Notices

No Hearing For Marchand's "Clip"

Old
02-16-2012, 12:33 PM
panny2727

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit the search party View Post
those refs were brutal last night, shouldn't even have been a penalty.
If you actually watch it in slow mo, you see marchand trying to stop and hold up.....then there skate blades collide.....he trips and falls into him with no bodily control....

Refereeing was absolutley atrocious last night.

Maybe they are trying to establish a different set of rules for the regular season so everyone is healthy for the postseason when they call 1/3 as much penalties

Last edited by panny2727: 02-16-2012 at 02:40 PM.
panny2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Joe Haggerty @HackswithHaggs
Reply RetweetedRetweet

Marchand when asked about hit on Emelin clipping last night: "It's a physical game. We're big boys. We can take a hit." http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-tal...2&feedID=10428
Yeah, by "we" he probably means the Bruins. Habs can't take a hit.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:51 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
This team does not have the luxury right now to serve the suspensions. Down Horton and Peverley, I'd prefer to not lose Marchand to suspension.

You can play on the edge, but when it turns into suspensions, you've fallen off that edge. He has a target on his back, and it's foolish to pretend it's not there.
Right but I'm arguing that you can't change the way you play because of injuries to your team. I don't think it's wise to tell Marchand to reign it in because Peverley or Horton is injured. It's not like we're saying "play smart" to hold a 2-goal lead in the 3rd. You're talking about asking players to change their mindset entirely because of fear of suspension. I simply don't think it's smart.

Furthermore, I'd argue this team wins when they're physical. Sometimes teams don't engage them physically and allow them to play that style if the Bruins don't agitate. I don't think it's any surprise that this stretch of poor play has coincided with the neutering of Marchand and frequently absent play of Lucic. I'd tell those guys to raise hell as usual and if the suspensions come, let the GM do his job. It's not as though the suspensions were frequent enough to halt our Cup run.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:55 PM
jahbrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
But no, I still don't like him as a player.
No Marchand = no cup in Boston.

jahbrations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Powerforward17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Really? I thought it was great. Someone at least showing that the Habs weren't going to push us around that night. Emelin was running amok and Marchand stepped up with a nice hit himself.

I applaud the hit. And in NO WAY was it even CLOSE to being suspension-worthy.
I agree. The best way to stop a supposed 'big hitter' is to hit him back, finish your check on him every opportunity. I'm pretty sure Emelin had a bad giveaway not long after Thornton slammed him.

Powerforward17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:32 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahbrations View Post
No Tim Thomas = no cup in Boston.
Fixed it for you.

Clearly Marchand contributes a lot to the Bruins' success. But I don't like his style of play. Never have, never will. He's a little POS and while he may be our little POS that doesn't make what he does right. On this very board we have gone on and on about the Sean Averys & Steve Otts of this world and what scum they are but when we get an Avery/Ott of our very own we're supposed to cheer him on? Forget that I won't do it.

I'm all for toughness & standing up for your teammates. I have no use for yapping, chirping & otherwise running your mouth. Just shut up & play the game.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Neely08

Where's the hearing for the Ulf Samuelson routine on Peverly????

Idiots.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:38 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Fixed it for you.

Clearly Marchand contributes a lot to the Bruins' success. But I don't like his style of play. Never have, never will. He's a little POS and while he may be our little POS that doesn't make what he does right. On this very board we have gone on and on about the Sean Averys & Steve Otts of this world and what scum they are but when we get an Avery/Ott of our very own we're supposed to cheer him on? Forget that I won't do it.

I'm all for toughness & standing up for your teammates. I have no use for yapping, chirping & otherwise running your mouth. Just shut up & play the game.
Sean Avery and Steve Ott are selfish players. Have you ever seen Ott get benched by his coach for taking a dumb penalty and then come out on his first shift back and score a goal because he felt bad for said penalty? And then give credit to his team/linemates and coach for helping him?

Not saying that Marchand isn't a brat. He is.. but maybe it's because i'm biased as hell but I think it's a real insult to put him in the category of those two. Those two are hardly respected by their own team mates.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:41 PM
jahbrations

Quote:
Fixed it for you.
Wait, you seriously think the Bruins could have won the cup without the contributions of Marchand? Really??

Of course Thomas was the MVP, that's not in question. But Marchand was the offensive spark that the Bruins rallied around. This includes his in your face style. I can't see how you can honestly deny this?

Old
02-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Fixed it for you.

Marchand was absolutely CLUTCH, BMC. Cant be denied anymore than TT's Conn Smythe performance.

If you like, TT so permitted guys like Marchand, Krejci, and Bergy's goals to matter. But someone still had to put the puck in the net, too.

No, you don't have to like the other stuff. But he's not out there b/c he can yap. He's shifty, has some wheels, and can score.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
lopey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Really? I thought it was great. Someone at least showing that the Habs weren't going to push us around that night. Emelin was running amok and Marchand stepped up with a nice hit himself.

I applaud the hit. And in NO WAY was it even CLOSE to being suspension-worthy.
I agree. The league's refs are now the problem. Every hit by Marchand is going to be scrutinized now and its wrong.

lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Right but I'm arguing that you can't change the way you play because of injuries to your team. I don't think it's wise to tell Marchand to reign it in because Peverley or Horton is injured. It's not like we're saying "play smart" to hold a 2-goal lead in the 3rd. You're talking about asking players to change their mindset entirely because of fear of suspension. I simply don't think it's smart.

Furthermore, I'd argue this team wins when they're physical. Sometimes teams don't engage them physically and allow them to play that style if the Bruins don't agitate. I don't think it's any surprise that this stretch of poor play has coincided with the neutering of Marchand and frequently absent play of Lucic. I'd tell those guys to raise hell as usual and if the suspensions come, let the GM do his job. It's not as though the suspensions were frequent enough to halt our Cup run.
I don't think the team needs to change the way it plays because of injuries. The injuries have just made the situation worse and shortened the bench, making the impact of a suspension even more dire.

I also don't think it's smart to throw up the middle finger at the league and not adjust to the way things are being called. We can ***** and moan all we want about the officials, Shanahan, and the soft direction the game is headed in. As fans, we don't have to like it. As players, they don't have to like it, but they have to adapt to it or risk putting their team in a bad spot by taking themselves out of the equation via a suspension.

Also, you can't compare last year to this year. Discipline is being handled completely differently. Last year it seems that the Bruins style was celebrated, and this year it's being cursed.

Again -- I'm not saying it's right or that I agree with it, I'm just trying to be realistic and call it like I see it.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:
Fixed it for you.

There is always one. The Avery/Ott comparisons make 0 sense.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:15 PM
caz16

vCash: 664
This from Shanahan's Twitter account:

... check by Marchand was delivered to the upper thigh/hip and not the knee area. We don't like it, but not SD.

Did he really have to add that last sentence?

caz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
BostonBeatdown87
Not While I'm Here.

At this stage, it's clear that Marchand has demonstrated his value as a pest is at it's peak when he's allowed to play his game. If the NHL continues to refuse to allow him to engage physically without handing out penalties like they're Halloween candy, we're going to have a hard time nurturing dependence from the protection our rough-and-tumble style of play provides for our smaller guys. The B's are a huge, angry child that if neglected emotionally, will eventually lash out when the frustration gets to be too much. It's going to be up to Clode to inspire hope in the team that they can get the job done with or without a leashed Marchand. If they can't figure it out, we might as well considered ourselves separated entirely from repeating as Champs.

B-R-U-I-N-S. The Bruins system.

Last edited by BostonBeatdown87: 02-16-2012 at 06:36 PM.
BostonBeatdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

good call. off to look at the outrage on the main board

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz16 View Post

... check by Marchand was delivered to the upper thigh/hip and not the knee area. We don't like it, but not SD.

yes because he needs to keep AV at bay

(alain vingeout or however the hell you spell it)

Old
02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
bostone737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Will they look at Gill's knee on Peverley? Probably not.
gill is not a dirty player at all, but THAT was the play the league should be looking at

bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:22 PM
sooshii
Living the dream

Brendan Shanahan @NHLShanahan

Like all penalties on the ice, not all "clips" rise to the level of supplemental discipline. This...

Last edited by sooshii: 02-16-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: oops, caz beat me to it.
sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post

Like all penalties on the ice, not all "clips" rise to the level of supplemental discipline. This...

And THAT is why he needs to be careful. There's only so many "we didn't like its" that one player has to use before it does start being SD to send or strengthen a message.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Fixed it for you.

Marchand is nowhere near Steve Avery in terms of dbagness. hell Ott at least has cleaned up his game but same idea. Marchand plays with an edge, and crosses the line from time to time, but to lump him into THAT group is just wrong.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:26 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz16 View Post

"We don't like it"?

I have a bigger problem with that than the questionable call by the ref or anything else.

Its either legal or not legal and its subjct to supplemental discipline or its not. This statement "we don't like it" should immediately call to question whether Shanahan and crew are considering what "they like" when handing out SD, especially considering the hub-bub and lengthy suspension over the Marchand-Salo hit.

I would personally be requesting a list of hits that the Director of Player Safety "likes" and "does not like" to ensure we are in his good graces.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Marchand is nowhere near Steve Avery in terms of dbagness. hell Ott at least has cleaned up his game but same idea. Marchand plays with an edge, and crosses the line from time to time, but to lump him into THAT group is just wrong.
yea hes not Avery (yet?) i hope he holds back on stuff like that in the future. hes got talent

Old
02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
jahbrations

I wonder if he liked the knee from Gill on Peverley?

Old
02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
"We don't like it"?

I have a bigger problem with that than the questionable call by the ref or anything else.

Its either legal or not legal and its subjct to supplemental discipline or its not. This statement "we don't like it" should immediately call to question whether Shanahan and crew are considering what "they like" when handing out SD, especially considering the hub-bub and lengthy suspension over the Marchand-Salo hit.

I would personally be requesting a list of hits that the Director of Player Safety "likes" and "does not like" to ensure we are in his good graces.
Pretty much. Pretty cut and dry, its either legal or not. If it's legal, but you "don't like it", then the rule needs to be changed, simple as that. There really should be ZERO grey area when it comes to interpreting the rules, but somehow Shanny has made one, and a large one at that.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote