out, we'd end up having a need for a new defenseman next season, unless Guenin becomes a mainstay.

So while Lydman's cap hit might be a bit high for what he's given this season, I think he'll improve his game at least a bit for next season + provide a veteran presence for the new kids + provide depth on the defensive end.

Of course one could argue that Vis can provide that veteran presence also, I'd see Lydman as the better option.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:04 PM
  #64
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
I think we should put in a claim on Ty Conklin Solves our backup problems without having to give up any picks or prospects to get him. Only 750k hit.
I don't see Conklin as an upgrade over JDD, and he's a significant downgrade from a healthy Ellis.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:06 PM
  #65
paine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
The reason why I ask is cause Nash would be PERFECT for the 1st line. Perry-Getz-Nash would be scary and easily be the best line in the league. And If the salaries were exactly the same then their wouldn't be any GM in the league that would take Bobby over Nash. Nash is an elite player in the world and Bobby isn't (yet). Problem is then we may potentially need to sign or trade for an entire 2nd line after this season...
Have fun keeping Perry, Getzlaf and Nash!

paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:10 PM
  #66
paine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
I don't think Lydman should be traded unless we get a really solid return for him. We're having Schultz and Vatanen (probably) coming up next year and they need a veteran presence. While Lydman is not as good as last season showed, he's not as bad as this season shows. I think he'll pick up his game next season, at least a bit. Plus I'd imagine Vatanen and Lydman could have some chemistry..

So while Lydman's cap hit might be a bit high for what he's given this season, I think he'll improve his game at least a bit for next season + provide a veteran presence for the new kids + provide depth on the defensive end.

Of course one could argue that Vis can provide that veteran presence also, I'd see Lydman as the better option.
I agree. Most people forget Lydman underwent shoulder surgery in the off-season.

I think Murray will deal Visnovsky if he receives a good offer.

paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:19 PM
  #67
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 13,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
The reason why I ask is cause Nash would be PERFECT for the 1st line. Perry-Getz-Nash would be scary and easily be the best line in the league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
Playing with Perry and Getz would easily make 100 point seasons.
The thing is that we can't really afford to pay RPG what they are currently making to play on one line, let alone adding the $2M+ Nash makes more than Ryan, let alone the additional $$'s being necessary to keep Perry and Getzlaf around next summer. We need Ryan (or whoever could be brought in for Ryan) to be the anchor for our second line. With the way Blake looks with Perry/Getzlaf, that just illustrates what we need with those two - a decent complimentary player that will do what is needed to allow them to work. When they are on their game, they will make that line work with the Penners, Blakes, and who-knows-who-elses of the league. When they are not, the Ryans and Nashs won't change that.

Speaking off Getzlaf and Perry, it just came to my mind how the roles could almost be reversed between the two if they did re-sign. Last time, Getzlaf was joking around on how Pears "stole a bunch of money from him" by them signing identical deals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
I think we should put in a claim on Ty Conklin Solves our backup problems without having to give up any picks or prospects to get him. Only 750k hit.
I'm with DucksDVM on that - I don't think Conklin solves anything. There's a reason the Red Wings went back to their AHL goalie in Joey MacDonald that quickly after Howard went down and never looked back to Conklin. I don't see him as an upgrade, let alone as a guy I would be comfortable resting Hiller with every point on the line being the potential difference between making and not making the playoffs.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:19 PM
  #68
DuckTech
In vino veritas
 
DuckTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rural Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 400
I think trying to add works well on paper and NHL12, these are real people who have gained a true level of trust from being through the lows and the highs together they trust each other, we have depth that works together, I am a little worried to see the team when Devo comes in for George, at least he was with the team for most of the build up. I am even okay with JDD backing Hiller till DE is healthy. I think we are a team that will make changes at July 1 and nothing till then.

DuckTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:37 PM
  #69
DuckJet
Poster of the Year
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 50,860
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTech View Post
I think trying to add works well on paper and NHL12, these are real people who have gained a true level of trust from being through the lows and the highs together they trust each other, we have depth that works together, I am a little worried to see the team when Devo comes in for George, at least he was with the team for most of the build up. I am even okay with JDD backing Hiller till DE is healthy. I think we are a team that will make changes at July 1 and nothing till then.
The same was said in 2009. Murray still made about 7 trades (only two players from that year still belong to us). And we actually made the playoffs that year. We were in pretty safe position to do so as well.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:03 PM
  #70
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
The same was said in 2009. Murray still made about 7 trades (only two players from that year still belong to us). And we actually made the playoffs that year. We were in pretty safe position to do so as well.
Apples and oranges. Murray dealt mainly UFA's who were wanting pay raises and were largely underperforming that year. Whitney was acquired because they knew they would have to lose one of Pronger/Niedermayer. None of that applies to the current team.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:27 PM
  #71
DuckTech
In vino veritas
 
DuckTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rural Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Apples and oranges. Murray dealt mainly UFA's who were wanting pay raises and were largely underperforming that year. Whitney was acquired because they knew they would have to lose one of Pronger/Niedermayer. None of that applies to the current team.
+1

Right now this team is set up to be strong for some time to come with a few exceptions. We have restocked our farm team, we have a good core. It makes the question do we sell the farm pieces to win a cup or do we ride out our farm and make the play-offs but not be a strong cup team? I don't see too many players that have the right value for the prospects we have. Also I have enjoyed the way management has been drafting so I don't want to give up too many of our early round draft picks.

DuckTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:46 PM
  #72
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,858
vCash: 380
Would Chris Stewart + Patrick Berglund + 2nd or 3rd round pick be enough for Bobby Ryan?

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:58 PM
  #73
Seanconn*
mission accomplished
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Would Chris Stewart + Patrick Berglund + 2nd or 3rd round pick be enough for Bobby Ryan?
Stewart + 1st, then we consider moving Bobby.


... but how could we possibly be buyers? I thought we are already over our "budget".

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:22 PM
  #74
paine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
Stewart + 1st, then we consider moving Bobby.


... but how could we possibly be buyers? I thought we are already over our "budget".
Huh? I'd rather have Berglund than a 1st...

paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:32 PM
  #75
Seanconn*
mission accomplished
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Huh? I'd rather have Berglund than a 1st...
whoops, meant Stewart+Berglund+ 1st. St. Louis's first isn't going to be very high in 2012...

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.