Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sami Vatanen

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Markus078

vCash: 500
I've no idea why people here doubt Sami's abilities. He and Justin Schultz are more or less in the same mold IMHO. Sami is younger, dominated a pro league - and to be honest I rellay believe that FEL >>> NCAA

In terms of skating and shooting I don't see any difference between Justin and him. Size won't be a huge factor - Schultz is simpley not physical enough to differ that much. I think we have a stud here

Imho, the signing of Saku is also a huge plus for his integration and after two or three years I think Sami can become a 10g 30a defender if playing the trigger man on PP. He is that good.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:04 AM
Exit Dose

Size isn't just about throwing hits.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:43 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
OK grain of salt because I haven't seen too much of either. But based on the respective leagues and their performances the past couple of years, I think people underrate Vatanen vs Schultz in terms of NHL readiness. I see a number of people thinking Schultz could have stepped right in while Vatanen might spend a long time in the AHL.

Vatanen has been playing in a league that's roughly equivalent to the AHL. And dominating. His league is quite a bit better than NCAA. I think he will need minimal AHL time, if any. He's probably about as ready as he'll be.

That said there are very legitimate concerns about his size. And Schultz might have slightly better offensive tools. I think that might affect upside and whether they can translate to the NHL. But I don't think it affects NHL readiness.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Unless Schultz ends up staying, and beating out Sami for the position (which I don't think he would) I believe we'll be seeing Sami at least start the season with the Ducks. My reasoning for this is simple, he has something that no one on our current club has, hell, maybe no one since Freddy Olausson. Obviously I'm talking about his shot. NHL teams drool over right shooting defenceman who can rip the puck like Sami and I think he'll instantly make our PP more effective. He can carve out an NHL career with his shot alone IMO, though I don't think he's going to be another MAB, that's his floor.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
In terms of skating and shooting I don't see any difference between Justin and him.
There apparently is. Schultz' shot seems to be more like Fowler's, not being overly hard, but usually smart. Seems to have a better wrister, though. Vatanen on the other hand seems to be more like Visnovksy - he has a canon of a slap shot and he likes to use it.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Here's a good video of Sami's goals this year (not mine) the kid has a Stamkos-esque bullet from the top left circle. Kudos if any of you made this.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Omark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
I think Sami can become a 10g 30a defender if playing the trigger man on PP. He is that good.
Are you serious? Sami is the best finnish prospect since Saku Koivu and he was clearly the best player in SM-liiga this year. I'm shocked if he won't be 70+ point man.

And I'm not a JYP fan, I just have to admit that Sami is too overwhelming for our league (which is better than AHL) and we won't ever seen d-man who has as high skill level.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

It takes a lot to be 70+ point d-man. Let's first see how he adapts to NHL game. 10G-30A would be pretty good, and if he can become 50-55 career avg that would be pretty amazing.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:45 PM
duari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
It takes a lot to be 70+ point d-man. Let's first see how he adapts to NHL game. 10G-30A would be pretty good, and if he can become 50-55 career avg that would be pretty amazing.
I agree with this. It takes a special type of Dman to cash in 70 points. Not sure Vatanen can pull it off, but there is a definite possibility he can be as good as visnovsky.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omark View Post
Are you serious? Sami is the best finnish prospect since Saku Koivu and he was clearly the best player in SM-liiga this year. I'm shocked if he won't be 70+ point man.

And I'm not a JYP fan, I just have to admit that Sami is too overwhelming for our league (which is better than AHL) and we won't ever seen d-man who has as high skill level.
You'd be shocked if he didn't put up over 70 points? You don't think you're being a little loose with calling him a sure-fire 70+ point defenseman? There is, maybe, one defenseman per season who puts up numbers like that.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:18 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
You'd be shocked if he didn't put up over 70 points? You don't think you're being a little loose with calling him a sure-fire 70+ point defenseman? There is, maybe, one defenseman per season who puts up numbers like that.
Lol. If that.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:29 PM
JYP88*

Quote:
Im a JYP fan and you are exaggerating

thankfully Sami is fourth round pick so he can start his NA-journey whitout pressures and show if he can make it in NHL

Old
05-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

70+ dman?

He have potential, yes... but seriously, please tell me you were just trolling

Old
05-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Prepare to be shocked then.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:18 AM
YARR123

Yeah, scoring 70 pts as a dman is ridiculous, and IMO requires either an elite defenseman playing a career year or a defenseman that is hardly a DEFENSEman (Mike Green). If Vatanen becomes a 40+/year dman with a few 50pt campaigns and one 60+ career year, that could be considered a HUGE success. What I'm hoping is that he becomes good enough that he can show similar sick coast to coast runs like he has done in the SM-liiga without being a defensive liability. He's the most entertaining Finnish player at the moment IMO so him just establishing himself as an NHL regular would make me very happy. And that is also what I expect from him.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

It will be fun to watch him in preseason.
He is willing to stay in NA, right? I could see him playing some games at Norfolk (AHL) and for sure he`ll get chance to play in NHL at some time next season IF he doesn`t completely mess up everything in A

Old
05-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

You guys have just about got me talked into springing $5 for a preseason game.

Old
05-24-2012, 02:59 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
I always liked going to training camps myself.

It's free. Get to see some younger guys who won't get into a preseason game. Excitement for the newly drafted.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I always liked going to training camps myself.

It's free. Get to see some younger guys who won't get into a preseason game. Excitement for the newly drafted.
I've gone the last two years and it is pretty cool.

Old
05-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Unagi

Boy, there sure is some love for Sami on HF

Old
05-26-2012, 12:04 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

I'm glad with Schultz out of the picture, Sami will be given an even better chance to make the team. Kid is going to be something special.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:20 PM
olop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Boy, there sure is some love for Sami on HF
All I know, as a Finn (born -87) that i dont remember seeing any defender as dominant in FEL as Sami is. And he's still pretty young. Timonen has become a great offensive D in NHL and he wasn't anything near Sami's level here IMO,well I was a bit over ten then but still.. And I haven't actually seen any defender offensively as dominant as he is but I admit that haven't seen that much NA junior games, sure you over there have seen plenty. But just want to say that this guy is going to impress a lot of guys and be one of the best offensive Ds in NHL at best, at worst he'll be a good offensive D. He has speed, imagination, shot (right handed!), hands and confidence. I maybe a bit biased but anyway There's a lot to do but I hope he gets a good chance to play his play, BB should be the right guy for that.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by olop View Post
All I know, as a Finn (born -87) that i dont remember seeing any defender as dominant in FEL as Sami is. And he's still pretty young. Timonen has become a great offensive D in NHL and he wasn't anything near Sami's level here IMO,well I was a bit over ten then but still.. And I haven't actually seen any defender offensively as dominant as he is but I admit that haven't seen that much NA junior games, sure you over there have seen plenty. But just want to say that this guy is going to impress a lot of guys and be one of the best offensive Ds in NHL at best, at worst he'll be a good offensive D. He has speed, imagination, shot (right handed!), hands and confidence. I maybe a bit biased but anyway There's a lot to do but I hope he gets a good chance to play his play, BB should be the right guy for that.
Let's be careful with all the expectations as the game is different in NHL and Sami needs to beef up but yeah Mighty 44 getting to play under Boudreau's coaching is way much better than if he would play under Carlyle.

Old
05-27-2012, 11:59 AM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Let's be careful with all the expectations as the game is different in NHL and Sami needs to beef up but yeah Mighty 44 getting to play under Boudreau's coaching is way much better than if he would play under Carlyle.
Agreed. I can't tell you how excited I am for younger players coming up like Etem, DSP, Vatanen, Holland, Palmieri etc. because they will actually get a real chance under BB. I never got the whole "doghouse" thing under RC. I mean look at the players that were in the doghouse that are making pretty big contributions on other teams...
-Maxim Lappy
-Ryan Carter (has been huge for NJ)
-Chip in Pho had a good season
-McGratton in Nashville.
Those are just a few of what we are talking about with RC.
I am really looking forward to seeing what the kids can do in preseason/training camp.

*Notice how I didn't include Schultz*

Old
05-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
Agreed. I can't tell you how excited I am for younger players coming up like Etem, DSP, Vatanen, Holland, Palmieri etc. because they will actually get a real chance under BB. I never got the whole "doghouse" thing under RC. I mean look at the players that were in the doghouse that are making pretty big contributions on other teams...
-Maxim Lappy
-Ryan Carter (has been huge for NJ)
-Chip in Pho had a good season
-McGratton in Nashville.
Those are just a few of what we are talking about with RC.
I am really looking forward to seeing what the kids can do in preseason/training camp.

*Notice how I didn't include Schultz*
The list of young players who not only got a "real chance" but thrived under Carlyle's system is a hell of a lot more impressive than your list of rejects.

Closed Thread